PDA

View Full Version : Question for older Hi-Power shooters

Trapshooter
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Good Morning,
I bought some old primers from a long time High Power Shooter's widow. They are packaged in a brown paste board cover, with wood trays inside. The cover is marked

100 Winchester Cal 30
No. 120M PRIMERS
Lot No. 156
Contract DA-36-038-Ord 3916

Based on the contract numbers and the look of the boxes, I am a little suspicions. Didn't the DCM used to sell old components in the 50's ? What are the odds that these are corrosive primers? Thanks.

Trapshooters

robertbank
11-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Best to contact Winchester and ask them if they are still in business. Try FN who I think was the last owner of the Winchester name.

Take care

Bob

Trapshooter
11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks Robert,

Without specific information to the contrary, I will assume they are corrosive, and clean accordingly.

In several places in Earl Naramore's books, he claimed there was a substantial difference between the ignition characteristics of the old chlorate primers and the new noncorrosive ones, hence the concern. I plan to use them in light "plinking" loads, with Unique or 2400, or something similar.

I didn't expect problems with ignition or catastrophic internal ballistics but it doesn't hurt to take advantage of others' knowledge and experience. I won't load all 500 at once!

Trapshooter