PDA

View Full Version : lest we forget of those who fought ...

Digger
12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Please let me know if I am an exposure hog here ..
Found this site last night and thought it should be significant to many ...
With Harter's input as to his family history/involvement in Pearl Harbor , so much to be proud of on this sad day in history..
Reading the thread here on the Naval 16 inch guns got my curiosity up as I had already posted some pics and links .
I came across this site , it seems they have been storing this particular cannon with others at the Hawthorne depot all these years ...
Give credit to some individuals with foresight ...
apparently it came off of the USS Missouri ... it was in place at the signing of Japan's surrender.
Removed for some reason later on ...and now to be displayed in remembrance .
On this day of "infamy" ... to a memorial of the end of such a costly conflict in our country's history.
Link ..
http://www.nps.gov/goga/historyculture/new-gun.htm
Also ..
https://www.google.com/search?q=battery+townsley+open+house&client=firefox-a&hs=kXX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gL6iUubvFcfZoASW3YCoCg&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=612&dpr=1.5

GabbyM
12-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Another reason to save those guns. They were the most advanced naval guns put to sea during WWII.

There was a ship full of 16's in shore battery configuration headed to the Philippines by ship well before December.
Isolationist in Congress found out and had the ships diverted and berthed in some island port short of the Philippines Corregidor fort. Japanese Imperial forces never knocked out the WWI era guns at Corregidor as it was. If they'd of had the new 16's as they should of the Japs could not of even got in range of the fort with naval guns to shell her. When the Japs saw the guns sidelined it's a given that encouraged them in there mistaken belief we would sign terms after the initial battles. After December 7th the Isolationist were pretty much just told to sit down and shut up. That didn't stop a few of them from trying to sabotage the war effort at every step possible. Just one of the few thousand reasons I've little toleration for fools to this day. When it comes to our present war and true enemy.

Having fools in Washington is not new to our present day. In fact you can read history from thousands of year ago and it reads the same no matter what century. Wise men knew we needed to remember Pearl Harbor when they coined the term least we forget. Some remember and some chose to ignore but so far not many are allowed to forget.

Bad Water Bill
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I wonder if there are any photos of the shop and lathe that were used to turn and cut the rifling in those bbls.

GabbyM
12-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I wonder if there are any photos of the shop and lathe that were used to turn and cut the rifling in those bbls.

Was in a shop down by St Louis Illinois applying for a job. About fifteen year ago. Lathe they wanted me to run was larger than a semi truck. They made parts for ships. So don’t think we couldn’t still make them.

GabbyM
12-07-2013, 08:27 PM
P.S.
Those guns were expensive then and would be staggering now. That's why only major nations had big guns. Now we build flying bombs with computer guidance. Issue there is any piss ant dictator or ism can build them by the millions.

All the while our slave masters pretend it isn't happening. They'll let us carry a pistol in our pocket though.