PDA

View Full Version : First chamber cast

Big Dipper
12-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Snowing here, so a good day to cast my first chamber. I have a Mauser barreled action with an after market barrel. I do not know the caliber or chamber. i have some cerosafe. i am going to measure the barrel and chamber with a rod and then subtract the measurement by 3.5 inches. Run a patch to that length and remove the rod. melt cerrosafe in lyman ladle with hot air gun, pour into a plastic funnel and clear plastic flexible tubing to fill the chamber. Let cool 30 minutes remove and start measuring in one hour with a micrometer. Record measurements compare to drawings of cases. Them I am going to remelt and pour into an 8 ounce ingot mold. Any suggestions?

Harter66
01-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Oh no I hope you didn't wait that long. Its best to pour it and as soon as it frosts over turn it up and knock it out ,usually under a min. There is some cerro out there that isn't correct. It expands too fast ,and because it is intended to produce a zero tolerence cast it'll stick tight.

Bent Ramrod
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
You might warm the chamber end of the barrel a little with that heat gun before pouring the metal. You'll get a better casting with fewer voids and seams. A very thin wipe of gun oil in the chamber won't mess up the casting but will make it easier to remove.

By all means, get the casting out as soon as it hardens.