PDA

View Full Version : My 12 year old son broke his leg

longshot1154
12-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Well, had to be a first for him sometime. My son was rollerblading in gym class on Thursday and he tripped and fell. It was my day off but I had to go into the town I work for which is 25 miles from my house. Get a call at 2:35 from the nurse saying that he fell and needs to get some x-rays. At this time he was still in the rollerblade, as they couldn't get it off of him. Called my wife, who works 2 minutes away from the school at a doctor's office which does x-rays. When she got there, they helped get him in the car and one of the maintenance workers was able to get the rollerblade off him and my wife brought him to the Dr's office.

After about a 40 minute drive, as I was stuck in long lines of traffic, I made it to the doctor's office. They had one x-ray done and the image was on the display and I could clearly see that both his Tibia and Fibula were broken. Had to load him in the truck and bring him to the Orthopedic office 15 miles south. Luckily I have an F-150 with the Supercrew cab, as I was able to fold up both the rear seats and made him as comfortable as possible on the floor of the cab. Several Novocain shots later, they had it set and in a cast. Get him home and in the house and him and I were up to 5 in the morning, as he was in so much pain. Oxycodone just wasn't helping.

Today was rough, but later in the day, he finally got some relief as the doctors advised to increase the Oxy to 10 mg instead of the 5 they started him with, and the swelling started to go down some. I still need to adjust his leg on the pillows, but he will have none of it. We tried a couple times today to readjust his leg on the pillows, to get it up higher, but he starts yelling before I even touch the cast. Hopefully tomorrow we can get him situated better.

It's going to be a long 6 weeks or so. We were planning a trip to Disneyworld for him and we were set to leave on the 30th of January, but at this time, I think I am going to need to cancel as he might still be in the cast, although we would probably be able to bypass the lines with him being in it, that is, if they would let him on the rides with the cast.

Love Life
12-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Ouch. I've had a few broken bones through the years and none have been pleasant. I can't believe they are giving a 12 year old Oxy. Seems a bit much.

Tell him to ask all the girls to sign his cast...

longshot1154
12-07-2013, 01:23 AM
The first thing I said to him after giving him a hug and kiss and telling him I love him was to say the girls are going to be giving him all kinds of attention. That seemed to perk him up a little bit.

Love Life
12-07-2013, 01:24 AM
I hope he heals well!!! He'll get the sympathy attention from the ladies, and in my book any attention from the ladies is good to go. Plus, chicks dig dudes who get injured.

longshot1154
12-07-2013, 01:25 AM
They are also having him take 3 advil and 2 tylenol every 4 to 6 hours, but that wasn't helping him at all. He did vomit today and I think it was from the advil. Skipped the advil and Tylenol tonight and gave him just the oxy and right now he is out like a light. Hopefully he will sleep all night, as he really needs it.

starmac
12-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Kids are tough, if he is like mine, he will sneak the cast off a week or two before it is time. lol

Johnch
12-07-2013, 01:36 AM
I hope he feels better soon and the leg heals well

I am not a fan of Oxy for most people , most of the time
Because some people abuse it

But I was geven it 3 times for the pain after opperations
It plain worked wonders for my pain
Once they got the douse up'ed enough
I would not be in tons of pain

OH
Oxy isn't a pain pill that you can split in 1/2
As the pill is time release
When you split it in 1/2 , you defeat the time release
I was dumb and did that 1 time when I was in less pain and felt I no longer needed a full douse

Next day I got a differant pain med , that was a lot lower strength

John

longshot1154
12-07-2013, 01:48 AM
John the Ortho doc told me to give him half a 5 mg pill. I cut it in half and with the pill being so small to start with, the half looked like a sliver. I told my wife no way was this going to help him and she called one of the doctors at her work, the one who initially saw him and she told me to give him a full pill. He's pretty big for a 12 year old. 5'4" and 140 pounds. Keeps growing more and more. He looks like he's going to take after my wife's side of the family. Her smallest brother is 5'11" and tallest is 6'3". Much better than taking after my 5'7" height.

MaryB
12-07-2013, 02:08 AM
10mg oxy is middle of the road dose, I take that alongside a 10-325 percocet for my spine problems.

Bullshop Junior
12-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Ive been very blessed, And even with my many serious accidents from my foolishness and fast toys ive never been in a hospital or broken a bone. I will keep your son in my prayers.

trochilids
12-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Hang in there, mom, dad, and son. One of the worst feelings I have as a parent is knowing my kids are in pain. That sucks. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

runfiverun
12-07-2013, 05:58 AM
he needs to start working on his story embellishment, and get a good marker..,...:lol:

Bill*
12-07-2013, 09:51 AM
he needs to start working on his story embellishment, and get a good marker..,...:lol:

Absolutely...within 2-3 years he'll remember it as a parachuting accident when mentioning it to the ladies. :mrgreen:

OH, BTW....You might want to ask the Dr. about something for the itching in about 2 weeks. IIRC it was under the cast (unscratchable) and was almost worse than the pain.

MtGun44
12-07-2013, 10:59 AM
If they were able to just cast it, he will bounce back quickly. Make sure he gets plenty of
dairy products and maybe even eat some Tums every day. Body needs calcium to heal it
properly.

I have broken enough stuff over the years that I once asked my orthopedic guy "Are my bones
bad?" He literally laughed out loud (he had spent a couple hours putting pins and drilling in
screws and such) and said "NO, they are hard as heck, I had a lot of trouble drilling them>"
"Well, then why have I broken so many?" He just rolled his eyes (we get along great) and
said "High Energy Events!" So - take it from me - a lower leg fracture that stays out of the
joint and isn't in enough pieces to need pins and screws will heal just fine and will be a slight
speed bump in life. Just watch out for those 'High Energy Events" ;-)

After about 3-4 weeks they may add a walker rubber pad on the bottom and advise him to
walk on it.

Be aware that bones heal faster - once they are knitted - with a bit of load on them. When bones
flex, they give off a tiny electrical current which revs up the deposition and growth of new
bone. So short of breaking it again, "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger" is pretty
much true.

Bill

longshot1154
12-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Appreciate it guys. I have only ever broken my pinky finger, so I have no idea what he is going through. Pretty strange as I've crashed 2 street motorcycles and my kids dirt bike in the back yards a couple years ago. Got the worst injuries from the dirt bike as I was warming it up for the kid as he was getting all his protective stuff on, so I ran it around the yard once without a helmet and in crocks. This was in the winter, but it was mild. After making the lap, I was headed back to the house. There was frost under the ground but about 2 inches of soft ground above the frost. Rear tire kicked out and I went down on my face. Laid there a couple minutes to make sure I didn't break my neck then rode the bike to the back door. Went inside and my son saw the blood streaming down my face. Told him to get in the car, as I needed to drive myself to my wife's work before I passed out. That ended with me having a concussion and being out of work for the week per doctor's orders. It appears that he got my clumsy gene.

dbosman
12-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Disney cut back on their line bypass policy.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/09/disney_theme_parks_change_their_disabled_policy_af ter_people_were_selling.html

MaryB
12-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Smashed the long bone on the outside of my foot last Jan when I tripped over a friends dog(darted under me just as I was stepping over a kiddie gate). Drove myself to the clinic, doc took an xray and wanted me to rush to ortho for surgery. Ortho said walking boot and I can get see her in 2 weeks. He looked at the xray and let out a ***! I have broken that spot 3 times now and on an xray it is a mess, this time the bone was in 5 pieces but it was healing so he said let it go a month and see what happens. Little toe on that foot is twisted inward from it, big lump on the side of my foot but it healed. Broken bones are not fun, especially legs and feet.