PDA

View Full Version : Littleton shot maker cost?

randyrat
11-20-2007, 11:12 PM
What are those(shot makers) going for now. I found one place for $375 I beleive it was Magma eng. They said it was an improved model. Any used ones out there? I guess thats like finding mens use underwear or bluejeans LOL....Is anybody making copies, where are the chinese when you need them..

crowbeaner
11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
HMMM. Good looking wax in the photo. I might order some next spring. I haven't seen any used Littletons lately, and NO equipment rental location has had my brainstorm of renting them on a daily basis yet. (HEY TAYLOR RENTAL) Good luck finding a used one. You may be better off getting your buds together and group buying one with extra drippers for large shot. CB.

avidtrapshooter
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
There is one floating around on Ebay right now, last I checked it was a 110 volt 7 dripper machine going for about $280 used. Here is its ID #: 150188014977

avidtrapshooter
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Auction ends on December 2.

schutzen
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
$375 is the going rate for the Littleton. One of the other board members posted pictures of a shot maker he made himself (see the post before this one). I have a Littleton and I believe the homemade one will work just as well and cost several hundred dollars less. It looks like a good winter project to me.

Three44s
12-08-2007, 02:32 AM
That's what I thought ......... Why can't you make your OWN!!!

My thinking was to try sprinkler nozzles for dripper nozzles ..... there are many fractional inch sizes ..........

If and When I get brave I will post results or chronicle the DISASTER!

Three 44s

ovendoctor
12-08-2007, 09:32 AM
the one I made I used;

6'' cast iron fry pan, cap tubing[the small tubing on the back of the freezer]

soap stone[instead of soaping the bounce plate made a bracket to hold soap stone:mrgreen:

coolant pure antifreese [pure not 50/50]

3/8'' drop to soap stone ,3/8 drop to coolant

heat with single burner coleman stove

makes 7-8 shot [made t shot one time caus the stone was too close to the dripper:groner:

:castmine::redneck:

scrapcan
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Ovendoctor,

How about a picture of your flame driven shot maker. I think I can visualize what you are saying, but a picture will let me know for sure.

All,

You can order the nozzles form littleton if you want to use ready made. They aer pretty decent to deal with.

ovendoctor
12-13-2007, 06:56 PM
pictures are beyond my puter skills

redneckdan and his brother hopefully will be home for the hollidays:drinks:

we will post then:coffee:

randyrat
01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
the one I made I used;

6'' cast iron fry pan, cap tubing[the small tubing on the back of the freezer]

soap stone[instead of soaping the bounce plate made a bracket to hold soap stone:mrgreen:

coolant pure antifreese [pure not 50/50]

3/8'' drop to soap stone ,3/8 drop to coolant

heat with single burner coleman stove

makes 7-8 shot [made t shot one time caus the stone was too close to the dripper:groner:

:castmine::redneck:
Ok i hope you can explain how you attached cap tubing to a fry pan. Can you give us a little more details.
Sounds like a handymans project... Did you drill holes in the tubing and....details,details, please

Sam Carp
01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
A year ago at the Bass Pro Shop #8 shot was $17.00 for a 25lb. bag. One month ago it was $63.00. At that rate a $375.00 Littleton shot maker will pay for it self in a short time.

Sam

PatMarlin
01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I've wanted one for a long time, but I think I'm going to build my own. Heck- for hunting even a little out of round shot's gonna work up here.

crowbeaner
01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I already have 4 new B&D bullet drill bits to make the right size holes! Yard sales may yield the cast iron pot/pan I need. I have an old grill I can part out for the gas lines, and I may find one with a side burner to rob. I figure 7/64 is about right for #6 shot and if I need bigger stuff I'll find somewhere that sells metrics for a 3mm one. This shot price thing is pure bovine scat. I'm going to hunt with the 22 if it keeps up and save my shotshells for birdies.

PatMarlin
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Sure would like to see some pics of your progress... :drinks:

PatMarlin
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I already have 4 new B&D bullet drill bits to make the right size holes! .

What is a B&D bullet bit? What's it look like?

crowbeaner
01-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Black and Decker Pat. It is their brand name for a certain type of bit available at your local Wally World.

PatMarlin
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I see. Thanks... :drinks:

randyrat
02-03-2008, 08:46 AM
My friend and i are making a shot dropper. I could not see $425(couldn't find) for a Littleton. I drew up the plans on a napkin, he weilded and i ordered 7 nozzles from Magma eng($50). Next week the nozzles sould be here and then some assembly, sould be ready to tinker by next weekend. Now for quality of shot - good question.. We will just have to wait and see. One question i had was the angles of the nozzles to the drop lip, i beleive they are perpendicular, thats what we are going with so far. Also the distance of drop to the lip from the nozzles is in question. We are both very exited about this adventure. I hope the weather holds out. Pictures later.

PatMarlin
02-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Outstanding... :drinks:

EMC45
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Details, details! We want to know everything!

randyrat
02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I ordered nozzles, the frame is all weilded and ready to go. We used an 8" C channel 12" long, plate weilded on the back and the front. The front plate will be attached/weilded about 1 1/2 from the front to make a lip and the nozzles will be in the front plate. We are using a gas burner to keep the heat hot and fast. The frame was made so we can adjust the tilt. BTW the nozzles came today they were $60 for 7 of them. So far we should have it working and start tinkering Sunday. Those holes are very small, thats why i ordered them. They look like about .0150 to .020 size. I can't drill a hole that small.... Unless you got some good ideas on how to drill a hole that small, good luck. I am almost there. Then i have to make some pictures to share with you all.

Slowpoke
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Did anyone try the Natural Gas or Propane orifices for the drippers.

good luck

PatMarlin
02-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Gas orifice drills will drill those holes.

Good idead on using the orifices. They come in blanks so you can drill your own also.

PatMarlin
02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I ordered nozzles, the frame is all weilded and ready to go. We used an 8" C channel 12" long, plate weilded on the back and the front. The front plate will be attached/weilded about 1 1/2 from the front to make a lip and the nozzles will be in the front plate. We are using a gas burner to keep the heat hot and fast. The frame was made so we can adjust the tilt. BTW the nozzles came today they were $60 for 7 of them. So far we should have it working and start tinkering Sunday. Those holes are very small, thats why i ordered them. They look like about .0150 to .020 size. I can't drill a hole that small.... Unless you got some good ideas on how to drill a hole that small, good luck. I am almost there. Then i have to make some pictures to share with you all.

. . . . . . . ..........[smilie=w:

Sam Carp
02-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Just looked at the Magma web page, Littletons have gone to $425.00. I under stand they're selling like hot cakes.

Sam

EMC45
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder why?

randyrat
02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
In time grasshopper, the answers will come to you, including pictures. i'll be sure to share with all of you. We are going to try to finish this afternoon. We are warming up the shed with the wood stove right now.

rmb721
02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Hot cakes don't even sell like hot cakes.

randyrat
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Gas tips, Good luck. $15/ea..Drilling a .015 to.020 hole sounds like easy street till you try it. You will be challanged. You will eat humble pie and love it. Bying the nozzles for $6-8 ea. is cheap. Very cheap when you consider time and skill put into these. Dang yer good if you can drill a hole that small. I tried to make some shot yesterday it never got above -0 all day and i couldn't pour enough beans/heat to it. I have to wait for a warmer day.

randyrat
02-12-2008, 07:09 AM
After i offered humble pie to everyone( i eat it all the time), i found some Gas nozzles (propane?) #80 these have a very small hole in them. They would have to be adapted to fit but i think they would work and they cost a $1.5 ea. They are small and have threads. I figured i owe you guys that much. Anything that keeps cost down is good.

PatMarlin
02-12-2008, 11:57 AM
What one man can do another man can do grasshopper... :mrgreen:

You have to have the right tools to do the job. Didn't say you should drill a blank, but you can. There's lots of sizes out there cheap. Natural gas sizes run larger than propane.

If you are near a commercial restaruant supply, they can fix you up... :drinks:

quack1
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Today I was digging around in the machine shop area of my workplace looking for some drill bits small enough for dripper nozzles, and found nothing. A guy I work with that restores old Mopars suggested using the small jets used in the metering plates in Holley carbs. He said they come drilled in a variety of sizes and are threaded 6-32 and cost about $1.00 each. It would sure be easier to drill and tap a 6-32 hole than drill an .015 to .020 hole. The only problem I can think of is that they are brass and the lead might not flow as well through them as it would steel. Has anybody used brass for making dripper nozzles?

garandsrus
02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Quack,

I don't know about using brass for dripper nozzles, but molds are made from brass so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

John

rmb721
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
On "Littleton Shotmaker Products" you can buy the ladle for $90 and the nozzles for $49.
If the nozzles are now $60 the ladle is probably more too.

If you buy those two items, maybe all you would have to do is fasten the ladle to a hot plate and set the hot plate at an angle.

$150 or so would be a lot better than $375 to $425

PatMarlin
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I think the gas orifices would be the easiest to install and cheapest. Brass should work well.

I have a set of gas orifice drill bits, but you can call any repair shop that repairs commercial appliances, and they can sell you the bit and the orifices you need for a few bucks.

Here is a link to a wire drill chart:

http://www.andersonforrester.com/products/gauging_sizing_tools/default.html

Also, if you get an orifice, that needs enlarging a few thousands, you can get a nozzle drill set or reamer set cheap at any welding shop.

No rocket science needed.. :mrgreen:

randyrat
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I fired the shot maker up again after work today. I ended up with about 5% good shot still i need more heat. When i put the tourch between two nozzles they ran like crazy, good lookin 7 1/2 shot, the rest looks like drops with tails. I think if i can get the right/enough heat in the right place it will put out some shot. I can see why you need warmer weather to get enough heat in the right spot. My fiend is going to make another one and he plans to use propane #80 brass nozzles and also make his with less steal/thinner so it will melt lead quicker.

PatMarlin
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Here's an idea:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91899

Deacon Stone
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Just a couple of questions. I ran my first batch today and I need to know where I get the graphite for the lead? Second has anybody found the dimples to cause any problem with there pattering of the shot? It was cold today and out of 7dippers I only got the center 4 to run right. Oh, yes one more question what do I use for a screen to sift out the slobber and big drips? I have #8 dippers.

Thanks Kevin

randyrat
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Pat, very cool tourch, cheap to boot. The Graphite to use is used in planting seeds ie..corn (keeps the seeds from clumping) Buy it where you buy seed corn,oats,barley,wheat,ect... normally a feed mill.. you were lucky i only got 2 nozzles to drip at a time today. BTW my nozzles were $60 for 7 of them.

MT Gianni
02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
There are two types of orifice drills from #72-#80. One is the straight style that ends in a brass hexagon to chuck in a hand drill. I have broken many of these. The other and one I would recommend has a step of a #55 drill with just the last 1/2" or so being #80 or whatever size you get. It also will end in a brass base. An 80 bit is about the width of a human hair and fragile. Do not put one in a drill motor they are all designed to turn with a hand drill and brass and stamped aluminum drill easily. Some orifices are machine stamped with a D shape rather than a round hole. Naturallly these drill harder than the round ones. Gianni

PatMarlin
02-14-2008, 01:44 AM
I think you guys are all wasting your time when you can log on and buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150215533201&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

. . . . ......:groner:

Three44s
02-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Shucks ...... a GROSS of those Please!!!! ........... LOL!

Randyrat,

A thought occured to me ...... how about a lid to retain heat?

Three 44s

PatMarlin
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Well may not be a bad idea since it's so cold up there. And I know it is casuse I just talked to my mom #2 up in Edwall and she said it's been cold, froze, with 6' snow drifts alone.. :mrgreen:

It's 22 here right now.. :shock:

Could set a peice of plate steel over your rig.

randyrat
02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Shucks ...... a GROSS of those Please!!!! ........... LOL!

Randyrat,

A thought occured to me ...... how about a lid to retain heat?

Three 44s Yeh, i tried the lid already. Still i need to make another one that has less iron on it. The new one is actually almost built, it's smaller,less iron,less nozzles, one i can run in this cold weather. I just can't get enough heat to the one i have. Rather than figure out more heat, i'll just build another one to match the heat i have. This dang weather, tomorrow the high is only 3 above, so it's going to slow this project down a little. The new pot is a 6" C channel instead of 8" and i'm only going 3 nozzles. I will get the hang of three then i can always go bigger if i want later.

7BRU
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
hi randyrat. about how many pounds of shot do you think u could make per hour with a 3 nozzle job.

BRU

jackley
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
My shot maker is up and running. Making fine #8 shot. I made it like the one that is a few post back. Welded up a 9X12 ladle made the drippers from 3/8" bolts back
drilled them 3/16" till the drill was making a dimple on the head side. Then used a .020 drill in a dremel tool to drill them the rest of the way through the bolt. The hole in the
dripper is 5/8" from the ledge that is angled alittle more then 90 degrees from drippers.
The ledge is polished and rubbed with soap stone. Then the shot falls 3/8" into anti
freeze. The level in the anti freeze is kept from rising with the shot going into it by
2 brass fittings. These flow into a container under it. The bottom container has a
small pump in it that recirculates the coolant back into the coolant container so it
doesn't get to hot. There is a petcock in the bottom of coolant container to drain
coolant and empty the shot. The containers for coolant are made from gerry cans.
The burner is propane and I used one from a turkey cooker plenty of heat. To much
at first had to turn the flame down. The burner can be taken out with ease and is
back on the turkey cooker/lead melter now. The burner is hot. One other thing
that I did that I have head of no one else doing is making a vibrator and bolting
it on the shot maker frame work, seems to make it work alot better with alot
less plug ups. Even though I'm retired and my time isn't worth what it once was
I see everybody wants to know how much shot you can make an hour, with 8
drippers running and real clean lead so no plug ups you can get about 75 lbs an
hour. Hope this help someone J Ackley

PatMarlin
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven... J with the famous last name...:drinks:

Clever idea on the vibrator, and the dremel dimple technique. We like pictures.. :Fire:

7BRU
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
have u got a digital camera. i really like pictures. lots of us would like to see it.
thank you.

BRU

jackley
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
The burner is mounted on the center frame work and is adjustable. As is just about
everything here. There is a learning curve here, and the 1st few batches were junk.
Not enough heat, to much heat soft lead, shot falling to far, not far enough. and so
on. The ladle tips back so you can shut down if needed. the red can holds the coolant (antifreeze). The green can is about 1/2 full of coolant and pumps it back to the top container to keep the antifreeze from getting to hot. I found that if you rinse your shot at about every 25 lbs it takes
alot less time to clean for some reason. I made a drying screen from window screen and hardware cloth. I made a little cement mixer from the 12 motor that went to my old 10' satelite
dish and a 1 1/2 gallon bucket and some old casters to coat the shot with. (Its been a long winter) less than a teaspoon per 25 lbs. Now to the pics. I have an old Sony
camera that uses floppy disc but even with a new batt. it says batt low so these are
the only pics if I can get them loaded today. The one pic is of the vibrator its an old
fan motor with a nut off center on it.

7BRU
02-22-2008, 09:32 AM
nice job

thanks.

BRU

Three44s
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
What's in a name? ......... Well here it speaks VOLUMES!!

Welcome to Boolits ............ J ...... Ackley!

Fine job on your shot maker!

BUT I just gotta ask ................ Where does one get one of those "hood ornaments" that adorns your driveway at the corner of the garage??????

I would say around these parts ......... HOME BURGARLERS .............. BEWARE!

(Time for the BIG ONE!)

Regards

Three 44s

jackley
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
3 44s
Now that took along time to build the mold to pour that.
Jerry

jackley
02-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Finally got to shoot some of the shot I made. I would say I get about 90% good #8 shot and with the footballs pancakes and whiskers I see no difference in the way it shoots over #8 magnum shot. Even shooting from the 25 yard line. Shot 49 of 50 there and 98 out of 100 at the 16 yard line. With a little more practice making the shot my quality of shot will improve also. Just
cast another 200 lbs. wheel weights into ingots so when it warms up a little I'll be ready to drop
shot.
Jerry

chrisx1
02-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Great job on your shotmaker Jerry!!

Have you found any difference in dropping shot in colder weather? I was having trouble the other day, but it was about 10 degrees out. I wondered if the temp had anything to do with it.

jackley
02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
chrisx1
Its been cold here for awhile but in the shop where I'm dropping the shot I don't think it ever
gets below 65 degrees. So I haven't dropped any in colder temps but I have read some where
that it doesn't do so well in colder temps.

Jerry

randyrat
03-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I can't get mine to drop anything but BLOBs of lead in the temps around here. i have to wait for warmer temps. Does your lip come straight out from the laddle or is it tilted down at an angle from the base of the laddle and what is the height of the nozzles from the lip.

jackley
03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
randyray
I was having that trouble. I then tilted my ladle alittle more to around 20 degrees and added more lead so there would be more pressure coming out the drippers. The lip is at alittle more of an angle. The distance from nozzle to lip is about an inch, I stared out at 3\8". I also found that the lip has to be polished and coated with soapstone or the lead will stick to it and make blobs. With the propane burner if the lip gets to hot the lead sticks to it ,so a heat sink was added to the lip. When using the shot maker if the shot starts sticking to the lip I scrub the lip with soapstone and that stops the sticking and shot starts rolling again. Using lead softer then wheel weights will make big globs, I tried pure lead and you couldn't have gotten those things to go down a 12 ga. muzzleloaders barrel let alone get into a 12 ga. hull. Good luck Jerry

RaymondMillbrae
02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
cOOL THREAD.

aNY CURRENT PICTURES OR COMMENTS?

dI THE EXPERIMENT FINALLY WORK, OR WAS IT A FEW DAYS OUT OF YOUR LIVES THAT YOU WILL NEVER GET BACK?

iN cHRIST: rAYMOND

PS: Darn CapS lOCKS!

Fat-beeman
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a factory shot maker I don't use any more will trade for gas chyeck makers or 243 mold.
need 30 cal 22 cal 8 mm 35 cal gas check maker.
Don
used in very little less then 25#

scrapcan
02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
fat-beeman,

anything else you would trade for? I have no gas check makers or 243 mould. But might have something else. Maybe cash trade.

Let me know.

psychicrhino
11-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Very nice design, and the vibrator especially seems slick.

The burner is mounted on the center frame work and is adjustable. As is just about
everything here. There is a learning curve here, and the 1st few batches were junk.
Not enough heat, to much heat soft lead, shot falling to far, not far enough. and so
on. The ladle tips back so you can shut down if needed. the red can holds the coolant (antifreeze). The green can is about 1/2 full of coolant and pumps it back to the top container to keep the antifreeze from getting to hot. I found that if you rinse your shot at about every 25 lbs it takes
alot less time to clean for some reason. I made a drying screen from window screen and hardware cloth. I made a little cement mixer from the 12 motor that went to my old 10' satelite
dish and a 1 1/2 gallon bucket and some old casters to coat the shot with. (Its been a long winter) less than a teaspoon per 25 lbs. Now to the pics. I have an old Sony
camera that uses floppy disc but even with a new batt. it says batt low so these are
the only pics if I can get them loaded today. The one pic is of the vibrator its an old
fan motor with a nut off center on it.

shootinfox2
11-09-2016, 08:27 PM
I have a littlton. If you can wait till Friday, I 'll send you some dimentions. Send me an email PM for pics.

Read the whole thread before answering. Sorry.