PDA

View Full Version : On the list of things not to do (warning finger destroyed)

jmorris
12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
This is for all you guys that don't like autodrives and those that have them.

Keep your fingers away from them, at least the ones you want to keep.

This one didn't make it.

I still can't figure how the case went into the finger from that direction.

AlaskanGuy
12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Holy #%*^ ..... That must hurt a bit.... Did it take out the bone? Did you actually loose the finger tip after that?????

jsheyn
12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep..been there....rarely wear the t-shirt anymore

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Lost two (Thumb and index finger on left hand) , feelin your pain Brother. Heal fast and well.

Sgtonory
12-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Ouch that makes me hurt just looking at it.

oscarflytyer
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
D*&)&#&%%#!!! That goes WAY beyond OUCH! Made my stomach roll and brought tears to my eyes. Guessing the doc really had a field day with that one!

Hope it works out and you heal quickly! And I will be keeping my trusty old single stage RCBS press, TYVVVVMMMM!!!

John Allen
12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Boy, that hurts just looking at it!!

Love Life
12-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Holy shnikes!!

Desertbuck
12-06-2013, 03:35 PM
:holysheep I think I'll just stay with my Lee Auto index turret press and single stage for the rest of my life.

smokeywolf
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Never seen one like that before. Morphine please... More please... Keep it coming please.

gon2shoot
12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Once fingered brass? owieeeee

destrux
12-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Wow and I thought it hurt when my finger got bit by a lee bullet sizer. I think that would put me right out of the hobby. Thats right up there with sticking your thumb in a closing Ljungman action.

trys357
12-06-2013, 04:30 PM
WOW .... I can't believe what happened to you.
I've some accidents with power tools but never that bad.

44Vaquero
12-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Holy ****! I cringed last week when I saw the pick of the guy that de-primed his index finger! Not even close to this!!! OMG! I hope who ever that finger belongs to heals well.

TCFAN
12-06-2013, 06:38 PM
This is for all you guys that don't like autodrives and those that have them.

Guess I am dumb, But what is a autodrive??

By the way sorry for your accident.............Terry

Guardian
12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
An autodrive is used to automate a press. It takes the place of the person pulling the handle.

jmorris
12-06-2013, 07:03 PM
That is not my finger, a friend forwarded the photo to me.

The story goes that the fellow was operating an automated press and flipped the reverse switch for a different machine and hit the pedal.

They reattached it but he couldn't feel it so they cut it off.

I am used to operating machines that can rip your arm off and beat you with it so I am a bit more shy about putting my digits where they can get hurt. With the exception of getting a pizza out of the oven.

jmorris
12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
These are autodriven presses.

Click photos to play.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_VIDEO0114.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/VIDEO0114.mp4)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/th_VID_20130629_165943_746_zps1fffb858.jpg (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/VID_20130629_165943_746_zps1fffb858.mp4)

KYShooter73
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Nice piercing! Wonder if I could get my belly-button done in .300blk just like that?

Sorry, had to say it......

HNSB
12-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Did he manage to salvage the brass?

lancem
12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
After a lifetime of working around things that spin around and go up and down I can't imagine putting my hand near anything that might move without it being safed some way...

Pb Burner
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I wonder if the guy that did that can see the humor in that question?.....But wonder if he did salvage it?

jcwit
12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
OUCH! That hurts clear up here in No. Indiana.

Now back to my Lee Loader & rubber mallet.

Hope all goes well for your friend, I've had 2 fingers reattached after being torn off my hand.

Springfield0612
12-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Please find humor in the following! :twisted:

Wait, it wasn't a Lee press that did that to him? So this week I've heard of a blue press catching a house on fire, and now an auto-drive doing this. I thought Lee presses were the devil? WTH!!!

I can admit though that when I started reloading, my first month I was setting a case into the shell holder on a single stage press to resize/deprime it and I pushed the ram up faster than I moved my thumb. That half moon incision took about 3 weeks to heal up! Never again.

blikseme300
12-06-2013, 08:22 PM

I had to stop spewing a mouthful of good Port wine onto the computer!

Ouch! That's got to sting. My fingers twitched when I saw the pic.

jmorris
12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Please find humor in the following! :twisted:

Wait, it wasn't a Lee press that did that to him? So this week I've heard of a blue press catching a house on fire, and now an auto-drive doing this. I thought Lee presses were the devil? WTH!!!

I can admit though that when I started reloading, my first month I was setting a case into the shell holder on a single stage press to resize/deprime it and I pushed the ram up faster than I moved my thumb. That half moon incision took about 3 weeks to heal up! Never again.

I bet it had Lee dies in it.

The reason I went with bullet/case feeders and automation was to get my fingers further away from the "masher".

I imagine the fellow was more of an "operator" than a reloader from the story that was told to me.

It did remind me of back when my brother and I reloaded together decades ago and I was the bullet feeder and he was the case feeder and drive, managed to catch my finger twice, when I suggested that we swap places. He made sure I was clear after that.

I wish he was around to reload with me today, I guess even painfull memorys can be sweet sometimes...

Love Life
12-06-2013, 09:12 PM
How much force do you think that took? I thought the auto drives had clutches that slipped when to much pressure or force was put on them?

CastingFool
12-06-2013, 09:32 PM
feel very sorry for the fellow.

BD2
12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Ouch!!!!!! Sometimes updateing is just not worth it....lol

KYCaster
12-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Uhhhh...........corn cob and Nu-Finish will clean up the outside, but I don't know how you'd get the piece of bone out of it. [smilie=1:

Jerry

alrighty
12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
All it takes in one careless move.I have worked as a machinist now going on 23 years.The picture reminded me of my first year in a machine shop.
A guy with over 20 years experience was running a jig mill.It was his usual machine that he ran on a daily basis .He was boring a series of 2" holes in a large steel plate.He just made his final pass on the last one and was letting the cutter feed back through to get a good finish.He noticed a small chip in the hole he was boring and instead of clearing it with his air nozzle he reached in with his index finger.
The high speed steel cutter took it off cleanly at the last knuckle.The surgeon reattached it but it proved unsuccessful.
once you start feeling complacent the trouble begins.

KYCaster
12-06-2013, 10:41 PM
How much force do you think that took? I thought the auto drives had clutches that slipped when to much pressure or force was put on them?

It probably did slip.........when the finger got pinched between the die and the shell plate!

So that left him trapped in the press. Assuming a Dillon 1050 with a P/W auto drive, that isn't an easy thing to remedy one handed.

'Nuff to bring a tear to yer eye.....(sniff).

Jerry

Please forgive me, oh Lord, I find humor in another man's suffering.

wistlepig1
12-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Sorry for your friend. I got my finger years ago with an RCBS Rock Jr (about the first year of reloading) . It got me when the ram came up before I got my fingers back, the tip of my index finger was smashed good, took about 4 weeks to heal and the feeling was never right.

Who would think reloading / guns are dangerous when distracted.:roll:

John Boy
12-07-2013, 12:37 AM
HNSB, your sick man! Bet your the type at funeral viewings, words to the deceased widow are ... "I thought I saw him move"

jmorris - I can feel your pain having had a 45-70 case explode in the chamber and slice off the side of my ring finger that is now bent with no feeling. The best of luck for your medical recovery of the finger

bandit7.5
12-07-2013, 12:44 AM

A hardcore reloader, good question.

btroj
12-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Mechanical devices have no conscience. They do what they no matter what is in them.

I feel bad for they who lost a finger and praise him for posting this here. What better warning is needed?

I will never fully automate a press for that reason.

merlin101
12-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I wonder if the Doc. asked "do you own any fire arms"? Do ya think they called the police and reported a gun shot?
Yeah I'm alittle on the sick side

220swiftfn
12-07-2013, 05:22 AM
Uhhhh...........corn cob and Nu-Finish will clean up the outside, but I don't know how you'd get the piece of bone out of it. [smilie=1:

Jerry

.......just chamber it and pop the primer, should clear the brass.......

.......eeeeewwwwwwwwww........

Dan

HighHook
12-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Was think'in the same thing.

ultramag
12-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Ouch!!!

I think I peed a little just seeing that.

forfun
12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
wow no auto for me :(

Dan Cash
12-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Jerry

Case has a primer in it; simply chamber it and shoot it out:)

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Dan

or we could run it by Larry Gibson and see if its a suitable filler

mdi
12-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Just pop the primer and the case will shoot right outta there...

oldfart1956
12-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Great....I just threw up in my own lap. My younger brother worked in the coal mines up in Clearfield, Pa. for many years. Ran the auger...2 miles underground. He gave me a tip I've never forgot and bears repeating. "Never put your fingers where you wouldn't put Mr. Winkie." I think of that every time I get set to do something stupid with a digit. Accidents do happen...they happen less frequently if you chant the mantra mentioned above. Audie...the Oldfart...going to brush my tooth now..

Teddy (punchie)
12-09-2013, 10:38 AM
After farming and seeing, what say a square baler does to a pich fork and the handle. I recall what and old friend, meat cutter (butcher) told me I was going to cut my finger off, I was running a meat saw. Till this day if I'm running anything that can do any damage, I think about lossing a finger. Thanks Earl the pearl Pratt , a great old guy that would have love this site, country boy, loved to hunt large game (1950's), target shooter, regular game hunter, reload - caster, like to shoot bows when it was wood and string, shoot shotguns, and talk about anything and maybe sing a song he loved to sing.

Adam10mm
12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I still can't figure how the case went into the finger from that direction.
Looks like it's his left hand, case is in the middle finger and his index finger is to the right of the pic.

Gunslinger1911
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Ouch !

Can anybody tell what caliber case is ?

Adam10mm
12-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Almost want to say it's a .300 Blackout. Short case with a skinny body and bottle neck.

fastfire
12-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I was working on a project at a friends shop, the other end of the shop wasn't heated and his sister was running a table saw with wool gloves on(she found out that was a no no)when the blade caught the wool glove and took off the index and middle finger and badly cut the next finger.
She came running to me , TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITOL! She got them reattached with most feeling and some stiffness left.
Lucky Lucky

plainsman456
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I have had to remove a depriming rod out from under my finger nail before.

And had a trigger on a roofing nail gun stick and go auto,while nailing some 2x4s for a closet.

I tried to get them out myself but that glue they put on there sticks to bone and other parts of fingers well.

The doc had never seen anything like that before and i told him i had not either.He took pictures to share with others and finally got them out.

Sad part was the loss of a 18.00 pair of deer skin gloves.
It didn't hurt when it happened but when they got cold in the er ...ouch.

r1kk1
12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Had a young man decocker a 357 mag and put his finger in the end of the barrel for some reason. It was loaded. At least once. Couldn't reattach what was left.

Crazy day in the O.R. That day.

r1kk1

MaryB
12-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Can I hit the primer with a hammer? OUCH that had to hurt. Worst I have done is drive a wood sliver completely through my finger working at the cabinet shop. Was putting the plywood edge on lazy susan trays and we were fighting a bad batch of ply that liked to splinter as it was bent. My boss wanted me to go to the ER but I just pulled it and put a couple bandaids around it and went back to work.

Harter66
12-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I quote George Carlin when I say ''ukin' MEOW'' cause dammmm!!!

As a volonteer Fire Fighter I saw a few nasties but I think I actually flinched at this 1.
I too have had the splinter through the finger,I did a triangle thumb nail flag w a nail gun,ruined a good pair of pants w/a chainsaw and punctured my finger w/decapper. I was in a hurry in a hanger ONCE them J-4 Cub wing tips will wake ya right up when ya hit the floor.

I work in explosives shipping,the boss he has a phrase when the work load gets crazy. Slower is faster , take the time do it right ,don't get hurt . If it takes an hour longer thats better that a day in the hospitle.

waco
12-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Ouch!!!

I think I peed a little just seeing that.

I second that....

Gaucho Gringo
12-12-2013, 10:58 PM
I feel his pain. After a lifetime of working around saws. whirling blades, machinery that can kill you and other assorted dangers I still have all my digits. But they all have been either been broken, smashed, cut, sawed or have lost portions of them and I can tell you from experience that it hurts. And have also been shot with nail and staple guns, almost lost my right leg from 1,500 lbs of doors falling on it and almost died at birth. I still have empathy for someone else's physical pain.

BachelorJack
12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I know how he did that.

He was checking suction by putting his finger on the bottom of the die. You do that to make sure there isn't a clog preventing the removal of chips from inside the cutting/forming die. It's best to do it after stopping the machine. So accidents don't happen like that. But sometimes you don't stop the machine. You think you are faster. It's only cycling 900 cycles per hour. Seems so slow.

Then in a split second there is a pinch and this happens. I'm fast. Had the open mouth of a case take a Mellon ball chunk of flesh out. Grew back with no drama. My brother is slower. Had to have a pile of stitches through the nail bed to rewrap and attach the flesh to his finger. Completely unwrapped it. Since then I have seen three other cases like this from companies forming 300 Blackout on auto driven 1050s.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2013, 08:05 AM
makes me swet to look at it!!

btroj
12-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Yep, sometimes faster is slower.

Machines have no conscious, they just plug along and do what they do.

cbrick
12-13-2013, 09:23 AM
As soon as I opened this thread my finger hurt. Now on post #60, damn finger still hurts.

Rick

Big Tom
12-18-2013, 12:44 AM
New meaning of "hand loaded" ammo...

Feel sorry for that guy - must hurt really bad and I assume chances are that the finger will not make it.

OBXPilgrim
12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Wow, that looks extremely painful.

Wonder how that 'wadcutter' would group?

cbrick
12-24-2013, 04:15 PM
On the bright side at least it wasn't his trigger finger. Life would be tough with the trigger finger shortened that much. [smilie=1:

Rick

Valerko
12-31-2013, 05:23 PM
And I've thought only carpenters are missing fingers. :)
Fortunately still got all 10

jmorris
12-31-2013, 08:10 PM
The machinist that tought me a lot of what I know on the subject had been a machinist on an aircraft carrier, one day once we had become friends I asked him why he only had 9.5 fingers.

Would have thought it would have been a better story than a table saw building shelves for the bathroom at his wife's request.

Just goes to show becoming complacent is generally the cause of disaster. The reason why more people are killed trying to drive and talk at the same time than folks that operate lathes with a swing over 2'. One is somewhat innocuous and the other makes you take a step back every time it starts even after years of operation.

jsizemore
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Makes it kinda tough to pick his nose!!!

Safety malfunctioned on the nail gun while framing which is why I carried a pair of sidecutters in my nail pouch. Duck tape a napkin over the holes and get back to it.

russs
01-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the explanation of an autodrive. I also didn't know what it was. That picture is something else. I will stick with my loadmaster.

Pb2au
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Machines have no remorse, no intuition, no feelings, and no brains.
When given a chance, they will kill you. I grew up in my dad's printing shop around ancient presses.
I caught my finger in one and squealed like a pig. Dad made sure I wasnt going to die and calmly looked at me and told me I was lucky this time.
20 years of working with machines and automation later, I'm still in possession of all my digits.
You have to be careful. Period.

Nanook
01-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Until today, I had never seen an autodrive in action. I think I'll keep my stuff manual, thanks very much. Yikes, that had to sting a bit. It was certainly painful to look at.

Salmon-boy
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
All I have to say about that is:92449

HeavyMetal
02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Is this a Hornet case?

chrissy4560
02-02-2014, 05:58 PM
ill say with manual now for the rest of my life.... im kinda of attached to my fingers

pretzelxx
02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Never will I automate anything in the reloading process now. That made my stomach churn. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.... by hand.

ncbearman
02-03-2014, 10:51 AM
In the steel mill we used to refer to that as a "pinch point" and to avoid at all costs. Saw 3 instances where something occurred. One was when the 175 ton overhead gantry crane set a whole housing down on a guys foot. Another when a crane shifted and the guys thumb fell on the ground in front of me. The last no appendages were lost, but a guy got his hand caught in one of my printing presses. jammed up so tight I couldn't dis-assemble to get it out. Had to reveres the press to get his hand out. Thats when the damage was done. He screamed like a banshee but kept his hand.

tking308
02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Once fingered brass?

Now that's funny.

The finger however, not so funny.

rockrat
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Got an autodrive. When its running, my hands are in my lap. Stuck case or something, hit reverse, then turn power OFF, before my hands get anywhere near that thing. Who cares if I break something, I can always replace the part, not so much with my hands. I have enough scars on my hands from working on cars and such.

1989toddm
02-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Once fingered brass? owieeeee

Good one gon2shoot! Ouch!

twc1964
02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Omg, the pic made my yell out ouch! think i would have had to change shorts on that one. take care bud.

enfieldphile
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I am truely sorry for that man...

As stated, machines have zero conscience. Honestly, if I found a need for more ammo then I could produce manually, I would buy factory ammo.

Enfieldphile goes out to check on:

Lee cast turret press
Redding Ultramag press single stage
lee cast classic single stage
Lee aluminum Reloader C press

All still manual! Smiles, reassured, goes back.

MTtimberline
02-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Looks like the p*ss your pants kind of pain.