PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok if I only shoot cast in my AR-10? Help Please!

375RUGER
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I have one that has seen exactly 3 rounds with j-words, they cost too much so I sold them. All the rest have been straight PB/Sb/Sn/trace Cu? Obviously my rifle is designed to shoot copper bullets, will I ruin it if I continue to shoot lead? Will the trace amount of Cu in my lead, about 0.015% be enough that it shouldn't matter? I am water dropping the boolits if that helps.
I can still see rifling in the barrel but running a jag/patch through only give me a hint of powder/lube residue and nothing that looks like lead. I'm scared that I may have already shot out the barrel. Or worse-- that all the lead is in my gas system. How many rounds can I shoot before the gas system gets clogged up with lead and lube? I have several hundred through it already and haven't cleaned it yet. How does one clean the gas ports and get the lead out? It has to go somewhere, right? It certainly must be in the rifle somewhere because there isn't any deposited on that slotted thing on the end of the barrel.
I have near $2000 in this rifle and a few hundred in ancillary tactical stuff from fleebay, like vest, pouches, drag bag, etc. I use a Lee mold because I want to shoot as cheaply as possible. Should I be shooting a different boolit? Do I need a mold from Mihec or Accurate or LBT? This is a carbine 16"-What's the most tactical boolit to shoot? J-words are way too much so don't even suggest I spend more money for them.
I'm using LC brass since this is a carbine.
I'm using LBT Blue now. Should I make my own lube to save money? How much money will I save making my own lube?
It's also cold 12*F in the warehouse today, and I can't think of a better way to warm up than get on here and search for that sarcasm font I hear so much about. Where is it and how do you use it?
It's like trying to find the Where's Waldo thread.
Please help.
P.S. Sorry for the long post. Must be that time of the month.

popper
12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
They make a special BCG cleaner but I just use a flat screw driver. You'll get more lube & powder crud than lead. Be sure to keep the FP & hole clean, use the chamber brush too. You won't wear the bore with lead. I PC, even cleaner. Probably have > 1K through my carbine upper - NO - absolutely NO problems, hardly ever even clean it. As accurate as J-word too. I'm shooting Accurate 31-165B, GC, PC, 0.310 - slugged 0.3085. Feeds very well from the lousy DPMS mags. Your alloy is close to mine but I use no Sn, more Cu. I shot ~ 500 lubed before I PCd. Still no problems. Don't know what you mean by a more tactical boolit.

45 2.1
12-06-2013, 02:55 PM
No, you're not going to hurt it. It will last a very long time. Presently I'm shooting the 30 Sil boolit getting about 2,400 fps with excellent accuracy....... No leading at all, just minor powder fouling after a rather long time of not cleaning it.

seaboltm
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
worst case scenario would be lead/lube/fouling plugging up the gas port in the barrel. Easy to fix but you would have to remove the front sight base/gas block. Of course with the bolt on type sight bases, that is a real easy chore.

frkelly74
12-06-2013, 03:42 PM
It'll be OKAY. The big danger is to listen to the range know it all's who say it can't be done, do not fall into disbelief. Get knowledgeable about what you are doing so that you don't get into trouble and stay the course. I have run into some who actually move away when they see what I am feeding my gun. That is just fine with me, I like a little elbow room.

I would suggest that the Lee 312-155- pointed or the 312-160 TL might be tactical enough, whatever that means.

Blammer
12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
I have an AR10 I shoot a LOT of cast boolits through, cycles the action well and I get no leading or lube build up. I clean semi regularly and don't really get a lot of issues, acutally I get no issues. No lead build up, no lube build up nothing.

No you won't hurt anything.

runfiverun
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
clean??????????
put some more oil on the BCG, and wipe around in there with a rag occasionally.

KYShooter73
12-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Don't listen to these old coots, they know nothin about tacti cool. You must get some Nano-Tech CLP €¥! It made in Austria, about £200.00 a gram, but that will last you a month. The nano robot bacteria eat lead and excrete this stuff patented as "Ed's Red". You do have to install an infrared light source in your safe or the nano bacteria will die within a week.

375RUGER
12-07-2013, 11:40 AM
clean??????????
put some more oil on the BCG, and wipe around in there with a rag occasionally.
Probably most important thing to pay attention too. I deliberately didn't clean, only added a drop of oil on occasion, my AR10T until the BCG locked up on me. Wanted to see how long it would go. Took many hundred rounds to fail.

Just goes to show what a wonderful place Castboolits is. My tongue in cheek post generated good postitive feedback. All of this info is in here if one just search a little. But in short it's people like you that make this such a great site and willingness to put up with some stupid questions sometimes.

frkelly74
12-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Should have suspected something was up just from the post count.

375RUGER
12-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeh, I don't say much. Usually when I get to a thread the OP has what he needs so I move on.