PDA

View Full Version : Bullits not filling out

bobkk
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Cast some 38 wc last week and could not get the nose to fill out. Using a Lyman mold and wheel weights. Tried again today using a Lee wc mold same problem. Can't find any tin to mix in the wheel weights. Ben casting for at least20 years and this is the first time I've had trouble. Any suggestions are welcome. T hanks Bob
t

ShooterAZ
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
You can find tin in the form of 95/5 or 50/50 solder at just about any hardware store.

Idz
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
If you've been casting 20 yrs I assume you know about using a hot mold and bumping up the melt temperature so that only leaves your 'WW' alloy. Could it have been contaminated with zinc?

snuffy
12-06-2013, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=bobkk;2509897]Cast some 38 wc last week and could not get the nose to fill out. Using a Lyman mold and wheel weights. Tried again today using a Lee wc mold same problem. Can't find any tin to mix in the wheel weights. Ben casting for at least20 years and this is the first time I've had trouble. Any suggestions are welcome. T hanks Bob
t[/QUOTE

Bottom pour electric pot, ladle pour stream casting, ladle pour contact/pressure casting, pot on camp stove pouring using a spoon??żż IOW, what's the details? Temp of lead, or unknown?

Give the specifics, we can help better with all the info, otherwise we're guessing!

MtGun44
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Usually this is caused by one of two things. First is mold is not hot enough. Cast faster and/or increase
pot temp. Faster casting gives mold less time to cool.

The second is a need for more tin. Tin at about 2% will substantially assist in proper fill out.

Also - possible the molds might be dirty. A scrub with Comet and a toothbrush will do a superb
cleaning - although it is probably not best for regular cleaning, most applicable to a first cleaning
where it will provide a mild deburring, too.

Bill

fredj338
12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Try pressure casting; holding the spru directly in contact with the plate, then form the spru. It helps some molds that are stubborn. Also look to see if the vent lines are present & maybe carefully recut them. I had a RCBS mold that started throwing unfilled bases & recutting the vent lines helped a lot.

12-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a Lyman 358495 wadcutter mould that requires pressure casting, to get proper fill out. Don't know the why of it, but it works. Weird.

Larry Gibson
12-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Using a Lyman mold and wheel weights. Tried again today using a Lee wc mold same problem. Can't find any tin to mix in the wheel weights.

Obviously you understand the problem. It's just the batch of WWs you have now. This is getting to be a more prevalent problem. Shouldn't be too hard to find some 50/50 solder at a plumbing or welding supply place. Figure on adding 2% tin to those WWs and then if you've any lead add the equal amount of lead by weight for a 50/50 mix. That should be better for WCs anyway as they do just fine soft.

Larry Gibson

Shiloh
12-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Try cranking the heat and warming the mold. One thing at a time. Did the mold get oil in it?? I get great fill out with range lead and add tin if the other methods don't work.

Shiloh

rintinglen
12-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I Went through a similar problem last year. Bought some "wheel weight" lead of Ebay that was zinc contaminated. Took me a great deal of adding tin and aggravation before I finally used that s*** up. Tin is your friend.

runfiverun
12-06-2013, 11:23 PM
if it's just part of the mold it's usually filling technique, or mold venting.

zuke
12-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Get some "leadless" solder, it's 95% tin

badgeredd
12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
if it's just part of the mold it's usually filling technique, or mold venting.

+++1.
My first thought was to clean and inspect the vent lines. Tin may be a factor , but venting is always a biggie when a mold won't fill.

Edd

btroj
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Edd and Run have it. It a single part of the mould isn't filling I look to see why. Tin isn't always going to overcome poor venting.

Beagle333
12-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I do not understand how poor venting affects nose fill. For the rest of it and certainly the base, ... of course. I'm of the opinion that nose fill is determined by alloy/mold temp, and tin content. But I would like to be enlightened, please. :coffee:

felix
12-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Try filling a beer can with a small hole for the water, small enough that the air cannot escape easily. ... felix

Larry Gibson
12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I do not understand how poor venting affects nose fill. For the rest of it and certainly the base, ... of course. I'm of the opinion that nose fill is determined by alloy/mold temp, and tin content. But I would like to be enlightened, please. :coffee:

Me too! With one mould I'd consider the vent lines are maybe plugged....but 2 completely different moulds....one iron blocks and the other aluminum? The common denominator is the alloy....COWWs......add the tin......

Larry Gibson

detox
12-08-2013, 07:28 AM
I have one mould that will not cast using 16/1 alloy, but does fine with my Lyman #2 mix. Some moulds can be a real pain to cast with. Seams that RCBS iron moulds give me less problems....