PDA

View Full Version : Paid for my gas to the range

Freightman
11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I went to the range after building a frame and put some 1/4" hardware cloth on it, after all were gone I sifted through the pistol range berm. The frame worked like a charm 30 scope full out of the berm and I got 150# of 90% cast boolits, a lot might be mine.
The good thing about the pistol berm is I do not have to worry about tin, and soft lead ect as we have three commercial casters who are members that sell a lot of there cast to the members. I am going to have to get busy as that makes me way over 1000# that need to be smelted, but it has been to hot to do that this summer.
I already have 1000+ # already smelted and would passably be enough for the rest of my life but I can't stop I am addicted and passably sick.

Possum
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I know what you mean. I keep reading about the price of lead and can't stop stockpiling it. I get a about 80lbs a week net after melting. Probably close to 2500-3000 lbs now and can't quit. Something about the word free still appeals to me!

Sounds like you have a good setup for lead recycling. :-D

Ghugly
11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I just saw a report, last night, on thieves stealing the lead roofs from churches in Europe. I guess that is a sign that the price of lead is up all over. Time to get what you can. It's not going to get better anytime soon.

targetshootr
11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
You're sick alright, just like the rest of us. When I go to the range these days half the fun is picking up lead and the best part is when I find my own beauty-ful Keith boolits. But I pick up those jacketed ones too that look like petrified boogers.

:drinks:

Blackhawk Convertable
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Was at a SASS event a week ago and got "accused" of being a brass scrounge by a friend. Like you, I've been doing it for too long to change now. No longer a habit, but an addiction....LOL

GLynn41
11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
The church roofs are they lead or copper?-- The article i read it was copper roofs that were being stolen-- not that it matters to us -- still need to put away ww's while we can

hammerhead357
11-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Freightman, where are you shooting? I lived and worked out of Amarillo for several years and owned and operated a bullet casting business there for a long time. I have been gone for about 6 years.
I think you said that there are 3 commercial casting operations casting bullets there which ones or who????
Wes

armoredman
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Sheesh, when I run low, can I buy a few pounds off you guys? :)