PDA

View Full Version : New to Atlanta, GA Area

hardware
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Bad Water Bill is getting on my case because I haven't done this yet, so here it is.

I just recently moved to Sandy Springs, Georgia, and I am looking for information on everything.

Good places to eat, good places to shoot... and most importantly, any suggestions on jobs.

I'm reasonably skilled with computers, especially hardware. A+ is my only certification at the moment.

I've also done a considerable amount of work in the service industry (Gas stations, convenience stores).

Bill has also trained me in handy work around my and other people's houses.

Thank you all for any help, information and anything else provided it's very, very much appreciated.

Hardware

starmac
12-05-2013, 05:20 PM
I can't help you out with any answers, but I have to ask why atlanta???? Is it just you wouldn't miss Chicago too bad?

Bad Water Bill
12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I can't help you out with any answers, but I have to ask why atlanta???? Is it just you wouldn't miss Chicago too bad?

He hates our politics and cold weather.:bigsmyl2:

Bohica793
12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I lived in Atlanta for 23 years up until 2 years ago when I moved to a nice little paradise near the Alabama gulf coast. My sympathies to you for moving there. That being said, I can give you the following recommendations:

Favorite Hotdog: The Varsity, hands down.
Favorite Italian Restaurant: Mazianno's Little Italy at Perimeter Place
Favorite Chinese: Happy Garden Peachtree Parkway at Peachtree Industrial in Norcross
Favorite Beer and Wings: Taco Mac, hands down
Best burger: The Vortex in midtown, Eclectic crowd (meaning pretty weird people) but the food is good.
Others: Too many good ones to count. All of the Ray's restaurants (Ray's in the City, On The River and Killer Creek) are excellent and somewhat pricey.

Shooting: Hotshots in Marietta. There is also a place off 400N near Cumming but I can't remember the name.

Good luck. Do not go downtown after dark unarmed (kind of applies in daylight these days also) and avoid the SW side of Atlanta and Dekalb county like the plague (my opinion).

starmac
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
He hates our politics and cold weather.:bigsmyl2:

I can understand that completely. But Atlanta would never be one of my picks. As someone else said, there are lots of places to avoid there, I would never even spend the night in the truckstops there when I was running that country.

Love Life
12-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Ya'll be careful talking about Georgia, or another member might threaten to buttstroke you and cry crocodile tears.....

btroj
12-05-2013, 07:29 PM
And don't comment on southerners dating cousins, I got a nasty PM over that.

Love Life
12-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Hehehe...You must have southerners confused with West Virginians!!!

wlc
12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
My condolences. Atlanta aint my idea of a good place to live. I lived in NE Ga my entire life till we moved up here and I avoided going to ATL as much as possible. When I go back to visit it seems waaaaaay too crowded any more. The Varsity is the best hotdog in ATL. Don't forget the frosted orange too.

Love Life
12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
How good are you at electrical work? My uncle and FIL both own their own electrician companies, and are having a hard time finding qualified help who also show up on time, actually show up, and/or show up sober.

They are a solid 3 hours away from Atlanta (a good thing) live a in a small town, their pay is competitive for the area, and there is a pistol/rifle range/club in their town.

HodakaGA
12-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Welcome to Georgia. Since you are on the north side, if you have an AR15, I recommend heading to Riverbend Gun Club and doing Ben Franklin's service rifle Match-Clinic. Lots of fun, good friendly people, nice range, excellent instruction, only $20 and you can win some money (he does flights so everybody has a chance at some dough). Usually 4 or more High Masters who help out new shooters. Ben even has some loaner equipment. You shoot reduced targets at 100 yds. so no worries about changing sight settings. I've even done it with my 10-22 with TechSights. Actually shot my best score with it instead of my AR.

I've done it a few times and it's a 2.5 - 3 hour drive for me. If I lived closer I'd be a member in a heartbeat.

Afterwards head home back through Dawsonville for a plate of Varsity Chilidogs and onion rings. Wash it down with a Frosted Orange. Makes for a fun day.

They do one of the Glock GSSF matches every July too. They shoot it on the Cowboy range. Cool setup.

EMC45
12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Vortex is good grub. The mtns are close as well. Keep on a look out. ATL can be "unfriendly".

RickinTN
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Off of the Griffin exit just south of the airport going south west (right) is an excellent seafood restaurant about 5 miles on the left but can't remember the name. The same exit and a little further (in Griffin) is Cherokee Rose, one of the best sporting clays facilities east of the Mississippi.

Rick

hardware
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Thank you all for the outpouring wealth of knowledge, I'll have to try these places soon.

Love Life- I don't have any certifications or anything, and I haven't done that much myself. I helped a bit when Bill rewired his house completely. Enough that I was able to troubleshoot our thermostat at the new apartment here when maintenance did it wrong due to a wire colored wrong for the current system.

Love Life
12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Being in the deep dirty south, I would highly recommend you go to school and learn a trade. Ectricity, plumbing, HVAC, welding, machining, etc. A trade is worth more in the south than most degrees are.

hardware
12-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't have a degree. I do have a certification in fixing PCs, for what that's worth.

MtGun44
12-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Sad to say, but unless you are well outside of Atlanta, you are only going to see a moderate difference
from Chicago except the weather. That city is pretty corrupt, too. The STATE is pretty good and
small town GA can be great, but Atlanta is pretty much a whole different place.

I have family near Savannah and it is a lot better there, but again, stay in the 'burbs. Downtown
Savannah has some really nice places, but a few not so nice, too.

Bill

Love Life
12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I reckon PC work is always available. Get some insurance and get you an ad in a local paper. I called my uncle and they still need workers, but they are looking for full fledged electricians at this time. They can use ditch diggers if you're interested in that. It's not what you're looking for, but it'll put some money in your pocket and if you work hard it can turn into solid job if you push on and get your electricians license.

Atlanta isn't top choice for most people, but it is a bustling metropolis and you should be able to find some kind of work.

If you take no other advice, heed the following words: STAY AWAY FROM MARIETTA!!!!

bruce drake
12-07-2013, 01:29 AM
look into the universities in the metro Atlanta area for IT support. Kennesaw State University is growing everyday and they may be hiring an A+ certified tech. While you are in the Kennesaw area, check out the Marietta Diner for some great grub as well. The Cheesecake selection will strain your beltline just looking at the display cases...

bruce drake
12-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Also look up Twotrees here on the forum. He worked or still works at Georgia Tech in their Physics/Engineering Labs and lives on the west side of town.

hardware
12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, been dealing with some work around the apartment this weekend. Thank you again for all the suggestions of good eats.

I should also clarify: I'm in northwestern Sandy Springs, not Atlanta itself, was just using Atlanta as a general area.

Love Life- I thank you and your relations for the offer, but I'm just not cut out for heavy manual labor, unfortunately.

bruce drake- I do not know why that never occurred to me, looking at the universities. I've actually even done work like that before... I'll have to look up Twotrees as well, on that note