PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Powder References

Ed Gallop
12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I had a friend give me some old powder for reloading him a box of 30.30. I've stored them for over a year. I just tried to locate information about their use but came up empty. They are Unique Hercules with a number HER 21073 but that is all the information I could find. Another can was Alcan AL-7. Does anyone know where I can find info?

35remington
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
If you can't find data for Unique online you're living in another solar system. AL-7 has been unavailable for some time now and data is much harder to find.

To find data for Unique in 30-30 (these will not be full power but rather lower velocity loads) please buy a data manual like those from Lyman.

RayinNH
12-05-2013, 05:01 PM
The Lyman #3 Cast Bullet Handbook had data for Alcan 7 and if I recall the older Speer manuals did as well. A search of the powder section of this site might yield you more answers....Ray

jonp
12-05-2013, 09:40 PM
He may be wondering if unique hercules uses the same data as modern alliant unique.

Valid question imho

dbosman
12-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Manuals prior to 1992 should have the "old" Unique data.

My Speer #7 from 1967 lists loads for AL-7 and Unique. If you have specific cartridges you want to use these powders in, let me know and I'll forward some scans.

runfiverun
12-06-2013, 12:27 AM
the HER 21073 number is a date - lot code.
i'm guessing you have a cardboard can.
AL-7 is pretty close in burn rate to the unique area.

MtGun44
12-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Unique is the same regardless of the name of the owners of the
factory. The HER number is irrelevant to the fact that there is tons
of info on the Alliant web site and in dozens of loading books.

Bill

myg30
12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Also you might want to give them a quick sniff..., If either do not smell sweet and have an ACRID odor you might re consider using them.
Not sure of age and previous storage conditions.

Mike

Ed Gallop
12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
He may be wondering if unique hercules uses the same data as modern alliant unique.

Valid question imho

Sorry I wasn't clear... I was looking for load data and if Hercules is the same as Alliant's. I have read where changes were made when the makers change. That subject is what I was searching for.
It is an old can (cardboard) with a worn label and I will smell it... Thanks.
I found the powders exist but no burn rate or load data. Just want to be accurate and do it right.
I don't have many older manuals with old powder references. I have Speer and Lyman manuals, among others, but they are only about 5 years old, a few older, and they list Unique but not the older Hercules. I found no reference to AL-7 but will look closer.
Ahhh... Search this site. Didn't think of that. Thanks.

I'm from this planet 35remington, and I am somewhat knowledgeable, but not as much as most here (that's why I'm here). I used to frequent this site often a few years ago but bad health changed my life about 3 years ago, until recent recovery. I have cast and loaded for over 40 to 45 years (off and on) but have a routine for only 30.30, 7.62x54, 38, 357, 45, 45 Colt and 9mm. Shotgun too, even black powder in the Colt 45. I plan to reload a few more calibers for my sons and a couple local friends with new guns as soon as they get dies. I have been accused as a perfectionist because of my loading practices and testing in the field. I just enjoy the challenge. Great hobby, even if my old age eye site has slipped me off center target.

Thanks to all here. I will continue my research on this subject, and also do a better job with future research before I ask questions again, so I appear from Earth. :-)

MtGun44
12-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Unique is one of those ones that "everybody knows about" so people are surprised sometimes by things.

VERY little chance that the Unique is bad. They still have some from the first batch ever, something like 1899 or 1905
and it is fine. It IS stored under water in a fish tank, but when you dry it out, it is just fine.

Bill

runfiverun
12-06-2013, 11:44 PM
ED use google to search the sight here it come back with better results than the sights search feature.
i wouldn't worry about the unique data, use the newer data to get started and you will be fine.
AL-7 hasn't been made snce the 80's [airc] but there is data posted here about it.