PDA

View Full Version : When sizing and installing gas checks- right side up, or up side down?

hawaii five-0
12-04-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm going to be installing gas checks and sizing Boolits cast from the Lee C312-155-2R mold. Do you guys put them through nose first, or upside down? seems like upside down would help seat gas check.

kevmc
12-04-2013, 09:19 PM
What type sizing press???
Std. press...RCBS/Lyman......butt first!!!

KYShooter73
12-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I seat those in my lee .311 sizer nose first. They seem to seat on just fine. For my pop-can checks on 9mm I push them through base first.

hawaii five-0
12-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a Lee classic press and Lee sizing die.

Larry Gibson
12-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Depends on;

Alloy hardness: is the alloy hard enough that the bullet is not squished or bent when pushed through. If so I generally push base through first. This also is dependent on how much the bullet is to be sized from as cast.

GC does not seat all the way before sizing. If not I push base through which seats the GC flat on the bullet shank base before crimping. If alloy is hard enough.

Alloy is soft and GC slips on completely before sizing/crimping I push them through nose first.

With PB'd cast I always try to push base first.

Larry Gibson

P.S. I always lube the bullets before sizing/crimping

Fishman
12-05-2013, 12:59 AM
With that design and unmodified lee size die, you must size nose first. Just snap the check on and it will work fine.

44man
12-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I have checks pull back in Lee dies when sized nose first. Some have had lube get under the check.
You can't do it base first with that boolit unless you have a base punch to fit the nose so you need to go nose first.
Won't hurt anything anyway.