PDA

View Full Version : Family Feud

Pages : [1] 2

waco
12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of it here lately.
Or maybe it's just me.....

Guesser
12-04-2013, 06:51 PM
?????????????????????????

waco
12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Lots of long winded arguments of several threads.

blackthorn
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Not just you! Ya know? I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago. Maybe cabin fever has set in early this year? Sure seems to be an over-abundance of "Thin-skin Syndrome" around lately! Still the best place around!

ShooterAZ
12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
It's probably because people keep posting about Doe Run, and can I shoot this boolit without a gas check. Or not having any loading manuals and coming here looking for instant load data gratification.

Love Life
12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I drink alot, and dost prunk!!

Not really.

waco
12-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Not really.

Lmao!!!!!

jmort
12-04-2013, 07:18 PM
This thread T's me off. I'm tired of complaining about complaining and arguing about arguing. [smilie=p:

osteodoc08
12-04-2013, 07:21 PM
It's no different than any other forum I belong to. Gotta take the good with the bad and weed out the trolls.

Don't feed the trolls.

JeffinNZ
12-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I believe it the "Foundation of the Perpetually Indignant" at work.

dverna
12-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Here is the danger. Good talented people can get driven off or stop posting because of all the BS. I have seen it happen on other forums.

I wonder if a "Premium Membership" forum would work. It would have fewer sub forums - maybe none. Cost would be high enough to keep the trolls out - say $100/year. This weeds out guys who will not spend $25 for a manual. Premium members would still be able to post on the current forums but have a place where like minded people could interact.

It will also give the forum additional revenue.

I feel that I receive great value from this site only because of the few handfuls of talented people who reside here.

Don Verna

Garyshome
12-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Come over to my forum, none of that there!

Nrut
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Not really.
Why not?
Sounds like fun!

varmint243
12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
It's just like "All In The Family" >fast forward a few years
Instead of the Hippies vs. the WWII generation,
It's the guys raised with Google on their cell phones vs. the guys that were raised with the Dewey Decimal system.
Mike and Archie argued a lot but they still needed and loved each other.
Doesn't this sort of thing happen with every new generation that comes along :)

btroj
12-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Nah, not a feud.

We just have some people with many years of experience who have strong views on things. Seems that a guy gets to a certain age and he just tires of BS.

We are loud, vocal, opinionated, and at times gruff. Long as it is not personal I don't care.

dezynco86
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Try asking a question about an AR15 on one of the AR15 forums! Every armchair warrior and "tacti-cool" geek will heap their "knowledge" upon you, even if it doesn't answer your question. I had a problem with a reload and a stuck bolt, and wanted to know what was the best way to get a sticky bolt out of the gun. I didn't get any answers, but I got told what an idiot I was and that I didn't know what I was doing. I was told that since I was a newcomer to reloading that I needed to be extra careful reloading until I got more experience, etc. etc. blah, blah, blah.

I've been reloading my own cartridges for nearly 40 years! (Not saying I'm too old to learn something new) I managed to solve my own problem with the stuck cartridge anyway.

btroj
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
That is one HUGE difference here- armchair quarterbacks, mall ninjas, and tacticool guys don't last long here.. The majority of the gruff guys here have the years of experience to back up what they say.

We are a bit of a "put up or shut up" kind of site. BS doesn't hack it here.

Matter of fact, this is exactly why I don't frequent other sites. This one suits me fine.

paul h
12-04-2013, 09:18 PM
It's the beginning of the cabin fever season in some parts of the country which can lead to some folks being more crochety than normal.

bhn22
12-04-2013, 09:50 PM
We live in a frustrating time in history, anxiety is everywhere. I talk daily with people who are frustrated, and don't even know why. There is of course, more than one reason for the pain, and it's different to different people. We just need to make it through this.

Recluse
12-04-2013, 09:53 PM
That is one HUGE difference here- armchair quarterbacks, mall ninjas, and tacticool guys don't last long here.. The majority of the gruff guys here have the years of experience to back up what they say.

We are a bit of a "put up or shut up" kind of site. BS doesn't hack it here.

Matter of fact, this is exactly why I don't frequent other sites. This one suits me fine.

Agree completely.

We have a large percentage of veterans here, yet I have never read--not even once--of ANY of the vets here extolling any missions or operations they were a part of, how many purple stars of legion & merit they were awarded, how many of "the enemy" they killed (barehanded or otherwise), etc. On so many of the other sites, you'd swear every other member there was a retired command master chief from Delta Team Six/PJ Ranger Recon Beret battalion.

I've met some of the fellow vets here and know others by reputation. I suspect Runfiverun and I had awful similar jobs in the Air Force. We've got some folks here that the first beer is on me should we ever meet up anywhere.

And yet, everyone is quiet about that. We have world-class shooters here, shooters who have won more trophies and plaques than Hallmark has cards. Yet, they're very quiet about it. We have members here whose contributions to reloading and shooting and boolit casting put them at the pinnacle of the shooting world. But they're quiet.

It's the occasional new drive-by members that show up, mouth off, look for an easy way out or easy solution then don't like the answer they're given and mouth off some more and try to impress everyone with their gun world experience and panache.

Doesn't fly. When it was just the occasional such instance every once in a great while, not much was said. But it seems like it is increasing in frequency around here, and as with any old(er) person, there is only so much back-up left before the decision is made to stand your ground.

:coffee:

Love Life
12-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Did ya'll hear about Doe Run?

I'm tacticool and I practice urban operations on a daily basis (I live nowhere near an urban area). I use shurikens as my primary weapon, and nunchaku as a back up weapon. I can often be found in my tan 511 pants, long sleeve shirt with elbow pads, kneepads, Blackhawk drop holster, Oakley amber glasses, and an Infidel ball cap. If you ever see me in town, do not approach me to greet me. I stay in condition red at all times. Just know that I saw you long before you saw me.

osteodoc08
12-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Agree completely.

We have a large percentage of veterans here, yet I have never read--not even once--of ANY of the vets here extolling any missions or operations they were a part of, how many purple stars of legion & merit they were awarded, how many of "the enemy" they killed (barehanded or otherwise), etc. On so many of the other sites, you'd swear every other member there was a retired command master chief from Delta Team Six/PJ Ranger Recon Beret battalion.

I've met some of the fellow vets here and know others by reputation. I suspect Runfiverun and I had awful similar jobs in the Air Force. We've got some folks here that the first beer is on me should we ever meet up anywhere.

And yet, everyone is quiet about that. We have world-class shooters here, shooters who have won more trophies and plaques than Hallmark has cards. Yet, they're very quiet about it. We have members here whose contributions to reloading and shooting and boolit casting put them at the pinnacle of the shooting world. But they're quiet.

It's the occasional new drive-by members that show up, mouth off, look for an easy way out or easy solution then don't like the answer they're given and mouth off some more and try to impress everyone with their gun world experience and panache.

Doesn't fly. When it was just the occasional such instance every once in a great while, not much was said. But it seems like it is increasing in frequency around here, and as with any old(er) person, there is only so much back-up left before the decision is made to stand your ground.

I'm tacticool and I practice urban operations on a daily basis (I live nowhere near an urban area). I use shurikens as my primary weapon, and nunchaku as a back up weapon. I can often be found in my tan 511 pants, long sleeve shirt with elbow pads, kneepads, Blackhawk drop holster, Oakley amber glasses, and an Infidel ball cap. If you ever see me in town, do not approach me to greet me. I stay in condition red at all times. Just know that I saw you long before you saw me.

Unfortunately, you'd be in good company on several sites I no longer frequent.

I do find the quality of postings here and overall knowledge base is the best, bar none.

I would also like to thank all the unsung veterans as noted previously.

I find myself spending more time here than anywhere else.

varmint243
12-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I am a new guy on the forum, I do not have quite as many trophies as hallmark cards tho ?
Been doing this for a while...
Am I allowed to have an opinion now ?

http://home.comcast.net/~varmint243/pwpimages/trophies.jpg

lancem
12-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I was thinking of posting something like this myself the other day, seems most threads once they hit page 3 are not worth go to anymore... But since it seems like every time I log on I have like 1000 unread posts skipping those is probably a good thing :)

Love Life
12-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I am a new guy on the forum, I do not have quite as many trophies as hallmark cards tho ?

http://home.comcast.net/~varmint243/pwpimages/trophies.jpg

Just stick around for awhile. The forum is experiencing growing pains right now, and once they are done it'll be back to business as usual.

Recluse
12-04-2013, 11:21 PM

*Shrug*

Don't recall anyone ever saying you weren't allowed to have an opinion now or any other time.

Ted
12-04-2013, 11:39 PM
It's no different than any other forum I belong to. Gotta take the good with the bad and weed out the trolls.

Don't feed the trolls.

Or as my Grandaddy used to say, "Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff".

bedbugbilly
12-05-2013, 12:34 AM
I guess I'm a little confused here . . . maybe it's my age 'cause I'm and old fart . . . but I'm new to reloading. Yes . . . I have reloading manuals . . . yes . . . I've done a lot of searches on here and other threads . . . . no . . . . I don't have a smart phone nor any of that other new technology . . . I'm just a 61 year old guy who has shot BP all of my life from pistols to cannons . . . I guess you'd say I'm "new" to reloading though . . . and like many other "noobies" - which, if I'm not mistaken . . . everyone here was at one time regardless of if you've been reloading 20 or 100 years . . . and from the sounds of some of the "cranky ones" . . the 100 years may be more accurate. So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.

Funny thing though . . .I've purchased quite a few things here from brass to lead to reloading tools from members and sponsors . . . some of them "old timers" . . . and not one of them has turned down my "noobie" cash. Hmmm . . . is there going to be a rule against "noobies" purchasing things from other members and sponsors since so many of us seem to ask "dumb" questions? I'm sure that's probably a "dumb" question . . . just trying to get it clear in my ancient noobie mind.

Regardless of a person's age . . . and I'm sure I can learn a lot from a younger person just as I can from an older person . . . or how long they've have or haven't been reloading . . . it's called "getting along with each other". There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share the things that they know and have learned . . and that's a big help to someone getting started. I have had responses to some of the questions I have asked that have been nothing less that "belittling" . . . so be it . . there are a lot of cranks out there who don't want to climb down from their pedestal. However, after reading a number of manuals . . . some of which are conflicting beyond belief . . . . I, and I'm sure many others as well, are going to have questions. I guess I'd rather ask a "dumb" question and put up with a little "belittling" so that I don't make a mistake that could possibly hurt myself or others around me.

This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".

Love Life
12-05-2013, 12:41 AM
So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.

Nobody would read the sticky. Kind of like now....

Recluse
12-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Frank sure is getting a lot of new company. . .

plmitch
12-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Almost time for a one star rating.

OBIII
12-05-2013, 02:17 AM
The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. That being said, however, if the first post at the top of the page is a sticky with the exact wording that you are looking for, then you are just setting yourself up for some grief. If you were to ask a question, and someone gives you a snitty answer, do not assume that your character or intelligence has been attacked. Use the search function to find possible answers to your questions, most have been posted before. Someone asked a question about a separate forum for auctions from fixed price items. Why? Too lazy to skip a post where it says "Auction"? The question was not dumb, just not well thought out. After the first couple of posters pointed this out, the OP started to feel that he was being belittled and picked on. Others soon chimed in in support of the OP or against the OP. The point is, think, search, don't be too cheap to buy a manual or two (I have been known to pick up a couple from time to time), and don't come looking for instant gratification for load data or accolades that you have come up with the latest and greatest bread slicer. Just enjoy the forum (ribbing is provided free of charge...if we were to have a paid "Professional" Forum, you would then be paying for the ribbing). Read, listen, and learn.

OB

Fluxed
12-05-2013, 04:00 AM
We live in a frustrating time in history, anxiety is everywhere. I talk daily with people who are frustrated, and don't even know why. There is of course, more than one reason for the pain, and it's different to different people. We just need to make it through this.

This is the wisest post I've read on this subject.

It would not hurt a bit to take a breath and be nice, even if you thought the new guy didn't measure up to how you'd do it.
And if a question really bothers you, there's plenty more threads to read here. Just skip on down the page.

303Guy
12-05-2013, 04:52 AM
We should consider ourselves lucky - there is no culture of what may and may not be asked or discussed here. That's in contrast to some other forums. Sometimes what can be discussed is dependant on ones 'social status' on the forum. Not here. And guess what? This forum is far more popular than those 'elitist' forums, not to mention more informative and lively. Not saying those are all bad forums, just that one has to tread carefully. And never mention forming 303 cases from 30-40 Krag! For some undisclosed reason that is taboo. Some noobie might read it and go blow himself up!? It's OK to make the 303 case into 35-303 or any 303 wildcat but not 30-40 to 303. And never discuss metallurgy on some forums. That's also taboo. Go figure.

303Guy
12-05-2013, 04:55 AM
We should consider ourselves lucky - there is no culture of what may and may not be asked or discussed here. That's in contrast to some other forums. Sometimes what can be discussed is dependant on ones 'social status' on the forum. Not here. And guess what? This forum is far more popular than those 'elitist' forums, not to mention more informative and lively. Not saying those are all bad forums, just that one has to tread carefully. And never mention forming 303 cases from 30-40 Krag! For some undisclosed reason that is taboo. Some noobie might read it and go blow himself up!? It's OK to make the 303 case into 35-303 or any 303 wildcat but not 30-40 to 303. And never discuss metallurgy on some forums. That's also taboo. Go figure. Many members simply give up on those forums.

rintinglen
12-05-2013, 05:34 AM
I have had little to no success with the search function here, so I say "come on in and ask" to the new guys. Just because he's new here, doesn't mean he's new. I turned on a friend of mine to this site--he's a korean war vet pushing 85 who has been shooting since he was knee high and won more matches in more disciplines than I ever will. And let's face it, boolit casting is a bit of an esoteric subject. You can have a fair size collection of reloading manuals and have zippity do dah about cast boolits.

What grates my teeth is when some of our long time members jump on some one for not knowing something. Until you can grasp at least the basics of any topic, you don't even know what you don't know. Can't ask a question about a subject when you don't even know it exists. I'll be honest, every time I see someone post a "read the sticky" response WITHOUT posting the link to said sticky, I just say "jerk" to myself. That presupposes knowledge about the web site that can only be gained through use of the web site. Not everyone has equal levels of computer savvy. Not every one has reloaded 800,000 + cast boolit loads in the last 82 years. When a new guy asks for help on the "Same Old S***" either help him, or ignore the post. There's no excuse for rudeness.

merlin101
12-05-2013, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=bedbugbilly;2507624
This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".[/QUOTE]

Plain and simple, you won't find a more friendly group thats willing to help out than the guys on here. Yeah it gets a little tireing reading the same questions day after day, all thats being asked is to do a little RESEARCH first! If you can't find or don't understand the by all means ask. This is good advice to any "noob" and it's comeing from a "noob"

jonp
12-05-2013, 07:29 AM

I have an Infidel ballcap, tshirt and an Infidel flag in front of my house next to an Appeal To Heaven one. I'm a wanna be tacticool dude

PbHurler
12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
This thread T's me off. I'm tired of complaining about complaining and arguing about arguing. [smilie=p:

Sick & tired of being sick & tired? :grin:

Lead Fred
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM

So yer saying your sick & tired, of being sick & tired?

PbHurler
12-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Hey Fred, Great Minds?

btroj
12-05-2013, 07:58 AM
It isn't the noob questions, it is the questions that tell me that a guy hasn't even tried to find an answer on his own. I will help you but I won't do it for you.
I was fortunate, I learned from a guy who had decades of experience. I learned slow and easy. I learned mostly by reading many books and manuals. I learned what each die does what headspace was, and all about the numerous safety checks. This knowledge was valuable at various points as it allowed me later on to problem solve my ammo and determine why something did or didn't work.

Asking questions is good. Make sure the question makes sense and shows some effort on your part. Asking if 4831 will work in your 9mm tells me you haven't got a clue about powder burn rates and I'm not going to answer. Big difference between asking which is better for 9 mm, red dot or unique, or asking what load to use in your new 9 mm. One shows some effort to narrow it down to a couple choices, the other says I want the quick out.

You needn't have years of experience to ask questions here, just a desire to learn. We are very kind to noobs who want to learn and grow as casters and reloaders. We don't tend to do well with people who want to be spoon fed and lack any real desire to learn on their own.

You learn more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you do at the computer desk!

DRNurse1
12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
+1BTROJ, but the more youthful among us learned that 'give me the answer' mentality somewhere and have a hard time shaking it. The fall out from answering them (because you are tired of the question) is they do not learn the process, and cannot fix their mistakes nor recognize their errors.

WILCO
12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
and can I shoot this boolit without a gas check. Or not having any loading manuals and coming here looking for instant load data gratification.

Yeah, that's a big turn off for me. I found the solution though. I simply log out.

cainttype
12-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I understood the OP's point to be about regulars feuding, not noobies. A healthy discussion between different viewpoints with tangible points made to support each opinion creates a scenario where others might garnish a little insight, or further their understanding of the subject matter. Being concise and friendly carries far more weight than long-winded blanket statements, or snippets offered up with sarcasm. Snide remarks have no place in intelligent conversation... "You can't teach a man anything, if he thinks he knows too much already".

44man
12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I don't know about this. Seems as if the old timers have great mutual respect for each other because each did the actual work and try to pass on knowledge.
Seems as if trouble starts at other forums and winds up here for answers that can't be accepted because so and so said this or that.
It is always based on trial and error, work at it, test everything, never, ever quote anyone.
But we have to have compassion for the new guy too. I just can't ignore them because we are responsible to steer them along the right and safe path.
Seems some are against certain questions. True a new guy needs to read and learn but there is confusion. Face it, it can be hard. The new generation can't read and understand and will also not understand what we post. Half of what the old timers say is not read or understood.
Loading can be easy but reloading is a specific thing.
We will see the same questions over and over and over. But those that ask are just in the dark.
Go to the store and give the amount at the register so your change is a bill instead of a pocket of change. they are lost. It is the sad education system we have. We are teachers that outstrip schools.
Loading is like sticking a kid at a table saw and telling him to make a cabinet first time. He can't follow the book that tells him each step. The shop teacher is there for a reason.
Remember the apprentice at a gun maker long ago. Took years before he was allowed to make his own.
We need to help and yes the old timers do get tired of repeating but this site is to steer and help.
Please don't get angry.

waco
12-05-2013, 10:13 PM
We'll said 44Man.

kbstenberg
12-05-2013, 10:30 PM
2+ for 44man. I'm still lost!!!

MT Gianni
12-06-2013, 01:32 AM
So is Unique still a dirty powder or not?

Love Life
12-06-2013, 01:36 AM
So is Unique still a dirty powder or not?

Only if you're using it to shoot boolits designed for a gas check without a gas check.

HNSB
12-06-2013, 01:55 AM
When I ask questions, I try to research first or work to find a solution, but sometimes I am clueless about where to start... I wish I had a local mentor who I could observe and learn from, but I don't.

That's why threads like Waco's about PC'd bullets in his .308 are so great. I get to see how someone else goes through the process and where they run into snags, and what the advice is from other people.

There are also a few good stickies that go through process. The search function is not real helpful there though...

PS Paul
12-06-2013, 02:00 AM
I miss Jim.

Sigh.......

snuffy
12-06-2013, 02:11 AM
I don't get it!? Are we supposed to ignore when someone makes a wrong statement, not point out his mistake? When does that turn into an argument? And just what is wrong with a good old argument?

I offer opinions based on my experience, coming from 50 years of reloading, and casting boolits. I also worked in a gunshop repairing guns for 6 years. If I offer advice distilled from my experience, then it's ignored or contradicted, fine, at least the idea is out there.

Is the world becoming so PC that we can't have differing view points and opinions? Then we should all pack up and go home.

GaryN
12-06-2013, 02:33 AM
I miss Jim.

Sigh.......
Me too!

waco
12-06-2013, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE=snuffy;2509418]I don't get it!? Are we supposed to ignore when someone makes a wrong statement, not point out his mistake? When does that turn into an argument? And just what is wrong with a good old argument?

I offer opinions based on my experience, coming from 50 years of reloading, and casting boolits. I also worked in a gunshop repairing guns for 6 years. If I offer advice distilled from my experience, then it's ignored or contradicted, fine, at least the idea is out there.

Is the world becoming so PC that we can't have differing view points and opinions? Then we should all pack up and go home.[/QUOTE

No. I'm not saying that at all. It was just my observation that there has been a lot of "out of the ordinary" bickering around here lately. At least it has seemed that way to me.

Not that it's a big deal, or a bad thing per say. I was just pointing out what I thought I saw.

It caught me off guard a bit because in the four years I have been here, this is one of the main things that separates this board from all the others.

This place feels like home to me. Lots of close family.

We ARE different from other boards, and I, for one, would like to keep it that way.
Waco

xacex
12-06-2013, 03:57 AM
I've been a member now for about 2-3 years. I am still a newbie at this, but I have learned a ton in that time, and the two or three years I lurked before I joined. There does seem to be an uptick of bickering, along with a large number of new members this year. I have noticed some of the veterans that know more than I will ever learn stepping back a bit, and not answering the same question after it has been asked for the 4th or 5th time in a month. I don't blame them, but I get the frustration now.
Collectively there is thousands of years of knowledge in the art of casting, and shooting here on this forum. There are some that are very knowledgeable in specific scientific focus such as physics, metallurgy,forensics,polymers, smithing, or just fun folks like Love Life. That is why I joined. I like that there is a community that has the knowledge put together to make anyone a great boolit caster, and maybe cast shooter, and the entertainment is nice once and a while.
Sometimes I feel like I am regurgitating information that I learned here, tried, and passed on. But, that is how this site functions. If you have new idea one of the veterans here will perk up their ears and join in. If you are like me you get to answer all of the questions that have been answered before. I am not to the point I get frustrated yet, but I could see me being there in another 10-15 years. The tacta-whatever you call it doesn't bother me. I have black rifles too. I just don't like people putting down other members ideas of this, or that based on opinion vs proven results. I know, it has happened to me, and I reacted. It is hard not to when you try your best, and it is not good enough for someone else. They have to say something negative instead of giving constructive criticism and suggestions on making it better, and the bickering begins. I have taken a back seat to posting results on what I am working on because of it, and I have seen others do the same. Childish sometimes, but I own what I do, and what I post.
There are many facets to this place. In some ways it is like a family. You choose who you listen to, understand there are the drunk uncles, up tight brother in laws,stupid cousins, and grampa's who will know more than you and I will ever know in our life. I just come here to have fun, learn, and share life with a collections of people share a hobby with me. The bickering gets ignored unless it is directed towards me.

snoopy
12-06-2013, 07:43 AM
You learn more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you do at the computer desk![/QUOTE]

Well said and I'll throw out my.02. Being out of the shooting sport for a long time due to various life events and absolutely new to reloading, casting, muzzleloading, etc. I have a lot of questions. I am not a part of the instant gratification generation. A lot of manuals are not directed at someone with absolutely no knowledge at all of the subject. Ideally it would be nice to have an experienced reloading [etc] buddy who's free time corresponded mith mine to glean information from, but I dont. EXCEPT for here. The internet and forums like this are wonderful resources, combining published data with real life experience of people that "have been there done that". I've seen several references to teachers' here, and having much experience in other subjects, I've learned that patience is key. How many times has someone cut the wheels the wrong way trying to learn how to back a 53ft trailer into a parking spot? morethan I can count. Do I berate them or ignore them, NO, encourage them, tell them their mistake and how they can improve those skills by using tricks that I have learned over the years. It can be frustrating, but if you can put youself in the other person's place for just a moment, maybe take a breath, [before you respond] then you can make a difference. Personally, I would rather be asked something for the umpteenth time, than for that person to assume something and end up getting hurt or hurting someone else. Wouldn't You?

captaint
12-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I read a long thread yesterday - something like " I'm looking for an auto pistol in .45ACP. What do you guys think? " Said to myself, this is gonna be great !! I read the whole thing and was laughing some of the way. Yes, there was a little angst and many opinions. But you know what?
If you pay attention, there's a lot to be learned here. I truly enjoyed the whole thing. Some of the old friends here have WAY more experience than me. You people are great !!
Jeez guys, it's just opinions........ Mike

randyrat
12-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Or ignore the question and have another cup of coffee......I don't care how stupid the question is, sometimes they just need to be pointed in the right direction.
You want questions wait till you have Grand kids OH for the the love of GOD.....Why grandpa do you do that,why, why,why Grandma said I can jump on the couch, Are you mad grand pa, why are you mad, are you gonna die, when, where do you go,do you poop in your pants....On and on

btroj
12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Only if you're using it to shoot boolits designed for a gas check without a gas check.

Would adding a toilet bowl ring to my lube make it cleaner?

bosterr
12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Would adding a toilet bowl ring to my lube make it cleaner?

Only if it's the anti-microbial type.

44man
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Only if it's the anti-microbial type.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Now we are getting somewhere!

btroj
12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Come on 44man, you aren't fooling me.

You wouldn't use a toilet bowl ring unless it was made from Felix lube! I am sure you have targets that show better bowl accuracy with your "weapon" and can regale us with stories of the residue left by Alox........

bhn22
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
We live in a society of instant gratification. We have drive through "restaurants" everywhere, instant coffee, "buy it now", credit cards (instant money), limited access highways, overnight shipping, and the rest. You get the idea. This is something you can't learn instantly, it's not like making a sammich. There is research involved, and you really, really need to understand the material. This is why some of the responses here are so wordy. This is also why many of my replys never make it to the forum. I delete them unsent. We don't like to simply give out a number. At times, its especially important for you to know why the answer is what it is. The next time you try this, circumstances might not be the same, and you must be aware of the differences, the potential pitfalls, and even potential dangers. We're glad to help, but you also need to help yourself too. Meet us halfway, huh?

44man
12-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I have to agree. The best sit and think a lot, research and think more. You need imagination to picture what happens in a gun and to just slam loads together the same way will get you in a rut.
When I got my 45-70 BFR revolver, it took a month before I shot the first round. I learned the gun first. As I got other calibers there was NOTHING for loads.
Look in your piles of manuals and find 45-70 revolver, .475 Linebaugh or .500 JRH loads. Some you can find on sites now.
The 45-70 revolver was a task, sure a million loads out there but THEY DON'T WORK IN A 10" BARREL! I had to make my own molds but it will do down to 1/2" at 100 yards and I have one group of 2-1/2" at 500 yards.
Every gun took 1000 times more thought and research then a book will ever give you.
Many new guys are in the same position, nothing to help them but they work all day, come home and eat, spend some time at the bench and go watch TV, then bed.
Now I can give answers to sticky problems with certain guns but not all. Don't ask about a nine or so. I can tell you everything about the .44 mag because I have been fooling with them since 1956 and many of you were not born yet. I have posted every single thing over and over. Then I keep reading posts to questions that are wrong.
Then all the different boolits made can not use the book loads or site loads.
Then the nut cases that made the 405 gr .44 boolit and the 700 gr .500 boolit! Rifling twist is pixie dust! Guys ask for loads but my answer is to toss the stupid boolits.
Going to other sites and reading about the 700 gr .500 boolit has a lot of followers because they think the guy is smart but my answer is he is stupid. They fade into the dust the same as the kings of the hill that think they know it all because they read it in a rag.
ME, I do the work and also trust my friends here if I need help.
Making ammo is a lifetime job and every second of thought.
My favorite saying made famous here is "There are no stupid questions" so can we continue along that course?

jonp
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I read a long thread yesterday - something like " I'm looking for an auto pistol in .45ACP. What do you guys think? " Said to myself, this is gonna be great !! I read the whole thing and was laughing some of the way. Yes, there was a little angst and many opinions. But you know what?
If you pay attention, there's a lot to be learned here. I truly enjoyed the whole thing. Some of the old friends here have WAY more experience than me. You people are great !!
Jeez guys, it's just opinions........ Mike
I think a better question would have been "I am looking to buy my first 45ACP. I am going to use it for self defense in the home and not a carry gun plus target practice. Should I go with a standard 1911 full size or a compact or should I get a sa/da 45acp full or compact in steel or plastic? For my first gun how much should I spend for a reliable one of good quality without going overboard as I will probably upgrade if I find I use it a great deal. A price range with this in mind would be nice?"
More specific than the original question. Define what you are looking for and ask that question as specifically as possible then expand out a little

gray wolf
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
A lot has been bread out of society today, Some people still see the need for a little research and can understand the benefits derived from book knowledge. Some/many, do not and they never will, well never is perhaps the wrong word to use. If the need and desire is strong enough then perhaps some folks might resort to book reading.
I have seen with my own eyes the pain (literally ) on peoples faces when you ask them to listen to something that is being said for there own benefit. They just don't want to hear it.
What is it ? They can't absorb the information ?
they don't want to acknowledge that you know more than they do ?
They just don't care ?
They think your information is just a waste of there time.
Or maybe they just want to get from here to there in one Giant step.
I am getting to the point that I don't have time anymore to educate someone that looks at me with a blank stare on there face -- or is constantly looking at there watch as to say ""are you done yet ""
It doesn't take a genius to see when someone is opposed to receiving information that is directed to them FOR there benefit. -- especially when they get defensive about there actions.
Some of the excuses I hear are pathetic, Someone with an IQ of 12 could see through them.
Maybe it's are own underlying desire to pass on information, perhaps it makes us feel important to think we know more than other folks.
BUT, BUT, BUT, on the other hand if someone shows just a little attempt at listening in order to obtain a better understanding of what's going on, then I do not ever feel the time is wasted.
Like I always say "" when the student is ready the teacher will appear ""
It's not hard to tell when someone wants to learn, and our forum is overrun with good teachers, people who go out of there way to explain things. Not only for edification and to better the bread so to speak, but for safety.
We recently were told by someone that in there opinion a load book was not needed and the money would be better spent on something else. The person was accused of not wanting to learn. But yet a picture of a big book shelf were posted along with a nightstand piled high with books. Clearly a person like that must read,
The desire to learn should be apparent to others, It was to me.
What I got out of it was,-- I read and learn about what I consider to be important to me, I learn about what interest me, I seek knowledge about things that are required of me, ( you put in the reason )
As for other things I get what I need to get by from asking other people, If the answer serves my purpose I can live with it. Correct or incorrect I do not need to refine it or prove it right or wrong.
Discussions that involve trying to make a point with some people are a fruitless waste of time.
Needless to say I get involved in such talk all the time, Who knows maybe the information will fall on ears that are ready to hear it, I do believe there is truth in that.
We can't save the world, but perhaps we can keep a small part of it from spinning of into space.
MINI rant off

Sam

Tucker
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I guess I'm a little confused here . . . maybe it's my age 'cause I'm and old fart . . . but I'm new to reloading. Yes . . . I have reloading manuals . . . yes . . . I've done a lot of searches on here and other threads . . . . no . . . . I don't have a smart phone nor any of that other new technology . . . I'm just a 61 year old guy who has shot BP all of my life from pistols to cannons . . . I guess you'd say I'm "new" to reloading though . . . and like many other "noobies" - which, if I'm not mistaken . . . everyone here was at one time regardless of if you've been reloading 20 or 100 years . . . and from the sounds of some of the "cranky ones" . . the 100 years may be more accurate. So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.

Funny thing though . . .I've purchased quite a few things here from brass to lead to reloading tools from members and sponsors . . . some of them "old timers" . . . and not one of them has turned down my "noobie" cash. Hmmm . . . is there going to be a rule against "noobies" purchasing things from other members and sponsors since so many of us seem to ask "dumb" questions? I'm sure that's probably a "dumb" question . . . just trying to get it clear in my ancient noobie mind.

Regardless of a person's age . . . and I'm sure I can learn a lot from a younger person just as I can from an older person . . . or how long they've have or haven't been reloading . . . it's called "getting along with each other". There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share the things that they know and have learned . . and that's a big help to someone getting started. I have had responses to some of the questions I have asked that have been nothing less that "belittling" . . . so be it . . there are a lot of cranks out there who don't want to climb down from their pedestal. However, after reading a number of manuals . . . some of which are conflicting beyond belief . . . . I, and I'm sure many others as well, are going to have questions. I guess I'd rather ask a "dumb" question and put up with a little "belittling" so that I don't make a mistake that could possibly hurt myself or others around me.

This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".

Thank You!

45sixgun
12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
We recently were told by someone that in there opinion a load book was not needed and the money would be better spent on something else. The person was accused of not wanting to learn. But yet a picture of a big book shelf were posted along with a nightstand piled high with books. Clearly a person like that must read,
The desire to learn should be apparent to others, It was to me.
What I got out of it was,-- I read and learn about what I consider to be important to me, I learn about what interest me, I seek knowledge about things that are required of me, ( you put in the reason )
As for other things I get what I need to get by from asking other people, If the answer serves my purpose I can live with it. Correct or incorrect I do not need to refine it or prove it right or wrong.

Thanks for that, Sam. I feel like another person didn't join the dogpile on me. In all seriousness (and not to bring that other thread over to this one), I don't feel the need to get a load book. I've sat with a sales specialist in a gun shop and looked with him through a couple of manuals. I've browsed through them on my own at the stores. And I've read a TON of stuff on the internet. Between that and emailing people and talking to people, I felt I didn't need a manual. And still feel that way. I hope I don't invite another dogpile of vitriol for saying this again. I've been happy and successful doing it my way. Is it just "getting by"? Maybe. Does it warrant a bunch of nasty name calling and false assumptions about my intelligence and character? No! If I treated my students the way I was treated, they would hate me. And I wouldn't be a teacher for long. I was educated the old school way, at a boarding school, all the way through twelfth grade. I know what it is to study and research. I also know what we're up against with the younger generations. I think things would go smoother here if we didn't jump to conclusions so quickly, were a little more open minded, and patient and compassionate. We're dealing with a huge jump/gap in values and abilities. Why can't we have as our vision the mindset of a patient understanding teacher? Do we want these new guys to join our ranks? It's certainly in our best interest and in the best interest of the gun culture of America. Let's look at the bigger picture.

Love Life
12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money (or so we think), shooting more, being self sufficient, and having fun.

There is feuding going on, but that is natural in a group so large. Things will die down as everything settles back in. Growing pains...

PS Paul
12-06-2013, 05:02 PM
If a guy can do it safely, with judgment and prudence and no harm to himself or others, by God, I can support him "doing it his way", you know? Especially if there are lots of men willing to share sound advice on forums as wonderful as this.

Just my .02 and I STILL miss Jim intensely.

Tucker
12-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money (or so we think), shooting more, being self sufficient, and having fun.

There is feuding going on, but that is natural in a group so large. Things will die down as everything settles back in. Growing pains...

Love Life you are absolutely right it is all about having fun and shooting more. You said it best if more people would think like that we my not have all the feuding :drinks:

Smoke4320
12-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't know about this. Seems as if the old timers have great mutual respect for each other because each did the actual work and try to pass on knowledge.
Seems as if trouble starts at other forums and winds up here for answers that can't be accepted because so and so said this or that.
It is always based on trial and error, work at it, test everything, never, ever quote anyone.
But we have to have compassion for the new guy too. I just can't ignore them because we are responsible to steer them along the right and safe path.
Seems some are against certain questions. True a new guy needs to read and learn but there is confusion. Face it, it can be hard. The new generation can't read and understand and will also not understand what we post. Half of what the old timers say is not read or understood.
Loading can be easy but reloading is a specific thing.
We will see the same questions over and over and over. But those that ask are just in the dark.
Go to the store and give the amount at the register so your change is a bill instead of a pocket of change. they are lost. It is the sad education system we have. We are teachers that outstrip schools.
Loading is like sticking a kid at a table saw and telling him to make a cabinet first time. He can't follow the book that tells him each step. The shop teacher is there for a reason.
Remember the apprentice at a gun maker long ago. Took years before he was allowed to make his own.
We need to help and yes the old timers do get tired of repeating but this site is to steer and help.
Please don't get angry.

+100

I came here as a complete noob .. asked questions that I am sure were asked a million times (did try using the search and got no where) have and am still learning much and GREATLY appreciate all the help.
Monday I shot my first buck with a home cast bullet and it lit up my world..
all I can say it treat the noobs gentle and remember we all have to start somewhere in the learning process..
this site continues to grow BECAUSE you answer questions and guide people

blackthorn
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
45sixgun---Maybe if you had stated in the OP, how you arrived at a conclusion that you do not need a manual this thread would have taken a bit of a different direction (maybe). The danger (as I see it) is that the OP (to me) left an impression that one could/can just log on, ask all and sundry a question or two, go forth and load them up! So the danger here is that someone (rank newbie) goes on line, asks a question and gets an answer from someone who has about the same level of knowledge, loads them up based on the answer he/she got and promptly blows his/her hand, head (you pick) off! To me the OP was akin to turning one of your classes over to a brand new student who can't speak english and expecting the rest of the students to get the gist of the day's lesson. I for one did/do not see the posts following th OP to be "piling" on you, rather I see them as raising ligitimate concerns based on the fact patern available at the time. Have a nice day!

btroj
12-07-2013, 01:52 PM

You save money doing this? I just shoot more for the same money. It does keep me out of the bars at night......

mdi
12-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Here is the danger. Good talented people can get driven off or stop posting because of all the BS. I have seen it happen on other forums.

I wonder if a "Premium Membership" forum would work. It would have fewer sub forums - maybe none. Cost would be high enough to keep the trolls out - say $100/year. This weeds out guys who will not spend $25 for a manual. Premium members would still be able to post on the current forums but have a place where like minded people could interact.

It will also give the forum additional revenue.

I feel that I receive great value from this site only because of the few handfuls of talented people who reside here.

Don Verna

There's a forum that deals with a specific gun, made in 1911, but I won't mention it's name. They have a "site supporter forum". A private forum for site supporters only. I got an "invitation" to join a year or so ago, and IIRC, for $25.00 per month I could enjoy the privileges of the being a "supporting member". I rarely go there any more, I ain't part of the "elite". I think the same would happen if the Castboolits.com forum went "pay for privileges"; losing members, me included. I guess I'm the kinda guy that will try to get into "Members Only" places just because I ain't a member...:mrgreen:

BTW; I haven't noticed any more "heated discussions" than normal for a site that deals with a hobby that takes a bit of time to learn.

cbrick
12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
We recently were told by someone that in there opinion a load book was not needed and the money would be better spent on something else. The person was accused of not wanting to learn. But yet a picture of a big book shelf were posted along with a nightstand piled high with books. Clearly a person like that must read, Sam

I remember the thread well. Are you sure that black & white picture of all the books is his or just a pic grabbed off the internet. If I showed you a picture of the Library of Congress would that make it my library and mean that I've read all that?

Rick

cbrick
12-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money

Really? No doubt for some that's true enough and actually the only thing but I can say in all honesty that I have never cast a single boolit to save money. I cast to get what I want the way I want it and to make it work the way I want and I can tell myself . . . Self, you made it with your own two hands. Anybody can buy a bullet. :mrgreen:

Rick

303Guy
12-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I for one did/do not see the posts following th OP to be "piling" on you, rather I see them as raising ligitimate concerns ...I see it like that too. The 'complaints' were not directed at the OP but the subject the OP raised.

I'm in cbrick's camp. I like to make my own. For me it would be cheaper to simply buy loaded ammo, but where's the fun in that. (Meaning I'm not loading and shooting enough!) But that's where this forum comes in - it keeps me ticking over in the meantime.

P.S. It's 'legitimate'. :mrgreen: I use Google Chrome for it's spell checker. Too bad it doen't catch typo's. [smilie=1:

Love Life
12-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Really? No doubt for some that's true enough and actually the only thing but I can say in all honesty that I have never cast a single boolit to save money. I cast to get what I want the way I want it and to make it work the way I want and I can tell myself . . . Self, you made it with your own two hands. Anybody can buy a bullet. :mrgreen:

Rick

Why did you cut off my quote right where it explained what you explained?

Original statement: "Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money (or so we think), shooting more, being self sufficient, and having fun."

waco
12-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Why are you guys beating the dog sh%* out of my thread?

PS. Can I use Unique in the .45ACP?, and do I need a Gas check? If so what brand is best?

waco
12-08-2013, 03:45 AM
You save money doing this? I just shoot more for the same money. It does keep me out of the bars at night......

Night??? ha! I'm there by 11:00 AM

HNSB
12-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Asking if 4831 will work in your 9mm tells me you haven't got a clue about powder burn rates and I'm not going to answer.

Some guys might just be new enough to not even understand burn rate as a factor. I don't recall seeing any discussion of burn rate in the manuals I read (and I did read them). It was only fairly recently that burn rate even entered my mind as a reloader. The only reason I never asked a similar question is because I only use a powder if there is data for it in one of my manuals - and I like even better for it to be in at least two of them so I can compare.
But... by loading that way I remained ignorant of burn rate. It wasn't something that ever crossed my radar.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the newbie questions aren't a result of being lazy or not wanting to learn, they can be a result of being too ignorant to know the right question to ask.

As I was typing this post, something else occurred to me... There has been much talk in this thread about reading the manual to learn basic concepts.
Which manuals are best in that regard?
It's pretty clear that what I have doesn't include some of the basic information.

btroj
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Burn rate is important. The question should then be "Why can I use 4831 in my 270 but not in my 40 SW when the handgun runs at a lower pressure"? That shows me where you lack understanding and where the knowledge needs to be applied. "Can I use 4831 in my 40 S&W" just tells me you don't have a clue.

I prefer clear, concise questions. I hate "school me on powders" or "what is the best.....". Those just come across as lazy. Take the time to think about what it is you don't understand and verbalize a question that sums up the lack of knowledge in such a way that we can help.

As for good manuals, the old ABC's of Reloading come to mind. No specifics but lots of general information. It gives a good glossing over of many of the topics needed, a general understanding of most issues will come from reading it, studying it, and going back to it.

btroj
12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zpsf088ba23.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zpsf088ba23.jpg.html)

Here you go. Only 20 bucks plus shipping. Makes a great Christmas present.

btroj
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM

PS. Can I use Unique in the .45ACP?, and do I need a Gas check? If so what brand is best?

Why? Because in family feuds we beat the carp out of everything. You never had siblings, did you?

cbrick
12-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Why did you cut off my quote right where it explained what you explained?

Original statement: "Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money (or so we think), shooting more, being self sufficient, and having fun."

Simply to make the point that some do cast exclusively to save money and nothing else matters but that is not me, I cast so that I can make it with my own two hands and learn enough to make it work.

Rick

45sixgun
12-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Why? Because in family feuds we beat the carp out of everything. You never had siblings, did you?

Now that's language I understand. Can we arrange a central meeting spot (with mats and a ring) and just get this cabin fever thing taken care of properly.....

btroj
12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
No ring or mats for me. I prefer a verbal pummeling over a physical one, I ain't that big a guy.

This is just typical banter here. We have some strong opinions and aren't afraid to voice them. A lot.

I see no problems as long as it doesn't get personal.

44man
12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Not a single one of us can relate to the young today and God help us. My daughter is a school custodian, you need to hear the horror stories about the kids today. Families today just dump everything on teachers, teachers that unions protect even if they can't read or understand themselves what they are supposed to teach. Liberals have destroyed the education system. I grew up when teachers had big paddles with holes in them and you never, ever opened your mouth in class or walked around the whole school when you were in a class. I have been there helping my daughter when some work needed done that nobody hired to do it, would do it. Maintenance refused so I took out windows and framed them free. I seen the kids---we are lost my friends and they will VOTE.
All the workers and teachers hired do nothing with tax payers footing the bills. The school has a roof leaks so buckets are in the halls.
Kids graduate that can't read or make change, then some go to liberal college's where only money counts.
This has been going on so long now that many can not understand what they read, simple is like lawyer talk or reading the Obuma care law. The gov't can't understand what they passed.
Just read the test results from all over the world and this country sucks when we spend billions more on education---throw money at it to fix it.
It is creeping in here and it gets very tiresome to repeat, repeat and repeat to the point many of us just skip posts. So I understand and yet this hobby has dangers involved.

Pat I.
12-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Instead of griping about this subject every week or so have any of you guys with 5, 10, 15, or 20 thousand posts ever thought about turning the computer off and doing something else for a while? A little trigger time, a good book, or a good steak at your favorite restaurant might help settle the nerves.

btroj
12-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I went shopping with the wife yesterday. We sat and watch some good football games last night. I use an iPad so I can multitask.

Trigger time? Let's see, it is 15 degrees, snowing, and a bit breezy right now. Shooting is out of the question.

If the implication is that we don't have a life then I disagree. This is my hobby, what I do for fun. I don't drink, smoke, womanize, or gamble. This is what I do. I have plenty of bullets cast right now but I may go make more today anyway.

btroj
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Not a single one of us can relate to the young today and God help us. My daughter is a school custodian, you need to hear the horror stories about the kids today. Families today just dump everything on teachers, teachers that unions protect even if they can't read or understand themselves what they are supposed to teach. Liberals have destroyed the education system. I grew up when teachers had big paddles with holes in them and you never, ever opened your mouth in class or walked around the whole school when you were in a class. I have been there helping my daughter when some work needed done that nobody hired to do it, would do it. Maintenance refused so I took out windows and framed them free. I seen the kids---we are lost my friends and they will VOTE.
All the workers and teachers hired do nothing with tax payers footing the bills. The school has a roof leaks so buckets are in the halls.
Kids graduate that can't read or make change, then some go to liberal college's where only money counts.
This has been going on so long now that many can not understand what they read, simple is like lawyer talk or reading the Obuma care law. The gov't can't understand what they passed.
Just read the test results from all over the world and this country sucks when we spend billions more on education---throw money at it to fix it.
It is creeping in here and it gets very tiresome to repeat, repeat and repeat to the point many of us just skip posts. So I understand and yet this hobby has dangers involved.

Those kids didn't destroy their own lives, they had parents that helped.

We blame schools for poor performance but we don't put enough blame on parents. A teacher shouldn't be expected to able sure a kid does the homework. A teacher isn't the one who should demand better grades. A teacher isn't the one who took the kid out of class for a week vacation.

The disintegration of the family and some level of values is what is causing the trouble.

It also isn't all kids. I guarantee many on this site have kids who are doing fine. Mine certainly is.

While I disagree with the kids liberal views the speech by a kid at her graduation spoke volumes. He got a great scholarship to MIT and will do well. His comments were that he wasn't smarter than the rest, he just wanted it more. While they were playing sports, playing video games, or out with friends he was home studying. He wanted it bad enough to work his tail off for it. I couldn't agree more.

goodolejim
12-08-2013, 10:41 AM
All in all this forum is one of the more polite and courteous ones I have watched. I am just smart enough to know how little I know about cast boolits and reloading in general. The amount of good information is outstanding. I will start casting and reloading this winter.

Semper Fi

cbrick
12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Instead of griping about this subject every week or so have any of you guys with 5, 10, 15, or 20 thousand posts ever thought about turning the computer off and doing something else for a while? A little trigger time, a good book, or a good steak at your favorite restaurant might help settle the nerves.

That went right over my head. Nerves? This place is a pass time, entertainment, relaxation for me. It is one of the things that I spend the least time doing most days. Nerves?

Rick

btroj
12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Rick, i didn't think you silhouette shooters had nerves......

varmint243
12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank You!

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zpsf088ba23.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zpsf088ba23.jpg.html)

Here you go. Only 20 bucks plus shipping. Makes a great Christmas present.

Personally
I think you should save yourself some money get the eBook version instead
It's much more convienent to have it on your computer, phone, and tablet.
That way you can have the information at your fingertips all the time with a search function available.
Heck, I bet you can even find a .pdf version for free if you look hard enough.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/04/get-abcs-of-reloading-ebook-for-just-1-99-at-amazon-com/

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't like E-books for stuff like this. I don't keep my electronics on my loading bench and try to keep them away from the grit, grime, grease, and grunge that inhabits the bench. A paper copy is also far easier to make notes on and loan to others.

E-books have a place but I still prefer old school for reloading guides and manuals.

On the other hand, if a guy won't spend 1.99 to get more knowledge and understanding then he really needs to address his priorities.

Tucker
12-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Waco you started all this what do you have to say for your self (you are a bad boy!!) lol I think its great you see the true side of people when things like this go on. But it don't matter to me I really like reading this stuff its great just like all the people here you guys are super people to listen to. I been here awhile I just don't ask many questions pretty much if you read as much as me your question will get answered before you have to ask. And far as the family feud I don't see one just a bunch of people with different opinions, every body has them.

theperfessor
12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
99.9% of the folks here are great people. If a poster asks something that has been answered numerous times I just go on to another topic and let some of the newer folks answer it. I would only jump in if I thought their advice was dangerous.

And my mental state improved considerably when I decided to stay out of the Pit.

But you should hear what I say to my students in class who show up without their REQUIRED textbooks. Their life is unpleasant every day they don't come prepared to learn. This should indicate what I think about not owning any loading manuals, guides, etc. and why I rarely provide help to those who don't or won't get the basics needed to safely start casting and loading.

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Exactly Keith. Learning is an active process. If you aren't prepared to learn why should I try to teach?

mold maker
12-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I can't understand, six pages of complaints, about complaining. Why did I read all of this????

btroj
12-08-2013, 12:04 PM
To learn how to complain, duh. You are doing well too, nice complaint about complaining.

It isn't complaining, we are merely venting. Think of it this way- we are like a bunch of old guys sitting in the diner having a cup of coffee. We are solving the worlds problems.

Some see it as complaining, I don't. We are merely stating opinion.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I heard they were giving away free stuff. That's why I'm here...

Beagle333
12-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I didn't read it all, but LL's post (above) shocked me...... you mean there's no free stuff?:shock:

Love Life
12-08-2013, 03:08 PM
No free stuff, no punch and pie, and no free (unproven) load data. This is the worst thread ever.

btroj
12-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I use 40 gr of Yellow Dot in my 9 mm. Gives me 1900 fps with a 147 ge bullet in my CZ75. No leading as long as I use water dropped monotype with 2 percent tin added. It is tough to cast with as the bullets tend to solder to my brass mould but I avoid that by squiring Kroil into each cavity before each pour then igniting it.

Other than that you are on your own.....

Love Life
12-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Sweet!!! I'm assuming I can use the 147 gr data with a 200 gr boolit?

waco
12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
I just spit beer on my computer....Thanks

btroj
12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
A 200 gr bullet works but ONLY if you use a GC design with no check. I get better accuracy from traditional lube groove designs covered with tumble lube, a layer of powder coat, topped off with hi-Tek coating. I bake at 400, stir occasionally and remove when the meat falls from the bones.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks!! The only issue I'm having now is that my boolits are wrinkled when they fall from the mould. I've searched and searched why, red the cast boolit manual at least 4,457,000 times, and I just can't seem to figure it out. Is it because my mould is too hot?

btroj
12-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Wrinkly bullets are a sign of old lead. 18 year old lead tends to give smoothly, perky bullets. Your lead is probably 60 years old and will only make wrinkly, saggy bullets. Send it to a mod, they like em that way......

Pat I.
12-08-2013, 04:09 PM
If the implication is that we don't have a life then I disagree. This is my hobby, what I do for fun. I don't drink, smoke, womanize, or gamble. This is what I do. I have plenty of bullets cast right now but I may go make more today anyway.

I wasn't implying anything just making a suggestion but I did notice you've made 125 posts in less than the last 48 hours. People have to be careful a hobby doesn't become an obsession and take over their lives

I like a drink now and then, chew tobacco like it's going out of style, love the womans I surely do, and wouldn't push myself away from a slot machine if there was one in the room. Also just got in from shooting my ML in 24* temps with snow blowing in my face. Maybe that's why little things like people asking questions doesn't bother me.

mdi
12-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Awww Baloney! None of youz guyz knows what yer talking about. I heard more intelligent discussions at my Grannies' rest home with the residents arguing about the consistency of the vanilla pudding they had for lunch. All Yall are full of beans...:bigsmyl2:

MT Gianni
12-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I can't understand, six pages of complaints, about complaining. Why did I read all of this????

If you go the the headliner of the forum, click on forum actions and on the drop down menu go to general settings you can select 40 posts per page which will give you only 3 pages of whining.

btroj
12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Well played Gianni, well played.

waco
12-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Brad, I think you just have way too much time on your hands. Find a hobby man...

varmint243
12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
and while we are on the subject
can someone please explain to me
mold vs. mould ?
I did not see a sticky for this, nor did I read about it in any of my casting or reloading books (made with paper)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold
>>>Molds are a large and taxonomically diverse number of fungal species where the growth of hyphae results in discoloration and a fuzzy appearance, especially on food<<<

vs.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sweetpea
12-08-2013, 10:50 PM
and while we are on the subject
can someone please explain to me
mold vs. mould ?
I did not see a sticky for this, nor did I read about it in any of my casting or reloading books (made with paper)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold
>>>Molds are a large and taxonomically diverse number of fungal species where the growth of hyphae results in discoloration and a fuzzy appearance, especially on food<<<

vs.

:groner:

If'n your'e going to beat a dead horse, please provide your own...

[smilie=l:

prs
12-08-2013, 11:16 PM
And it ain't even Winter for another couple of weeks.

prs

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Brad, I think you just have way too much time on your hands. Find a hobby man...

This IS my hobby. FYI, I watched football today, helped the wife make an unbelievable number of cookies, shoveled the drive, and spoke to my kid via FaceTime.

Someone needs to help keep you guys on your toes

btroj
And it ain't even Winter for another couple of weeks.

prs

And we are just warming up!

Love Life
Can I get some cookies? You pay shipping of course...

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Nope. Many will go to work, some will be frozen, and a large number are being sampled........

Frozen ones will go to school in Jan with the kid. She uses them to pay upperclassmen for tutoring.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Shucks. I can't any free stuff anywhere. I'm off to occupy Wall Street.

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Dude, you will get nowhere. You need to skip showers for a week, grow hair longer, maybe do dredds, and quit work. Once you do that and become a complete loser you can occupy wall street.

Want cookies? I can send a recipe.

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:35 PM
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps5a36289b.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps5a36289b.jpg.html)

The empty spot in the lower left corner is where the ones already bagged up were.

Must be 400 cookies there in total.

Oh, notice the Lyman Cast Bullet manual in the upper left corner? That's where that went......

Love Life
12-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Yoda sugar cookies? Like them, I do.

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Can you tell my wife is a Star Wars fan? She has 10 or so cookie cutters like that. The X wing doesn't get used anymore, it tends to look a bit phallic......

Love Life
12-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Those cookies match your rainbow colored 2X4!!

btroj
12-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Exactly! The sugar cookies she takes to work I don't care for them. The ginger snaps and oatmeal scotchies are for me. Oatmeal makes them healthy, doesn't it?

She was disappointed that she couldn't get a good blue to make R2D2. Must be the art degree talking....

Love Life
12-08-2013, 11:59 PM
I believe I shall ask the boss to make me some cookies.

waco
12-09-2013, 12:00 AM
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps5a36289b.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps5a36289b.jpg.html)

The empty spot in the lower left corner is where the ones already bagged up were.

Must be 400 cookies there in total.

Oh, notice the Lyman Cast Bullet manual in the upper left corner? That's where that went......

Yum! Now that looks good!

btroj
12-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I believe I shall ask the boss to make me some cookies.

I find it works better if I say "WE should make some cookies...."

mdi
12-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Didja make those cookie with a mold or a mould?

cbrick
12-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Yes, you can get some cookies. Simply buy the manual. :mrgreen:

Rick

12-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm a new baker and would rather spend money on things other than a cookbook, what's the best oatmeal recipe?

12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh, and what are the best cookie cutters?

dondiego
12-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't think that your cookie mold was hot enough, lots of wrinkles! Don't think anyone will mind either.

Love Life
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, you need to clean the cookie cutters or use more heat.

varmint243
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Natchez - free standard shipping with some exclusions
I assume most got this today the same as me.
If not, here it is

90056Natchezss - free standard shipping with some exclusions

snuffy
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Didja make those cookie with a mold or a mould?

Those cookies wouldn't last long enough around here to get mouldy.

45sixgun
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, you can get some cookies. Simply buy the manual.

Nooo! Throw away the manual (Luke), the best never come from a recipe....Let the force guide you....

varmint243
12-09-2013, 03:44 PM
You guys can't fool me.
Since when were cookies anything other than a little text file put into a folder when you browse to a website that tracks your activity and stores your user logon.
What is this silliness that they are something you can cook in an oven and eat.

varmint243
12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
So, I've decided to stay on topic with the cookie discussion
I thought there might be a cookie cooking forum, and if there were...
Were they having similar issues to ones going on here on this forum.
It cracked me up when I got there and found them using the same PHP BB backend and graphics
A quick scan thru the posts and I quickly recognized a topic that get continuously rehashed in the reloading discussions (especially benchrest)
Weighing vs. measuring - You can't make this stuff up

http://www.cookiedecorator.com/showthread.php?7938-Weighing-vs-measuring

popper
12-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Cabin Fever has set in at Cast Boolits. Get out the vaccine. Only real solution is to burn some powder & toss lead down range. Btroj - I'd one-up you but it's all gone. I ate them all. I'm a happy camper - er, boolateer. Full too. Got my DL renewed last week, went from 194 to 200. Darn, got to put the puppy on a diet next week, she's getting plump.

blackthorn
12-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Looks like it's going to be a Looooooong winter!!!

runfiverun
12-09-2013, 09:12 PM
You guys can't fool me.
Since when were cookies anything other than a little text file put into a folder when you browse to a website that tracks your activity and stores your user logon.
What is this silliness that they are something you can cook in an oven and eat.

what does this say??
cookies are for eating, and not hard crunchy ones either.

btroj
12-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Run, none of these cookies were hard or crunchy. I like softer, chewer cookies. Stop by, I'll give you a few and a beer to wash em down.

HNSB
12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
What's the secret to soft cookies? Mine always end up crunchy after they cool off.

My solution has been to eat them all before they cool, but I imagine there's a better way...

btroj
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
If it says 8 to 10 minutes we start checking at 7. Over cooking makes for dry cookies. Like meat they keep cooking after being removed from the oven.

It also pays to pick recipes for cookies that tend towards being soft and chewy. Oatmeal and chocolate chip are good examples.

Man, I sound like a chick!

12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Man, I sound like a chick!

I baked an apple pie, once. Got the recipe from a Betty Crocker manual, not the Internet, so I felt safe, knowing that there wouldn't be a kaboom in the oven. I used one less apple than the maximum listed, but will go with the maximum number if I ever bake another.

By the way, the manual said to apply a pinch crimp around the edges of the dough, and it worked perfectly.

waco
12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
What's the secret to soft cookies? Mine always end up crunchy after they cool off.

My solution has been to eat them all before they cool, but I imagine there's a better way...

The secret is double the amount of butter the recipe calls for ........Now I sound like a chick ...

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook on the table next to the tape measure?

Gear

btroj
I use the butter for the chick but that is an entirely different discussion.......

Love Life
Not much to add on the baking. I'm just here to add some manliness back to the thread...

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Wow, three posts at the same time. I can't keep up!

Gear

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook on the table next to the tape measure?

Gear

I even commented on it Gear! That manual has some darn dirty pages from being thumbed thru. I like that one over the new one, better powder selections in some cartridges. Far better technical discussions too.

Not sure why it is in the kitchen though.

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Not much to add on the baking. I'm just here to add some manliness back to the thread...

Wow. Just wow.

Love Life
12-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow. Just wow.

That's what she said!!

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:44 PM
She? Is that your sister?

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 10:44 PM
So you did, I overlooked it. Shows how my brain's wired, though! Cookies......... yawn......OOOOOH! Boolit book! Shiny!

Gear

Love Life
12-09-2013, 10:45 PM
You better be careful, btroj. I'd hate for you to get a nasty PM.

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Cookies...yawn?

No, cookies....nom nom nom

Now the book, it is good reading. A diet coke and some cookies go well with that.

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:47 PM
You better be careful, btroj. I'd hate for you to get a nasty PM.

Oops, I didn't know she was on the forum?[smilie=b:

At least I didn't comment on southerners?

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Warm, chewy oatmeal raisin cookies and really cold Dr. Pepper. Or a good, old-fashioned glass of not-too-cold Promise Land whole milk and some still-chewy, day-old brownies. Or pumpkin bread and either of the above, or with a warm cup of really strong coffee.

Gear

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Oops, I didn't know she was on the forum?[smilie=b:

At least I didn't comment on southerners?

DOH! That's exactly the same thought I had. But I managed to ignore it....

Gear

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Raisins? Yuck. Always looks like there are bugs in the cookies. Oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips!

Hey Waco, is it ok for us to feud over cookies?

btroj
12-09-2013, 10:55 PM
DOH! That's exactly the same thought I had. But I managed to ignore it....

Gear

I have a very poor ability to ignore things like that. My mind always goes for those comments and sadly my mouth is faster than my mind......

Ever said something then thought "dang, that sounded like my voice"

geargnasher
12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
It was sort of like watching a train wreck about to happen: Inevitable progression of events. Speaking of train wrecks, it appears that our Serial Rater is back again and doomed this thread to three stars.

Gear

btroj
12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Back to 4.

Hadn't noticed the rating, until LL mentioned them in his thread I never even looked at the ratings.

Newtire
12-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey rintin,
I, like you, found the search function to be broken as well so sent a request to Wiljen. He sent me this link to paste into the "browser" instead of going directly thru this site. Here it is and it works like this site used to!

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum This will get you where you want to go. When I get a snotty answer, I just turn those guys on ignore. It's a trick I learned in the Submarine Paratroopers.

Love Life
12-09-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm still thinking of a good comeback. It's hard to toss out female relative jokes to old people.

btroj
12-09-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm still thinking of a good comeback. It's hard to toss out female relative jokes to old people.

Did someone call me old?

I figured it was a risky comment but I went for it. You always seem to have a good sense of humor and sure as heck aren't thin skinned.

I suppose the fact I don't have a sister makes a difference?

Love Life
12-09-2013, 11:47 PM
You have officially been called old. Smells like pomade in here...

btroj
12-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Eh. I am middle aged. Now there are some geezers in here and they would call me "sonny".

I'm not old, just experienced. Now Run, he is old.

Love Life
12-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Doe Run is old. Why are you bringing that up now?

Love Life
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Ummm. Middle aged is 29-39. 40+ is old...at this time. Ask me in 11 years or so and I'll tell you that old age starts in the 50's.

btroj
12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
No, old is the age of my parents. People my age are middle aged. People my kids age are young.

Love Life
12-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Toe-may-toe and toe-ma-toe

btroj
12-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Ooooh, you use an E, reminds me of Dan Quayle.

waco
12-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Raisins? Yuck. Always looks like there are bugs in the cookies. Oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips!

Hey Waco, is it ok for us to feud over cookies?

Sure thing! BTW, my mom just made me a big batch of butterscotch oatmeal cookies.

btroj
12-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Please tell me you don't live in you parents basement

waco
12-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Please tell me you don't live in you parents basement

Lol. No. But she only live about two miles from me.

OBIII
12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Good sugar cookies and a good cup of joe. Cures all woes.
OB

(Do not use axle grease on cookie cutters)

44man
12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I was once kind of serious but this is getting to be a wonderful post. I think this needs to be a sticky to relieve tension and make all of us spit coffee on the keyboard.
I want some of those cookies, mostly the wrinkled ones. I will show you how fast to shoot them!

btroj
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah, about those wrinkles. Cookie sheet too cold or oil on it? Ran my ovens t the right temp, pace was right, just got wrinkled cookies.

Anyone got a mould for a GC cookie?

waco
12-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah, well I get frosting on my cookies. Is this good or bad?
Oh wait. I'm sure that a good thing.

ShooterAZ
12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Can ear wax be substituted for bees wax for boolit lube? It sorta looks the same...

45sixgun
12-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Sitting around posting on the "Family Feud" thread.

+

Eating too many homemade cookies.

=

Advanced critical thinking skills,
Guru status on CB,
and
A very dusty treadmill.

....hey, maybe you domestic fellas should spread some cheer and goodwill right here at CB with a Christmas cookie exchange....

MT Gianni
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I clear my cookies with the explore function.

btroj
12-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Sitting around posting on the "Family Feud" thread.

+

Eating too many homemade cookies.

=

Advanced critical thinking skills,
Guru status on CB,
and
A very dusty treadmill.

....hey, maybe you domestic fellas should spread some cheer and goodwill right here at CB with a Christmas cookie exchange....

Most of ours are in the freezer. Someone thinks I eat too many of them but I can't say anything or she gets crabby......

btroj
12-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah, well I get frosting on my cookies. Is this good or bad?
Oh wait. I'm sure that a good thing.

Frosting is bad, icing is good. Well, icing is good on cookies, bad on aircraft. Good thing I don't eat aircraft.

runfiverun
12-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Wait,,,what kinda cookies are you making that makes you think you need a gas check?
I can get up over 200 cookies per hour without one [hmm maybe this gas check thing isn't such a bad idea when dealing with oatmeal raisin cookies at that speed]

btroj
12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Get enough fiber in the diet and a gas check is in order.......

waco
12-11-2013, 09:52 PM

That's when Bean-o is in order....

tygar
12-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I have had little to no success with the search function here, so I say "come on in and ask" to the new guys. Just because he's new here, doesn't mean he's new. I turned on a friend of mine to this site--he's a korean war vet pushing 85 who has been shooting since he was knee high and won more matches in more disciplines than I ever will. And let's face it, boolit casting is a bit of an esoteric subject. You can have a fair size collection of reloading manuals and have zippity do dah about cast boolits.

What grates my teeth is when some of our long time members jump on some one for not knowing something. Until you can grasp at least the basics of any topic, you don't even know what you don't know. Can't ask a question about a subject when you don't even know it exists. I'll be honest, every time I see someone post a "read the sticky" response WITHOUT posting the link to said sticky, I just say "jerk" to myself. That presupposes knowledge about the web site that can only be gained through use of the web site. Not everyone has equal levels of computer savvy. Not every one has reloaded 800,000 + cast boolit loads in the last 82 years. When a new guy asks for help on the "Same Old S***" either help him, or ignore the post. There's no excuse for rudeness.

Glad to hear someone say that.

I got in a P.ing contest with a Boolit Master over a post I made. I had made several posts in that thread but this guy decided to pick apart one of my posts because I asked some general questions & some specific questions.

Instead of either answering the questions or not & just ignoring it, being condescending & saying look at this book or read that article, doesn't sit well with the guy asking the question.

Especially a guy who has all the books, has read the articles, has been reloading for 50yrs & casting for 40. But, maybe the guy hasn't cast rifle bullets, only pistol, so because he has experience & knows that lots of guys out there have the knowledge & since he has always been willing to share his knowledge, without putting down the asker, he thinks maybe he would get the same treatment.

Maybe he doesn't "expound" upon his experience cause it is immaterial to his asking questions about a area he is not knowledgeable in.

Maybe he has searched on this site & didn't find what he was searching for, or found 100 threads that have popped up because one of the words was in the thread but the item didn't have any of the info he was looking for & out of the 100 maybe 1 or 2 had some info on his topic but not what he was looking for & reading 100 posts in the hope of getting a little info is kind of a pain.

Yes I have many reloading books plus cast bullet books that I have had since the 60s.

***The reason someone asks these question is to get insight on what others have found works for them. It can easily cut the experimentation to a fraction. ***

I don't understand this cast bullet thing where someone asks about loads & gets told to read a book. We have the books usually, at least I do. When I get together with my long range shooting buddies most of the talk is about what bullets, loads, primers, turning necks, annealing cases etc. we are useing with success or failure.

That is the first thing we talk about.

Why is it such a big deal here. If you all want to know what my .308 500yd load that shoots under 2" is, I'm happy to let you know; everything. Hope you do even better.

Another thing is that the cast bullet manuals, like jacketed manuals, don't have lots of loads that work well & other info that the "insiders" have. Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast? Well ask the guy who may know.

So when a guy asks for a load for a 55gr Bator which is not anything he has used, but knows that getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that he has little experience in and can save a lot of experimentation & time.

As you know their are lots of craap loads listed that aren't all that good, so saying try 30-33 gr of ----, I use it in my ----- can be of great help.

It is my responsibility to look & make sure that any loads given aren't questionable, or ask guys like NVScouter, 45.2.1, Larry Gibson, Blammer, Buckshot, etc etc. if this is viable, do I need filler etc. These guys all answered every dumaz question I asked & even explain whys & wherefores.

Thanks guys, again!

I'm not trying to be a smartaz but I've been reading the gripe session in the "cast boolits" section about people asking questions & don't think a lot of what newbys are doing is so wrong.

If you don't want to answer you don't have too! You also don't have to put them down.

So, hope you old timers with all the knowledge, will be more willing to part with it to guys who want to learn but maybe aren't doing it the way you think it should be learned.

I can type but sure as hel can't do much on these dam putters & know I don't know squat about rifle casting, so I ask questions, sorry if it bothers some of you.
Tom

303Guy
12-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Mmmm ...... well said, tygar. That's food for thought.

Still, at the end of the day this site is still the safest place to ask a question. You wanna see what kind of dumping on the head one can get on other sites for asking a question that is out of vogue!

runfiverun
12-12-2013, 02:38 AM
the purpose of this site [finally learned how to spell that right]
is to help with casting issues and to bring along new members.
unfortunately two [or more] different answers are both correct quite often.

tygar:
many members here disagree on a few different fundamental issues when it comes to the other part of rifle shooting.
IE can you shoot a naked boolit to higher velocity and maintain the accuracy standards of the rifle.
yeah you can is the answer, and there is no disagreement about that.
the basic differences are the qualifiers of how it's done and why it can/can't be done.
the biggest part of when it definitely cannot be done is because of the fit of the boolit in the throat [rpm thresh hold] and the fit of the case to the rifle [particularly holding the properly fit boolit in alignment with the canter line of the barrel]

anyway, [putting the MOD hat on now]
I recall the thread you are talking about where you got picked on.
the person that did it received a reprimand for his actions.

wallenba
12-12-2013, 03:20 AM

Not really.

Yep,, another unner the alfluence uf inqahol.

tygar
12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
the purpose of this site [finally learned how to spell that right]
is to help with casting issues and to bring along new members.
unfortunately two [or more] different answers are both correct quite often.

tygar:
many members here disagree on a few different fundamental issues when it comes to the other part of rifle shooting.
IE can you shoot a naked boolit to higher velocity and maintain the accuracy standards of the rifle.
yeah you can is the answer, and there is no disagreement about that.
the basic differences are the qualifiers of how it's done and why it can/can't be done.
the biggest part of when it definitely cannot be done is because of the fit of the boolit in the throat [rpm thresh hold] and the fit of the case to the rifle [particularly holding the properly fit boolit in alignment with the canter line of the barrel]

anyway, [putting the MOD hat on now]
I recall the thread you are talking about where you got picked on.
the person that did it received a reprimand for his actions.

Yes, but that's the beauty of asking questions, you get all these different ideas & points of views.

Now you really have something to research & experiment with, & maybe you'll find one or both are correct & just maybe you'll find another answer that is just as correct.

Just like the RPM thing. I NEVER would have thought of that, ever. In jacket, faster spin for heavier bullets, a given, everyone knows that, but never knew about max RPM threshholds, of how much an impact it has on CBs.

If Larry Gibson wouldn't have talked about it & given specific link info on reading about it, I would probably still not have a clue about how the pressure, speed, RPM stuff intertwines.

As for the reprimand, OK but I think I pretty well spanked him myself & we just agreed to not comment on each other.
Thanks
Tom

Hamish
12-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast? Tom

This is as stellar an example of why a newer fellow should never be slapped away from the table without being listened to, you might be talking to an Elmer Keith, not an Elmer Fudd. You have no idea of the posters real skill level. I'd rather walk a guy through a problem than have him beat his head against a wall and think badly about the forum ever after,,,

tygar, thanks for hanging in and voicing your concerns instead of the all too easy blowing the site off and going elsewhere.

varmint243
12-12-2013, 11:55 AM
I was back checking the thread to try to decide what cookies to bake this weekend ?
The posts here got me all fired up.
I have the Kitchen-Aid lift bowl mixer, gas oven, and the stone cookie sheet.
I need to get the other components.
I have used the recipe on the Nestle chocolate chip bag in the past.
Not sure I'm up for sugar cookies or oatmeal cookies.
suggestions ? needs to be easy, I'm not much of a baker.
I have considered brownies as well.

tygar
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I was back checking the thread to try to decide what cookies to bake this weekend ?
The posts here got me all fired up.
I have the Kitchen-Aid lift bowl mixer, gas oven, and the stone cookie sheet.
I need to get the other components.
I have used the recipe on the Nestle chocolate chip bag in the past.
Not sure I'm up for sugar cookies or oatmeal cookies.
suggestions ? needs to be easy, I'm not much of a baker.
I have considered brownies as well.

You have it all wrong! Just have your wife make them. I bought my wife some expensive jewelry & she graciously made me a double batch of those great chocolate chip cookies a couple days ago.

There are a few left so now I am hungry for one & guess I'll get 1 or maybe 5.

varmint243
12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I have no wife or SO at the moment.
Being single frees up a lot of time and money for firearms, casting, and reloading.
Not much home cooking happens as a result.
Excess cookies will be taken to the clubhouse Sunday.
It might be too cold out to shoot, but it's unlikely it will be too cold to eat cookies :)

tygar
12-12-2013, 12:17 PM
It might be too cold out to shoot, but it's unlikely it will be too cold to eat cookies :)[/QUOTE]

yep on my 2nd cookie now. but still have to go shoot. have 2 sight in a rifle for my son to hunt with.

1bluehorse
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Now THAT is funny [smilie=l:.............but I would like to return to the original jist of the op for a moment and on the "newby" questions.....you know the ones that have been asked and answered many times...I enjoy these questions, they make me feel smart...they are the only ones I know the answers to...back to the cookies, try putting a smidgin of cinememmommen in the oatmeal cookies....AND..depending on the size of the batch being made....a couple shots of good bourbon in the mix is good....along with a couple shots while baking said cookies......[smilie=p:.......okay, that's all...

dondiego
12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Rum is also a good choice for cookies!

tygar
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
"Sounds like you shouldn't die when you touch them off, as long as you keep the muzzle pointed away from yourself. " - Ricochet

lol

exile
12-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I have found that since I don't post political stuff anymore I don't get in arguments. And since I don't have the experience that others do regarding reloading I try to keep my mouth shut. Wonderful forum. My two basic criteria for reloading are: 1. Don't damage a firearm (or myself) and 2. Learn something every time I reload. I learn something every time I come here.

May it always be so.

exile

Love Life
12-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Can you eat a cookie designed for a gas check, without a a gas check?

runfiverun
12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
yeah but you gotta do it slower.

243. whichever recipe you go with keep the vegetable oil amount low, otherwise the cookies come out wrong and may give you heartburn.

varmint243
12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
yeah but you gotta do it slower.

243. whichever recipe you go with keep the vegetable oil amount low, otherwise the cookies come out wrong and may give you heartburn.

The last time I made them was a couple years ago, I was working nights then and one of the females at work was giving me ideas.
I did something so they would stay chewy, but they didn't flow just right, they were kinda fat in the middle and a tiny burn around the edges
Maybe I'll get it right this time.
I seem to remember all of them got eaten regardless.

I don't do the alcohol, life and me get along much better without it :-D

dondiego
12-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Believe it or not, I am preparing to bake a batch of brownies with marshmallows and nuts. I got a free box of Jiffy brownie mix during a parade on Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day. My friend was marching in the Honor Guard in his full WWll battle uniform carrying a Garand. I have never baked a batch of brownies. You guys have inspired me. My only lube will be real butter. I don't care if they get frosty or wrinkles!

varmint243
12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Believe it or not, I am preparing to bake a batch of brownies with marshmallows and nuts. I got a free box of Jiffy brownie mix during a parade on Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day. My friend was marching in the Honor Guard in his full WWll battle uniform carrying a Garand. I have never baked a batch of brownies. You guys have inspired me. My only lube will be real butter. I don't care if they get frosty or wrinkles!

pictures or it didn't happen :-)

popper
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Darn Gear, she made Tiger Butter last nite. Can I use it for boolit lube?

varmint243
12-12-2013, 03:56 PM

IDK, does it look like the stuff pics ?
I don't think I would waste that on bullets

I tried making some bullet lube that came out with stripes.
One day I'll figure out something to do with that mess.

dondiego
12-12-2013, 05:24 PM
The brownies are out of the oven! I can't do pictures........sure wish I could do scratch and sniff! Wow! These smell good! This is the first batch that I have ever done. V243 - Looks like you are an expert! Looks like fudge.

varmint243
12-12-2013, 05:38 PM
The brownies are out of the oven! I can't do pictures........sure wish I could do scratch and sniff! Wow! These smell good! This is the first batch that I have ever done. V243 - Looks like you are an expert! Looks like fudge.

I should have noted that those pics are from a Google search :( - my bad
I didn't know what "tiger butter" was
Email me pics from your phone and I will post them in the thread.
I am stopping at Wal-Mart and getting supplies for some chocolate chip cookies on the way home this evening

waksupi
12-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I only have one thing to say on the topic of cookies.

SNICKERDOODLES!

Love Life
12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
What's the best recipe for snickerdoodles? I tried searching like a million times, and couldn't find it. I don't own recipe book...

Sweetpea
12-12-2013, 05:53 PM

SNICKERDOODLES!

There is a gas station between my house and my work that fresh-bakes some AWESOME snickerdoodles...

I have to drive a different route to ensure my clothes fit...[smilie=b:

varmint243
12-12-2013, 06:17 PM
What's the best recipe for snickerdoodles? I tried searching like a million times, and couldn't find it. I don't own recipe book...

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/snickerdoodles/7ffc92a9-d847-4869-9ecb-99de3b751b14

:mrgreen: I got it, but I couldn't resist anyway :mrgreen:

bhn22
12-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Seriously guys, 12 pages? :2 drunk buddies:

Since I'm in late, are we still discussing cookies, or has that changed?

BLTsandwedge
12-12-2013, 06:29 PM
My wife makes cookies and that's it. I cook everything else. Bless her soul she can't par-boil t**ds for a tramp. But her cookies......my goodness, her cookies. They's wot inspired me to buy a BhN tester in the first place.

Tom....in PA.

snuffy
12-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Now, dadgummit, stop talking about cookies, fudge, brownies and other sugar infested goodies!?:cry:

It's like a slap in the face for us diabetics, somebody is responsible for the drool on my keyboard!:violin:

Thank God for a few sugar free baking mixes, one for white cake, another for chocolate cake and one more for brownies. ACK! They taste like semi sweet cardboard!~:coffee: Oh, the sugar free frosting ain't too bad.

Dietician says I can cheat once a week for something I really like, BUT then I realize how good those baked treats taste, I have trouble eating the sugar free stuff.

Just like the bacon grease thread. I have high cholesterol, and already have one heart stent, so I have to use the best low fat oils to cook with. This forum is a conspiracy for us with health concerns!:coffee::confused:

Yeah, I know, :violin::violin::violin:

Love Life
12-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm just trying to keep some form of feuding going on.

Mumblypeg
12-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts.... for eating a brownie.

runfiverun
12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
wait, there has to be a story behi errrr nevermind, I just filled in the blanks.

how can you not have a recipe book? did you do a search for a recipe book?
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-stuffed-peanut-butter-brownies/8c8829e5-e957-4a79-97ae-6788d7c4a21c?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=Facebook&niseg4=BettyCrocker&nicreatID4=Post&sf703619=1
here is an online resource for recipes... dunno why it was saved in my favorites I have NOT seen any of these in the house.

Love Life
12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Can I substitute powder sugar in place of granulated sugar? Will it cause a Kaboom!?

Love Life
12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Look. I have been baking for 40 years, and I swear I have baked this same exact cake 1,000,000,000 already, but why does my cake stick to the pan? I swear it has never stuck to the pan before in the last 1,000,000,000 I've baked it. Oh, and please ensure your answer meshes with my ideas or else I will argue and disregard any help you try to provide.

bhn22
12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Can I substitute powder sugar in place of granulated sugar? Will it cause a Kaboom!?

You'll need to reduce your original recipe by 10% and work your way up (or down) from there.

btroj
12-12-2013, 08:20 PM

SNICKERDOODLES!

My wife loves snickerdoodles, i find them bland and boring.

Oatmeal scotchies or a good chocolate chip cookie are great. We just made some with oatmeal, chocolate chips, and peanut butter in them. Very tasty.

btroj
12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Look. I have been baking for 40 years, and I swear I have baked this same exact cake 1,000,000,000 already, but why does my cake stick to the pan? I swear it has never stuck to the pan before in the last 1,000,000,000 I've baked it. Oh, and please ensure your answer meshes with my ideas or else I will argue and disregard any help you try to provide.

Do you OWN a dang cookbook? Just owning an oven doesn't make you a baker. A real baker grinds flour from home grown wheat, churns butter from cows milked by hand, and uses only organic ingredients otherwise.

Love Life
12-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Anybody know what the best chocolate chip is for baking chocolate chip cookies? I heard Toll House can be kind of dirty?

varmint243
12-12-2013, 09:22 PM
How much money am I going to save by making my own cookies ?
I just got back from Wal-Mart and the stuff to make some chocolate chip cookies was $31.
Can I use the same components in all my other cookies ?

Love Life
12-12-2013, 09:25 PM
How much money am I going to save by making my own cookies ?
I just got back from Wal-Mart and the stuff to make some chocolate chip cookies was $31.
Can I use the same components in all my other cookies ?

Only if you get a "Yes" answer from a random poster on the internet. Anything on the web can be taken as the absolute gospel.

btroj
12-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Anybody know what the best chocolate chip is for baking chocolate chip cookies? I heard Toll House can be kind of dirty?

You need to use the right wax base on the chips, it helps keep the mess down.

bhn22
12-12-2013, 09:31 PM
I only like little cookies. I don't bake little cookies because I can buy them for the same price, and my times worth something. I could be eating cookies instead of baking them. You know nothing! :cry:

btroj
12-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Little cookies are for wusses. Real mean eat big cookies and they eat em fast!

Little cookies. Girls......

waco
12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Little cookies are for wusses. Real mean eat big cookies and they eat em fast!

Little cookies. Girls......

Oh yeah? Well I can fit 15+ small cookies in one bag. You can only put 7, maybe 8 big cookies in your bag.

geargnasher
12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Popper, if you exceed the RPM threshold of the stripes, you get spirals in your cookies.

I got this recipe off the internet and it blew up my oven. I'm going to sue General Electric for putting glass doors on their ovens.

Gear

btroj
12-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Popper, if you exceed the RPM threshold of the stripes, you get spirals in your cookies.

I got this recipe off the internet and it blew up my oven. I'm going to sue General Electric for putting glass doors on their ovens.

Gear

You cooked in an oven with a glass door? Are you daft? Everyone knows they aren't safe unless checked by a competent smith or an internet expert.

Some people shouldn't own ovens........

Love Life
12-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Did somebody say Daft Punk? To youtube I go!!!

Oh, You didn't compress the flour charge for your cookies did you? Most of the time when a Kaboom happens it is the baker, and not the oven.

btroj
12-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Dammit, no daft punk! That is worse than someone bringing up the ducks.....

Wait, I can't put Waco down in his own thread, can I?

waco
12-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Dammit, no daft punk! That is worse than someone bringing up the ducks.....

Wait, I can't put Waco down in his own thread, can I?

It might start a feud if you do.......

btroj
12-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't want that......

geargnasher
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I put filler in my cookies, that's what did it. Ringed my cookie sheet, too.

Gear

Love Life
12-12-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm going to start coating my cookies to prevent artery blockage. We may need to start a new forum on that though.