PDA

View Full Version : Texas vehichle regs

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Ok. What does texas have for inspections? My truck currently has a cracked windshield, exhaust is broken off right at the back of the cab, although ir has all new pipe and catty to that point. Do my offroad/moose lights need to be covered, or is just unplugging them good enough? Anything else i should check over and make sure im ready for the trip?

bandit7.5
12-04-2013, 01:59 AM
If you are from out of state................YOU ARE DOOMED

starmac
12-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Exhaust has to be just past the passenger compartment. No Alaska windshields. lol They could be cracked, but not in the drivers line of sight. brakes, tires etc. not too bad, at least a few years ago. Emissions has to all be intact.

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Ok. So if i just weld a short pipe out the side in front of the tire, or a smoke stack, is that good? Do i need to buy some kind of muffler? My crack is high on rhe drivers side. Ill show you when I bring you that lead.

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 02:29 AM
If you are from out of state................YOU ARE DOOMED

Really dont like te sound of that...

starmac
12-04-2013, 03:54 AM
You will have to have a muffler, but no turnout unless they have changed.

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Hmmmm...whats the cheapest thing that counts as a muffler? Mines buiried in a mudgole in the alaska range somewhere

starmac
12-04-2013, 04:31 AM
glasspack. lol I may have something that would work, if I didn't haul them off. lol

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Lol. I may be up that way tomorrow. Today didnt happen. I need to get a new battery tomorrow as well since if i let the truck sit for 15 mins it goes dead. Its rather annoying

Goatwhiskers
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
One stupid thing, if that's a dually you have, Texas requires mud flaps. Really! GW

lancem
12-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Depending upon the county I believe you may have to pass emissions testing.

Lights, you can have no more than 4 headlights lit at any time, so you can have lo beams and 2 fogs/ hi beams and 2 driving lights, extra lights do not have to be covered.

texassako
12-04-2013, 01:00 PM
A couple of helpful links to get it from the source: http://txdmv.gov/motorists/new-to-texas and http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx . My old truck has a cracked windshield in the driver's view. Inspector said it was fine for inspections but you can get a ticket for it.

waksupi
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I'd do as little as possible to get by. You won't need to do an inspection immediately. You would most likely be better off selling your truck when you get there if possible, and get a smaller 2wd that gets good mileage. You're not dealing with much snow down in that country.

john hayslip
12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I live in Texas. My 2007 FJ Cruiser has a windshield cracked from both sides. The one on the drivers side has been cracked almost from the beginning. It goes across my line of sight. No one has ever questioned it at an inspection and the couple of times I've been lucky to get warning tickets for something else neither officer mentioned it. When these things came out the windshield was only available from Toyota and the price quoted was $1300 if I remember correctly. It's upright windshield seems to collect rocks.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-04-2013, 02:00 PM
strap!

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I dont do 2wd. My truck is pretty good on gss...better then the 2wd v6 model i had. How much is insurance/registration. Anyone have a zipcode for ganzalas?

lancem
12-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I dont do 2wd. My truck is pretty good on gss...better then the 2wd v6 model i had. How much is insurance/registration. Anyone have a zipcode for ganzalas?

starmac
12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
What ever you do, do not insure it in harris county, even if you wind up working there. lol It used to be triple what other counties cost.

w5pv
12-04-2013, 03:26 PM
There are 8 or so towns in Gonzales.County TX.if that is where you are headed,I think you have 60 days before you will have to change anything.The crack will not keep you from getting the vehicle inspected but the exhust is a different story.I think on a pickup the pipes have to be 6 inches above the cab.Tread on the tires above the wear bumps.Taillights, license plate lights,turn signal lights,brake lights must work.Head lights must have lower and high beam working.Wiper blades in good shape.Emission standards must be met. Brakes in good shape.Proof of liability insurance.I think this will get you by.If you live in a rural county with a low population the emission test may not be required test .

Monttexan
12-04-2013, 06:44 PM
No emissions testing in Kleberg or Nueces counties. You're going to be a couple hours north of here if you're heading to Gonzales but I'd be surprised if you'll have emissions testing there. I had to put mufflers on the '74 Plymouth Satellite I had when I moved down here in '06. If I remember correctly you'll have to have proof of insurance and the inspection done before you go get Texas tags. You may need to deal with your license first too....I remember it was a pain in the butt. Mud flaps are for sure required on commercial vehicles....not sure about a non-commercial dually but I wouldn't be surprised.

lancem
12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Ha forgot about that, you have to have your vehicles registered before you get your licence *** backwards in my mind but... Registrations at the county tax office, licence at the DMV. Hope you have better luck than I did getting your licence, went 5 different times before somebody was actually there and the office was open, wouldn't have been a big deal but it's a 120 mile round trip... Oh and you're going to need like 50 ID's, so take your passport, birth certificate, DD214, plus you'll need something to prove your address like an electric bill or a phone bill... I am off grid, no electric bill, was waiting 90+ days to get a phone in so no bill... had to get a letter from the county council showing they issued me the address, forgot that was one of the 5 trips in that someone was there but I needed this... Oh but I didn't need it to register the trucks... Madness as only government can provide :)

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
For the exhaust ill probably weld a cherry bomb in there, and then run it out the side right in front of the rear tire, or up the back of the cab...

WILCO
12-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok. What does texas have for inspections?

http://www.txdmv.gov/

Do the research. Get the facts. Stay out of trouble.

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
What about headlight color?

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 01:17 PM
http://www.txdmv.gov/

Do the research. Get the facts. Stay out of trouble.

Thanks Wilco. One question. Does that $50+change include one year of registration or is that 2 years?

lancem
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks Wilco. One question. Does that $50+change include one year of registration or is that 2 years?

One year, another thing, if you title your vehicle in TX they will add a $100 welcome to TX fee, but we found that if you change the title during the transfer such as add the wife's name then it is a title change and that fee doesn't apply.. Madness..

BTW if you are looking for oil field work there is quite a boom going on in the Midland/Odessa area

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Well since the truck has a lein on it i dont know if i can swap the title to texas anyway

DRNurse1
12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Happy Trails, Bull Shop, Jr. A friend retired to Tx and I love to visit him. Beautiful place and looks like the have the right idea about most things. Reading this thread, though, it seems the New York DMV folks have a satellite office in Tx.

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok. So i started collecting stuff today to try and make my truck legal down there. I got the cheapest muffler they had at Napa, a Trush Welded. Should be fairly quite. Will they get on my case if I weld that under there and then put the pipe out right if front of the tire or a smoke stack?

possom813
12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
What year is your truck? Is it a single rear wheel or dual?

You have 30 days to register your vehicle after moving to Texas.

You must have good windshield wipers, but you aren't required to have a windshield

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Items of Inspection for a Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80"
05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
21. Window Tint.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.

Items of Inspection for a Truck 80" or More in Overall Width
05.03 Inspect Every Truck 80 Inches or More in Overall Width For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes system (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps
18. Clearance Lamps
19. Side Marker Lamps
20. Side Reflectors
21. Head Lamps (2)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular style of truck being inspected.)
22. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
23. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
24. Window Tint.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.

possom813
12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra. Its not dually, although the rims are kind of wide. It was whitespoke rims on it...are those legal down there?

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 10:35 PM
And what does evidence of financial resposibility mean??

possom813
12-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Financial Responsibility

Most drivers buy liability insurance to meet the state’s financial responsibility law. You must buy at least the minimum amount of coverage. The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident. This basic coverage is called 30/60/25 coverage.

Because of car prices and the high cost of medical care, the minimum amounts might not be enough to pay all of the costs you’re responsible for if you’re at fault in an accident. You must pay the costs above your insurance limits. Consider buying more than the basic limits to protect yourself financially.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb088.html

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Ok. Alaska requires $100,000 on everything, so my currect insurance plan should be fine.

geargnasher
12-05-2013, 11:01 PM
It means INSURANCE. Minimum state requirements be met on a policy card issued by a legit insurance agency, with current date.

Tires may not extend past the wheel openings unless fender flares are added to cover them. How WELL they are covered is up the discretion of the inspector.

Exhaust must be essentially stock, and the tip must extend to the edge of the vehicle body or slightly beyond. Any muffler is legal, it just has to have one.

All Federal emissions equipment with which the vehicle was originally certified by EPA must be present and working.

The "welcome to Texas" fee can approach $200, PLUS registration fees. This is if you plan to move here, otherwise we don't care what you drive. EDIT TO ADD, the only exception I can think of to needing to meet the annual state safety requirements for driving on our highways as a visitor is license plates. Texas requires both front and rear, but many states don't. If your state doesn't require a front one, we don't and you won't get a ticket for not having one until you register in Texas. However, your loud, too-short exhaust or anything that doesn't meet our minimum safety requirements CAN get you ticketed or impounded even if you aren't a resident. So fix the exhaust back like it should be, exiting behind the rear tire, make sure your flares meet at least the edge of the tire tread, and put covers on those off-road lights, even if just visiting.

Do yourself a favor and follow and read the information in the links that others so kindly posted above. The info you seek is there. There is a procedure for registering an out-of-state vehicle here, and the very first step involves getting a form signed by a state inspector that your vehicle meets legal requirements.

It is odd, but on a street-driven, light truck, the windshield is not an item of inspection. However, the wipers have to work, and the blades cannot be ripped more than 1/2" on the tips. I put a sticker on a T-bucket kit roadster that did not HAVE a windshield, but had a single rear-view mirror and vent window for me to put the sticker on. It had wipers that worked, in place, and installed by the owner who knew the regs. It also had mud flaps since it had no fenders. I'm sure he took them off after he got home with his sticker, but I took pics to prove it was legit when I stickered it so I didn't get a $2500 fine.

Gear

Bullshop Junior
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Ill get sw pics. The tires dont extend paat the body on the rear on not enough to really tell on the front

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Ok. Here are the pics of the exhaust. From in the truck its pretty quite. About like stock.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/y7ysa2ej.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/y5a6u9y7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/2e8ahe8a.jpg

Took me about a hour to get it all welded up. I built the whole deal right from te manifold, 4' of straight pipe, the muffler, and then a 90 degree angle out the side in front of the passanger tire. Its got a mount welded on and bolted to the frame behind the manifold, in front of the muffler, and at the end of the pipe. Think it will work?

Btw. It was all used pipe, but none was rusted. I had to make a few angles kut of straight pipe. That was fun lol. I plugged the end of the pipe and i couldnt find any leaks underneith.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM
ing ...

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Two of the mounts have rubber. Its still has the cattys and sensors. That are just below each header, and then coming out if the duel cattys the pipe comes together to one pipe. This is where is broke at and i just welded feom there back.

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 11:19 PM
And for the tires rims we have...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/uzetazep.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/yvu7aren.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/agytadar.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/ryjeqa7a.jpg

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh, yea. Whats the rules on headlights? Are the euro beam projector lights legal? And HID legal? All of my lights are converted to HID And what about color?

This is what the color of mine is now. Are these gonna get me pulled over? (All the lights are the same color, even the offroading lights)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/7yqetymy.jpg

Beekeeper
12-08-2013, 11:22 AM
The very first thing you need to do is lose the Alaska plates.

Last 2 times I went to Texas ( for family funerals) I was arrested for having California plates on the car.
Policeman and state troopers words not mine "Everyone knows that all of the cars crossing Texas or in Texas with out of state plates are transporting drugs so we arrest them all and let a judge figure it out".
Was comming out of the cementary the last time and the local yokel cop wanted the judge to allow him to dig up the grave as he was positive there were drugs hidden there.

So beware of the great state of Texas if you are not born and bred there.
and I was

beekeeper

DLCTEX
12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd just get here, visit the inspection shop, and let the inspector tell you what is need for him/her to pass your vehicle. You wouldn't believe what some people drive here when they first come. The light bulbs you have will pass, I meet many of those bright suckers on our roads.

Bullshop Junior
12-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Mine have the projectors so they are dimmer then they look. That pic was taken on highbeam at about 3' away from the bulb.

jumbeaux
12-08-2013, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Beekeeper;2513489]The very first thing you need to do is lose the Alaska plates.

Last 2 times I went to Texas ( for family funerals) I was arrested for having California plates on the car.
Policeman and state troopers words not mine "Everyone knows that all of the cars crossing Texas or in Texas with out of state plates are transporting drugs so we arrest them all and let a judge figure it out".

Beekeper please tell me where you were in Texas when you were arrested for having California plates...other than 4 years in the Navy I have lived in Texas all of my life and have never not one time heard that someone would be arrested for having out of state tags nor have I ever heard that a State Trooper would haul you to jail without probable cause. My grandfather was a judge for 50 years and your statement doesn't quite add up.

rick

Beekeeper
12-08-2013, 06:32 PM
The town doesn't make any difference and I still have family that lives there.
Since I have not been there in a number of years I don't know what the political climate is.
Try anywhere along I40 or US 60 in the Panhandle and you will not be far off.
By the way the local judge said If I didn't like how the police department worked to leave Texas, which I did!!
For me the best picture I ever saw was the welcome to Texas sign in my rear view mirror.
I was born there ,raised there and now will drive 5000 miles out of my way to never have to enter there again

Does that say I have a great dislike for Texas? I hope it does.

Sorry to hyjack your thread bullshop JR but just remember I warned you!

beekeeper

gbrown
12-08-2013, 09:33 PM
The town doesn't make any difference and I still have family that lives there.
Since I have not been there in a number of years I don't know what the political climate is.
Try anywhere along I40 or US 60 in the Panhandle and you will not be far off.
By the way the local judge said If I didn't like how the police department worked to leave Texas, which I did!!
For me the best picture I ever saw was the welcome to Texas sign in my rear view mirror.
I was born there ,raised there and now will drive 5000 miles out of my way to never have to enter there again

Does that say I have a great dislike for Texas? I hope it does.
Sorry to hyjack your thread bullshop JR but just remember I warned you!
beekeeper
I have no problem with this. I was born, raised, and am a Texican. Not ashamed of it, matter of fact, kinda proud of it. I been stopped by TXDPS numerous times--never got a ticket. Only had 2 tickets in my life by local PD. I was wrong both times, oh well. TXDPS troopers I have dealt with and know are professional, respectful, courteous and don't fudge on the law. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on that--UNLESS YOU ARE AN a$$____. I was an LEO for 15 years and had people talk themselves into an arrest or ticket, so I know the game. Went out of my way to give 'em a break.
There are license plates around my neck of the woods, Indiana, Alaska, Ohio, Florida, California, Virginia, etc. (these I saw in the last 5 days) to be unbelievable. Nobody's going to bother them unless they are Wrong. The fact that you don't want to come back here is no problem to me. Your decision, and I support it! Good luck, bud!

jumbeaux
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Beekeeper...So you sir stand by your statement that you were arrested for having California tags ? Arrested as in handcuffed, read your rights, placed in a police unit, taken to a facility, searched, photographed and placed in a jail cell ? Again all of this for driving into Texas with California plates ?

bullshop jr you will have no more trouble (probably less) with registration and inspection here in Texas than any other state requiring those things...the only areas of the state that require emission inspections are the large EPA regulated non-attainment counties...out of 254 counties there are few of those (primarily large metro areas). Texas requires liability insurance. If your tires are worn to the thread warning bars, if your wiper blades are bad, if your truck is lifted there is a headlight height restriction and if your windows are tinted there is a certain level of tint allowed. Read the guidelines posted on line and take care of any issues before hand and you will have no problems. Oilfield jobs are still hot in several areas as are construction jobs. Good luck and don't be concerned here if you are a law abiding citizen. We are accustomed to "non-Texans" moving here for work and for the most part the experience is pleasant.

rick

geargnasher
12-10-2013, 01:30 AM
I see a few things I still wouldn't pass. The links have already been posted. The tires and wheels are fine, the only thing we specifically disallow for the safety inspection is true beadlocks.

Gear

starmac
12-10-2013, 01:54 AM
LMOA Myplace is 18 miles from the Texas line on I 40 and farm to markets roads get me to Hwy 60 in short order. When I am their we actually do our shopping in Amarillo and have been to most even podunct towns in the panhandle over the years with Alaska tags. I will not say I've never been stopped or ticketed in Texas, but have never been stopped or hassled over out of state tags, maybe they just don't like Californians. I have had them want to search my vehicle, but halfway knowing your rights has always prevented that. I did spend a night in jail over a speeding ticket in a small Texas town, but it was a year after I got the ticket, and I drove back to Texas to go to jail, my choice..

Bullshop Junior
12-10-2013, 02:24 AM
I see a few things I still wouldn't pass. The links have already been posted. The tires and wheels are fine, the only thing we specifically disallow for the safety inspection is true beadlocks.

Gear

You see things on my truck you wouldnt pass or on texas roads in general?