PDA

View Full Version : Coolidge, Arizona. Anyone familiar with this place?

hithard
12-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Things are getting serious with my girl and Coolidge is on the list of possible places to raise a family.

I'm no stranger to small town living and the like, live in the Bay Area of California right now. So any place is going to be better hunting, shooting,.....ect. Not to mention her Sister's family live's there. I would talk to them but don't need the bias side of things.

I'm an electrician, mostly industrial and commercial experience, most of it as a foreman. Anyone know about work? quality of life? hunting, shooting, atv's and genereal outdoor stuff?

Thanks for your input.

Wag
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm an AZ native and that's not exactly where my preference would be. To qualify myself, though, I've not lived in Coolidge proper but it's pretty close to Mesa/Phoenix and very likely comparably hot. Very hot.

That said, though, it's centrally location to some GREAT recreational areas and some wonderful town. You'll just have to drive a bit.

Read this from their city site: http://www.coolidgeaz.com/

That should start you on some other information.

If you have any additional questions after that, let me know.

--Wag--

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Hot. Close to the Florence Prison...possible job ops there. Hot. Within easy driving distance of PHX. Hot. Small town atmosphere. Hot.

Did I mention it was hot in the summer......May to November. The rest of the year the weather is beautiful. Will be a big shock from the Bay Area!

Your trade would fit into the mining industry which is up and down right now. Also power plants.
Closest smelter operation/mining is Globe, Miami and Hayden, San Manuel.

Power plants in Tucson, PHX. Most are a bit of a drive. But you rarely have to worry about bad weather......other than dust storms!

Oh.........is hot.

I have lived in AZ for almost 30 years and like it.......other than June, July and August.

banger

JCherry
12-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Earlier posters have mentioned Coolidge is hot. They are right. I'm not sure they mentioned how hot. 100 Degree days there are actually comfortable, 105 Degrees are a little warm, 110 Degrees is hot, 115 Degrees is HOT! 120 Degree days make you remember how cool 100 degrees actually is. Yes, it can get over 120 Degrees in that area.

Have Fun,

JCherry

starmac
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Just in case nobody mentions it, it is hot.

Pros the girls sometimes wear some very skimpy clothes

Cons So do some of the men.

hithard
12-03-2013, 11:20 PM
And people live there!

Okay, think I'll just let that idea go unless she pushes very very hard. I mean very hard!

Thanks guy's!

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-03-2013, 11:26 PM
0 too!

starmac
12-03-2013, 11:29 PM
To get out of the bay area, you may just find you love the heat. lol

waksupi
12-04-2013, 12:39 AM
So, for the people who live there, what part of the state would you choose, away from the cities?

hithard
12-04-2013, 01:30 AM
So, for the people who live there, what part of the state would you choose, away from the cities?

Can I add....where it isn't so dang Hot!

Blacksmith
12-04-2013, 01:38 AM
I visited Coolidge for the competitive carriage driving competition one year. It was HOT. The locals said it wasn't hot because when it was hot they would get up in the middle of the night to exercise their horses because it was to hot during the daytime.

My parents lived in AZ for many years and I have visited them and various parts of the state while they were there. In AZ the climate varies with the elevation. Northern part of the state, up on the "Rim" is cold in the winter with snow and cool in summer. The southern part is hot dry desert. the area in between Phoenix and Flagstaff is not bad. Sedona is a beautiful area or was before all the California transplants moved there. Many places in AZ arn't as crowded together as in the coastal areas of the country. My parents thought nothing of driving 130 miles to Phoenix to do a little shopping and I remember during one visit looking for an alternate route and noting the next closest north south road was 100 miles west of where I was. I don't know about jobs especially in this economy.

leadman
12-04-2013, 02:06 AM
To me the ideal climate would be in the Prescott or Payson area. The bigger "lakes" are closer to payson than Prescott. Coolidge is very hot and not so remote as the whole state is filling in with people it seems. When I moved here in 1981 there was about 1.2 million residents, now it is around 8 million.
There are lots of National Forest, BLM, Etc. lands so hunting is decent, big game with fireams is normally thru a draw, or lottery system. Elk, Deer, bear, javelina, rabbits, quail, squirrels, and antelope are all on the menu.
Lots of places to shoot but most require a drive to get too, at least around the phoenix metro area.

starmac
12-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Anywhere on the rim is nice, around prescott is pretty nice. Springerville, eager area is nice. Going straight north of phoenix, there is nothing that I would slow down for until I was past camp verde, unless it was to make a left at cordes over to prescott. lol

oldgeezershooter
12-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Don't rule out Bagdad, mining community, nice weather, nice people.
Prescott and surrounding areas, some prune-pickers but not a bad place.

starmac
12-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Waksupi, if you ever go down there be sure and check out Crown King. It is probably 30 miles of dirt climbing up to it, but a neat LITTLE town up in the mountains where it's nice and cool and only 60 or so miles out of phoenix. It would be hard to make a living up there though.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-04-2013, 08:31 AM
AZ has lots of variety! http://www.buzzfeed.com/sebastiana2/36-reasons-why-arizona-is-the-best-state-1yiw?s=mobile

Gar
12-04-2013, 08:36 AM
hithard, I live in Valley Farms which is 4 miles from the center of Coolidge, PM me if things start to look like you're moving in this direction. I also have contacts with all the Electrical Contractor in the state (I work for the largest MEP engineering firm in the state).

Starmac, I can see you've never been in Coolidge, local girls wearing very skimpy clothes is NOT a pro. If you need proof, just park in the Coolidge Walmart parking lot for a bit!

jonp
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Flagstaff. Went to college there and it is not only beautiful when you get tired of colder weather a short drive south off the rim and its 70 again

jonp
12-04-2013, 09:02 AM
hithard, I live in Valley Farms which is 4 miles from the center of Coolidge, PM me if things start to look like you're moving in this direction. I also have contacts with all the Electrical Contractor in the state (I work for the largest MEP engineering firm in the state).

Starmac, I can see you've never been in Coolidge, local girls wearing very skimpy clothes is NOT a pro. If you need proof, just park in the Coolidge Walmart parking lot for a bit!
You beat me. Google.people of walmart

oldgeezershooter
12-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Waksupi, if you ever go down there be sure and check out Crown King. It is probably 30 miles of dirt climbing up to it, but a neat LITTLE town up in the mountains where it's nice and cool and only 60 or so miles out of phoenix. It would be hard to make a living up there though.
That 30 miles seems like 130.

starmac
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
That 30 miles seems like 130.

That would be the kind of roads and places I like though. lol

Guys It has been a while since I have hung out in that area, and never at wallmart, but if all the gals have gotten ugly, I don't see any reason to go back. lol