PDA

View Full Version : What lube is the best,

405 WCF
11-20-2007, 06:46 AM
for velocity around and over 2000 fps?
The reason I ask, is becouse I must try someting, to make my old 405 to shoot accurate.
The lube I have at home is Lymans moly, LEE's liquid, and Roosters red.
My 405 doesn't seems to like any of that lube.

Bass Ackward
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
My 405 doesn't seems to like any of that lube.

Then maybe it ain't a lube issue?

You have very soft, to .... well, call it firm. Before I spent a whole lot of money, I'd try mixing a small amount of Rooster with Lyman Molly. That ought to end up somewhere in the middle.

Then if you are still not satisfied, you may have to look for another cause.

405 WCF
11-20-2007, 08:06 AM
I have already that mix at home, and my 444 love it.
But, the fact that my 444 love it, doesn't tell so much, becouse, the 444 is accurate with whatever I lube with.

44man
11-20-2007, 08:43 AM
A lube change can improve accuracy to a certain extent, but like Bass says, you have other issues to solve first. The lube is usually the last thing to test after the gun and boolit is fit and tuned for the best it will do. Most any lube will shoot OK as long as it prevents leading. You can turn a 2" group into 1" by experimenting with them but they will not solve a boolit that does not like the high velocity or does not fit either the throat, bore or twist rate. The wrong alloy can give you fits too.
Every boolit in a given gun only likes one velocity for it's best accuracy, some want more speed and some less. If you think about it, it is the same with jacketed bullets.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
In my 95 I have been using Lyman boolit #412263 with around 2% tin added to WW. They cast at .413 which is what the bore slugs to. So I have been shooting them as cast and using the NRA lube mix OF 50/50. Powder load is 50 Gr. of 3031 which is 7 grains under an old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook load. That 57 loading was said to give 2250 FPS. I don't have a chrono but I would estimate (perhaps wrongly) that my stuff is going downrange at around 18-1900. The grouping is ok at 100 yards...4-5" which is alright considering aging astigmatic eyes and the effect of the curved buttplate after 10-20 rounds. I lube all grooves and use a roll crimp so no boolit movement and no leading. 95's are hard shooting, hard hitting old smokewagons, and probably need to run at least at 1500 FPS; maybe I ought to work with some different powders to see if I can improve the group and lower the ouch a bit. But the lube, bullet weight and sizing dia. seem to be on the $.

Bass Ackward
11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
But, the fact that my 444 love it, doesn't tell so much, becouse, the 444 is accurate with whatever I lube with.

And this is my point.

When everything is correct for the gun, lube is a tuning factor, not a make or break obstacle.