PDA

View Full Version : Heart Update

Hickory
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I saw my cardiologists yesterday. Saturday I will have a heart cath done.
If a stent is required I will receive one where needed.

No matter what he finds the pacemaker goes in next Wednesday.

I got some clarification on the 30% heart function. The Doc was refuring to a nerve that goes across the heart and controls the heart function and rhythm.
The signal that this nerve produces has fallen from 52% to 30% in the last year.
My heart skips 1or2 beats every now and again, that every now and again is becoming more and more frequent. I tire easy nowadays, I hope getting the pacemaker helps. Next Wednesday is the big day.

I asked the Doc about deer hunting. He said not a chance for this year.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I've prayed for things to go well with your surgery. Let us know how things are going.

NSB
12-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Hickory, sorry about the hunting for the year. The up side is that they know what's wrong and can do something about it. Get yourself in shape and next year hunt twice as much and enjoy it ten times as much. The game isn't over, just postponed. I sat out some of the season this year going to rehab after three stents. I'm just going to do more when I can. Still happy to be here. Glad to hear they've got a plan to get you well. Best of luck to you.

w5pv
12-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Hickory hang hang in there like a yellow yard dog,Prayers sent for a speedy ans complete recover

nicholst55
12-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Prayers sent! Hang in there, pardner.

gmsharps
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
At least they caught it in time to do a controlled fix. Take care

gmsharps

TheCelt
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I saw my cardiologists yesterday. Saturday I will have a heart cath done.
If a stent is required I will receive one where needed.

No matter what he finds the pacemaker goes in next Wednesday.

I got some clarification on the 30% heart function. The Doc was refuring to a nerve that goes across the heart and controls the heart function and rhythm.
The signal that this nerve produces has fallen from 52% to 30% in the last year.
My heart skips 1or2 beats every now and again, that every now and again is becoming more and more frequent. I tire easy nowadays, I hope getting the pacemaker helps. Next Wednesday is the big day.

I asked the Doc about deer hunting. He said not a chance for this year.

Hi Hickory,

Well Sir, looks like you have a bit of a haul in front of you! Seeing as how I just went down sort of the same path I thought I'd share a little of my experience to put your mind at ease.

In 2008 I got double pneumonia. The Virus that caused the pneumonia attacked my heart and damaged it badly. My Ejection Fraction (normal is 70%-85%) was 15% and they wanted to do a heart transplant. Long and short of it was I said no, so they installed a pacemaker/defibrillator and put me on a drug cocktail. Like you I didn't hunt (or anything else) for the rest of the year. Recovery was long but eventually my heart function increased to 30% and then 35-40%!!! I ain't running any marathons but I can now do pretty much what I used to just can't do it as much or for very long. It doesn't matter if it's caused by a virus or a blocked artery, heart damage is heart damage!!!

This past October I spent two weeks in northern Idaho Elk hunting!!! I plan on deer hunting next week and probably several times again through December/January. I don't use a tree climber anymore but still hunting is just as rewarding. I figure you'll do well Hickory and will be fishing, shooting and hunting in short order!!! BTW, if you are right handed make sure they but the pacemaker on the LEFT side!!!! You don't want the butt of your rifle/shotgun thumping that rascal every time you pull the trigger!!!

Good luck to ya Sir, and God bless ya. Praying for a speedy recovery!!!