PDA

View Full Version : mannlicher sob story almost

nekshot
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I closed a door firmly and heard a loud thump, opened the door and my 1 pc stock lee enfield is again a 2 pc unit. (fell off a cheap wall hanger).I never did like this stock anyhow so I get to remake it. I am always looking for advise, input about these long stocks. I can not say I ever made one I really liked. I have some nice walnut now and I really like this tiger gun stock to use as inspiration for the enfield. What say Ye, would it look shtuupit or should I stay traditional. Waksupi please help me with some pointers for this project! I think it is catchy neat how they slimmed the stock ahead if the mag.
89327 89328

Frank46
12-03-2013, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't be so fast to junk that stock. Looks like all the wood is there and should be fixable. Check with Ben a member here and ask for his opinion. Hope this helps. Frank

Bullshop Junior
12-03-2013, 12:52 AM
If you do choose to trash that stock, i bet there are some members here who would like to get their hands on it. I know I would.

waksupi
12-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Well, there is an interesting story behind that Tiger Cat, I remember it well.
As you can see, it's a pretty nice piece of wood on there. When I was profiling it on the stock cutter, the cutting bit came loose, and made a nasty gouge in the bottom of the forearm.
It was obviously deeper than what would work out with a standard Mannlicher design. So, all of us in the shop scratched our heads over the problem for several days. Then I had a brainstorm, while working on the sculpting lines of a bolt release on another rifle. Why not use the same raised panel sculpting on the forward part of the bottom metal on the Mannlicher? It would save a $2000+ stock.
So, we gave it a try, running the fore end line out from the lower sculpted level that would eliminate the gouge. It worked!
That rifle was one of our exhibition pieces at SHOT and SCI that year. Field and Stream called it the best of the SHOT show, and the owner of Sako rifles tried to buy it. It was already sold though, so he was out of luck.
SO, I designed a first and one of a kind rifle, all because of a mishap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpquPs_NSKo

nekshot
12-03-2013, 05:48 AM
waksupi, my hat is off to you BIG time. You did a great job! I kinda thought that profile could flow around the big nasty mag/floor plate of the enfield. Have some hunting to do yet and then the wood dust will fly. Gonna knock out that sacreligious flinter also this winter since the operation helped steady my hands and cordination.

TheGrimReaper
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
That SMLE with the one piece stock was/is so nice!

carbine
12-03-2013, 12:35 PM
I can NOT work with wood. Any idea of what it would cost to do a one piece on an SMLE? Who does that?

nekshot
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
carbine, I bought a santa fe to the one pc stock thing. I really altered the rear of the reciever to fit respectfully into a one pc stock. It was fairly easy after the modification was done. I spent about a week on it as my pain mods would allow. It fell straight down and the barrel landed on a 5 gal bucket and rear stock at same time and that snapped the wrist. I can only work with the wood I have as a limited income doesn't allow much splurging. That cherry wood was only 5 7/8 inch wide and not enough to give it proper dimensions. A friend gave me some beautiful streaked walnut and that is what I will use this time. To do a 1 pc enfield that feels right in your hand I think needs this mod done to it. I showed this on the forum but I don't remember where.

shooter93
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
8942889429I like the classic style myself. A Gunmaker friend of mine did this one for me. A Swede action and a decent piece of English walnut. He floated the stock using a clever method and it shoots well.

gnoahhh
12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Soooo many full stocked fore arms look like clubs. The reason Mannlicher-Schoenauers pull it off, and look so svelte compared to most modern full stocks, is that M-S's incorporate an ever-so-slight concavity to the line running from the front action screw up to the muzzle cap, as viewed from the side. A lot of guys ignore that detail (I can't tell if present company is excluded!) and the resultant stock looks like a chunk of fire wood.

Also, most guys who try to emulate old world Germanic styling are schooled in American-style 'solidity' of stock design. In that old style one must think outside the box and not be afraid to remove a lot more wood than what 'feels' right.

nekshot
12-05-2013, 06:32 PM
shooter93, very nice indeed. I like the sight setup. If I had a friend that could do that kind of work I would be in his shadow when ever he would do stock work!

shooter93
12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
lol nekshot...I am his shadow. He does all the metal work too and there is a great deal of detail on his guns most people miss. His shop is 5 minutes from me and my second home....smiles.

quasi
12-15-2013, 04:39 AM
the grain direction on the Lee Enfield stock is all wrong thru the pistol grip, no wonder it broke there.