PDA

View Full Version : 10lb# Lee Lead pot cleaning brush idea Pic.

gregg
11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Here what i have used to brush out a 10 LB# LEE lead pots.

454PB
11-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd suggest you wear a dust mask while running that beast.

gregg
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
I'd suggest you wear a dust mask while running that beast.
Your so right. A guy will get way more lead in your system with the brush than ever would casting bullets

VTDW
11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't forget the face shield, gloves, goggles and a long sleeved shirt. From an OLD welder that has used lots of those.:-D Good idea there. From the looks of it you will be using a drill rather than a hi speed tool so the danger is not so great.

Dave

Lee
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
ESPECIALLY the eye protection! A similar escapade a few years ago cost me just over $300 in out of pocket expenses to have the eye surgeon clean the grit out of my cornea. Now that was a dumb move on my part, one that I'll never repeat!.............Lee;-)

HORNET
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
I've got a 3-1/2" cup wire brush that I use on the little LEE and my ancient model 61(?) Lyman. Got a 3-1/2" regular wire brush that also works but doesn't get the bottom very well. Think I got them on sale at the local hardware store. Use a drill at low speed wearing a face shield and dust mask, usually outside or in the garage. You can also get out a lot of crud by filling them with water and letting them get up to a rolling boil, then dumping them.

Dale53
11-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Let's see...I have been casting bullets for over fifty years. I am a bottom pour man. I have never cleaned my pot. In that period of time, my pots have run 100's of thousands of bullets, too.

Not knocking other people and their cleaning habits, but I just never found a need to do so.

Dale53

montana_charlie
11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I used a cup brush like the one pictured to clean the hard, crusty layer out of my old Lyman Mould Master when I pulled it out to begin casting (again) after twenty-odd years in storage.
I used a 'dollop' of detergent motor oil, and about a 1/4 cup of hot water as a 'cleaning solution', but it's primary purpose was to prevent dust.

When the cast iron was uniformly visible, I dumped the 'crud' and rinsed the pot...twice...with gasoline.

Before heating, I sprayed the interior with aerosol graphite, and the pot has not had that ugly build-up since. I think part of that 'improved cleanliness' comes from wood stick fluxing...which allows improved surface scraping below the lead surface.

I don't drain the pot often, but when I do it looks as clean as my Lyman dipper. While empty (and cold) it and my dipper get a fresh shot of graphite.

CM