PDA

View Full Version : RF ammo at WallyWorld!

oldred
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
The local Wal-Mart had a decent (for the times) stock of ammo for most of the Summer and I mentioned it earlier here because I thought maybe the shortage was easing up but as most here correctly assumed it turned out to be mostly just a matter of my being there at the right time. As fall approached the ammo shelves were once again swept clean with only a few odds-and-ends available most of the time, however this morning I went by the sporting goods section and there on the shelf in plain view was SIX 333 round boxes of Winchester 22 LRs! These were priced at $19.97 which seems to be dirt cheap these days when they can even be found yet there they were along with a smattering of 9MM, 45 Auto and a bunch of 40 S&W plus a few rifle calibers. This along with Bass Pro having 500 round bricks at $25 during their after Thanksgiving sale and stating they had a minimum of 300 per store makes me think that just possibly things are starting to ease up a bit.

BTW, I left those 22s for someone else because I have plenty myself having stocked up after the last scare but it sure looked good seeing them there!

w0fms
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
I managed to pick up a federal 22LR 525 value pack last week (to think I used to call that "jam-O-matic practice ammo" when it was readily available at $17/525) at the local wally for $23. My timing was right.. it happens some time. It'll go to the local club and the YHEC team for classes, most likely. My kids are on the team, but I've been supplying all of the team with 22LR since the club ran out! ;)

Anyway.. the stuff is slowly coming back.. I'm seeing more and more on the shelves at the local Wally lately...

dbosman
12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
I think the pre-Black Friday shortages have been explained. We'll have to see how December and January shake out.

cbrick
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
LGS had some 22 RF this morning, Federal's American Eagle @ $2.50 a box, 2 box limit. Ok, give me two box's but when I get home I'm thinking that box looks small so I look a little closer and they are 40 round box's not 50. Never seen that before in any brand.

Rick

starmac
12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I have never seen 40 round boxes either, but sounds like the ammo companies may have been reading the same playbook others have.

Moonman
12-02-2013, 05:48 PM
American Eagle have had 22LR 400 Round BRICKS for a bit now.

dragon813gt
12-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Picked up three boxes(225) of Remington Golden bullets at Walmart yesterday. Came out to $21 for 550 which is $2 more than what they charge for the brick. So the price isn't bad. Now that ammo....my 10/22 eats it up and is fairly accurate with it. So it's not a wasted purchase.

BD
12-02-2013, 06:32 PM
I checked three Wallyworlds between Portland and Newport Maine this weekend. Not a .22 rf to be had.
BD

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I found the 22 shortage to be stupid, as like to shoot a lot. Its easier for me to find and almost as cheap to shoot my 22 mag, and it has way more punch.

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 06:38 PM
LGS had some 22 RF this morning, Federal's American Eagle @ $2.50 a box, 2 box limit. Ok, give me two box's but when I get home I'm thinking that box looks small so I look a little closer and they are 40 round box's not 50. Never seen that before in any brand.

Rick

American Eagle of Federal has had the 40 round boxes/400 round bricks for at least ten years.

jonp
12-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Found 3 boxes at wallys 100/$9.95.

w0fms
12-03-2013, 11:37 AM
One of the LGS's claims to a friend of mine (hearsay, but fairly reliable) that they get about 30,000 rounds a week of 22LR. And it's gone in less than one day. The sporting goods manager at Wally said "that sounds about right on average" when I told him that story. I checked the next day at the Wally and no more of anything he was unloading was on the shelf. So considering in a metro area of about 300,000 people, and about 10 stores selling it... that's a round per person per day if that is true. ;)

So if you were wondering exactly how many rounds of 22LR it takes to shoot down a drone.. about 30,000 a week, apparently! ;) (I love that joke).

It's gotta die down soon.. hoarders and scalpers can only go so long....

oldred
12-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Gone! Six boxes a couple of days ago but nothing except dust on the shelf in that spot today, of course that's what I expected. It sure looked good seeing it there however and the fact that much survived for a day or two is very encouraging.

KCSO
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
According to the manager at the local Wal Mart at midnight every delivery day the same 6 guys are waiting and as soon as the 22's hit the shelves they buy their limit and usually clean out the shelves. These are the guys selling it for $90 a brick at the gun shows. I refused to sell them ammo here in the store.

jonp
12-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Id think the walmart would finaly say enough to that too but I guess as long as its sold they don't care who gets it. If I saw that I would start a 1 box per day limit and keep a list of who buys it

quilbilly
12-03-2013, 01:38 PM
At our local Wallyworld on Saturday they got in about six 500-bricks of 22 RF of that American eagle brand. They limited customers to three 50-boxes per transaction. I didn't buy because I was too busy thinking about that $297 Remington 770 with scope in 308 caliber that had a managers special 20% off.
I bought it for the $240 (its hard to find a used beater 308 for that little at gun shows let alone with a scope). I will use it as a project rifle for CB's (wooo hoo!)

Love Life
12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Good snag Quilbilly!!

cbrick
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
These are the guys selling it for $90 a brick at the gun shows.

The last guy at a show I saw with 22 prices like that looked really annoyed with me. Perhaps it had something to do with the deep prolonged belly laugh he was hearing. :mrgreen:

Rick

trys357
12-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Walmart in Hudson NH seldom has 22's....3 box limit on all ammo.
Usually if a bunch of us shows up we split what's available, sometimes only a box/100 rounds.
Nobody leaves empty handed...and mine always go the the grand kids.

Springfield0612
12-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Sportsmans Warehouse in Silverdale, WA had .22 LR 333 count CCI tactical $21, Winchester WB 333 count $19, and 375 Count Swamp People for $27. 1 box per customer per day. They had it on black Friday. So I scored some more .22 for the kids to plink with! Merry Xmas! I've been lucky over the last 6 months and scored about 6000 rounds total.

The last time I got it at Wallyworld it was on the very bottom shelf, in the very back corner, no tag on the shelf, kind of hiding next to some 12 ga shells. When I saw it I asked to buy some, the guy said, "We don't have any .22 in stock." So I asked about the 3 boxes on the bottom shelf. At this point I was going to be nice and just buy one box and let the other two go to other people. Then the Wallyworld guy says, "Well I guess we do, I think one of the other employees stuck it down there to save it to buy for themselves later." He then proceeded to ask the next three employees that walked by if they had stashed it down there. he concluded it was a fourth employee that had done it and was going to be pissed that I had gotten his .22's. So after all that he looks at me and asks, "So how many boxes?" I responded, "Well I was going to be nice and buy just one, but after hearing that I'll take all three." The next day I emailed the store manager and she called me immediately. She reassured me that all the employees that were involved with the incident would receive a repremand. A couple months later we're out shooting and a dad pulls up with 3 boys to do some shooting and we start talking. .22's get brought up and the ammo shortage and scalpers etc. he'd only been able to find 50 rounds for his boys to shoot. We were getting ready to pack up and leave. So I went to the back of my car and grabbed a mostly full box of the 525 count remmingtons I had bought from WW and handed it to him and said, "Make sure they shoot it and have fun." His jaw dropped and was speachless.

Ever since the incident at Wallyworld there as been very full shelves of ammo. But still no .22's.

starmac
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Wallmart here has a one box limit, but it still doesn't last a day, sportsmans limits you to one brick or two small boxes, and no matter how high they stack it, there is none the next day. I was talking to the manager at frontier, and he told me that there is 50 to 100 people a day average come in and ask for it. lol

olereb
12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Nothing at wallyworld down here,i stopped by last weekend and as usual the shelves were bare.

Charley
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Clerk at a Waltopia here was talking to someone about .22 ammo, when that person walked away, I asked him oif he hd mentioned having .22 Rimfire in stock. His answer, "Nope these aren't rim fire, they're hollow points". Shoulda been in hardware selling left handed monkey wrenches...

starmac
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Clerk at a Waltopia here was talking to someone about .22 ammo, when that person walked away, I asked him oif he hd mentioned having .22 Rimfire in stock. His answer, "Nope these aren't rim fire, they're hollow points". Shoulda been in hardware selling left handed monkey wrenches...

If he told that to anyone looking for them, and they passed them up, well they don't need any ammo anyway.

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 05:54 AM

Now that is just sad...

frkelly74
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I went to the Wal-Mart in Plainwell and asked if supplies were improving and the man at the gun counter said "yes, improving a lot". So I said " where is the 22 ammo? " and he said , " you have to get here real early to get 22 ammo". So I guess it is about the same as it has been. But , they did have some of the 22 Cricket rifles on hand for about $92 out the door. So one of those came home with us. First time for filling out the 4473 on a computer screen for me. The boy should be quite pleased with his new cricket. We will have to use some of my stash of 22 ammo with it though. I still have boxes of 22 ammo that are marked $.87 for 50 rounds.

That was sure a nice thing to do, making sure someone else had some ammo there springfield 0612.

dakotashooter2
12-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Those 40 cnt American Eagles have been around forever. I believe they were/are a "promotional" load. A couple stores around here used to have them on sale one or two times a month. They were always advertized for less than the other brands but anyone that bothered to do the math realized they were not any cheaper than the next brand of 50 cnt. I still have a couple boxes from before when my son started shooting and thats close to 20 years ago.

Even though I have a couple years supply (I don't shoot them much) I still grab a brick when I can and will continue to do so since I recently became a grandpa... Stockpiling for the future generation or if nothing else an investment for my grandson.LOL.........

I recently heard of a gentleman I know who had brick upon brick of .22 ammo he has been buying for years (he hasn't eeven shot for years) and recenty sold it at auction and got premium price for it. If I had only known..................