PDA

View Full Version : Lead production RIP

Hogtamer
12-02-2013, 06:50 AM
As of December 31 there will be no, Zero, nada, nary lead smelters left in all of America. Any iron ore mined will have to be shipped over seas somewhere to be processed into usable lead for ammunition and imported. Guess what that will do for already high ammo prices? We are allowing ourselves to be governed by unelected regulators. How long?
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/01/Allen-West-EPA-Engaging-in-Backdoor-Gun-Control

btroj
12-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Man, again? This must be the 10th "new" thread on this. This is becoming the new "can I shoot a GC design without a GC".

No primary lead Smelters making lead from ore. There will be plenty of places creating new alloy from scrap.

Garyshome
12-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Get it while you can!

Prospector Howard
12-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Couldn't agree more Bill. Another nail in the coffin of the US. Death by a thousand cuts.

Hickory
12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
All need to keep at least 100lb in reserve for desperate need, and recycle what you have and what you can lay you hands on. A lot of recreational shooting will be curtailed in the future.
Seek out new sources of lead, hourd as much as possible. Make boolits ahead sized and lubed.

oldred
12-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Any iron ore mined will have to be shipped over seas somewhere to be processed into usable lead for ammunition and imported.

Lead is processed from IRON ore?????????????

jcwit
12-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Was it not a foreign company anyway, Canadian I believe.

Its also my understanding they are planning to build a plant in Mexico if they do not already have a production plant there.

Furthermore the military is moving away from lead ammo.

bhn22
12-02-2013, 11:18 AM
The virgin lead ore is being sent to Mexico for processing. They're probably also casting it into battery plates, and building our car batteries down there too. NAFTA in action. BTW, where was everybody when all the other lead plants were being shut down? The bullet market is okay, they mostly use recycled lead, and the current lead recyclers are not in any danger. Other than that... I'm with btroj.... I see a new thread on this every other day on my internet travels.

TES
12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Anyone else thinking that we (America) have to do this so that we do not default on our debts? We can't pay cash for anything any more so we are paying them in profits from our resources.

my 2c

JohnFreeman
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Great move! More pollution and less US jobs.

Government in action!

jmort
12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I doubt we will see lead shortages and if the price goes up, the market will adjust at some point.

Thundermaker
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Bullet manufacturers don't get lead from them. The company has been given money to update their facility and get it to EPA spec over the last 30 years. They didn't. Maybe they had to use that money to stay afloat. Maybe someone pocketed it. Either way, there is no market for their product, so they're shutting down. It won't cause a shortage. I'll tell you what will cause a "shortage", people saying there will be a shortage. That is, after all, what started the ammo "shortage" if you think about it.

The media tried to make this a crisis. There just isn't one. They interviewed bullet manufacturers and lead sellers. They all said that the Doe Run plant closing will not affect their operations because they do not source lead from that facility.

MarkP
12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
My grandfather told me the company he worked for was selling lard to the Japanese in the late 1930's, interestingly they had a special requirement that the shipping containers had to be made from a specifc lead alloy.

mold maker
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
The Dear Run plant closing will have very little effect on the price of lead here in the US. There will always be some virgin lead produced as a byproduct of other metal mining activity.
The % of world lead production at the closed plant was just a fraction. Most is being produced in Mexico and China. We are the worlds largest consumer of China and Mexico exports, so there will be little change.

country gent
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Just a quick note here, 70-80 years ago with the natural resources available and the mind set of the workers we retooled complete industries to fight ww2. We are trading our heritage of for very little in return. This Deer Run cosing down is just another step in the process.

Freightman
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
if you keep talking a shortage I will be selling more lead for a higher price, I can get more than I can dig as back stops me.

starmac
12-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I keep getting a kick out of the thinking that it will not affect ammo because they use salvage lead. That salvage lead comes from a primary smelter first. This doesn't just affect shooters and ammo, it affects the whole country as just one more nail in the coffin of our self reliance. What happens when we have a war on our own soil and these foreign countries we so gladly depend on puts sanctions against us, like we have other countries, and refuse to import to us on credit that we so freely use.

jcwit
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
You REALLY expect a war on U.S. soil?

We keep getting more and more lead available for recycling, goods coming in from overseas.

starmac
12-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I would be dumb, to think there will never be a possibility of war on our our own soil. there are a lot of countries that are advancing their capabilities, while we are steady weakening ours.

jcwit
12-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I would be dumb, to think there will never be a possibility of war on our our own soil. there are a lot of countries that are advancing their capabilities, while we are steady weakening ours.

Well I will admit "never" is an awful long time. I seriously doubt war on U.S. soil will ever happen in my lifetime, and by the time it does, if it does, I also seriously doubt the use of lead will be a major factor in deciding the outcome.

starmac
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
The lead deal is just one of many, we are fast becoming dependant on other countries for a lot of things. Even food if a lot of folks get their way.

btroj
12-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Great news!

We have another thread on this entitled "Doe Run" in case nobody saw it here!

jcwit
12-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I still have faith in the American way, and whether or no I'm closing in to the end of my days, while I'm concerned about my daughters and granddaughters they are the ones who will have to carry on, little I can do about it. Plus I doubt I'll look down and say, see if you would have only done this or that. I'll be to busy trying to keep my harp in tune.

bangerjim
12-02-2013, 08:22 PM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........!!!!!!!!

How long will people keep posting this "news" that was announced back in 2010???????

Please read and use the search engine on this site.

Please stop!

banger

btroj
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
What? Search?

I prefer to put it this was, people need to think with their head and not their mouth.

MtGun44
12-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Clearly the primary problem is the difficulty of extracting lead from iron ore.

Bill

Thundermaker
12-03-2013, 12:50 AM

If there is a war on our soil, where will you get powder and primers? The ammo will run out eventually. Hope you can shoot a bow.

Love Life
12-03-2013, 12:53 AM
I'll use shurikens and nunchaku.

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Clearly the primary problem is the difficulty of extracting lead from iron ore.

Bill

Wow......I was really worried. Now I know all the galena ore they get iron out of is safe@@@@@!!

banger

jonp
12-03-2013, 08:35 AM
You know, I always hoped to see a debate between Col. West and "Debbie does Miami" Shultz.
It would be Legendary.

dragon813gt
12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Funny how it was the EPA regulations under the Bush administration that caused them to decide to shut the plant down. But Obama is being blamed because he'a currently in charge. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Obama. But this closure was a long time coming.

btroj
12-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Bill, you are preaching to the choir.

This topic seems to come up at least 5 times per month in a new post. It has become the new "gas check bullets without gascheck" thread.

It grows tiresome to rehash the same thing week after week after week.

bhn22
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Please read:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/

jonp
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Great news!

We have another thread on this entitled "Doe Run" in case nobody saw it here!
Did you hear what a disaster Obamacare was turningout to be? We need a thread on that

jcwit
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Say what???

I thought I could keep my Dr., period.

btroj
12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
If he said it then it must be true

FredBuddy
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Bill W. is correct in his far sighted assessment. Government regulation is killing this country, and it is pervasive in every facet of our lives. Some mention O-care. Over 700 times is the phrase "to be determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS)" inserted. That means there are 700 avenues for regulation. We ain't seen nothin' yet !

Hogtamer
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I blame auto correct on IPad for dumb "iron ore" remark. As for the thread I plead ignorance - this was news to me. Don't get out of my forum much I guess (shotguns) where when we shoot lead it's an ounce at the time!!! So any lead shortage is a really big deal. You wimpy rifle shooters come pay us a visit some time!:kidding: