PDA

View Full Version : I am better than this, but it was my time I guess.

Adam10mm
12-02-2013, 03:05 AM
First speeding ticket ever. :(

Coming back home from a trip to Green Bay tonight, I got pulled over on the Crystal Falls to Convington stretch (38 miles of literally nothing but pine trees on either side) in the lower part of the UP. Vehicle ahead of me was driving sporadically between 50 and 65mph, speed limit 55mph. I had to get around this guy as he was making me nervous. Driving my wife's Explorer (I'm not used to it's handling). Came up in pace and got along side the car I was passing, looked ahead and realized it was a gentle curve. I sped up even more just to clear the vehicle and get back in the lane before oncoming traffic arrived, as I saw a faint light around the bend. Got around and back in the lane and saw the oncoming car signal to the right and pull to the shoulder slowly. Well a little ways down the road a car popped out from behind the car behind me and lit up. I signaled, pulled over, it followed. OK, it's for me.

Came to a stop, told my kids (7yo & 2.5yo) to just stay calm, everything is OK, stay quiet while I speak with the officer. Officer (deputy actually) came to my window. I had already turned on the dome light (night time) and placed my hands on the steering wheel. Asked for DL, registration, and proof of insurance. I told him I would get it but first according to state law I had to declare that I have a concealed pistol license and am armed, my weapon is on my right hip in a holster. He thanked me for informing him and asked where I kept my DL. I told him my right rear pocket, same side as my weapon. He kind of made a face like "Ok how am I going to figure this out". I asked him if it would be best if I used my right hand to release my seatbelt, then turn my right hip toward the steering wheel, then retrieve my wallet with my right hand [my hands remained on the wheel at this point]. He said yes that would be acceptable and that his partner was on the passenger side watching; I did just that and handed him my DL first, then my CPL, and then returned my hands to the steering wheel and asked my wife not to move her hands but where does she keep her paperwork. She stated in the sunglasses holder in the overhead console. I asked the deputy if my wife can use one hand to retrieve it, to which he agreed, and she did, passing it to me and I handed it to the deputy.

Deputy then asked if he knew why I was pulled over. I said probably something to do with the manner in which I passed that vehicle back there. He nodded and said he clocked me at 73 in a 55mph zone. I cringed and reiterated I was just trying to get around the vehicle and back into the lane as fast as possible. Asked me what was going on there. I told him about their erratic speed, getting along side them, noticing the curve, etc. He said I made the right move but the law states that when passing I still must abide by the posted speed limit. He stated he understood the reality of driving on the highway, but 73 is a bit much in that situation. Told me he would issue me a ticket for 5mph over the posted limit and asked me if I had any previous moving violations or any outstanding warrants. I said I've never had a ticket and have never been arrested or had a warrant issued. He said he'd be back with the paperwork in a few minutes.

He arrived back at the window, handed me back my cards and info, then explained the ticket stuff. I have to call the courthouse within 14 days to check with the judge with what I need to pay for a fine. It wasn't listed on the citation, which is weird. When I went through the police academy in WI, they emphasized the fine amount must be on the ticket. I did some searching around and it looks like it will be a $130 "civil forfeiture".

I'm embarrassed that I did something so stupid to have gotten pulled over and issued a citation. I'm a better driver than that. Live and learn. Sets me back about 20% of my paycheck, so it's a hard lesson learned. Story of my life.

Perhaps it's better to press on the brake, get back behind them, and just take life a little more slowly.

starmac
12-02-2013, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't stress to much, I got my first one at 13 along with a no dL ticket and several over the years since. I pretty much slowed down when they came out with the cdl though.

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 03:20 AM
I usually drop back in behind if I cant pass safley. I have a issue called having 14 HID moose lights on my truck so I always try to be in front. Ive been pulled over a total of 5 times, but have never gotten a ticket because of that. I did get a ticket 2 years ago for slidding through a red light on ice and causing a accident.

It sucks, but i think they usually give you 90 days to pay. You just have to contact within 14 days to tell them your intention

762 shooter
12-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I've had my share of civil forfeitures in the past.

In my older years, when I see a gap in traffic, or a chance to pass I realize that the extra 10 seconds that I will save aren't worth any type of risk.

I do take solace in the fact that when some truly unsafe posterior wipe passes me, I pull up behind them sooner or later at a stop sign or a light and they have only gained a car length in trade for a death defying act.

762......Old Fogey

NoZombies
12-02-2013, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't sweat it too much, I've been pulled over more times than I could count, and have had a few tickets to go with them.

I once got a written warning in a speed trap. I think the cop must have made a bet with the guy riding with him, because he tried really hard to get me to make an excuse for my 'excessive' speed, and when I didn't he seemed flustered and wrote the warning.

Garyshome
12-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Heat of the moment thing. That's usually when the get me. Need to control that.

reloader28
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Tickets are no big deal. I've had lots when I was younger for drag racing. Even lost my license for a while.
What would have ticked me off is the gestopo tactics you mentioned. They act like EVERY single person is on the most wanted list.

garandsrus
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Go to court and plead guilty. Ask for no points and you will probably get it, especially with a clean record. The points will cost you more than the ticket, over time, with insurance rate increases.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
In MT, you can opt to "pay the fee and forfeit the bond" which is legal garble for
"paying the fine without admitting guilt"
The guy in front of you should have gotten a reckless ticket as well, that's the crappy part

jmort
12-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I have got so many tickets over the years. What a waste of $$$. With a 200 mile commute, I expect to get dinged now and then.

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Ive always gotten off easy since its a small town. I got pulled over once for doing a burnout around a guy in a intersection, and across two lanes of traffic. Cop coming up out of napa. Cop walks up and said "Daniel.....I don't EVER wanna see that again!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?!" I said No, and he said "You were going 84 in a 35...do you habr a reason for that?" Me..No sir...I was still in second gear...him "What the H*LL is under that hood?!" Get out and show him the supercharged turboed 5.3L chevy and he just shakes his head and said keep the burnouts out of town. I thought I was gonna lose my licence.

jsheyn
12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Seems like a fairly normal trafic stop...sounds like He was pretty nice to you only citing you for 5 over and not putting any points against you!

AlaskanGuy
12-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I am just glad that they did not make you turn over your weapon...lol. After reading about all the confiscated guns stuff, that was my first thought...

AG

Adam10mm
12-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Here in the UP, the police academy teaches that unless the guy is doing something stupid/unsafe, the safest place for a loaded weapon is in a holster. Last thing anyone wants is a loaded weapon being handled. Best policy is every gun stays in its holster and everyone goes home. Up here, if you're being disarmed you messed up big time. It's very, very uncommon for anyone to be disarmed during a traffic stop here.

I gave the paperwork a day to get to the judge's office. I was told by the deputy to call within 14 days and get payment squared away. Since it was just last night, I'll call him tomorrow and see what I have to do. The fine amount wasn't on the ticket, but a Google search indicated it should be $130 civil forfeiture. Someone also said because it was on a federal highway, there are no points on the license.

w5pv
12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
It took me about 30 years to learn that driving a few clicks under the speed limit was a lot cheaper.Leave a little early set the cruise and forget about the radar and speed traps.

Jailer
12-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Seems like a fairly normal trafic stop...sounds like He was pretty nice to you only citing you for 5 over and not putting any points against you!

Here in the UP, the police academy teaches that unless the guy is doing something stupid/unsafe, the safest place for a loaded weapon is in a holster. Last thing anyone wants is a loaded weapon being handled. Best policy is every gun stays in its holster and everyone goes home. Up here, if you're being disarmed you messed up big time. It's very, very uncommon for anyone to be disarmed during a traffic stop here.

I gave the paperwork a day to get to the judge's office. I was told by the deputy to call within 14 days and get payment squared away. Since it was just last night, I'll call him tomorrow and see what I have to do. The fine amount wasn't on the ticket, but a Google search indicated it should be $130 civil forfeiture. Someone also said because it was on a federal highway, there are no points on the license.

Any moving violation is points in MI. Trust me I've had my fair share to know.

Got a nasty gram from the SOS back in the day that if I got one more speeding ticket I could kiss my license goodbye. After the last one I got off lucky clocked at 90+ on the highway with just a 5 over I decided I'd had enough and slowed down. I hardly ever go over the speed limit now since I sold my bike.

Adam10mm
12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Any moving violation is points in MI.
That's what I thought. I've never heard of a zero point speeding ticket before.

starmac
12-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't know how the point system works in MI, but I would imagine if he dropped it to 5 over, then that is the minimum points, 6 over probably would have been more. At least I have been given breaks that worked out like that before.

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't know how the point system works in MI, but I would imagine if he dropped it to 5 over, then that is the minimum points, 6 over probably would have been more. At least I have been given breaks that worked out like that before.

Sounds about right to me. Good think about points is they go away after awhile.

jsheyn
12-02-2013, 04:34 PM

OK, my bad not sure how MI does it but in PA we dont get points untill you hit 6 over

Vehicle code 3362
Exceeding maximum speed (Miles over Speed Limit):
6 to 10 - 2 points

11 to 15 (if violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 3points

16 to 25 (if violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 4points

26 to 30 (if violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 5points

31 and over Departmental Hearing and Sanctions provided under Section 1538(d) and 5points

(if violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension)

Scroll to the bottom
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf

If I was any more ambitous I would go look up MI but fortuatly...I am not:)

OK I had to go look it up.....you got 2 points

Two Points:
 10 mph or less over the legal speed limit.
 Open alcohol container in vehicle.
 All other moving violations of traffic laws.
 Refusal of Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) by anyone under age 21

Top of Page 43
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wedmk_16312_7.pdf

dbosman
12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Here's the pertinent part of Michigan law. But...
http://www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/point-system.php
Two points
10 mph or less over the legal speed limit.

The question still remains open though since it was a Deputy not State Police.
The money sucks. Been there, paid that. I screeched through a left turn on yellow -in front of a campus cop (deputy not police) and while I got no points, it was $175. Didn't exceed the speed limit, but did screech the tires.

Johnch
12-02-2013, 05:08 PM
1 ticket will cost you some cash

I have had 2
Both in less than a year and that made the 2 one 2X as much $$

But just be glad he gave you 5 over
I know a youg lady that got clocked doing 120+MPH in a 20MPH school zone
Not sure just how much her ticket was , but she lost her license for 3 years
Not even for work

John

Adam10mm
12-02-2013, 05:09 PM
The question still remains open though since it was a Deputy not State Police.
That's the weird thing. In WI the fines are set by the state so it's the same fine no matter where in the state. I guess MI counties can set their own fines?

hiram1
12-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Well guys i have payed for one or two cop cars in my day to so don't feel to bad.

375RUGER
12-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Has nothing to do with your ticket but maybe someone can use advise on how to inform LEOs that you are carrying.
IMO, It is not advisable to say gun or weapon when informing. For instance, if the LEO on the passenger side had come up and only heard "weapon" or "gun" how do you think he would react? I personally prefer to have my DL and CWP out and present them both, CWP on top, and announce that "I am wearing it" or "I am carrying". Just seems to me less likely to be misconstrued by the partner who may not have heard the whole conversation. Take it FWIW, maybe somebody needs this info to think on.

starmac
12-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Any more I get out as soon as I stop, raise my hands,spread my legs, then with my arms spread wide put them on the hood and bloody my nose on the hood, it saves them a lot of work and they go easier on me. lol

Bret4207
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't know how it works in Mi, but you might ask the Judge or ADA or whoever prosecutes the stuff there if there is any way to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation. Here they do that all the time for first offenses. Usually the fine is a little heavier since they are giving you a break, but the points are lower or none.

As far as the gun goes- jeeze guys, it's not like you've just killed someone and are trying to come up with a tactful way of mentioning it. I've probably stopped 1K people with guns. Usually they say something along the lines of, "Uh.....I don't know if you care, but I've git my pistol with me." Me, "Oh yeah? What kind? Got it on your permit? Okay, well let's not worry about the gun and you can tell me why you were doing 83 in 55....". Really. There's no need to get all nervous and jerky. It just makes you look nervous and jerky. If the state you live in says you need to tell the cop you got it, go ahead. But there's no need to do like my younger brother did one night when I pulled him over- Doofus stops the car, throws the keys out the window and sticks both hands out the window. I had no clue it was him and he didn't know it was me. I walked up, took one look and asked him what the heck he was doing? He says he saw it on Cops and figured that was what you were supposed to do. (Did I mention he's not the smart brother?) I pointed out he looked pretty stupid and his keys were in a mud puddle freezing to the ground. Also told him to fix his tail light and left him looking for his keys....

We don't talk much.

Adam10mm
12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Has nothing to do with your ticket but maybe someone can use advise on how to inform LEOs that you are carrying.
IMO, It is not advisable to say gun or weapon when informing. For instance, if the LEO on the passenger side had come up and only heard "weapon" or "gun" how do you think he would react? I personally prefer to have my DL and CWP out and present them both, CWP on top, and announce that "I am wearing it" or "I am carrying". Just seems to me less likely to be misconstrued by the partner who may not have heard the whole conversation. Take it FWIW, maybe somebody needs this info to think on.
In my CPL class, we were told during the law portion regarding declaring carry status to state specifically: You have a CPL, you are armed, and the location of your weapon. Once the NRA training portion was done, it was always called a weapon. That's what it is. I've never heard a cop call it anything else.

The instructions we were given by the State police officer giving the law portion is do not grab anything prior to the officer getting to the window. Movement in a vehicle is a good way to put an officer on an higher alert than he already is. He said at night the best thing is to just pull over, put it in park, turn the dome light on and get your hands on the steering wheel. I did just that.

starmac
12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Now that is funny Bret. lol I will have to agree, that there is no reason to get all nervous. The only time I had a cop get exited over a gun, was when I left an empty holster on the dash. I really couldn't blame him, after he started talking to where I could make any sense out of what he was screaming. lol

possom813
12-02-2013, 09:48 PM
"Oh yeah? What kind? Got it on your permit? Okay, well let's not worry about the gun and you can tell me why you were doing 83 in 55...."

Because I was trying to hit 88 miles per hour so I could go back in time to win the lotto:mrgreen:

If you change 83 to 86 and 55 to 70, then that's a true story that happened to me leaving work one night. Trooper pulled me over, he laughed a bit and I got a verbal warning :drinks:

(Probably helped that I worked in Corrections at the time and was still in my state uniform :mrgreen:)

BNE
12-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Sometimes it helps to plead the mercy of the court. I had almost the EXACT same thing happen when I was in college.

Really stunk. BUT, I showed up to court, and was as polite as I could be and basically begged for leniency. If memory serves, they cut the points and $$ owed in half.

Jailer
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I guess MI counties can set their own fines?

That's correct. It all depends on the county your in when you get pulled over.

I don't know how it works in Mi, but you might ask the Judge or ADA or whoever prosecutes the stuff there if there is any way to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation. Here they do that all the time for first offenses. Usually the fine is a little heavier since they are giving you a break, but the points are lower or none.

Doesn't work that way here. All tickets for speeding that I got listed actual speed that I was going to show the break they gave. If you fight it not only will you lose they will bump it up to the actual speed that you were going and impose the higher fine.

As far as the gun goes- jeeze guys, it's not like you've just killed someone and are trying to come up with a tactful way of mentioning it. I've probably stopped 1K people with guns. Usually they say something along the lines of, "Uh.....I don't know if you care, but I've git my pistol with me." Me, "Oh yeah? What kind? Got it on your permit? Okay, well let's not worry about the gun and you can tell me why you were doing 83 in 55....". Really. There's no need to get all nervous and jerky. It just makes you look nervous and jerky. If the state you live in says you need to tell the cop you got it, go ahead. But there's no need to do like my younger brother did one night when I pulled him over- Doofus stops the car, throws the keys out the window and sticks both hands out the window. I had no clue it was him and he didn't know it was me. I walked up, took one look and asked him what the heck he was doing? He says he saw it on Cops and figured that was what you were supposed to do. (Did I mention he's not the smart brother?) I pointed out he looked pretty stupid and his keys were in a mud puddle freezing to the ground. Also told him to fix his tail light and left him looking for his keys....

We don't talk much.

In Michigan when you are detained or pulled over by LEO and are carrying you are required to inform as soon as possible that you are a CPL holder and that you have your weapon on you. If you're not carrying then there is no duty to inform.

DoubleAdobe
12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Any more I get out as soon as I stop, raise my hands,spread my legs, then with my arms spread wide put them on the hood and bloody my nose on the hood, it saves them a lot of work and they go easier on me. lol
I see the DOT guys have finally got you broke to lead, assume the position, driver! haha

MaryB
12-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Minnesota allows for 10mph over the limit when passing.

garandsrus
12-03-2013, 12:23 AM

Freakshow, you are correct. However, the judge and/or officer can change the "charge" to one that doesnt have points. I think an officer i "met" changed a speeding ticket to "failure to yield" or something like that quite a few years ago. The fine was about the same but no points. The judge can do something similar.

I agree that the ticket will commonly show the "actual speed" also. Just tell the judge what happened and that you are willing to pay the fine, but would like to avoid the points to keep your driving record clean. You will probably get a break since you dont have previous tickets.

Love Life
12-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Last time I told a cop I had he gun, he said "So do I."

Bret4207
12-03-2013, 09:26 AM
That's correct. It all depends on the county your in when you get pulled over.

Doesn't work that way here. All tickets for speeding that I got listed actual speed that I was going to show the break they gave. If you fight it not only will you lose they will bump it up to the actual speed that you were going and impose the higher fine.

As I said, I didn't know how it worked there. If that's how it is, then ignore that possibility.

In Michigan when you are detained or pulled over by LEO and are carrying you are required to inform as soon as possible that you are a CPL holder and that you have your weapon on you. If you're not carrying then there is no duty to inform.

I think I pretty well covered that. I don't understand the point of referencing my post?

cbrick
12-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I know a youg lady that got clocked doing 120+MPH in a 20MPH school zone
Not sure just how much her ticket was , but she lost her license for 3 years Not even for work John

120 in town much less a school zone, geez. She should be forbidden from even riding in a vehicle forever much less driving. 3 years no license? How much prison time did she get, I can easily relate that to attempted murder. Shocking but reality is that there are people that stupid.

Rick

uscra112
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
When I were younger I would have fit this scenario. Then God gave me a van with cruise control, and I just set it to speed limit (or 5 over on the big roads) and feel smug about how much gas I'm saving, not to mention engine wear, tires, u-joints.....

Funny thing where I live now, here in S.E. Ohio - the rural limit is 55, but the roads are so twisty it's hard to even get up to that, even on my hot-rodded Honda 500. And I'm a guy with a boxful of trophies from my road-racing days in the '80s.

Adam10mm
12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Just got off the phone with the magistrate when he returned my call. $115 fine and payment is due 30 days from today.

dakotashooter2
12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Where you screwed up is you should have called in the erratic driver. They would have stopped him, you could have made your pass and been on your merry way. Of course you had no way of knowing they were so close............

I usually toss my wallet on the dash and hands on the wheel before the officer gets to the window. Here it's usually at least a minute or two after you have stopped before they finish running your license and get out of their car.

Unfortunatly the passing speed is generally just an arbritrary number someone pulled out of a hat with no real evidence that it is better or worse than a faster or slower speed. In many cases the longer you are beside someone the more dangerous it is justifying a "faster" passing speed.

rockrat
12-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Last time I was stopped, I pulled out my insurance, registration and DL. Rolled down the drivers window and the drivers side rear window and put my hands out the drivers window. When the officer approached, I asked him how I could help him. Think it caught him off-guard.
Bad thing was, it was on my anniversary and my teenage kid was in the car, quietly snickering.

BrassMagnet
12-08-2013, 03:12 PM
It took me about 30 years to learn that driving a few clicks under the speed limit was a lot cheaper.Leave a little early set the cruise and forget about the radar and speed traps.

I believe driving under the speed limit has the potential to create more problems than driving the same amount over the speed limit.
You can be ticketed for either, although it is more likely to be ticketed for over.
You are more likely to be stopped for under the speed limit and eyeballed for possible criminal behavior such as intoxicated, stoned, illegal items, wants and warrants and then let go without a ticket. Many times they will claim failure to stay in your lane or something similar as the reason for the traffic stop while the real reason is suspicion you are too compliant. When driving under the speed limit you also risk road rage and the slower you are going, the more risky it is.
I prefer to set the cruise at exactly the speed limit and I really hate cars that do not regulate the speed well. If I am in a really big hurry, I might set the cruise for 5 mph over the posted limit.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I usually do the speed limit or a couple miles under. I'm not in a rush to get anywhere. If I get tailgated, then I wash my windows until the car backs off. If they start driving dangerously then I slow down more and move off the road when safe to allow them to pass. If they decide to stop with me then whatever happens happens.

jmort
12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
If someone wants to go faster than me, I get out of the way. The roads out in my area are marked with a number of Crosses/memorials.

WILCO
12-08-2013, 04:25 PM
First speeding ticket ever. :(

First speeding ticket I got for myself was on my 1975 Harley-Davidson.
Woke a cop up on a curve, when the drag pipes made him sit up straight.
It took him a while to catch up to me. That was a very expensive afternoon ride.......

MaryB
12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I was crawling home Friday afternoon with my new(used) Ford F150. Only 2wd and roads are ice packed here. I was doing about 45 and some idiot decided he could do 80 around me. I waved at him as I went by a mile down the road, he buried his fancy 4wd SUV up to the bottom of the windows in the snow in the ditch. Cop must have been coming the other way because he was standing there writing the guy a ticket.

starmac
12-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I would be curious what the ticket was for, unless he clocked him before biting the dust??

Sweetpea
12-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Probably driving too fast for current road conditions... Up to the discretion of the officer.

starmac
12-09-2013, 12:31 AM
That is why I mentioned if he seen him before he lost it or not. Here the speed limit is the speed limit, the dot does not close roads unless there is an avalanche or something. They just naturally close when trucks can't push through the drifts with chains on anymore, and very slow vehicles are a traffic hazard. The few that drive 2 wheel, will carry enough weight in the bed to get them around fine. The light gas saving cars are a danger to the traveling public though.

MaryB
12-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Yup "to fast for road conditions" they do it a lot at the beginning of each snow season to make people slow down. He may have clocked him too because I came by a couple minutes later. I haven't added any weight to the back of the truck yet and if I went over 45 the back end liked to start slithering around so conditions were not good, dusk so what had thawed was turning to black ice. Truck I bought has new tires on it with an aggressive snow pattern so that wasn't part of it. I have to get 200 pounds of cat litter back there. If it stays dry I can always use it in the litter box come spring. 2 20+ pound cats so I use a lot.