PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag20 problems????

abunaitoo
12-01-2013, 03:05 AM
I've been using a Lee 4 forever. Never had a problem with it.
I got a deal (I think) on two older Lyman Mag20 pots. $100. Dirty, but in good condition.
I know RCBS ProMelts are good, but how do they compare to the Lyman Mag20?????
What problems should I be looking for with the Lyman's.

PbHurler
12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
The only "problem" I've had with my 30 year old Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour pot (round pot, looks similar to the Saeco's, except thermostat is on the left side) is enough lead stores to keep it running.

Seriously, I've not had any issues with my Lyman. The ONLY thing I've done with mine is to replace the removable power cord, the heat will eventually degrade the "phenolic" plug at the pot connection which in turn will allow a loose connection between the female power cord and the male prongs on the pot.

Ace Hardware carries a 6ft. appliance cord that I use as a replacement, it is part number 30124 and it costs about $7.00.
I've replaced mine maybe 3 times in the 30 years I've had my Lyman, not too bad IMO.

I periodically fully empty mine, blow out the spout with compressed air while the pot is still hot. Wire brush the inside of the pot to rid of any imprurity buildup, clean the needle, reassemble, refill & get after it.

I can't speak about the RCBS. I know they are a darned nice pot, but my Lyman just keeps on going & I don't have the need to buy a replacement, yet.

(With that said, maybe I should get something in reserves for when the inevitable happens):groner:

Good luck with yours,

sagamore-one
12-01-2013, 10:04 AM
My Mag 20 is more prone to "spout freeze" at lower temps than the RCBS ( temps below 750). The Mag20 thermo would un-adjust itself during normal use requiring me to access the tiny screw adjuster located in the middle of the shaft that the thermo knob is mounted on. This happened frequently enough that I drilled an access hole in the knob itself. Lyman factory service sucked on the 3 times I returned it. RCBS has WONDERFUL customer service. I kept the Mag20 as a backup to my RCBS but has not been needed in 12 years.

Fishman
12-01-2013, 10:07 AM
some have complained about the spout freezing but I havent had an issue with mine. Ive been using it for a year or two after buying it from a member here. I do use an external pid controller on it as well. You got a great deal in my opinion.

DavZee
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
My Mag-20 works perfect running with a PID for temp control. Only thing I don't like is the guide for the mold. Some of my molds are larger than will fit in the guides so I have to slide them over the top of the guide and that makes it hard to get good control of the lead flow into the mold.

Dave C.
12-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I bought mine in 1985. If I wear it out I will buy another one.
I use it quite a bit as I shoot Conventional pistol.

Dave C.

Larry Gibson
12-01-2013, 03:40 PM
I've had mine for 20+ years. I've not had the spout freeze up problem either. It did quit working on me at about 12 years and I though the heat element had gone TU. Called Lyman to get a new heat element and they said that probably wasn't really the problem. They requested I send it to them. They found a wire had broke, fixed it and returned at no charge.......what's to complain about?????

I put some #2 alloy in it and ran it up until it held steady at 750 degrees with a good thermometer. I then adjusted the knob so it was set at 7.5. I haven't had a lick of problem since and I cast a lot of bullets with it. I expect it will go TU one of these days but I've certainly got my $s out of the Mag20. Probably will get a Mag25 then.....if I don't just get one sooner........

Larry Gibson

bhn22
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM
My Mag 20 is over 20 yrs old too. I had a run of bad heating elements several years back, and after talking to Lymans Service Dept, they sold me a number of spares. I still have one, but haven't had an issue in ages. The spout on mine has never frozen, and I'm still on my original thermostat.

abunaitoo
12-01-2013, 06:47 PM
I just tested to see if they got hot.
Cleaned out the lead from both of them.
Took the rod and handle off to bead blast after they cool down.
Everything seems to be good to go.
They sure look much better than my old Lee.
What am I going to do with two of them????

VHoward
12-01-2013, 07:34 PM
2 different alloys in 2 different pots.

Fishman
12-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Two types of alloy without having to drain and refill is a great thing. I have pure lead in my old lee 10 lb pot and use it quite a bit too.