PDA

View Full Version : New Safe(RSC) purchase any pictures or options

10mmShooter
11-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey Guys,

After too many years not having one I'm getting a gun safe finally. I've been shopping and looking and calling until Im exhausted. I chose a semi large one the Fort Knox 7241 Titan, upgraded the steel to from 3/8 to 1/2 plate door, and the body from 3/16 to 1/4 plate sides, with fire liner and then an internal 10 gauge liner it priced better starting with Titan rather than building from the Defender line. It will tip the scales just north of 2100 pounds. I considered the Amsec BF 7240 and the Sturdy of similar size, the Sturdy was close in steel content, but I wanted the nice paint too :) Fire ratings on all 3 are unverifiable so it will be what it is . The Amsec does have the better warranty they cover shipping back to Cali. FtKnox doesn't but I should be able to claim the shipping cost back to Utah on my homeowners in the event of fire or breakin. No its not a TL30 although price wise its close, but everything is a comprimise.The cost, steel, fire, weight, looks, extras,location etc. I chose the Midnight Blue with mechanical dial and chrome handles...should look pretty. too bad it will put away in closet so no one can see it :(

I hope I chose well

cbrick
11-30-2013, 07:59 PM
I had the mechanical lock (Sargent & Greenleaf) on my safe for years and it finally quit on me with no way to open the safe. Had to have a safe guy come out & drill it open. He took it apart and said one of the tumbler pins wouldn't drop. Oh well, it is what it is. I had him install the electronic lock to replace the old mechanical one and that was the best move I've made in a long time.

2100 pounds, I hope you have a slab foundation. :mrgreen:

Rick

geargnasher
11-30-2013, 11:30 PM
I've owned cars that didn't weigh that much! My little 600-lb "residential security cabinet" was enough of a pain to move by myself (Egyptian-style). I'm curious, how ARE you going to get it moved inside?

Gear

10mmShooter
11-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Safe riggers, professional safe movers, its going in ground level on the slab. They have special equipment to handle that weight

454PB
12-01-2013, 12:17 AM
When I bought mine many years ago, the guy that sold it to me said to put it in the basement, because if there is a fire, that's where it's gonna end up.

Vinne
12-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Just think of it...2100 and then you load it up with all your goodies. Bolt it to the wall and you got it covered. Just let them try to get into it OR out the house!!

osteodoc08
12-01-2013, 02:53 PM
That is a smart investment. Make sure you put your birth certificate in it so you can claim it on your taxes.

dragon813gt
12-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I've been going back and forth for close to two years on what to buy. Pretty much decided on a Snap safe. If I was going to get a real safe, as in not a RSC. It would have to go in my garage. Not conditioned and w/ a commercial size garage door and plenty of tools close by to open it. Makes for a less than ideal location. 114yo house w/ narrow stairs makes it impossible to get one in my basement. And I would have to beef up the joists to support one on the first floor. None of the RSCs fair that well in a fire so one I can carry into my basement in pieces is my best option.

I really wish there were legit ratings for them. Drywall is not the greatest insulator and I have my doubts as to the ratings they tell you.

10mmShooter
12-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Agreed Dragon

the fire ratings are **** on all no way to know since there is no standard. But the weight and steel was something I could control, this will just make it that much harder for the bad guys to run off with it. Makes them have to attack the safe and make noise and fumes so hopefully it will be a deterant.sp

crawfobj
12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I think you chose very well. My thinking here is to get the best you can afford. It doesn't take long to add up to the cost of the safe with the loss of a few of the items stored inside.

cbrick
12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
this will just make it that much harder for the bad guys to run off with it.

Run off with 2100 pound safe? :shock: Well, if anyone does DO NOT argue with them. In fact, hold the door open for them and call them Sir or whatever they may prefer to be called. :mrgreen:

Rick

mpmarty
12-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Ever see the video of two guys breaking into a gun "safe"?

HangFireW8
12-02-2013, 02:04 AM

No, but I'm sure it can be done.

A safe is good for one robbery. If they come back "equipped" they'll get what they want.

However the vast majority of robberies are not "pros", they are local crackheads looking for stuff to pawn quickly. They are more than happy to supply their drug dealers with your guns in return for more drugs. Most any safe is sufficient for this threat level.

More dangerous are "handymen", day laborers, that accompany contractors you hire to work on or around your house. They have access to tools and are used to moving heavy stuff. A light or medium safe unsecured is easy work for them. Bolting a heavy safe down to a slab will probably force a return trip.

A real "Pro" will get what they want on the first visit. To even attract this thread level requires a certain level of wealth not commonly found on this discussion board (sorry, Guys). If you really do have this quantity of stored wealth in your home to attract a Pro, that would also warrant a camera security system, live monitoring, armed guards, etc.

In addition some readers may live in California, where gun owners are liable and required by law to secure their guns according to state standards.

Purchase what makes sense for the anticipated threat level and the value of what you have to protect. If it survives one break-in, upgrade immediately or move your stuff elsewhere.

dragon813gt
12-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Which one? There are a plethora of them on YouTube. It takes little time to break into most "safes". But their primary purpose is as a deterrent in smash and grabs. If you want real protection you have to step into a TL rated safe. Your looking at companies like Amsec and Graffunder along with a host of companies that make bank and jewelry store vaults at this level.

timtonya
12-03-2013, 03:16 AM
I shopped and shopped. Finally bought the winchester that the local tsc store sold. It weighs about 500# and had the electronic lock. I've been happy with it.

jonp
12-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I wanted a liberty but could not afford it so bought a winchester and bolted it in.
Most robberies here are also smash and grabs. Not interested in the time it would take to get into any safe

smokeywolf
12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Moving a 2,000 lb safe is not much different than moving a Bridgeport mill or a 17 x 40 engine lathe; done that several times. It can be done with 2, better with 3 guys, a come-along, some nylon webbing, chunks of 2x4, a johnson bar and a set of mice. If you don't have to deal with much more than a short step (like a lift gate), it's not a big deal.

smokeywolf

fourarmed
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM
The Zanotti modular safes are always worth a look. They take down into six parts: top, bottom, back, sides, and door. They can be put places no other safes can go, and from which they can't be removed without disassembly. And they are easier to move by one or two people.

lightman
12-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I've been happy with my Ft Knox. I'm sure you will be too! Thats heavy enough to make them work to get into it or to move it. It can be done, but most thieves will not have the equipment to deal with that weight, or the time to get into it. Lightman

snuffy
12-04-2013, 03:13 AM
I got this one at the local fleet farm sporting goods department. Combo lock with big heavy bolts.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/general/websize/pid-heater-luber%20008_3.jpg

Okay, I know it's not much to stop a pro crook, it's not even bolted down. It only took two guys to slide it in here, I doubt it even weighs 300#. As said, it's just to stop the smash & grab criminal.

I'm retired, so I'm home most of the time. Crime isn't rampant around here, so I figure I have enough security. It wasn't all that expensive, I know what I have is minimal at best.

I took that pic in answer to those limp wristed "interior decorators" idea of what a home should look like. That's my idea of interior decorating!:drinks::Fire::mrgreen:

Oreo
12-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Check Craigslist for used TL rated safes. There are deals to be had. But be aware that TL rated safes are much heavier then residential security safes.