PDA

View Full Version : 444 Handi buck in NC

OBXPilgrim
11-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Finally found some luck during the first week of our gun season here in NC. This 6 point came along following a couple small does. Thanks to a 290gr .432 group buy boolit (285 WFNGC), this one is going to provide some great venison for the kitchen.

I was in the local Dick's Sporting Goods the other day & saw .444 Marlin factory ammo at $39.99 for 20 rounds. I'm not sure how much I have in these CB handloads, but I could make a bunch for $39.99.

For those interested, the load was enough H4895 to push the slug to 1800fps. This is the 2nd deer to fall to this rifle (H&R Handi). And yes I do like the Tamer stock, with thick heavy clothes, it's got the perfect length of pull for me. In warmer times, a slip-on recoil pad helps.

Djones
11-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Nice deer! He looks tasty.

OBXPilgrim
11-30-2013, 09:18 AM
This was in Yancey county, north of highway 19.

richhodg66
11-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Nice deer and interesting rifle.

I've always had the itch for a .444, do the Handis have the same kind of Micro groove barrels the Marlins do? DO they have a twist that will handle really heavy bullets? I've heard that was a problem for the earlier Marlins. Right now there's a nice one in a LGS I've been thinking about.

TheGrimReaper
11-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Awsome!!!

OBXPilgrim
11-30-2013, 07:42 PM
The Handi's do have somewhat of the microgroove rifling, but it's at a 1 in 20 twist. I'd have up to 310gr, but it didn't seat in the case where it needed to be - the 290 just fit better. I know of some that have tested up to 350.

Blammer
11-30-2013, 07:45 PM
howdy OBX, glad you're having better luck than me. So far I've got Zero for the year.

OBXPilgrim
12-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Well, I'll tell you what, that was the same boat I'd been in till that morning. Then I had deer all around me. They work well enough to make it you go to gun, or a good backup or loaner. Just make the first shot count.

Funny thing about the 444 handi, local dicks sporting goods had a big sale a couple weeks ago, all the handi's were $199. I already had one, but was very tempted to go get another.

missionary5155
12-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Good morning and Congradulations !
Good looking buck. Looks like you were in the right place. Thanks for the write up and good photo.
Always a joy when your 25 cent reload does as well and maybe better than what a $2 factory cartrdge might do. Yep it brings smiles to my face thinking we can shoot any caliber there is with just a little bit of well applied time.
Mike in Peru

taco650
12-01-2013, 05:47 PM
I've thought about getting a Handi. I was thinking more of a 45-70 or 500S&W just because the brass seems to be more available than 444. You're right about stock length too. I often forget that what fits nice in summer at the bench won't work in winter in the field because of all the clothing.

Can you give more details on the shot: how long and where did you connect on the deer, etc?

Catsmith
12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Nice buck and with a handi to boot. I also love the shorter stocks myself.

OBXPilgrim
12-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I've thought about getting a Handi. I was thinking more of a 45-70 or 500S&W just because the brass seems to be more available than 444. You're right about stock length too. I often forget that what fits nice in summer at the bench won't work in winter in the field because of all the clothing.

Can you give more details on the shot: how long and where did you connect on the deer, etc?

I've seen 444 brass at the LGS for $81 for a 100. I've got a hundred & don't really want to spring for more just yet. Due to a question someone asked here, I tried to expand .30-06 brass out to .44 cal to duplicate a 'rimless' .444 brass just for my Handi. It didn't work out very good, but I think I might have to try again with a little smaller increments in expansion of the neck.

Shot was about 40 yards through some light brush. My brother went back to the same stand the next day & said he couldn't believe I got a slug through there - standing in the stand & shooting left hand, there was actually a fairly clear 'window' he may not have noticed. You can see the exit wound on the right hand side of the deer - it was about 50 cal. The entrance was high on the left front shoulder, which really didn't make much sense to me since the deer was pretty much broadside to me. It must have clipped some brush, but then the slug would have made about a 30°-45° turn while inside the deer to exit at that location. It took out a pretty good chunk of spine & of course dropped in it's tracks. Very little bloodshot meat by the way. I think the deer may have turned towards me just as I shot - it would at least explain the entrance/exit a little better.

The bad part of it all was I was trying to get my little brother (part owner of the property) to come hunting with us & bring his 12 year old son. We have 2 double wide ladder stands on the property & this was one of them. To see this deer fall to my nephew as his first would have been even better.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

taco650
12-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I've seen 444 brass at the LGS for $81 for a 100. I've got a hundred & don't really want to spring for more just yet. Due to a question someone asked here, I tried to expand .30-06 brass out to .44 cal to duplicate a 'rimless' .444 brass just for my Handi. It didn't work out very good, but I think I might have to try again with a little smaller increments in expansion of the neck.

I didn't think that would work but the base diameters are similar. Might be easier to accomplish if you could start with some 35 Whelen. Anneal between expanding's to keep the brass workable.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Nice deer! I have a 357 Mag Handi I would like to use one of these days. It might even get reamed to 357 max if I can get my hands on some max brass.

OBXPilgrim
12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I've got another Handi & it's a 7.62x39/357 Max/22 Hornet combo & I've killed a couple deer with the Max barrel (& the 7.62x39 barrel for that matter). It's a good one also. I've been very slow with load development with the 357max, but the few I've tried were pretty decent.