PDA

View Full Version : Perfect bullet storage boxes.

JeffinNZ
11-19-2007, 04:06 AM
Well I don't own a .17 HMR. Dinky round and sorta the Hornet of the new millennium but altogether too 'off the shelf' for me.

I am very grateful others do though and leave their empty plastic ammo boxes at the range as they hold 50 x .30 cal projectiles perfectly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0046.jpg

Buckshot
11-19-2007, 04:49 AM
http://www.fototime.com/902DB7735B7472A/standard.jpg

Yup, as there to the right of the press :-) First thing I do when I hit the range is go upside down into the trash cans behind the line.

..............Buckshot

OldBob
11-19-2007, 05:18 AM
We are all cut from the same cloth :-D:-D The plastic .40 S&W cartridge box liners make excellent case holder blocks for rounds w/ a .308 base diameter....... I keep several at my bench. I try think of it not as dumpster diving, but rather as helping Al Gore save the world ...:mrgreen:

Bass Ackward
11-19-2007, 07:27 AM
I try think of it not as dumpster diving, but rather as helping Al Gore save the world ...:mrgreen:

Coffee went up my nose with THAT one. :grin:

1Shirt
11-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Not being willing to have any association with the thoughts of Al Gore, will accept the title of "Diver"! Like all the little plastic boxes, particularly the CCI's. They hold blts nice and neat. Really look good full of cast HP's. Then there is also the brass I pick out of the barrels, and sometimes the splat and see targets with only two or three holes in them that easily cover with pasters. I am not cheap, (at least in my own mind), but consider myself furgal (sounds better). There are also the odities that I find like the 20 300Win. cases neatly stuck back in the box that had been fired in a 300 Weatherby.
1Shirt!:coffee::coffee:

VTDW
11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Coffee went up my nose with THAT one. :grin:

+1:-D

AlGore invented those plastic ammo boxed don't you know.

Dave

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm a card carrying dumpster diver myself...

felix
11-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Well, you guys just are not going deep enough into the right barrels. About a couple of years ago, the Wendy's hamburger Corp had made/bought cups that could be redeemed into airline tickets. My retired million dollar buddy having lots of playful spirit, dumstered all over town each "working" night for about six months total. Threw the bagged paper goods into his pickup, went home and sorted it, and then returned the junk to the most empty dumpster. In total, he got over 10 airline tickets worth that I know about. These tickets were unlimited coach miles as far as I know. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
True confessions: I still shoot a significant number of jacketed bullets. Every Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra bullet or GC box is hoarded to store rifle boolits, pending sorting, lubing, and loading. Cast pistol boolits go into sturdy homemade wooden boxes, for two reasons; .38s and fatter stand up easily, and I use more pistol boolits. The pistol boolit boxes are only 6" X 6" X 3" because any larger gets too heavy to pick up when full. 800+ H&G 68s make a load and a half! Speer bullet boxes? They are plastic and not as handy to load and unload as the traditional cardboard boxes, but great for small parts.

armoredman
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I am so cheap, and so low production - I have a stack of Gladware bluetop plastic boxes for boolits. i can't keep fresh boolits in the boxes, they keep getting loaded, so boxes tend to have no more than 50-100 boolits inside, hold up very well.

Blammer
11-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I've got such a colloge of boolit boxes it's not funny. WHAT is mildly humourus is when I go to load some 'J' word bullets and grab the box labled 150 gr 308 Hornady's and open it up to discover 7mm cast bullets, then realize I'm out of those 'j' words....

S.R.Custom
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a big cardboard moving box full of old pistol ammo boxes, rifle cartridge boxes, cube boxes from when I bought commercial cast bullets, bullet boxes... all kinds of containers. And they're just laying around in my way. (Anymore, I pretty much just collate stuff by zip-lock, and stuff 'em in .50 caliber ammo boxes.) If anyone wants all these cute little boxes, lemme know, and you can have 'em for the cost of shipping...

Blammer
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
ooooooooo, post a pic of what ya got!

cohutt
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
The plastic 100 round MTM 45acp are perfect for holding lubed 440g 45-70s.

Also, an old Habana Romeo Y Julieta cigar box holds a bunch of same, just enough clearance to shut the top:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/Bulletlab010.jpg

trooperdan
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I've always said most of us reloaders can easily be spotted on the range.. but NOT easily identified, like in a line-up!

You see, one of 'us' is always walking looking down at the ground, watching for the elusive wild brass case! The only time his eyes leave the ground is when he steps on a rock on the way to the target; then he'll leap into the air like a cat 'cause he thought he'd stepped on a case!

And when he is back on the line, he is most likely butt up in the air, buried head-first in a trash barrel or snuggled up to the stock of his favorite long gun!

We are the original recyclers!

Saint
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Even though hodgdons says this is a no no. I use a BP neutralizer on my old pyrodex pellet boxes and they work great for holding sabot rounds. I guess it is being cheap that makes most of us join a site like this.

Frank46
11-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Well I don't own a .17 HMR. Dinky round and sorta the Hornet of the new millennium but altogether too 'off the shelf' for me.

I am very grateful others do though and leave their empty plastic ammo boxes at the range as they hold 50 x .30 cal projectiles perfectly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0046.jpg

Dumpster divers of the world unite!!!!!!!!!!
Have spent my fair share of time fighting off yellow jackets and such searching for the blackpowder boxes that holds the 50gr charges, 30-30, 308, 30-06 and peestol brass. Kinda funny what some folks throw away ain't it??. Frank

HORNET
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Will you guys quit posting this!!! That dang Buckshot posted pictures like this a while back and I had a heck of a time trying to find more empty boxes for a long time. Even the regular plastic .22 boxes that work well for those little critters that I usually cast.

LET-CA
11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I purchased fifty heavy cardboard boxes that are about 4 inches on a side. I really like them because they stack well and each comfortably hold 100+ bullets. I label them with Sharpie pen. They're very durable and only cost about 50 cents each in bulk. They'll last me for years. Since they're all the same size I can stack all my bullets easily. I like having them all the same dimensions for storage.

:castmine:

Blammer
11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
jeffnz-do you moly coat your boolits? and lube them? or what?

JeffinNZ
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
BLAMMER - just lube. They look dark due to the flash.

eaglefacts
11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
SuperMag, i have sent you a PM

doc25
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I usually keep my cast in a little brass case that leaves the tip exposed. It is readily disposed of by inserting into an appropriate chambered firearm and pushing the "GO" button. I find the Hodgon pyrodex pellet ones good for my .357 shotshells.

454PB
11-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I've used about everything previously mentioned, but my favorite is empty check boxes. They are becoming extinct now with everybody using debit and credit cards, but they are great for storing lubed boolits. For the shorter boolits, I use a cardboard separator and lay in two layers. I've resorted to using the plastic food storage boxes recently, check boxes are not only scarce, but are a lot more flimsy that the ones I have from 20 years ago.

Goatlips
11-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Fortunately for me I'm a Cowboy Action shooter :Fire: and I just dump mine in plastic deli containers without worrying about dents or anything else. I measure them by the quart, not by the count. If I could see far enough to do some really good shooting, I might try the pristine boolit routine. :castmine:

Goatlips

Powderpacker
11-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Has anyone found a use for those flat plastic "ammo carriers" that a lot of factory ammo is packed in? I have rescued a couple dozen of those from the range trash barrels over the years . Fastened to the wall over a workbench they make a decent rack for small screw drivers and similiar sized tools. One carrier holds ten tools so a couple of carriers take care of all the tools I have of that size . That leaves me with a bunch of carriers that I can't find a use for but are way too good to throw away. Any clever ideas ?

11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Powderpacker, Your post makes me think they may hold all my Lee powder dippers. Cool.

Topper
11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
These are what I use.
No need to open them to see what's there plus a tight seal to keep dust out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/PB210003.jpg

Ricochet
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Be careful to keep clear plastic containers of loaded ammo out of the sun. I've found ammo can get dangerously hot (and generate excessive pressures) after a few minutes in the sun on a bench in a clear box, even though the ambient air is cool.

Ken O
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Once loaded they go into appropiate ammo boxes. But... after casting bullets any container I can find, the three pound potato salad catainers work real good for the larger quantities. My storage area is a mess, but I seem to find what I need.

http://my.core.com/~keno/castboolits.JPG

Buckshot
11-23-2007, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE=Powderpacker;248285]Has anyone found a use for those flat plastic "ammo carriers" that a lot of factory ammo is packed in? I have rescued a couple dozen of those from the range trash barrels over the years . QUOTE]

.......................Like this?:

http://www.fototime.com/4C9F502AC298773/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/F5B2831828DBFE3/standard.jpg

.................Buckshot

Powderpacker
11-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Buckshot-
Guess I didn't describe the 'carriers' very well. They are made of a slightly flexy plastic, hold 10 rifle rounds and have a slot on each end , apparently to slip a belt through . They probably average 2 1/2" wide and 6" long. Thickness varies depending on caliber . Two of them are used to pack the ammo in a 20 round box. I should just post a picture but my success rate with picture posting is not good - yet.

725 - I like your idea . One for my reloading bench, one for my range reloading box.

BudRow
11-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I use the clear plastic peanut butter or mayonnaise jars for the newly cast. They're easy to see what's in them, however their cylindrical shape does not lend themselves for compact storage. A business sized card with the info on it is tucked against the inside and held there by the boolits.

Buckshot
11-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Buckshot-
Guess I didn't describe the 'carriers' very well. They are made of a slightly flexy plastic, hold 10 rifle rounds and have a slot on each end , apparently to slip a belt through . They probably average 2 1/2" wide and 6" long. Thickness varies depending on caliber . Two of them are used to pack the ammo in a 20 round box. I should just post a picture but my success rate with picture posting is not good - yet.

725 - I like your idea . One for my reloading bench, one for my range reloading box.

...........Those ammo carriers first appeared with Federal ammo I think it was. Supposed to be 'Belt carriers' so you could have it handy. I think a another maker copied the idea, but the originals came out many moons ago.

..............Buckshot