PDA

View Full Version : Some one's history left behind ...

Digger
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
A friend called and said he came across some brass and odds and ends , wants to give them to me since I am the only person that he knows that reloads ...
Came home with a box of stuff and started to go thru ......somebody's left overs.
While there he showed me a few of the items and the most interesting .. awards for sharpshooting !
About a dozen medals and various pins for sharpshooting in different events along with a couple of elaborate inlaid pocket watches , at this time he doesn't know what to do with them as he was just an acquaintance.
Talking with him , he stated they were from a person that had passed away not to long ago and the only relative was his sister who wound up almost giving away his guns and equipment.
Looking in the box , it was easy to tell he was an accomplished marksman and did his own reloading and this was all that was left ...
one of the items was a large copper bowl that is full of odds and ends ,, typical that would be in your own man cave .. just for the odd ball things one would toss in .
In it , I found three shoulder patches , event patches and a dog tag ....
If it was his ... he was in the Marines ..... ... Some one's history left behind.
I have taken pics of some of the items ... and one of the dog tag but don't think it would be appropriate to display , please correct me if I am wrong here.
I wish I had known of the individual and his history.

In the box are baggies of various brass , some .308 which works out good for me and some beautiful 30.06 shells , a coffee can full !
Three cloth field bandoliers for Garand ammo with ten card board inserts and a dozen M-1 clips.
Funny that I am currently shooting a .308 Garand at the moment ...
a small can of pulled bullets that I will have to weigh and measure ... and a box of cast swc ,200gr.
By the way ,... any one want a book on how to run a lathe ? ... if you look closer you will see it ..
The other tell is ...looking at the top pic ... can you see the Targets to the side ? ..
they are the center black only , all cut out of full size targets , a good stack of them .
If that is all he used for targets at range , I would say he was concentrating on accuracy ..

boltaction308
11-29-2013, 05:27 PM
That will be all of us one day, specially those of us that dont have kids. I know for me I would want my stuff to go to a good home, it sounds like it has. You might take the dog tag and other awards and make a plaque and give it back to the relative.

Cherokee
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Gives you an idea of how you will be remembered outside your children, sister didn't seem to care.

prs
11-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Yup. May I die pennyless and out of ammunition.

prs

Green Frog
11-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Digger, I have an interest in old machine tools and literature about them. What do you want for the lathe booklet?

Froggie

samwithacolt
11-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Awesome, makes you think.
I moved to Canada from Northern Ireland 5 yrs ago. I took a bath on the housing/construction market in the UK, so I ended up buying a fixer upper house 3 yrs ago. When we viewed the house, I saw two benches in the basement and thought "those would be perfect for reloading"
Turns out the late former owner was originally from Belfast, brought those benches into the basement 30 yrs earlier and had his loading set up on them! I have even found .311 boolits and gas checks in the cracks and under the drywall(unfinished basement).
I often think of him as I load, I don't think any of his kids shoot. I know he shot the TV once with a shotgun, that might have turned them off shooting sports a bit. We found some birdshot in the drywall in the basement before I heard the tv shooting story, so it makes sense.
I have one 2 yr old son, and I hope and pray that he shares my love of all things gun related.
The thought of my wife giving away my life in cardboard boxes to strangers is deppressing.

Digger
11-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Digger, I have an interest in old machine tools and literature about them. What do you want for the lathe booklet?

Froggie

Think I would just like to pass it on to someone who would appreciate it ...
pm me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
......somebody's left overs.
While there he showed me a few of the items and the most interesting .. awards for sharpshooting !
About a dozen medals and various pins for sharpshooting in different events along with a couple of elaborate inlaid pocket watches , at this time he doesn't know what to do with them as he was just an acquaintance.
the box , it was easy to tell he was an accomplished marksman
I found three shoulder patches , event patches and a dog tag ....
If it was his ... he was in the Marines
I wish I had known of the individual and his history.

It appears any family isn't interested, So what I'd do, If you were able to easily find out what county and State he was originally from...or where he lived mostly after he left the service...I would try to contact that county's historical society, if they have one, and maybe donate those items to them.

The county I live in has a historical society and Museum. Things like that can make an interesting display.

Scharfschuetze
11-29-2013, 09:55 PM
With all the M-1 Garand clips and FMJ bullets, he must have been a Hi-Power shooter. Post a shot of the awards and either boltaction308, myself or other service rifle shooters may be able to tell you what they were for. With that info ,if they are DCM awards, you might be able to check with the admin office of the CMP and see when and where he was active.

osteodoc08
11-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Out of my three boys and one daughter, I hope that one of them will carry on with my love for firearms, reloading, shooting, etc. it really is sad that it all boils down to an old "box of stuff" that gets passed along. Sad indeed.

Digger
11-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Did not want to miss lead anyone here .... all the awards appear to be civilian from what I could see and maybe I should have stated that earlier for clarification , I apologize for that.
Maybe will stop by my friends house and take a closer look at them when I have the chance.

dikman
11-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Boltaction, just because one has kids doesn't mean that they will be interested in the things you accumulate through the years. (One of my daughters is hinting that she wouldn't mind one of my motorbikes. I suppose that's something).

That lathe book is actually very good. I have one, along with several other books on metalworking, that I got from the estate of a very dear friend (along with his very old lathe). For a DIY'er who uses a lathe it's an excellent resource.

dverna
11-30-2013, 12:11 AM
The man was good enough to win some trinkets, and he had fun, and made good friends. At least that has been my experience with competitive shooting.

I suppose it is sad that he had no one to pass the passion to - but that happens. I have one son who is into shooting but not nearly as nuts as I am. I am sure most of my toys and equipment will get sold off. The other boy is mentally retarded (Yep, I know that is not PC - but it is what it is) so he cannot make use of my stuff when I am gone.

All the more reason to spend as much time as I can shooting with them and friends while I can. There are no "do overs".

Don Verna

SawmillJack
11-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Yup. May I die pennyless and out of ammunition.

prs

Well if O'Bummer has his way, you will do that very thing my friend.

elk hunter
11-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Why not put the book "How to Run a Lathe" up for auction and donate the proceeds to this site?

Digger
11-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Why not put the book "How to Run a Lathe" up for auction and donate the proceeds to this site?
Excellent suggestion there Elk hunter ...... if I do not get a response from Green Frog will probably do just that
Seeing as how I left him the opportunity first ....if he does , maybe another item has come to mind now that you have put forth the idea.
thanks
digger

bruce381
11-30-2013, 03:40 PM
put pictures and some of the boolits and dog tags targets etc into a glass picture frame hang on youy gun wall and have a nice bourbon toast to a fellow loader, vet ,time to remember when kinda thing

osteodoc08
11-30-2013, 03:52 PM
put pictures and some of the boolits and dog tags targets etc into a glass picture frame hang on youy gun wall and have a nice bourbon toast to a fellow loader, vet ,time to remember when kinda thing

A very honorable idea. I agree with this.

wch
12-01-2013, 06:54 AM
My motto: "Make the best of it while you live and pay no mind as to what the rest of them think of you after you're gone."

Finster101
12-01-2013, 07:37 AM
While this is a very sad story, we don't know if the man had any kids. I bring this up because an older friend of mine recently passed away. He was 78 and when I was a kid he was more like a second father. He and his wife divorced when I was young, they had no kids and he never remarried. He did not have much of a will, just one basically leaving everything to his sister. She is in her mid to late 70s as well and lives about 200 miles away with her mentally handicapped son. My friend's (The Old Man) intent was to help provide for her son when she is gone. She is not capable of handling the estate, fortunately her daughter lives closer and can do it. The process can be overwhelming even when the papers are in very good order, his were not. Just a generic fill in the blanks will. Everything has to be appraised and sold. I am trying to buy a couple of his guns as that's all that I can afford. The two I want are one's that I remember him shooting when I was a kid, I want them just because they are his. The old man gave me his reloading gear a few years ago when his eyesight got to the point where he could not really shoot. I loaded him a bunch of shot shells for snakes as that is about all he used and they are quite pricey to buy. We don't know all the story. Hopefully someone loves and misses him the way I do the Old Man.

James

osteodoc08
12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I was given a Remington TargetMaster Model 41 single shot 22lr by a neighbor of mine before he moved for retirement. It was in his family since new, he had no use for it and his daughter would just sell it. He knew I was a "gun guy" and I had helped him out after hurricanes the previous year. It now sits back in my gun safe with a fine patina on it. I keep it wiped down and pull it out for back yard fun. The 28" barrel is near silent with shorts.

Hang Fire
12-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Out of my three boys and one daughter, I hope that one of them will carry on with my love for firearms, reloading, shooting, etc. it really is sad that it all boils down to an old "box of stuff" that gets passed along. Sad indeed.

Over the last few years we have given several thousand dollars worth of firearms to our youngest daughter and son-in-law. They and the grandkids are all avid shooters and the son-in-law never gets rid of any gun he comes into possession of.

Wife and I still have several antique firearms worth considerable money and she treats them as a 401-k. She has determined if I go first, they will be sold right away, so the kids may be SOL so far as getting those.

Digger
12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
want to thank everyone here for their input so far ... will do a little detective work down the road here.
It's rather interesting reading of everyone's own situation as time goes on ....

TheGrimReaper
12-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I am afraid that will be me one day. I have no children, but I am grooming a nephew!

gkainz
12-02-2013, 06:38 PM
"I hope that after I die, my wife does NOT sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." lol - kidding.

TCLouis
12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
We never know what will happen and when.

Coworker collapsed at work recently, likely dead when he arrived at the hospital, plug pulled at the end of that week.
Typed and signed will (two different copies) no witness (bad news in TN unless 100% handwritten).
No know relatives except for mother in Nursing home with dementia.

Several (all those mentioned in the will ) got together and collected edged items, guns, ammo and cataloged it.

One of them told me today there were 1100 rounds of 454 casul

Oh and throw in a bankruptcy in the mix.

Glad I am purely an observer on the sidelines.

Why do I mention this here . . .he was only 55 and a lot of us surpass that age.

waksupi
12-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Talking to one of my old school mates last week, he told me the guy he had worked with for the past couple decades had died, with no family. The deceased left him a condo in Mexico, a 26' fishing boat, and newer pickup, and investments that are paying out $4000 per month. Be nice to people, they maybe nice to you!

s1120
12-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Ive been tossing this around a bit latly myself. Wile im not that old... Im getting there. Knocking on 50. I got all of dads firearm stuff when he passed on, and treasure them because of that. Well I still have young children, and they are girls. Still too soon to see if they will have any interest. niece and nephews that have no interest, or would sell them. I have a step brouther that in into firearms... but hes older them me.. So at this time... I don't know what I would do. If they were going to be sold, I would rather my wife do it, then to give it to other family just to have them do it. Till then I will just enjoy them.

marvelshooter
12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I have several old guns that were my Dad's that I treasure. I have two sons with only a passing interest in guns and shooting. I hope when the time comes they will not sell the whole mess for what ever it will bring.

Digger
06-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Apologize for the time delay ...

Above my bench .

knfmn
06-29-2015, 10:24 PM
We never know what will happen and when.

Why do I mention this here . . .he was only 55 and a lot of us surpass that age.

Very true words. We buried my brother last fall. He wasn't feeling well, went to a walk-in clinic, sent to the emergency room and died of a heart attack the next day at age 51.

I worry sometimes what will happen to my stuff when I'm gone. I'm 39 and the wife and I have been trying to have kids for several years with no luck. I don't have a million dollars in guns and shooting accessories, but I have some guns with some great stories and memories behind them and hope that I will be able to leave them to someone who appreciates them and will listen to the stories behind them one day.

Blackwater
06-29-2015, 10:42 PM
I've actually had my eyes tear up when just dealing with relatives that obviously didn't appreciate their loved one's shooting stuff and memorabelia. Few today appreciate real skill with a gun, but we may be on our way to a good lesson in it? I hope not, but .... it's never been impossible and HAS happened before.

blackthorn
06-30-2015, 01:00 PM
knfmn---Have you and your wife considered adopting? I ask because 76 years ago my folks did and I got the best deal ever! Further, I know one couple who tried and tried to have a child. They adopted a baby boy and then she got pregnant. I believe they went on to have two or three more of their own after that.

Green Frog
06-30-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm a 66 year old bachelor, but I figure my guns at least will all go to good homes. When I mentioned to my youngest niece (21 at the time) that a gun she was shooting that day would go to her when I passed on, she made my day by saying, "Uncle Charlie, a lot of people are going to want your guns when you die!" I don't think they'll just get sent to a yard sale! :mrgreen:

Digger, I never heard anything from you about the lathe book????

Froggie

Harter66
06-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Thank goodness I'm an only child I have out lived the vultures in my life and mom and dad just add me to all the deeds and titles.

I bought a place, Our 1st house ,X1 and I, the family had taken the boat ,a pickup, and the 57 T Bird along with the electronics and the clothes out of the closet.
When we took possession the meds were in the bathroom, family pictures on the walls and photo albums on the coffee table. I half expected to find a box of ashes . His Pacific war trinkets and uniform and all sorts of life event odds and ends in a cedar chest.

Fortunately my kids have a little bit of interest in my stuff and are almost as sentimental as I am.

That is a neat frame and display. A suitable tribute to a man none have known.

Geezer in NH
06-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Very true words. We buried my brother last fall. He wasn't feeling well, went to a walk-in clinic, sent to the emergency room and died of a heart attack the next day at age 51.

I worry sometimes what will happen to my stuff when I'm gone. I'm 39 and the wife and I have been trying to have kids for several years with no luck. I don't have a million dollars in guns and shooting accessories, but I have some guns with some great stories and memories behind them and hope that I will be able to leave them to someone who appreciates them and will listen to the stories behind them one day.Trust me adopted in 3 months you be in bliss.

jaysouth
06-30-2015, 11:34 PM
I had a friend, now deceased, who bought estate guns. He told me of more than once, a widow demanding that the guns be removed from the house before the funeral.

Have a plan of succession. I have tagged each gun with the name of the donee upon my death. This is recorded and my lawyer has a copy. You never know who your friends are when you are gone.

knfmn
07-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Trust me adopted in 3 months you be in bliss.
That's absolutely on the table here. I think adoption is a very selfless act.

TenTea
07-01-2015, 06:56 AM
I'm saying it again:

We are all just caretakers of history and the duty will soon fall to the next...

And, in the immortal words of Warren Zevon:

Enjoy every sandwich.

762 shooter
07-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Enjoy every sandwich.

++++1