PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore 12ga target rifle?

Mayor
11-19-2007, 01:03 AM
OK here is my project:

Old Remington side lever single shot (Nitro proofed bbl)
Lyman target 17A sight on dovetailed ramp for a front sight.
Mid range hunters staff mounted on metal rear tang.

My idea is to shoot roundball cartidges made up of 12 ga brass cases loaded with whatever charge of Holy Black is deemed appropriate. With wad column built out of the necessary wad materials and SPG lube to position the Round ball so that I can crimp the case just over the ogive.

Here's my concern:

The bbl (no choke constriction) measures .7275 my round ball of choice (for fit in the brass magtech cases) measures .735. I am looking at 9.5 thousandths of interference (although only at the ogive which is a very small area). What do you think? Will it unwrap:(

ovendoctor
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
first thing I would do is slug the bore

I know it sounds stupid but if ya cant get it threw by hand then you need to down size the RB

9.5 tho. does not sound like much but think of dolly and the 5lb b--b in a 4 lb braw
things tend to run over LOL:mrgreen:

Mayor
11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
first thing I would do is slug the bore

I know it sounds stupid but if ya cant get it threw by hand then you need to down size the RB

9.5 tho. does not sound like much but think of dolly and the 5lb b--b in a 4 lb braw
things tend to run over LOL:mrgreen:

doc
In my 20 some odd years of gunsmithing I have never been told to slug a shotgun bbl that I was able to measure:???:

I can drive this round ball "threw" but I doubt that will give me any sort of semblance of a pressure reading[smilie=1:

I really like your "braw" analogy tho.....might not need my ****** tonight!:-D

ovendoctor
11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
It's like loading a lyman 321 297 in a 30 06[321 slug threw a 308-311 bore]

if ya can push the ball threw by hand with a piece of dowel rod [with out using a hammer] then it should be safe

I load the lyman 525 gr slug for 12 ga

and yes I shove them threw the barrel of a new gun to check resistance

the petals for shot cups vary in thickness by as much as 2 tho so I adjust loads to fit

with the plastic it gives me a little leeway for clearance slug to bore

running 9.5 over is a little scarry to me,a lot of stuff can happen real quick

like pressure curve,its gotta go some were [fowards,backwards,sideways]

hope this helps:drinks: