PDA

View Full Version : Best common die set

dek
11-28-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm loading for an S&W 625, Glock 21, Colt 1911A1, S&W 25-5, Ruger Vaquero all in .45. What would be the best die set to handle all of the above shooting .45 Schofield, .45 LC, .45 Auto Rim and .45 ACP? I would prefer one die set rather than several and then adjust for each variation. Would an RCBS .45 Schofield Cowboy die set function for all but the LC just changing the shell holder for each different case? Same with .44 for Spl, Mag and Russian? Thanks, Dennis

MtGun44
11-29-2013, 02:20 AM
not sure it is possible. I have a separate die set for .45 Colt and for .45 ACP/Auto Rim.

As far as brand, I think Hornady's new dies with the floating boolit seating sleeve are
superior to most ordinary die sets.

Bill

375supermag
11-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi...

Not sure if that is even possible.
I always buy a die set for each caliber. I also buy separate seating dies for each bullet weight/style that I shoot in a given caliber.
For instance, I have separate seating dies in .357Mag for 125gr LSWC,158gr LSWC, 125gr HornadyHP/XTP, 158gr Hornady HP/XTP and 180gr Hornady HP/XTP. Much less fiddling around that way and I can reload whatever style bullet I want at a moments notice by selecting the proper seating die. Saves time at the bench and I always am willing to trade money for time, all other things being equal.

Most of the rest of my handgun reloading is done for no more than two or three different bullet weight/styles per caliber, usually one in cast and one in jacketed. So the number of seating dies in .357mag is a bit extreme, but I do load quite a few thousand .357Mag cartridges each year, so it saves me a lot of time re-adjusting seating dies.

I also use a separate die set for reloading .38Special cartidges, same for .44Spl/44Mag, separate die set for each caliber and separate seating dies for each bullet style/weight. I don't care for those spacer rings, either.

Zymurgy50
11-29-2013, 11:38 AM
You should be able to get one set of dies for the Schofield and long colt, and one set of dies for the ACP & Auto Rim. The ACP is actually a tapered case, and I dont think it will work very well sizing the LC.

On the 44 spl, Mag, and russian one set of dies will work, case diameter is the same on all 3.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Dennis,

One of the main reasons for reloading is making the best ammunition for your firearm. I'm reasonably sure you'll find you'll have better ammunition if you choose to purchase dies that match more closely to the cartridges you're trying to reload.

As far as a "best," I haven't found a best in a single brand. What I have found is if I select die sets most closely matched to my cartridge and how I want to reload it, then mix/match brands to get the end result I want, I am the most satisfied with the quality of the cartridge.

In your case, you're reloading cartridges for both revolvers and pistols, as well as a variety of cartridges that while they have the same caliber, they vary a great deal in how those cartridges would be assembled to get the best ammunition possible.

Based on what you're reloading for, I would start with a Lee 4-die set and go from there. The press you're going to be using would also affect my choice and in this case, I don't know it. I would use a different set of dies on say a Lee Classic Turret press vs. a Dillon 650.

I also agree totally with 357supermag. You can cost yourself enough time adjusting a set of dies you'll lose what you save in money. Look to buy used dies on the Swap & Sell forum here rather than buying new and you'll save a good bit, probably enough to buy multiple sets of good dies. The brands aren't critically important for loading good ammo. It's when you go to loading great ammo you want to mix and match.

1Shirt
11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Sound advice given!
1Shirt!

dek
11-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Thank you for the responses and comments. I'll get a die set for each type. I too would rather have excellent ammunition and spend less time in adjusting. It was just a thought. I also forgot the ACP is a tapered case and the revolver cases are not. Again thanks, Dennis

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Dennis,

It's always the little things. The wonderful thing about living today is having so many choices in firearms and calibers. But it's also the most aggravating thing. I finally got tired of loading for so many calibers and trimmed mine down to .45ACP, .380ACP and .357magnum/.38special. Of course, as soon as I did that, a buddy started working on me that I ought to have a pistol that we could share mags and ammo in a crisis situation (.40S&W) and a common military caliber (9MM). To date, he still hasn't convinced me, but it did make me increase the size of my loaded cartridges.:redneck:

Greg B.
12-05-2013, 08:08 PM
+1 for Dave and the difference between adequate and great ammo. I reload 45 (Long) Colt on RCBS 45 ACP dies for my S&W 25-5. I also use 230 gr. 45 ACP commercially swagged bullets. These are quite adequate but are not first class target loads by any means. Got a good deal on the boolits and the dies came with the gun.

Ickisrulz
12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
The Hornady New Dimension seater dies are intended to be somewhat universal for a caliber. In other words, one die can be used to seat all the bullets for the 45 cartridges you listed. However, you have to watch what type of crimp the die will make. Some have tapper crimps while others do roll crimps. Somehow I ended up with a roll crimp 45 ACP die set and had to purchase a taper crimp die separately. For an expander, one made for 45 caliber should work for all your 45 cartridges. M dies from Lyman are well regarded. For re-sizing, 45 ACP and 45 AR use the same die. 45 Colt and 45 Schofield use the same die. 44 Mag, Special and Russian can all be loaded with a 44 Mag/Spec carbide die set. Don't forget all the shell holders.

Wayne Smith
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Dennis,

It's always the little things. The wonderful thing about living today is having so many choices in firearms and calibers. But it's also the most aggravating thing. I finally got tired of loading for so many calibers and trimmed mine down to .45ACP, .380ACP and .357magnum/.38special. Of course, as soon as I did that, a buddy started working on me that I ought to have a pistol that we could share mags and ammo in a crisis situation (.40S&W) and a common military caliber (9MM). To date, he still hasn't convinced me, but it did make me increase the size of my loaded cartridges.:redneck:

Dave, I'd convince him that the 45ACP fits both conditions and he ought to get one!