PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizing die decap pin (rifle die)

Steve Steven
11-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I am considering getting a set of 30-06 Lee dies (can't find my old RCBS ones, last used 15 years ago!) and want to know how the decaping rod is held in the sizer/decap die, Is it a friction fit? From what I can gather on the Lee website, that may be how its done.

I don't like that as I use once-fired military brass and primers on them are hard to get out, would rather get a different set with threaded rod if that's how it is done.

Comments on this?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Steve

country gent
11-28-2013, 09:26 PM
While its not a threaded rod, it is and isnt a friction fit. The lee die uses a collet tupe set up to hold the smooth decapping rod in place and on location. I have had good results with them and they will normally slip before breaking. I have decapped many 308 and 223 military cases with mine with good results. Its a solid dependable set up, the only draw back is initially figuring out how tight to tighten it.

VHoward
11-29-2013, 12:06 AM
The universal decap die I have from Lee would not decap my 300 win mag brass no matter how much I tightened that nut. the decap pin kept slipping. The sizing/decapping die I have from RCBS has no trouble decapping the brass.

Bzcraig
11-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Like country gent I have decapped thousands of 223 & 308 without a problem. The only problem I ever had was breaking the pin on berdan primed cases.

Wizwheel
11-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I would rather slip a pin, than strip a skinny threaded rod. If you break a lee pin they are only a few bucks vs. $$$. LEE all the way here.

sparky45
11-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Another A+ for the Lee Decapper, just flat out works, and as a previous poster has stated watch out for that occasional Berdan primed case.

Steve Steven
11-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks, guys. A mixed result. I will try a set of Lee dies. I have a home made decapping pin I made 30 years ago ( a turned down 5/16" bolt with a pin from a needle bearing) I can use for stubborn ones, I just decapped 40 cases last night, now to figure out how I am going to ream the pockets!

Steve

Rory McCanuck
11-29-2013, 03:31 PM
The Lee stem works well, and is designed to slip rather than break.
The problem is you need to tighten the collet blue-face tight to get it to hold.
If you remove the stem first, and give it a little squish in your vice's jaws, the dimples will help hold it a bit easier.
I don't know if it will still slip rather than break, as I haven't had any problems since.

13Echo
11-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I have no trouble with Lee dies decapping military crimped primers in .30-06, 7.62, and 5.56. The collet holding the stem does need to be very tight to prevent slippage and it helps a whole lot if you degrease the stem and collet before tightening. Even a little bit of oil or grease can cause slippage on a tough primer.

Steve Steven
11-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks, guys, I just got a set of used Lyman dies on Ebay for $20.50 shipping included, so I guess I will be using Lymans.

Thanks for the comments!

BTW, just made a primer pocket reamer using a threaded primer pocket reamer I found in a box of stuff from 15 years ago, had a stem threaded for #8-32 so I chucked up a piece of 1/2" rod, drilled and tapped it in the lathe, and reamed the pockets in the lathe. Another problem solved!

Steve

zuke
12-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Degrease the rod and collet the reassemble, should be good after that.
For the crimp I use a countersink in my drill press.