PDA

View Full Version : Jeet Yet ?

dagger dog
11-28-2013, 11:18 AM
What y'all havin' for dinner ?

Just about everybody is going to chow down to the max on this Thanksgiving day.

We're having apple wood ,slow smoked and marinated brisket, brussels sprouts, lightly boiled in chicken stock covered in butter , potatoes augratin baked with aged cheddar cheese and a fresh carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Best wishes to every one celebrating this family holiday !

Sweetpea
11-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Dagger, it seems like you're trying to use some utahnics in your verbiage...

I believe the correct spelling is djeet...

:mrgreen:

btroj
11-28-2013, 12:12 PM
We are doing pulled pork, potato salad, cole slaw, and corn bread.

Chocolate expression cheesecake for desert.

Not traditional but it is what I like to make and eat. Pork spent 13 hours in the oven yesterday after an overnight in the fridge covered in dry rub. Yummy.

Echo
11-28-2013, 12:22 PM

...followed by 'djet'

Jailer
11-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Got 2 brined chickens in the smoker as we speak. Wasn't brave enough to try a turkey with a couple guests coming over. Fixing to get going on the garlic mashed taters right now.

imashooter2
11-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Turkey is traditional and I'm a traditional kind of guy. :)

Big bird with bread stuffing like Mom made it, mashed and giblet gravy, squash and peas. For desert, you can have pie or pie, your choice. :razz: We have pumpkin, apple, pecan or mince. Fresh whipped cream if'n it suits you and good sharp cheese to go with the apple.

DougGuy
11-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Roast Pheasant braised in combined butter (butter with rosemary, thyme, sage, basil, oregano, paprika) and a wine/chicken stock sauce with a blanket of hickory smoked bacon to keep it all moist.

Collards with smoked hog jowl, chopped turnip, jalapeno vinegar and a dash of Sylvia's Chicken Rub.

Cornbread stuffing with oysters, pecans, Minnesota wild rice, and a few dried tart cherries mixed in for color and contrast.

And of course home made cranberry sauce, and gravy made from the pheasant drippings and pheasant giblets.

Edit: Here's the result, man the pan drippings made the most AWESOME pheasant gravy I have ever tasted!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/DSC01789_zpsab9be30d.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/DSC01789_zpsab9be30d.jpg.html)

dagger dog
11-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Well I got the yet part right !

imashooter2,

Mail me some left overs !

DougGuy,

Man I miss the pheasant hunting, I worked the Harrisburg, PA area during the 70's and had great time hunting those birds, always had a couple roasting along with venison and goose, even some brook trout frying in a pan, every Thanksgiving.

DIRT Farmer
11-28-2013, 01:39 PM
I miss the old days when the whole clan came by on Tuesday, combined hunting with cooking and butchering. The big smoker with pork, deer, fish and a few turkeys. The rabbits and squrriel was for the cooks to snack on.
Today turkey breast from the oven, sweet taters, fresh rolls and pumpkin pie. Getting old and having to eat healthy cuts back on the fun some but after the last few heart scares I am thankful to have another Thanksgiving.

BD
11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Speakin' Pennsyltuckian, it would be, "djeet jet?", and the response would be, "No, jew ?"
We're going for the seafood curry gumbo this year. Lobster, mussels, scallops and shrimp.
BD

Rex
11-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Whatever the daughter and son-in-law are fixing, of course Momma made apple dumplings to take along.

Sweetpea
11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Speakin' Pennsyltuckian, it would be, "djeet jet?", and the response would be, "No, jew ?"
We're going for the seafood curry gumbo this year. Lobster, mussels, scallops and shrimp.
BD

And the proper reply is "sqweet"...

Bored1
11-28-2013, 02:05 PM
We are doing the big meal tomorrow afternoon when all of us can be here, but on the menu is

Turkey with stuffing, collards with smoked neck bones, green bean cassorole, candied yams, scalloped corn cassorole, whole berry cranberry sauce, and possibly some venison backstraps! Almost forgot the taters, doing both red roasted and yukon mashed!!! Should be awesome!!!!

Had some fish saved in the freezer from summer, but freezer got unplugged and it unthawed before we knew it. BUT, then got a buck first day of rifle season with FREEBULLET's help and that should suppliment the missing fish!

starmac
11-28-2013, 03:22 PM
We are having turkey, one roasted and one fried with ALL the trimmings. The pumpkin pies and bread were cooked last night.

rush1886
11-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Rack of BabyBack's, apple/maple sausage stuffing, SWEET potato salad and buttermilk pie. Just took the ribs outa the smoker. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I be Thankful to be alive!

shooterg
11-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Two turkeys, one "city" ham, one country ham, mashed taters,mucho gravy, green beans, baked beans, 2 kinds of dressing, mucho gravy, deviled eggs, REAL sweet tea, broccoli caserole, mac & cheese, pecan pies, yeast rolls, mucho gravy, pumpkin pies, chocolate pies, and more . Only 2 dozen showed this year, couldn't get off soon enough/etc., but very little leftover .

But, man that pic of pheasant makes you drool !

wch
11-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Mungry- tired of messin' round: skweet.

JWFilips
11-28-2013, 10:17 PM
I had to laugh at this threads Name "Jeet Yet ?"

Where I come from it is called the "Mid Valley" region just north of Scranton...."Coal cracking place"..... growin up the common phrase among your friends was "Jeet Yet ?...No Ju?" That takes me way back ....Thanks
& yes I did at 4 pm and I'm still feeling it!!!!

RED333
11-28-2013, 10:58 PM
All the regular stuff and to much put in my pie hole.

mikeym1a
11-28-2013, 11:37 PM
BD
YUM!!!! That's a lot better than my oven roaster bag turkey, dressing, seaweed salad, and apple sauce. Just me and the cat, nothing fancy.:lol:

MaryB
11-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Invited the neighbor widow over, made a small 10 pound bird with sage stuffing, baked 2 sweet potatoes then into a caramel sauce with marshmallows on top. Some home made dinner rolls(I make bread dough and freeze it in roll portions, grind my own flour from organic). Gravy of course. Pumpkin pie for desert with lots whipped cream.

pdawg_shooter
11-29-2013, 09:22 AM
All by myself so I baked some pork chops, fried some potatoes with chopped onions, and heated some cream style corn. Works for me anyway.