PDA

View Full Version : Lee Precision Banner Ad Gone

jmort
11-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Just noticed the Lee Precision banner ad is gone as of today. Hopefully it will return as I clicked it often to get info on products. Hope it was not discontinued due to the ubiquitous and gratuitous bashing. I'm expecting its return.

WILCO
11-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Hope it was not discontinued due to the ubiquitous and gratuitous bashing.

John Lee has thicker skin than that.

LEE Precision has a strong presence on my reloading and casting benches.

Here's a link to get you by in the meantime:

http://leeprecision.com/

Muskyhunter1
11-28-2013, 06:55 AM
I have a mess of Lee molding and reloading stuff and have generally been very happy with their products. I think they keep the the other companies honest and can be credited for getting a ton of people into reloading/casting.

jonp
11-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Got me into reloading. I have never had a problem with their stuff and just ordered a ladle and some alox.

uscra112
11-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I have a mess of Lee molding and reloading stuff and have generally been very happy with their products. I think they keep the the other companies honest and can be credited for getting a ton of people into reloading/casting.

Well. I guess I'm a gratuitous basher then. I wonder how many people tried to start casting or reloading and dropped it because their Lee products didn't work very well. That would have been me, if the Lee press I bought in the mid-90s had been my first press. And if I hadn't learned here how to make 'em work before I bought any Lee moulds.

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Lee and their pricing is probably the reason many of us could afford to start handloading and casting.

oldred
11-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Another vote for Lee, started out with the Lee classic hand loaders many years ago and still find Lee products the best "Bang" for the buck!

cbrick
11-28-2013, 08:12 AM
It ain't "bashing" if it's true. It's simply saying it like it is. Seems to some people that if you state the truth about something your bashing it. Nonsense!

I've never said anything negative about LEE reloading tools but I can assure you I've bought my last LEE mold.

Rick

jeepyj
11-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I believe that Lee is partially responsible for helping me get started. Given the fact all those years ago when trying to start a family, Lee was a affordable way to get started without straining the family budget to bad. I still have most of my original equipment. Plus one for Lee!
Jeepyj

dragon813gt
11-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Didn't they stop sponsoring awhile ago? I remember a thread just like this a year or so ago.

There is nothing wrong w/ stating the truth about a product. There is a problem w/ bashing for no reason. Especially when you have no experience w/ a particular product which seems to be the case quite often. I always wonder how often that it's the operator and not the tools? And if they contacted Lee to fix the problem? They've fixed the few issues I've had in quick fashion.

But like Rick, I don't even attempt their molds anymore. It was a happy day when I sold off my last one :)

GP100man
11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
I know Lee was responsible for me getting into reloading & casting . Little disposable cash made Lee products a NO BRAINER decision for me at the time .

Thanks Lee Precision !!!

Now the BUTT.

Lee has very inovative designs , but implimenting the actual tool into a easy to use ,last forever,never breaks,& perfect tool leaves a little to be desired. & so do some of the other manufactures.

Thru the yrs. of loading I have "weeded out" some not so egronomic, light duty(where heavy was needed)complicated to keep runnin (tinkers dreams)& some that were designed for problems that did`nt exist !

I load in "batches" single stage , have given a couple of the progressives & auto turrets a try , but always return to the single stage set ups.

Now that 380Lady is on board & shooting regularly a dillion setup may be in our future.

30+ yrs pullin the handle!

No bash just MHO.

gbrown
11-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I would hope that Lee is still a Sponsor of the site. They left for a couple of months, a while back, and then returned. I own Lee products and started with the simple Lee Loader kits back in the '60's. I was in my teens and money was scarce. Lee products are what they are, is all I can say. Stating the truth is not bashing. I have H&G and SAECO 8 cav that are old. I doubt you would find a Lee still capable of turning out good boolits after that length of time--maybe if one person owned them the entire time. But Lee is cheap, compared to others. The molds do produce good boolits. There is nothing wrong with them, as long as you accept them for what they are. Lee offers products for the person who wants to cast/reload, but is on a tight budget. Just like car manufacturers produce Accura's, Lexus's, etc. many can't afford 'em, drive Kia's, Hyundai's, the less expensive vehicles. Reloaders/casters are no different.

Wayne Smith
11-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I will agree with those who started with Lee because of availability and price. I started with two Lee loaders. Their design/build philosophy is where I have most of my issues, I don't like some of their design elements and having to treat some of their products as a kit to be finished rather than a finished tool. These are deliberate decisions made for valid reasons, I just disagree. However, I have many of their molds, their case trimmers, and other items that I would, and will buy again.

frkelly74
11-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I like Lee Products.

jonas302
11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
There is a Titan Reloading banner right at top essentially lees retail store

whelenshooter
11-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Started reloading 20 years ago with a Lee Challenger and rifle dies. I have since added a turret and hand press. This year I hope to add a Lee Classic Cast to the mix. Their products serve me well. Customer service for special order items has been great too.

David

mold maker
11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Most LEE tools cost less than a night on the town, alone, that only last a few hours, with a remaining hangover and diarrhea.
I still have and use the first Lee tool I ever purchased. LEE products have never been the PIA that others describe. Am I just lucky, or do others expect too much?

Trey45
11-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Maybe it was an agent of obama that removed it.

Frosty Boolit
11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Can we all just agree to buy whatever you want and that you usually get what you pay for?

bbs70
11-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Lee and their pricing is probably the reason many of us could afford to start handloading and casting.

AMEN Brother

Blacksmith
11-28-2013, 10:23 AM
A Lee Loader in .222 Remington convinced me I could and would like reloading many years ago. I still recommend new thinking about maybe trying reloading people who don't want a big up front investment to "test drive" a Lee Loader and see if it is something they will like as a hobby. I feel the Lee Loader gives a solid foundation of the principles.

I just wish the offered as many calibers as the old days.

zardoz45
11-28-2013, 10:24 AM
If it wasn't for Lee products I wouldn't be on this forum in the first place because if I would have needed a large cash outlay I wouldn't have started reloading. Now that I know how enjoyable it is I have upgraded to a Rockchucker press and RCBS measure. And this was only for nostalgia, the ammunition isn't any more accurate. Bashing Lee is like someone with a Mercedes bashing Ford.

Edit: Blacksmith, I didn't see your post until I posted. I too started out with a Lee loader in .222, and I still remember the guys on the range chiding me for shooting a Savage 340 instead of a custom Mauser action like THEY had.

Rooster59
11-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I have all Lee tools except where they don't offer some tool I want or need. The only Lee items I have sold were items that became obsolete due to changes in my gun cabinet inventory.

TJF1
11-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I have been a user of lee products
sence the early 60s.
Terry

76 WARLOCK
11-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I have at least a dozen Lee 6 cavity molds that I got when we were doing the Lee group buys, I really like them and hope to see the group buys from Lee again.

Boyscout
11-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a mix of Lee, RCBS, and Lyman. They all do what I bought them for. I like Lee molds and FCD.

ACrowe25
11-28-2013, 11:20 AM
My lee products had no problem making accurate rounds... More money on equipment doesn't translate to better end products (ammo). A little playing with on a short budget gets it done.

popper
11-28-2013, 11:32 AM
May be some Lee bashers here but my wife found the worst CS when phone ordering pizza. Got a gal with broken english who didn't know prices or sizes or anything. Asked her if she was close to our place - no, ASIA! What the *****.

ShooterAZ
11-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I too started with a Lee Loader...and then with their hand press to a bench "C" press. While their products certainly do work, I since have moved on to RCBS and Dillon for my presses. I have my fair share of Lee molds too, but prefer my Noe & RCBS for the obvious reasons. To their credit, I have seen some improvement in the product line (new 2 cav molds for instance). Some products stand out like their Universal Case Expander, and some don't...like their chamfering tool. I am also a fan of the FCD, used properly it's a winner.

richhodg66
11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't care for their two cavity molds, never had good luck with them. The six cavity molds they make are different and you sure can make a pile of good bullets fast with them.

Lee's dies are OK, I like their pistol dies a lot. One thing they make that I have a bunch of and really like are the little case trimmers for individual calibers, I really like the simplicity and use them a lot. The hand primers are great for loading a lot of pistol ammo up too. I never have used a progressive of any type and never have used a Lee press other than the hand press. Many Lee products are great, I have a lot of them and will probably buy more of them over the years.

Like anybody, I like some of their products and some I'm not wild about. That being said, it's been my experience that you can't go wrong buying anything RCBS makes and their customer service has been great the few times I've had a problem.

jcwit
11-28-2013, 12:11 PM
I also am a supporter of Lee equipment, can't say they were my first as it was way back in the latter 50's/60's and frankly I do not remember. But over the years I've sure purchased my share of Lee products and have been very happy.

Fishman
11-28-2013, 12:14 PM
The casting community would be much smaller without Lee and everything would cost twice as much.

472x1B/A
11-28-2013, 12:18 PM
My first Lee press was a 3 hole turret press. Bought it at the Rod and Gun club on Vandenburg AFB, that was 1987. In '92 I upgraded to a 4 hole. Bet I've put 100 bricks of primers through this press. I also have Lyman, Herters, MEC, Texan, and Dillon loaders, and as someone said they all have their good and bad points.

6bg6ga
11-28-2013, 12:19 PM
It ain't "bashing" if it's true. It's simply saying it like it is. Seems to some people that if you state the truth about something your bashing it. Nonsense!

I've never said anything negative about LEE reloading tools but I can assure you I've bought my last LEE mold.

Rick

I'll get your quote correct this time....

Your not bashing them. I will state that I will never purchase any of their products especially the molds. The quality simply isn't there. Maybe their cheaper BUT if you have to make another purchase simply because the product didn't hold up you haven't saved any money at all. I've seen others purchase their products and be sorry they have. This is not bashing......simply the truth.

For the record I started with used RCBS and Lyman.

Tonto
11-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Lee=great value.....let the bashers bash, read enough on this list and about every reloading equipment color gets a share, nature of the beast when you mix up with a group of reloaders. I had one Lee single cav rifle mould cast extremely undersize, the 7mm and they sent me a replacement no questions asked. I've had bad product by about all of them, simple call or email solved every time instantly. I'm looking forward to the new 2014 Lee moulds, I like that lite nine style...I love the 300 AAC style and about twenty others. Bashers, just send me your stuff, I'm happy to recycle.

cbrick
11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Lee=great value.....let the bashers bash,

Precisely what I posted. ANYONE that posts their experience with LEE that isn't exactly what they want to hear equates to your bashing the beloved LEE.

T'aint so. Stating the truth about anything is not bashing it. What it is is stating the truth! Period! For those that believe LEE walks on water more power to ya but some of us know better.

Rick

Bored1
11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Anyone who has lee stuff they don't like can feel free to ship it to me!!!! I prefer to buy Lee stuff!!! Works like it should, and in most cases is a LOT easier to understand than others. Plus the price can't be beat!

jmort
11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Having a specific criticism is valid. Posts like "All Lee stuff is junk," is not only false, but useless and a waste of server space. It is the categorical throw-away posts that are at issue with me.

Love Life
11-28-2013, 02:15 PM
With all the "This website/seller is evil!! Gouger, hoarder, junk seller and we should ban them!!!" threads that have occurred, I would pull my sponsorship as well. Nobody likes toxicity.

Newtire
11-28-2013, 03:03 PM
12 gauge Lee Loader in little box got me into reloading. Finally got a MEC shotgun loader, a Lyman Turret press and a bunch of Lyman moulds in a box from a yard sale. I have run into problems with everyone's equipment. Have had real good luck with Lee moulds here but they don't make everything so have many other kinds. I liked those Ranch Dog moulds that Lee made alot. Glad I bought them while I still could get them. I'm with others in that it's good to have more than one company to choose from and good thing for Lee. My brother-in-law has all blue presses but I can still outshoot him!

garym1a2
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
I have a lot of lee presses and like most of them, the hand press, classic cast and classic cast turrent are great. The challenger and pro1000 I have are OK. The loadmaster STINKs. Still need to get their "C" press and 50 cal press.
For what's it worth you could get a Lee 50 cal kit for $230 or from Dillon you spend over $1200.

AlaskanGuy
11-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I like lee stuff.... That is all there is to say... I like it, period.

HNSB
11-28-2013, 04:07 PM
For the money, I like all of my Lee stuff.

aspangler
11-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I have Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and a few others. My go to molds are my Lee two cavity molds. Literally thousands of boolits molded and VERY few problems. All the problems came from NOT following Lee's instructions. My first press was a Lyman Sparta that I still have and use. I have a rockchuker RCBS and a Lee Pro 1000. I have No trouble with any of them if I do MY part. IMHO most troubles are caused by the "nut behind the butt".

wlc
11-28-2013, 06:55 PM
All my reloading stuff is Lee with the exception of a hornady scale I bought at a yard sale and a couple of sets of dies that they don't make. Most of my casting stuff is Lee except my MiHec molds. I've never had a problem with my Lee stuff and think its a great value for the money. I guess I must be lucky or something.....

jcwit
11-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I'll get your quote correct this time....

Your not bashing them. I will state that I will never purchase any of their products especially the molds. The quality simply isn't there. Maybe their cheaper BUT if you have to make another purchase simply because the product didn't hold up you haven't saved any money at all. I've seen others purchase their products and be sorry they have. This is not bashing......simply the truth.

For the record I started with used RCBS and Lyman.

If I refused to buy products from a company that produced products that were not perfect for uses I would be severely hampered as to what to purchase.

In 1972 I purchased a new Corvette that developed cracks in the fiberglass body, so I guess I should never buy a GM product based on that experience. This is but one example, there have been many in my 70 years of living.

I know, never give the benefit of the doubt to any manufacturer, nore ever give a service company or manufacturer a second chance.

Man alive what an attitude.

Ever get a bad hamburger?

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Ever get a bad hamburger?

No NEVER.

Did I ever mention that I was "GRAND POO POO" OF THE INTERNATIONAL LIARS CLUB at one time.:)

jcwit
11-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Grand Poo Poo? Whatever you say Bill. LOL

xs11jack
11-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Bill, I think that "Grand Poo Poo" business is a Lie!! So There! To keep within the bounds of the thread, I have a bunch of Lee stuff and I don't have a quarrel with any of it. And that ain't a lie!
Ole Jack

Gliden07
11-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Just noticed the Lee Precision banner ad is gone as of today. Hopefully it will return as I clicked it often to get info on products. Hope it was not discontinued due to the ubiquitous and gratuitous bashing. I'm expecting its return.

I love LEE products! If it wasn't for them it would have taken me at least 6 months or more to start doing this hobby. They have GREAT customer service too!! There may be products out there that are considered better but for someone on a shoe string budget that wants quality products to cast and make quality ammunition they are a GREAT company!!! My Bench will never be without LEE Products!!

JeffinNZ
11-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Still astounds me that Lee can turn out what it does for the prices it does for US made products. How on earth they do it in this day and age is beyond me. Without Lee I would not be into handloading anywhere near as much as I am if at all.

Freightman
11-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Still astounds me that Lee can turn out what it does for the prices it does for US made products. How on earth they do it in this day and age is beyond me. Without Lee I would not be into handloading anywhere near as much as I am if at all.
Me too!

TXGunNut
11-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Not a big fan of their dies & presses but I have more Lee moulds than any other, mainly due to my preference for RD designs. Most of their products I buy because they're the best tool for the job, attractive price doesn't offend this ol' tightwad a bit!
Funny how every negative Lee post results in two or three positive posts. Think I'll go bash Larry Potterfield and generate some Midway business! ;-)

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2013, 12:07 PM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/presstable.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/presstable.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/shelveswithmoldsinlocknlock.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/shelveswithmoldsinlocknlock.jpg.html)

Harter66
11-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I've 30 or so moulds half are Lee moulds I did have to ''work on'' a couple of them. But only 1 of the other half came to me as a new mould and then because it was $4 more for the NOE 4C mould than the Lee 2C from Natchez due to shipping costs. I just bought a set of Lee 222 dies myself. I bought a set of 40 S&W,6.8 Rem and 308 dies as well. Except for the 308set hat came w/a rifle the others were purchased because they were $10 less AND were available when I needed them while RCBS was not. shame on me for not knowing that I would aquire a screaming deal on a new cartridge during the peak of the hoarding pits....er.....mass surge buying. Personaly I didn't care for the 3 hole turret turret press but I grew up w/a Lyman Crusher and an original R/C ,I don't care for the 505 or 1050s either but I like my Ohaus M3 I don't care for the CH 38 die set at all.I they were on the shelf side by side by side I'd buy RCBS dies. I don't like Lees unbreakable broken decapper in the 308 dies. As far as I can see basic dies are really all the same. Value is what you get for what you spend, $40 gets you a 6C mould all 4 of mine have run fine out of the box. I can't buy 2C RCBS moulds as a rule for $40, I find some Single Lymans some times for that. I've cast several 1000s in all the RCBS,Lyman,TC,and LEE moulds.they all have fussy little quirks . To just cast Rifle boolits I like the 27-130 best but in the pistol moulds the Lee 6C trump th 45-200 SWC every time. You really can't fairly compare iron moulds AL moulds though.

cbrick
11-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Funny how ;-)

Funny how . . . The LEE lovers on this forum get all warm & fuzzy over comments like that but if someone posts a negative experience about that which walks on water and the only true casting equipment they are bashers.

Funny how . . . If someone buys a tool to use & enjoy it rather than spend their time & energy trying to figure out how to make it work they are bashers.

Funny how . . . Many here that praise LEE seem to have little to no experience with anything else to make a legitimate & honest comparison & yet the others are bashers.

Funny how . . . To many here the single, the only thing that matters is how cheap can I get this and nothing else is even worthy of consideration. Funny how those same people seem to have no understanding what-so-ever that some people get tremendous enjoyment from using a quality piece of equipment therefore those that do are bashers.

Funny how those that believe LEE molds are the only intelligent mold purchase should sit here feeling all warm & fuzzy complimenting themselves but NO ONE else is entitled to express their views. If they do they are bashers.

Funny how . . . I've seen little in this thread or other LEE threads denoting the quality of LEE molds, simply calling out those they deem bashers. There is even one post in this thread where the poster couldn't think of anything to say that would prop up LEE quality so he attempted to bring down all other molds to LEE quality.

Yep, hilarious all right.

Rick

btroj
11-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I use many Lee moulds. I like the 6 cav moulds. Are they as well made as my customs moulds? Nope, but they serve a purpose.

I use few other Lee products but will say that they make the absolute best hand priming tool out there.

I don't buy by brand, I buy based on need. If i need a general purpose item I can use Lee, if I want extreme precision I buy a tool that gives that.

Cost is often a factor. Is Lee the best? Not even close but they are far and a way the most affordable. I wouldn't suggest a beginner buy anything else. In time they can decide what they "need" from there.

I neither love or loathe Lee! they are what they are.

HNSB
11-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Funny how a chunk of aluminum with some holes in it can get people so worked up.

cbrick
11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Funny how a chunk of aluminum with some holes in it can get people so worked up.

Worked up? Nah, not me. Simply pointing to the obvious.

Rick

btroj
11-29-2013, 01:05 PM
And those holes, they are so important. How they are designed and cut makes all the difference.

9w1911
11-29-2013, 01:59 PM
well I dont have any loyalties to companies, other than Dillon, I prob wont buy another press other than a blue yet here is a guy here on armslist w a rcbs progressive Ive been after lol
So bottom line is Lee makes some great products no one else does, and if it breaks send it back and get a new one
I dont know how Lee can produce in the USA so cheaply I am in manufacturing and it is not easy to do it stateside, regardless I will still buy their stuff and others as long as it does the job I want

quilbilly
11-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I have been using Lee products for 32 years in my custom fishing jig business with no complaints and have not had any problems with their boolit molds since I switched from jacketed a few years back.

ultramag
11-29-2013, 03:13 PM
I use many Lee moulds. I like the 6 cav moulds. Are they as well made as my customs moulds? Nope, but they serve a purpose.

I use few other Lee products but will say that they make the absolute best hand priming tool out there.

I don't buy by brand, I buy based on need. If i need a general purpose item I can use Lee, if I want extreme precision I buy a tool that gives that.

Cost is often a factor. Is Lee the best? Not even close but they are far and a way the most affordable. I wouldn't suggest a beginner buy anything else. In time they can decide what they "need" from there.

I neither love or loathe Lee! they are what they are.

+1....Best post in the whole thread.

I started with the Lee molds and they have served me pretty well so far. I think it's the best way for a new caster to start. If you do something completely stupid and ruin a mold it's not too big of a loss monetarily. That said, I'm in no way completely loyal to Lee, nor do I think they are the end all answer for everyone. After the first of the year I'm going to pick up a mold or two in my most high volume usage styles from Accurate and see how the other half lives. I completely expect the quality to be better, the mold blocks to take the use better due to being made of harder higher quality materials, and the whole thing to just be more enjoyable to use due to better fit, finish, and alignment among other things.

I'm greatful for Lee. Even after a year it's hard for me to want to drop almost $200 on a 4 or 5 cavity Accurate/Noe mold. Especially after making thousands of boolits with the Lee equipment. I think they may be worth it though and therefore I'll try a couple out and base my future purchasing decisions on my personal experience, perceived value, and enjoyment of use as well as ease in making boat loads of quality boolits. In the end, that's all any of us can do.

In short, I use some Lee stuff and am thankful for their presence in the casting/reloading world, however they are from the answer to everything for everybody. Not sure why anyone would think so, especially if you've never even tried anything else.

Garyshome
11-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a bunch of lee stuff. But when something better finds it way to my bench the lee stuff goes up for sale.

MT Gianni
11-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Well. I guess I'm a gratuitous basher then. I wonder how many people tried to start casting or reloading and dropped it because their Lee products didn't work very well. That would have been me, if the Lee press I bought in the mid-90s had been my first press. And if I hadn't learned here how to make 'em work before I bought any Lee moulds.
IMO, that would be like quitting driving because your first car was less than perfect. I have some red on my shelves and don't plan on changing that.

btroj
11-29-2013, 04:23 PM
My bench has dies and stuff from many companies. I replaced a 30-30 sizer with a Lee be cause the RCBS didn't size the case enough to allow easy clambering, the Lee does.

Stuff either works or it doesn't.

jcwit
11-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Funny how . . . The LEE lovers on this forum get all warm & fuzzy over comments like that but if someone posts a negative experience about that which walks on water and the only true casting equipment they are bashers.

Funny how . . . If someone buys a tool to use & enjoy it rather than spend their time & energy trying to figure out how to make it work they are bashers.

Funny how . . . Many here that praise LEE seem to have little to no experience with anything else to make a legitimate & honest comparison & yet the others are bashers.

Funny how . . . To many here the single, the only thing that matters is how cheap can I get this and nothing else is even worthy of consideration. Funny how those same people seem to have no understanding what-so-ever that some people get tremendous enjoyment from using a quality piece of equipment therefore those that do are bashers.

Funny how those that believe LEE molds are the only intelligent mold purchase should sit here feeling all warm & fuzzy complimenting themselves but NO ONE else is entitled to express their views. If they do they are bashers.

Funny how . . . I've seen little in this thread or other LEE threads denoting the quality of LEE molds, simply calling out those they deem bashers. There is even one post in this thread where the poster couldn't think of anything to say that would prop up LEE quality so he attempted to bring down all other molds to LEE quality.

Rick

The real funny thing is that even tho I happen to appreciate the quality & value of Lee Products and their customer service, I also have Products from every major reloading manufacturer out their including Dillon & Sinclair, and many that are no longer in business.

Love Life
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Lee dies are good to go, but their bullet sizing dies are always undersized, their 2 cavity moulds are wobbly, and their powder scale is only good as stand in foot ball for punting practice.

Their classic cast is a solid piece of kit and has it's place on my bench. I have to agree with CBRICK. When you buy a lee mould the praying starts. When you use a lee mould the cussing starts.

When you buy a RCBS, NOE, or Mihec mould the cussing starts. When it gets to your door and runs flawlessly out of the box, the praise starts.

sparky45
11-29-2013, 05:18 PM
So, my question would be the same as OP's : is Lee still a Sponsor or not? If that has already been answered, please direct me to that post.

jonp
11-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Most LEE tools cost less than a night on the town, alone, that only last a few hours, with a remaining hangover and diarrhea.
I still have and use the first Lee tool I ever purchased. LEE products have never been the PIA that others describe. Am I just lucky, or do others expect too much?
Where are you going out Hickory way that gives you diarrhea?

firefly1957
11-29-2013, 08:52 PM
I like Lee and do recommend it to others.

fatnhappy
11-29-2013, 10:18 PM

Rick

Amen.

When all is said and done, the membership on this board (and the administration) is too intellectually honest to allow a sponsor to dictate content or edit posts.

Blacksmith
11-30-2013, 01:05 AM
I see the Lee banner is back on the board. I hope all the specialized vendors who cater to our hobby will support this site.

jmort
11-30-2013, 01:13 AM
"I see the Lee banner is back on the board."

As it should be.

geargnasher
11-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Hmm. I started with an RCBS Ammomaster reloading kit. Still have and use every part of it except the loading block that I donated to my Uncle along with a 'care pack' kit I put together with a Lee loader to get him started reloading for his .45 Colt revolvers. Still use the Lee hand primer and shellholders my stepdad gave me in 1989. I own four Lee progressives and three turrets. I think it's kinda funny to look at the dies I use, though. A Lee Collet sizing die next to an RCBS expanding die, a Forster Micrometer in-line seater die followed by a Lee FCD is typical for my rifle turret heads. I like Lee pistol-caliber seating dies because a .44 Magnum case filled with epoxy putty perfectly fits them and makes a straight-line, boolit-specific seating punch. Cheap and better than any other die maker's .45 dies on the planet. Then there's the Sinclair neck sizers followed by a Lee rifle charging die withe a pistol powder-thru-Expander spud in it, Lee universal expander with a 5/8-18 bolt turned to make a "real" expander, a Forster in-line seater, and lastly an RCBS or Lee crimping die (for fast work with .30-30 or .35 Remington plinking ammo). I can't tell you exactly how many Lee rifle sizing dies I've modified to fit my chambers exactly for minimal sizing of the necks and bodies so my brass is "fireformed" but identical each loading, but it's close to a dozen. I'm an equipment ***** and a cheapskate, but I'll save and spend the money where it counts when it matters. The trick is knowing WHEN it MATTERS.

A good and wise friend of mine once commented about cheap tools: You don't always need the BEST tool, you just need the CORRECT tool. Sometimes you DO need the very best that can be had (Snap-On Torx sockets, Matco splined extractors, and Guhring Cobalt drill bits come to mind), but not always.

If it does the job, doesn't cost a fortune, and doesn't leave blisters, it's for me.

Gear

SawmillJack
11-30-2013, 02:19 AM
I know I must be stoopid but I don't have any boolit molds that are not Lee molds. I haven't been doing it as long as most of the guys here but I have been casting for handguns about four years and just starting rifles. I have only 8 molds so far but they ALL work fine and I'm planning on buying some more. I also use their dies and to be truthful almost everything I use says LEE on it. I could probably afford to pay three times the price but can't see any advantage in it for myself. Maybe if I was reloading 10,000 rounds a month, but I'm not. I know I'm also going to need to buy molds other than Lee's but until I need something they can't provide I'm happy with what I have.

geargnasher
11-30-2013, 03:08 AM
I have had bad moulds with serious defects of both manufacturing and design from almost every manufacturer except for Lee and Accurate. I'm 0-for-two with both of the other two big name custom makers on this site and will never buy another from either of them even though they both resolved the issues in an A++ manner. I must be the only person on the planet who has never had a Lee mould that didn't do exactly what it was supposed to do, most of the time with zero tweaking. Last count I had over 30 of them including several group buy designs.

My only complaint with Lee moulds is they didn't use MY guns to design the boolit shapes. (HAR HAR). If I ever get a lathe I'll just buy something close in a Lee mould when I need one and cut it out to suit me.

Gear

TXGunNut
11-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Worked up? Nah, not me. Simply pointing to the obvious.

Rick

I'm an unabashed Lee fan but I also know there's better stuff out there. There's even better stuff on my bench and I appreciate quality tools, don't mind paying for them. As mentioned above I don't much care for some of his stuff but some is quite innovative. Even if you don't like Lee tools you might consider that it's quite possible Lee's prices keep the prices of the other tools down thru competition. I didn't start with many Lee tools, didn't even buy his book until a year or so ago but I've grown to respect Richard Lee for what he's done for the casting and reloading community.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Rick

I always look at the engineering and features of a product before I consider purchasing it. Take into consideration a Lee reloading press for example...
Its cheaply made,very crude, and prone to breakage. It will serve those that don't wish to reload 10K round in their lifetime and may do so without breaking after the warranty period is over. Spend more money for a well engineered product and get something that can either be sold after I'm in the ground or passed on to my son. As a child I watched my father purchase something of lesser quality than what he actually wanted. I watched him go from the lower end of the quality spectrum to the mid level product and then finally to the product he actually wanted to purchase the first go around the product he didn't think he could justify. The final cost for the three different items far exceeded the cost of the better higher priced item in the long run. From this I learned to either whip out my credit card and purchase what I really wanted or to save until I reached the monitary value and then purchase the item. As a result I own good reloading equipment. Some is used and most is new. What I have will probably not break in the next lifetime or two. Getting back to the lee presses... In my opinion I will not own one based on the design and the quality. I played with one that was setup at the gun store and loaded some ammunition and to be frank I was afraid I was going to break it and have to purchase it.

cbrick
11-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Even if you don't like Lee tools

As I posted earlier in this thread, you've never seen a single post of mine negative about LEE's reloading tools. What you did read of mine is that I have bought my last LEE mold and of that I can assure you.

You have also never seen me post that anyone else shouldn't buy & use LEE molds. I really couldn't care less, have at it if that's what winds your clock. It is however quite amusing to watch the LEE lovers get all wrapped around the axle if anyone makes a post that isn't glowing praise for LEE molds, anyone that isn't singing that praise from the mountain tops is a basher. Perhaps amusing is too weak of a word.

Rick

btroj
11-30-2013, 11:15 AM
In the end it is up to each of us to decide where to spend our money.

I will not buy an other Lee 2 cav mould but the 6 cav just work well for me. I will say that I probably own far fewer moulds than most of the others here with 30 years of casting experience. I generally use a single, maybe a couple, moulds for a certain caliber. I don't own 10 357 moulds.

Like Gear said, buy the right tool for the job. As long as it does what YOU need it to do then it is good enough, isn't it?

I have no desire to try and convince Rick to use a Lee mould and I am sure he doesn't care if I do. Long as we are each satisfied with the results then what does it matter?

Lee fills a valuable niche, they make low cost, decent moulds. Not great moulds, but functional. I have had some great results with some of their designs, just wish the manufacture was a bit better. Lyman makes a nice mould but they keep changing designs, make them undersized for my guns, and don't make the designs I like. RCBS makes nice moulds but the block size is ridiculous. Those huge blocks for a 2 cav 22 mould? Too tiring for me to really like using them.

Buy what you like and use it with pride.

cbrick
11-30-2013, 11:23 AM
In the end it is up to each of us to decide where to spend our money.

Has anyone posted otherwise?

Rick

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 11:56 AM
As I posted earlier in this thread, you've never seen a single post of mine negative about LEE's reloading tools. What you did read of mine is that I have bought my last LEE mold and of that I can assure you.

You have also never seen me post that anyone else shouldn't buy & use LEE molds. I really couldn't care less, have at it if that's what winds your clock. It is however quite amusing to watch the LEE lovers get all wrapped around the axle if anyone makes a post that isn't glowing praise for LEE molds, anyone that isn't singing that praise from the mountain tops is a basher. Perhaps amusing is too weak of a word.

Rick
Your absolutely right in that you have never posted telling someone not to buy or use Lee molds. I however am different in that I have tried them and I do not like their quality and I will state that I do believe there are better quality molds out there and people should consider purchasing them and not the Lee brand.

jmort
11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
I have seen posts such as "All Lee products show be thrown away, they are junk." No specific criticism of a particular item. That is what I object to. I have molds from Accurate, Heavy Metal, Lee Precision and others. All work well for me. As with most, I not fixated with what others buy/use. Categorical denunciations without specific criticism as useless and harmful when a manufacturer/business sponsors this site. Specific criticism is useful, such as the point that the Lee Precision sizers can be "under-sizers" and need to be opened-up.

cbrick
11-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Since you quoted me I have to ask what that may have to do with me? Hhmmm . . . I have never said any such a thing yet you quoted me. I did say that I will never buy another LEE mold and I won't so how do you translate that into all LEE is junk and should be thrown away or LEE sizers (which I recommend BTW) need to be opened up? Hhmmm . . .

Rick

btroj
11-30-2013, 01:48 PM
The Lee push thru sizers are wonderful. I prefer they come in a bit undersized, I can easily make them what I want. Much easier to make them bigger than it is to make em smaller!

If I read Rick correctly he has no use for Lee moulds but isn't generalizing that everything they make is junk. I can somewhat agree with it. I like some of their moulds but not all. They make a great hand held primer tool.

It comes down to a Ford/Chevy argument.

jmort
11-30-2013, 02:03 PM
"Since you quoted me I have to ask what that may have to do with me?"

Your point is well taken.

snuffy
11-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I always look at the engineering and features of a product before I consider purchasing it. Take into consideration a Lee reloading press for example...
Its cheaply made,very crude, and prone to breakage. It will serve those that don't wish to reload 10K round in their lifetime and may do so without breaking after the warranty period is over. Spend more money for a well engineered product and get something that can either be sold after I'm in the ground or passed on to my son. As a child I watched my father purchase something of lesser quality than what he actually wanted. I watched him go from the lower end of the quality spectrum to the mid level product and then finally to the product he actually wanted to purchase the first go around the product he didn't think he could justify. The final cost for the three different items far exceeded the cost of the better higher priced item in the long run. From this I learned to either whip out my credit card and purchase what I really wanted or to save until I reached the monitary value and then purchase the item. As a result I own good reloading equipment. Some is used and most is new. What I have will probably not break in the next lifetime or two. Getting back to the lee presses... In my opinion I will not own one based on the design and the quality. I played with one that was setup at the gun store and loaded some ammunition and to be frank I was afraid I was going to break it and have to purchase it.

You obviously weren't using the Lee classic cast press. The challenger press is most likely what you were using. The classic cast is every bit as strong as the famous RCBS rockchucker. Made in the US of A from scrapped railroad rails, with it all steel linkage, it is very solid.

Another rock solid press from Lee is the classic turret. It too is solid cast iron with the steel linkage. It is the ONLY auto indexing turret made by anybody!

FIND the following;
1. Collet type neck sizer----- only from Lee.
2. Collet type factory crimp die,(rifle)----only from Lee.
3. Auto indexing turret---Again only from Lee.
4 First hand held priming tool---first auto dispensing hand held priming tool--Lee!
5. Trim to length pilot-cutter- and shell holder single caliber--Lee.
6. Universal expander die-Lee.
7. Disc type powder measure-Lee
8. Aluminum bullet molds WITH handles(2 cav)--Lee.
9. Push-though bullet size dies with a way to hold the sized boolits in a hopper-Lee.
10. Simple die lock rings without the need for lock screws, (dadgummit where is that confounded allen wrench!). Lee.
11. Simple, effective lead furnaces @ 1/3 the price of most others.

There's a couple more I'm sure, that are Only made by Lee. New innovations are coming. Lee upgraded the 2 cav molds to use alignment pins just like those on their 6 cav molds. No more formed/extruded AL. pieces, with sideways pins that sometimes fall out.

That said, my bench is a mixture of RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady and some Herters. The on ly failure I've had so far,(50+yrs.) is the universal shell holder for the case spinner. Then, I'm sure it is operator error.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Hmm. I started with an RCBS Ammomaster reloading kit. Still have and use every part of it except the loading block that I donated to my Uncle along with a 'care pack' kit I put together with a Lee loader to get him started reloading for his .45 Colt revolvers. Still use the Lee hand primer and shellholders my stepdad gave me in 1989. I own four Lee progressives and three turrets. I think it's kinda funny to look at the dies I use, though. A Lee Collet sizing die next to an RCBS expanding die, a Forster Micrometer in-line seater die followed by a Lee FCD is typical for my rifle turret heads. I like Lee pistol-caliber seating dies because a .44 Magnum case filled with epoxy putty perfectly fits them and makes a straight-line, boolit-specific seating punch. Cheap and better than any other die maker's .45 dies on the planet. Then there's the Sinclair neck sizers followed by a Lee rifle charging die withe a pistol powder-thru-Expander spud in it, Lee universal expander with a 5/8-18 bolt turned to make a "real" expander, a Forster in-line seater, and lastly an RCBS or Lee crimping die (for fast work with .30-30 or .35 Remington plinking ammo). I can't tell you exactly how many Lee rifle sizing dies I've modified to fit my chambers exactly for minimal sizing of the necks and bodies so my brass is "fireformed" but identical each loading, but it's close to a dozen. I'm an equipment ***** and a cheapskate, but I'll save and spend the money where it counts when it matters. The trick is knowing WHEN it MATTERS.

A good and wise friend of mine once commented about cheap tools: You don't always need the BEST tool, you just need the CORRECT tool. Sometimes you DO need the very best that can be had (Snap-On Torx sockets, Matco splined extractors, and Guhring Cobalt drill bits come to mind), but not always.

If it does the job, doesn't cost a fortune, and doesn't leave blisters, it's for me.

Gear

great idea for homemade internals for a Lee seater die. Thanks for the idea.

Smoke4320
11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Way back in 1977 I started reloading with the original Lee loader and hammer.. probably loaded 200 30-06 rds with that hammer/loader over the next 2 years before I graduated to a RCBS Rock chucker.. Without the lee loader I probably would have NEVER started down this long satisfying road.. to this day almost all my primers are seated with a lee hand primer, a few dies are lee with RCBS lock rings, probably have 10 lee molds and several other lee tools
like all companys they make some good and some bad items
Would not have a lee scale or powder measure but that's just me :)

jcwit
11-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Would not have a lee scale or powder measure but that's just me :)

Funny, but the Lee Powder Measure has been proven to be one of the most accurate mass produced measures out their.

Note:
http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/cartridges-calibers/35463-powder-measure-accuracy-thread.html
http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/cartridges-calibers/35463-powder-measure-accuracy-thread.html

Love Life
11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I do like their perfect powder measure. It just works, and works accurately. I also like their autodisk measures for certain powders, and they even work on a Dillon 550B.

JeffinNZ
12-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Rick certainly makes some interesting observations. I wonder if the quick defences of Lee [products is a factor of supporting the underdog? Certainly a lot of folk are grateful for the cost effective start in loading. Of course Lee have never claimed to be the best so it's a mute point saying they are not. Case in point, Lee moulds NEVER feature in the winning results of CBA matches but very few CB shooters shoot matches so.... Anyways, interesting discussion.

geargnasher
12-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Never claimed to be the best? Who, Richard Lee? HAHAHAHHAA! That guy is so full of himself and his best-o-everything products it makes me want to vomit sometimes. Just reading through Modern Reloading is an exercise in self-control to not throw the book against a brick wall sometimes. BUT........the innovative, inexpensive and very, VERY effective products have done more to facilitate my casting and reloading than all others, combined. Lee has a few of the WORST products I've used (zip trim, scale, and zip trim come to mind) but also some of the very best to be had at any price (Classic Turret and rifle FCD come to mind), and a lot of nice, affordable, serviceable tools in-between.

I keep waiting for Lee Precision to invent a press-mounted, nose-first, push-through luber/sizer that would be priced at about $79. I'm not asking for it even to be auto-injection like a Star, just a horizontal hollow-stick reservoir with a big T-handle would do, but I'm sure Lee could come up with something that bumped a lube pump at the top of the ram stroke via a sliding sleeve if they wanted to. If they can invent a case feeder and Pro Autodisc that works as well as they do a lube-sizer should be a snap. Maybe the holdup is they can't make one that would hold up out of plastic and pot metal.

Gear

Recluse
12-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Its cheaply made,very crude, and prone to breakage. It will serve those that don't wish to reload 10K round in their lifetime and may do so without breaking after the warranty period is over.

This kind of pure, unadulterated bravo-sierra is why my Ignore List probably should have a coffee maker and porta-potty.

Anyone who has been around Cast Boolits for any length of time knows I am most definitely NOT a Lee choirboy, especially after my experience with the Classic Cast. They made good on it and it now works exactly as advertised and how it should and it is still--albeit, reluctantly--on my loading bench.

However, the "prone to breakage" and "for anybody who doesn't want to reload (more than) 10K rounds in their lifetime" garbage is simply sheer ignorant prejudice spoken out of intentional delusion.

My own Lee Challenger has loaded well over 30K rounds of necked ammunition--more than the Rockchucker I gave to a guy I served in the sandbox with in '91 who came home with two broken legs and who I taught to reload during his recovery period. I gave him a lot of stuff off my bench of all colors, including Lee, and he still has it all and has used it a LOT.

I have a Classic Cast single stage and a Classic Turret. Neither one of them will break in my lifetime, my son-in-law's lifetime, or my grandsons' lifetimes. That is not to say that I was pleased with the QC that didn't exist when they came out of the box, but quality control and engineering and breakage or separate components.

I've sent three RCBS .223 sizing dies back for stuck cases. Have never sent back a Lee or Hornady .223 die. So do I rag on RCBS and call them junk? No way. Have too much of their stuff.

I had to send my first 550 back to Dillon because something had been machined incorrectly. Do I rag on Dillon? No way (only about price :) ).

I broke a Hornady collet bullet puller and got ALL kinds of upset. Wrote Steve Hornady and was mad and made a complete A-double-S out of myself because it seems I had bought a bullet puller that had been returned to the retailer, mistakenly restocked as it had a missing component to it. AND. . . had I read the damn instructions, I would've discovered that PDQ and would not have broken the handle, etc etc. I wrote a heartfelt apology to Steve Hornady and even posted it publicly here.

Lee has stuff I flat just do not like. They have stuff that I flat marvel over the engineering genius of. My primary and number one gripe about Lee is the lack of consistent quality control and the fact that when you contact them, they treat you as though you are a novice reloader. Dillon, RCBS, Hornady and Redding certainly do not treat you like that.

But to say that Lee presses are prone to breakage and only for folks who have no intention of loading any decent amounts of ammo is about as ignorant of a thing as I have ever read on the internet, and that's saying a lot. Hell, I've got over 100K in 9mm and 38 Special on an old Pro1000 that is being retired for a soon-to-come 650. My Classic Turret already has over 10K just in .45 ACP and .44 Special on it. I do not see any breakage in the Classic Cast single stage press in the next three lifetimes.

There's an American Legion buddy of mine in west Texas who has over 50K of .223 and .308 on his little Lee Challenger.

Some folks can tear up an anvil and ruin a crowbar given how they treat and handle tools. I grew up on a ranch. If you mistreated or neglected or abused your tools, there was hell to pay. For one, money was always tight and there wasn't money to keep replacing tools because someone had a mentality of "Hell, if they're worth anything at all, they'll stand up to any abuse I can give them." Two, if you broke some of your tools and you were on horseback several miles from the nearest line shack or house, it was a long ride back simply to get another set of cutters. And three, most of the tools were hand-me-downs of several generations. You treated those tools with respect and took care of them and in turn, they lasted.

SMH. . .

I do like their perfect powder measure. It just works, and works accurately. I also like their autodisk measures for certain powders, and they even work on a Dillon 550B.

Love the disk measure and my perfect powder measure is still my number one go-to measure. I like my Redding, had a Hornady and an RCBS and traded them both off as neither one would throw the variety of powders as consistently accurate as my little $20 Lee would. Granted, I've had the thing for thirty years and it is very well broken in and smooth. Don't know how the new ones are but I do know mine is the absolute champ of all the loading benches I have.

Rick certainly makes some interesting observations. I wonder if the quick defences of Lee [products is a factor of supporting the underdog? Certainly a lot of folk are grateful for the cost effective start in loading. Of course Lee have never claimed to be the best so it's a mute point saying they are not. Case in point, Lee moulds NEVER feature in the winning results of CBA matches but very few CB shooters shoot matches so.... Anyways, interesting discussion.

I remember Rick had a major issue with Redding some years back and at the time, he was seriously considering swearing off all Redding equipment. But, I never recalled him saying all Redding stuff was junk. The issue was over QC for a certain press and an errant customer service rep, if I recall correctly.

Bottom line? Lee definitely has a place in the reloading and casting world. I like the company which is why I reserve the right to grumble mightily about their on again/off again QC. And as a retired advertising and marketing executive who carefully nurtured many a brand's reputation and image for many years, I agree with DOB (Dean of Balls) about no company should be so thin-skinned about implied or otherwise criticism. The feedback some companies get from the post-doctorate experience found here at Cast Boolits would cost them dearly if they were to consign that research.

As many have said, Lee's price point offers a tremendous amount of reloaders and casters an entry point into the hobby. For many, Lee's equipment is all they will ever need and it will serve them well over the years. Other reloaders and casters may demand a better level of "fit and finish" that would challenge Lee's ability to meet entry-level price points. And others are fanatically loyal to their own preferred colors and brands.

That's what makes our world keep spinnin' around.

:coffee:

WILCO
12-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Never claimed to be the best? Who, Richard Lee? HAHAHAHHAA! That guy is so full of himself and his best-o-everything products it makes me want to vomit sometimes. Just reading through Modern Reloading is an exercise in self-control to not throw the book against a brick wall sometimes.

WoW Gear! That was really difficult for me to read. I really enjoyed Richard Lee's book. It's well written and seemed as if I was spending time with an old friend. The very first reloading bench and cartridge I put together, was done under his written tutelage. One last thing about Richard Lee: He makes it very clear in his book, that he's promoting the products of LEE Precision. Seems like a natural thing to do since he founded the company.

Bottom line? Lee definitely has a place in the reloading and casting world.

+1 on that Recluse.

Rooster59
12-01-2013, 07:25 AM
All this because someone noticed the Lee banner ad wasn't appearing for a period and speculated on the reason?!

Makes some of the posters here seem a bit like the ranchers in the opening scene of "Hang Em High".

Bad Water Bill
12-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I am with you 100% JD

Perhaps I should send him a "Herters Reloading Manual" that has been sitting on my bench for OVER 40 years. Now there were 2 brothers he should have met.

In my conversations with MR Lee over the years I never felt like I was being talked down to. More like 2 folks sitting at a campfire having a good old fashion talk.

AND what other company can offer a complete reloading setup (that will NOT break the bank) for a beginner?

When we started tinkering with cars etc most of us went to the local hardware store for our tools. As we LEARNED more we discovered Craftsman,Snapon etc and started educating ourselves.

We never complained how the local hardware store ripped us off but were glad that we had the opportunity to find out for ourselves weather pulling wrenches was for us or not and at an affordable price.

MOST of us were smart enough to realize we were not going to get a Rolex for a Timex price tag.

No I did not get started in reloading using Lee stuff but have recommended their products to many many new folks and will continue to do so. .

ubetcha
12-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I too have a sea of orange,red and green on my bench. I started reloading in the early 80's and started out with Lee. I even shot on a pistol league with Dick Lee. I have had zero problems with any Lee products. The perfect powder measure works great. The only thing I don't like about it is the flimsy stand. Too much flexing for me. But it works and works correctly. I also don't care for the powder scale. My brother has one and he likes it. I think is too hard to set properly. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's junk. I have a RCBS 505 and a Hornady electronic. To each his own.
I need to edit this post about the powder measure. It's not the stand but the body it's self.Regardless,it still works

jcwit
12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Never claimed to be the best? Who, Richard Lee? HAHAHAHHAA! That guy is so full of himself and his best-o-everything products it makes me want to vomit sometimes. Just reading through Modern Reloading is an exercise in self-control to not throw the book against a brick wall sometimes.

Ya, he toots his own horn but then I never walked into a McDonalds and saw signs telling me how much better the burgers were at Burger King either.

shooterg
12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
The Lee Challenger I started with is still used for oddball calibers. The Square Deal, 550, and the Corbins handle most of my stuff now, but I ain't giving the Lee away ! Only problem I ever had with Lee was some older dies were too short/not enough thread on 'em to work as issued on the 550. The boolits cast with the Lee molds I have work fine, maybe not as good as the H&G 68 mold, but my .45's can't tell the difference.
Glad to see they're still with us.

6bg6ga
12-01-2013, 09:55 AM
You obviously weren't using the Lee classic cast press. The challenger press is most likely what you were using. The classic cast is every bit as strong as the famous RCBS rockchucker. Made in the US of A from scrapped railroad rails, with it all steel linkage, it is very solid.

Another rock solid press from Lee is the classic turret. It too is solid cast iron with the steel linkage. It is the ONLY auto indexing turret made by anybody!

FIND the following;
1. Collet type neck sizer----- only from Lee.
2. Collet type factory crimp die,(rifle)----only from Lee.
3. Auto indexing turret---Again only from Lee.
4 First hand held priming tool---first auto dispensing hand held priming tool--Lee!
5. Trim to length pilot-cutter- and shell holder single caliber--Lee.
6. Universal expander die-Lee.
7. Disc type powder measure-Lee
8. Aluminum bullet molds WITH handles(2 cav)--Lee.
9. Push-though bullet size dies with a way to hold the sized boolits in a hopper-Lee.
10. Simple die lock rings without the need for lock screws, (dadgummit where is that confounded allen wrench!). Lee.
11. Simple, effective lead furnaces @ 1/3 the price of most others.

There's a couple more I'm sure, that are Only made by Lee. New innovations are coming. Lee upgraded the 2 cav molds to use alignment pins just like those on their 6 cav molds. No more formed/extruded AL. pieces, with sideways pins that sometimes fall out.

That said, my bench is a mixture of RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady and some Herters. The on ly failure I've had so far,(50+yrs.) is the universal shell holder for the case spinner. Then, I'm sure it is operator error.

Looks like someone is brainwashed

I'll just pick out a few to poke fun at ...Auto indexing turret...What the 650 Dillon isn't auto indexing? Mine seems to rotate to the next station.

Disc type powder measure..... Don't like them the Dillon is adjustable without being locked down to a specific charge.

Aluminum bullet molds with handles..... You can keep them. I have Magma and Ballisti-Cast bullet manufacturing equipment.

Simple lock rings....too bad they don't lock in there the same any two times making adjustments necessary. I like the allen wrench type and I'm organized enough to keep the allen wrench with the press.

Simple lead furnaces.......yes, the drip-0-matics. I owned one for 20 some years only to have it empty its contents on my bench. Good one minute and empty the next.

zardoz45
12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
No you don't seem to be bashing Lee, you just bash the people who like their products

Newtire
12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
:drinks:Boy, you can sure tell winter is here. Never seen such a bunch of grouchy guys except here at winter-time. I mayself am getting cabin fever. It's raining and the shooting range is all mud and I really need to get out of the house!

By the way...Jeff in NZ says... Originally Posted by JeffinNZ
"Case in point, Lee moulds NEVER feature in the winning results of CBA matches but very few CB shooters shoot matches so.... Anyways, interesting discussion."

If the members of this board count in as cast bullet shooters, A Ranch Dog flat-point won the long range offhand gong shoot at the 2013 Winnemucca cast boolit shoot. I know, I loaded them and Obbssd1958 won the shoot with them.

Hardcast416taylor
12-01-2013, 11:48 AM
If nobody bothered to look the LEE red products sign is still on the top of the page along with the other sponsors.Robert

TXGunNut
12-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Never claimed to be the best? Who, Richard Lee? HAHAHAHHAA! That guy is so full of himself and his best-o-everything products it makes me want to vomit sometimes. Just reading through Modern Reloading is an exercise in self-control to not throw the book against a brick wall sometimes. BUT........the innovative, inexpensive and very, VERY effective products have done more to facilitate my casting and reloading than all others, combined. Lee has a few of the WORST products I've used (zip trim, scale, and zip trim come to mind) but also some of the very best to be had at any price (Classic Turret and rifle FCD come to mind), and a lot of nice, affordable, serviceable tools in-between.-Gear

I've noticed Richard Lee is a tireless self-promoter but I've grown to like his equipment and appreciate his expertise more over the last few years. At one time I disagreed with him on several points but have discovered I was wrong on a few of them. ;-)
Zip Trim? It's a cheap, silly-looking piece of junk! I need to buy another one, tho, because I can't imagine being without it. The universal shellholder's secret has evaded me so far so I use the shell holder that comes with the collet. I've trimmed & deburred thousands of cases with that silly little thing and considering the volume and type of loading I do I can't think of a better method.

Hamish
12-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Way to go Newtire and Obbssd1958!

100%, no way, no how, could I have started reloading without Lee products. Most of my stuff is Lee, alway's will be.

First time I ever set up .45acp with the little Reloader Press, I bypassed the "Destructions", and in trying to final crimp proceeded to put probably at least 100 pounds of pressure on it, not once, but several times. Insane amount of pressure. (never reloaded again while tired) I did finally break it, but I could not believe it took the abuse as many times as it did.

And Lee replaced it as soon as I presented it for warranty claim years later, by email no less.

Yeah, Mr. Lee can come across as arrogant and a grandstander, but you know what? There would be a *bunch* of folks on here badmouthing a certain little stubborn, self aggrandizing, self promoting pistola shooter, if he were still around. (RIP Elmer, I wish I'd a knowed ya)

Certainly not excusing the problems with quality at times with certain products, and how guy's kept from pulling their hair out over a couple of the Group Buy's I'll never know. Lot of folks tend to completely ignore the fact that American industry is a crazy game to be in, and Lee is holding their own seems like. May they continue to prosper.

helice
12-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I didn't start with Lee. It all began with Herter's for me. Then a Rock Chucker, a Lee C press, an RCBS Jr, a Lee O press and a Dillon 550b and a Lyman Spartan (a gift from Gus). I have given away half a dozen of the Lee O presses to men who wanted to get started loading, together with dies, scales and plastic spoon and moulds. I believe it is important to have a spare Challenger press sitting on my shelf so that when a man asks me how to reload I have something to give to him. I can't afford to give way an RCBS or a Corbin or a Redding. Sure they are great stuff, but Lee gives me the opportunity to give it away to get others started without cramping my wallet and upsetting my wife. If you have a copy of Richard Lee's first edition Loading manual look in the back of the book. John Lee gave a half off coupon for starting a man in reloading. I got my nephew-in-law a turret press, dies, moulds, etc for half price just to get him started. It's hard for me to complain about someone who has given so much to a sport I love so dearly. I will continue to stock Lee presses and give them away as often as I can. If the new loader wants to upgrade that's up to him. No one has ever come back and complained to me for giving them a Lee.
Your servant,
Karl
P.S. I recommend stocking Challenger Presses and giving them away. How else will we keep our sport going? Do onto others......

jmort
12-01-2013, 01:37 PM
"If nobody bothered to look the LEE red products sign is still on the top of the page along with the other sponsors."

Yes, someone did, it is in the thread. The banner went MIA for few days and I missed it. Click on it often. Then it returned thankfully.

"It's hard for me to complain about someone who has given so much to a sport I love so dearly. I will continue to stock Lee presses and give them away as often as I can."

I agree. God bless Richard Lee, Lee Precision and may God Bless you for getting people started. Your point about the half price offer in the older version of Modern Reloading is a good one. No other company has done so much for reloaders.

snuffy
12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Looks like someone is brainwashed

Looks like someone who won't accept the truth!

I'll just pick out a few to poke fun at ...Auto indexing turret...What the 650 Dillon isn't auto indexing? Mine seems to rotate to the next station.

I was referring to "other turrets". It's NOT a progressive, close but it's faster than other turrets.

Disc type powder measure..... Don't like them the Dillon is adjustable without being locked down to a specific charge.

So is the Lee when using the adjustable charge bar,(it replaces the disc), and can be fine tuned to dispense the exact amount of powder you want.

Aluminum bullet molds with handles..... You can keep them. I have Magma and Ballisti-Cast bullet manufacturing equipment.

I never said they were the best, just a package deal. All-in-one, no separate handles needed. Now tell the beginner caster he has to spend well over 100 bucks to buy just one mold, then find the "special handle for each mold. He'll say nuts to that %#&*, never start casting.

Simple lock rings....too bad they don't lock in there the same any two times making adjustments necessary. I like the allen wrench type and I'm organized enough to keep the allen wrench with the press.

Too bad you never found out how they work. Neither did I until I was ranting about the junky "lock rings" on another forum. The O ring is made to jam the lockring/nut to the die, takes the place of a set screw. If you then loosen the die by means of turning just the lock ring, the die remains set, it'll return to it's previous setting "IF" you only turn the lock ring. Notice the seater and FL dies have flats on their top. That's so you can hold the die while you turn the lock ring down tight. Then always remove the die by ONLY turning the lock ring.

Simple lead furnaces.......yes, the drip-0-matics. I owned one for 20 some years only to have it empty its contents on my bench. Good one minute and empty the next.

Me too! That's with the 10# production pot. I had 2 of them, until I bought the pro 20, now have 2 of them. They drip very little, because I keep my alloy clean, and I added ½ pound of weight to the valve.

The same can be said about every provider of casting and loading equipment. Does Lee produce more lemons that other manufactures? It sure seems like it! Is their quality control lacking? Yes, no doubt about it. But as someone said, they bring us functional equipment below what others charge, the difference is the lack of 100% final inspection.

I bought a classic cast press, the second one I got because I gave the first one to my son for his loading set-up. I attempted to set-up the EZ-prime, no way I could see it fitting. I finally determined that the head of the ram is threaded to the main body of the ram. It was factory assembled 180 degrees from where it belonged! Simply turning it to it's correct position solved the problem. I emailed lee to ask if I should leave it that way, they said they would look into it and get back to me. I got a call the next day saying it would work fine like that. (The threads are a very tight fit, no slop in them, so it will maintain that position.) When someone assembled the ram to it's linkage, it was put in backwards. The pin that holds the ram to the link is pressed in real tight. I'm sure with a strong press, I could get it apart, don't have access to one just now.

Newtire
12-01-2013, 02:43 PM
You talk about a person being full of themselves, the old Herter's catalogs were full of George's "World Famous" products. I know that their boats weighed a ton and the decoys they sold were the best you could get at the time. They sold some real good product but the descriptions were a crackup! I'm surprised he never ran for Governor of Minnesota! Compared to the long ago Herter's, Cabela's are lightweights. Seems alot of the writers from that era were similar. I really miss those catalogs!

Idaho Mule
12-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Never claimed to be the best? Who, Richard Lee? HAHAHAHHAA! That guy is so full of himself and his best-o-everything products it makes me want to vomit sometimes. Just reading through Modern Reloading is an exercise in self-control to not throw the book against a brick wall sometimes. BUT........the innovative, inexpensive and very, VERY effective products have done more to facilitate my casting and reloading than all others, combined. Lee has a few of the WORST products I've used (zip trim, scale, and zip trim come to mind) but also some of the very best to be had at any price (Classic Turret and rifle FCD come to mind), and a lot of nice, affordable, serviceable tools in-between.-Gear

I've noticed Richard Lee is a tireless self-promoter but I've grown to like his equipment and appreciate his expertise more over the last few years. At one time I disagreed with him on several points but have discovered I was wrong on a few of them. ;-)
Zip Trim? It's a cheap, silly-looking piece of junk! I need to buy another one, tho, because I can't imagine being without it. The universal shellholder's secret has evaded me so far so I use the shell holder that comes with the collet. I've trimmed & deburred thousands of cases with that silly little thing and considering the volume and type of loading I do I can't think of a better method. Tx, that universal shellholder is great. I chuck mine up in a cordless drill and it fits any case. All one has to do is change the length guage for the particular case. The cutter is too small to hang onto so I crimped mine into a .50 BMG case and now I can hang onto it. JW

Springfield0612
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I look at it as, "To each their own." I made my choice, it was mine to make, it belongs to me. It does not belong to you, it does not affect you, why do you care?

People who spend large amounts of money on products feel like they have a sense of entiltlement to judge others on similar decisions. It has been proven by science and verified by the internet and if you'd like, I'll make it Facebook official. http://www.fa-mag.com/news/wealth-breeds-feelings-of-entitlement--narcissism--researcher-says-15272.html

People who are vegitarian, or drive smart cars or hybrids. They feel because they have made this huge sacrifice and are doing so much to help the world they are entitled to judge others. This too is true in the world of shooting sports and reloading. I can't count how many times I've walked into a gun store who has a "Team Glock" banner in the window, with 3 or 4 more inside the store, and all employees are wearing Glock t-shirts, and are wearing Glocks on their hips. You ask them about a different brand of gun, be ready for the lecutre and judgement. I've had employees stop talking to me and walk away because I didn't buy into the Glock cult mindset. Most Glock owners I know are also snobs. If you don't own and shoot a Glock you are not their equal. Same is true with reloading. Someone who spends $1000's of dollars on a reloading setup feels entitled to judge others, they feel the need to constantly defend their decision to spend so much money on parts and equipment. But why? Well knowing that I spent $1000's of dollars when I could have gotten other equpiment as well that will do the job for pennies on the dollar I'd feel the need to defend that decision as well. Why spend the money on a Mercedes when a Kia will get me the same place? The last question that needs to be answered is, "How do you not constantly offend people and alienate them?" Simple, "To each their own."

You think less of me because I buy and use Lee Products (This attitude is socially acceptable because I purchased and own some of the least expensive equipment available and you own more expensive equipment. Our society has declared that you are in the right because you have paid for that opinion.) Now lets turn the tables, "I think you're quite silly for spending so much money because to you a higher price tag equals higher quality." (This is not socially acceptable behavior because someone who has a smaller financial investment is critisizing someone who has spent thousands of dollars. I have not paid to be able to have an opinion.)

If you don't like Lee I don't care, if you do I don't care. But what bugs me is people who push their opinions on others because their feelings of entitlement based off of the monetary value of their equipment. If you bleed Lyman yellow, Dillon blue, Hornady red, or any other color I don't care, do you know why? "To each their own." I made my choice, it was mine to make, it belongs to me. It does not belong to you, it does not affect you, why do you care? If you don't like my decision, my equipment, my choices and I didn't ask you about it, I don't care to hear about it. If you want to analyze my decisons and pass judgement on me expect the same in return.

So in conclusion to all the Lee bashers. You think I and others are wrong for owning and buying Lee. I think you are silly for spending thousands of dollars to make yourself feel better. :violin: To each their own.

cbrick
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
:groner:

Now there is somebody that simply doesn't get it.

But that is exactly what I have posted, if your not singing the praises of LEE you are a basher. If you buy anything but LEE you are a basher and now we can throw in snob too.

Thank you Springfield for making my point so clearly. Here we are on page 6 and 114 posts and the only ones saying anything like that are the LEE lovers trying to convince you that's what the so called LEE basher's are saying. Nobody did cept you.

That's the value of threads like this, it's better than Comedy Central on TV.

Rick

Big Tuna
12-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I also like Lee loaders. I still have my Lee hand loaders (38/357 & 45) & still use them to this day. That's a lot of loading when you consider that I started back in the '70s. I don't cast any more, but I still like to reload. I have about 800 rounds loaded up & ready to go. I guess I got my money's worth out of those hand loaders. A lot of tapping also.lol

geargnasher
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm still under the delusion that giving my fair and honest opinion of things I've used in a thread where so much prejudice and hyperbole exists might actually help someone.

Gear

fatnhappy
12-02-2013, 11:52 PM
... and verified by the internet ......

that's as far as I got in your rant before I broke out laughing. Thanks.

Love Life
12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Somebody wasn't hugged enough as a child...

Springfield0612
12-02-2013, 11:55 PM
that's as far as I got in your rant before I broke out laughing. Thanks.

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it!

btroj
12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm still under the delusion that giving my fair and honest opinion of things I've used in a thread where so much prejudice and hyperbole exists might actually help someone.

Gear

Reason in an internet discussion? Are you delusional?[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Love Life
12-03-2013, 12:04 AM
I wish Lee sold shurikens.

sparky45
12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/paidad/leeprec.gif

It's baaaack!!!

Rooster59
12-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Gear

+1 Didn't realize I had a fellow alumni here from the Don Quixote Prep School. :)

cbrick
12-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Same here, I am not a professional gun scribe that says everything they write about is the best thing since pop corn just because that product advertises in the gun rag. If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's a duck even if LEE lovers firmly believe it's a swan.

Rick

Hang Fire
12-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Another vote for Lee, started out with the Lee classic hand loaders many years ago and still find Lee products the best "Bang" for the buck!

Ditto on the whackem Classic HL, bought my first in the early 1960s.

I especially like the cast iron SS press, use it for working up loads, nose first boolit sizing and numerous other things.

zardoz45
12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Same here, I am not a professional gun scribe that says everything they write about is the best thing since pop corn just because that product advertises in the gun rag. If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's a duck even if LEE lovers firmly believe it's a swan.

I'm starting to believe you don't like Lee products :)

cbrick
12-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm starting to believe you don't like Lee products :)

If you had read my posts you would understand that I've never said an ill word about LEE reloading products, some I even recommend. I don't like LEE molds and have bought my last one several years back. That has no bearing on accurately describing something for what it is. Accurately describing something is not bashing it, it is being truthful about it whether LEE lovers like it or not.

See how simple that is. :mrgreen:

Rick

Down South
12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Lee is back but I haven't seen Cabin Tree around in a long time?

Echo
12-08-2013, 01:02 PM
My very first attempt at reloading was with a Lee Easy-Loader in 357 Mag. My first casting effort was with a Lee 38-140 SWC mold, Lee drawn steel pot (which I still have) and ladle, with Lee pan-loobing setup. All this about 40+ years ago. And I still have Lee equipment that I use, and will purchase more when I feel like it.

cbrick
12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I still have Lee equipment that I use, and will purchase more when I feel like it.

Odd thing to say. Has anyone suggested that you shouldn't?

Rick

geargnasher
12-10-2013, 11:18 PM
You know what's funny, Rick? I feel exactly the same way about NOE that you do about Lee. Now don't go "fanboy" on me now.....

Gear

TXGunNut
12-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Gear

I guess I'm suffering the same delusion. My point is that some folks think you can't buy quality loading & casting equipment at Lee's price point. I just try to show them that I have had good service from most of the Lee products I have. When I bought most of my reloading equipment I had decades (hopefully) of reloading ahead of me (and disposable income) so I didn't figure it mattered much what I paid if it last me the rest of my life, and most quality hand tools will do just that if properly used & cared for. I turned up my nose to most Lee products when I got started, just don't want other beginners making the same mistake.
I actually prefer other brands over Lee much of the time but I've learned to take a hard look at Lee's offerings, sometimes it pays off!

Gunload Master
12-11-2013, 03:48 AM
We have a great relation with lee precision and they are a great sponsor of our website. Any downtime with their banner is a software glitch.

762 shooter
12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
^^^^^^ Now that's someone that only posts when he has something to contribute. 2 posts in 8 years!!:kidding:

cbrick
12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
You know what's funny, Rick? I feel exactly the same way about NOE that you do about Lee. Now don't go "fanboy" on me now..... Gear

Fanboy? Hhmmm . . . Dunno what that means. Must be a Texan expression. :mrgreen:

Rick