PDA

View Full Version : Bad start to a casting sesson

josper
11-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I was just getting started setting up and the very first wack of the sprew plate a piece of sprew flew off and hit me in the Addams apple. If this wasn't bad enough it then dropped inside my shirt. So then I'm doing a dance to grab the piece with my shirt cause it was burning me every time it moved. It would almost have been funny if it didn't hurt so much.

472x1B/A
11-27-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry, but that's funny there.

454PB
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I've had a few drop inside my gloves......it's amazing how fast gloves can be removed.

Sensai
11-27-2013, 02:25 PM
And yet another good reason not to "whack" the sprue plate. Both my molds and I are a lot happier since I learned, from the knowledgable people here, to open the sprue plate with my gloved hand. Best wishes

John Allen
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
I always used to whack the sprue plate. I now just use my gloved hand. I am surprised how easy it cuts the sprue.

josper
11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm going to try that next time around.

paul h
11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
The worst part is your mold probably got cold enough that the next cast came out wrinkly.

I had a worse experience last weekend. I keep an ingot mold under my furnace to catch the drips that come from over-filling the sprues. Somehow the drip managed to hit the devider in such a way that a small bit of lead shot straight at my eyes. I was able to close them just in time, but that was a very near miss.

AlaskanGuy
11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Then it is a lesson well learned...lol... Seems like i learn lessons better and remember longer when a bit of pain is involved...

bangerjim
11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
That's a NO on the whacking! Never-----ever.

Treat your molds with respect and they will respect you and last a l-o-n-g time.

banger

Dale in Louisiana
11-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Would've made a good YouTube video.

I've not done it with lead, but I've had welding slag hit some inopportune places.

dale In Louisiana
(who left welding behind for electrical work because there are fewer sparks)

ultramag
11-27-2013, 05:38 PM
And yet another good reason not to "whack" the sprue plate. Both my molds and I are a lot happier since I learned, from the knowledgable people here, to open the sprue plate with my gloved hand. Best wishes

I'm going to try that next time around.

Please do!

That has to be one of the best pieces of advice I've picked up here. They are so easy to cut by hand and slip right back in the pot with a gloved hand.

10x
11-27-2013, 07:13 PM
That sounds like it would be entertaining. Do you have a video?

One of the most entertaining moments I have caught was a 45 acp case that was ejected and dropped down the cleavage of a buxom lady wearing a tube top.....

imashooter2
11-27-2013, 08:31 PM
The worst part is your mold probably got cold enough that the next cast came out wrinkly.

I had a worse experience last weekend. I keep an ingot mold under my furnace to catch the drips that come from over-filling the sprues. Somehow the drip managed to hit the devider in such a way that a small bit of lead shot straight at my eyes. I was able to close them just in time, but that was a very near miss.

Safety glasses have saved my eyes many times over the years. Glad you came out OK this time.

D Crockett
11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
if you think that is bad drop a hot spew inside of a pare of tight fitting cowboy boots you will do a dance then D Crockett

ubetcha
11-27-2013, 10:41 PM

+1 Imashooter2 .Also wearing a full face shield will protect your entire face. Safety First!!!!!!!!!!!

RogerDat
11-27-2013, 10:49 PM
That sounds like it would be entertaining. Do you have a video?

One of the most entertaining moments I have caught was a 45 acp case that was ejected and dropped down the cleavage of a buxom lady wearing a tube top.....

Had a co-worker that dug a pond which depended on the earth dam made from the excavation, he had a running war with muskrats making tunnels in that dam. One morning he saw one and grabbed a .22 rifle his first shot missed the "rat" but the hot brass landed and stuck between the toes of his bare feet. As did his second shot. Couldn't hit that muskrat but was two for two on giving himself a hot foot.

geargnasher
11-27-2013, 10:54 PM
if you think that is bad drop a hot spew inside of a pare of tight fitting cowboy boots you will do a dance then D Crockett

BTDT.

Gear

Le Loup Solitaire
11-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Whether one uses a gloved hand or another way to get the sprue cutter to cut the sprue...as long as he job gets done is the important thing. As long as the necessary force and no more is applied then that is what counts. There is no reason to whack or beat the sprue plate to get it to cut, nor the mold to get it to drop bullets. A tap should be sufficient if you are using something other than your gloved hand. I have used a wooden dowel. a plastic mallet and a rawhide mallet. Nothing metal should ever be used. Molds should be handled/treated carefully so they do their job well and last a long time. LLS

robpete
11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Though I don't whack, I do use a hammer handle(I buy generic hammers and cut the head off) to tap the sprue plate open. I find this to be a lot more efficient than using a gloved hand. I've just never seem to be able to deliver enough force, with a gloved hand, to keep things moving efficiently. Right or wrong, I've come to prefer light tapping.

For those that do prefer whacking, try connecting your sprues with a thin line lead(from hole to hole). This will create one long spue that will just plop right down when you cut it.

josper
11-28-2013, 10:10 AM
OK ,"Wack" was a poor choice of words. I do not beat my molds to death. I have many molds and none of them are damaged in any way. GEEES lighten up have a beer,eat some turkey, LOL above all Have a grate Thanksgiving with your family.

dondiego
11-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I bought a 4-cavity Lyman mold at a gun show for $20. The reason it was only $20 is because it had been hammered open repeatedly with an iron tool of some sort. I don't know what the guy was doing but the sprue plate was peened to death! It looked like the well used end of an old chisel with the metal peeling over. Luckily the mold blocks and cavities look OK. Haven't cast from it yet.

robpete
11-28-2013, 12:07 PM
GEEES lighten up have a beer.

Lol. I'm currently drinking a beer and casting some 40's......Happy Thanksgiving!

snuffy
11-28-2013, 01:14 PM

I had a worse experience last weekend. I keep an ingot mold under my furnace to catch the drips that come from over-filling the sprues. Somehow the drip managed to hit the divider in such a way that a small bit of lead shot straight at my eyes. I was able to close them just in time, but that was a very near miss.

You mean you're telling us you DON'T wear eye protection while casting!!!???żżż:roll::!::shock: PPE,(personal protection equipment) is mandatory in my casting operation. I don't have to try to remember it, I've had glasses since 3rd grade, now the trifocals are mandatory. I'm considering a face shield for visitors, and for me while smelting.

I also want to try the gloved hands with some heavy welders gloves for shearing sprues. I dunno, as much force that's required from the whacker to shear them now, I don't see how it can work. AND how you can get away with it without getting your hands hot. I always said, I'm not so stubborn that I won't try something new,(to me), so I'll try it next time I fire up my new 358-156 HP mold I just got. Miha's molds are works of art, although they're tough enough to take the tapping, they will last a lot longer if I'm gentle with them.

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2013, 06:41 PM
For those of us that tap on the sprue plate,try this

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/rawhide-mallets-3300-147.aspx

Mine is OVER 25 years young and still going strong.

Never a wood sliver left behind either. :bigsmyl2:

11-28-2013, 07:03 PM
For those of us that tap on the sprue plate,try this

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/rawhide-mallets-3300-147.aspx

Mine is OVER 25 years young and still going strong.

Never a wood sliver left behind either. :bigsmyl2:

That would work although I prefer my small lead filled rubber mallet.
I would try opening the sprue by hand but I don't wear gloves when casting, I've found any safety benefit out weighed by my lack of dexterity while wearing them. That said safety glasses are a must for me and I do wear gloves smelting.
I guess its what works safely for each of us with our own setups.

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2013, 07:14 PM
What ever works for you is what you should use.:)

I did notice they use water buffalo hides. Mine was made out of MASTODON hide.:kidding:

vintagesportsman
11-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear...

WILCO
11-29-2013, 05:23 AM
GEEES lighten up have a beer,eat some turkey, LOL above all Have a grate Thanksgiving with your family.

Glad you didn't get hurt too badly Josper.

snuffy
11-29-2013, 01:17 PM
591 views now 29 replies.

While my comment and of others were directed at Josper, you have to realize how many people have read this thread. Casting without eye protection is like playing Russian roulette. The thing is; you only get one pair of eyes. Damaging an eye even a little is painful and lasts the rest of your life. Ask me how I know!

Okay, I'll tell you. My family took my 2 month old son to the company picnic. His baby buggy had to be put in the trunk of my 79 firebird. Of course it didn't fit all-the-way-into-the-trunk. I used a bungee cord wrapped around my hitch to hold the trunk lid closed. The bungee came loose, the hook failed to hold. It was under a lot of tension, the steel hook hit my left glasses lens shattering it and driving a piece dead center into my cornea.

The ophthalmologist sewed the cut up, it took 3 moths of daily agony until he could pull the last stitch. It felt like a big chunk of dirt was constantly in the eye.

Result is the scar blurs the image coming into my left eye. I have 20-50 vision, no better. The only thing that would solve it would be a corneal transplant. I can see good enough, not willing to go through a year long misery to improve my vision only a little.

Bottom line, take care of your eyes! Best news is, I'm right handed and right eye dominant, so I can still shoot well, um as good as 67 YO eyes will allow.

josper
11-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Snuffy: I never said what my safety measures were. I had always wore goggles, Just upgraded for a full face shield. I always wear long sleeved shirts ,blue jeans, work shoes, and heavy leather gloves. Now I have added another thing. Always button the top button of your shirt ,LOL. This whole conversation has a good side to it .Guys new to or want to start casting will have a better picture why we bring up the safety subject. Casting has its hazards and we should do every thing we can to prevent an accident and unnecessary pain . Some times even with precautions taken we still get dinged. We just do the best we can.

Brad Phillips
11-29-2013, 06:34 PM
611 with 29 replies, but even the people viewing are thinking of safety.

ACrowe25
12-19-2013, 11:29 AM
+1 Imashooter2 .Also wearing a full face shield will protect your entire face. Safety First!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! I don't even notice mine on anymore.

myg30
12-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I started out here reading a lot, all my free time, never posted much. I've learned a lot and try to share my mistakes with all to learn from as well as learn from others mistakes. I always have safety glasses on, gloves, long pants and try to ware long sleeves in the summer. I'm bad about that. I've had my splatters get me too. Bugs landing into the pot and exploding.
Use heavy gloves for the spruce. Only needed a wood mallet when the mix was real hard and my spruce plate hole was dull !! A nice clean sharp spruce hole will really shear the spruce easily.
Having mold handles on really makes it easy. [ I forgot his name but I never laughed so hard reading bout him not knowing he needed handles]

Merry Christmas all, be safe !

Mike