PDA

View Full Version : TC Arms: G2 or Encore Pistol

Adam10mm
11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
What are the differences I really can't tell from their site? I am looking to get custom barrels for it. I'm designing a wildcat pistol round and to work out ballistics I want a TC pistol, maybe rifle later on if I can adapt it to a repeater.

How much are the bare frames going for?

45nut
11-18-2007, 04:13 PM
G2 is capable of no more than the older Contenders by rule of common sense, the Encore though is chambered in some rather intriguing cartridges as well as rimfires.
If you have plans for something in the 30-30 class you can go with the G2, anything in 308 or more I would go Encore.
Bare frames go from $250-300 average for either.

ktw
11-18-2007, 04:41 PM
What are the differences I really can't tell from their site? I am looking to get custom barrels for it. I'm designing a wildcat pistol round and to work out ballistics I want a TC pistol, maybe rifle later on if I can adapt it to a repeater.

How much are the bare frames going for?

Contender/G2
smaller frame, handgun rounds and 22lr, as well as a couple of the lower pressure rifle rounds like 30-30.

Encore
larger frame, heavier and capable of handling most rifle cartridges, not as easy to set up for rimfire cartridges.

I have a contender set up for 22lr, 30-30 carbine and 30-30 handgun if you would like to take a closer look someday. One of my co-workers has an encore set up as a 50 caliber muzzleloader.

$275-$325 range for a new bare frame.

-ktw

dubber123
11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
One thing to consider is the old Contenders had adjustable triggers, (to a point), and I believe the new G2's and Encores do NOT. A friend has both, and the triggers are around 6 pounds on both. After the season he is boxing them up to send out for trigger work. If you like a light trigger, plan for the worst and figure in a trigger job. I have a new G2 in the works, and it's going directly out for a trigger job. Unless of course it comes through with a 1-1/2 pounder, which I doubt.

oldfart
11-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I have both g-2 and contender
over travel is only adjustment on g-2, its about 3-4 lbs
contender is much better trigger.
I have 223,45 win mag, 44mag , 358jdj and 45-70 barrels
last two are a handful plus !
I also have a 225 win barrel. I almost forgot the 45 cal B/P rifle barrel . I have nothing but good to say about contenders products and service.

James C. Snodgrass
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Mike Belm does the trigger jobs and has a downloadable instructions to do it yourself. I've got one at 17oz and another at 24oz I still do like the old style better ,probably just the difference in the grip or just personal taste.Its hard to beat T/C for service from the factory also.:):)

Adam10mm
11-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys. The wildcat I'm designing will be loaded to the same pressure as the 10mm Auto. The only thing I will let out is bullet diameter is 10mm and OAL is 2.250". I'm saving up to get a reamer made. Going to test it in a TC.

oldfart
11-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I LOVE MINE and you will too

JSH
11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Just so you know before you go saving to buy a reamer. There are not many wildcats that have not been done for the TC's as a whole. I mean from .14's thru .600's.
I would do a lot of looking before I thought I came up with a better mouse trap.
Jeff

hivoltfl
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Encore is a built stronger than the g-2, Encore has a larger hinge pin and the barrels are somewhat larger to make the chamber walls thicker to stand greater pressures. the triggers on them are the same, I have contenders and a g2 my g2 had a horrible trigger and I was fixin to send it out to Mike for some work, I downloaded his instructions and read them very close, I was not IMOP up to the job myself but I was gonna try it, one thing he is adamant about is proper lubrication, hmmmmm
My older brother was one of the best trigger smiths I had ever seen he could make a Smith and Wesson trigger as smooth as melted butter, one of the first things he would tell anyone wanting a trigger job was to dry fire the weapon 500 times, he said this would mark the parts better for him to see exactly where the action needed work, with this stuck in my mind I went out and bought 3 snap caps in 223 and started dropping the hammer towards 500 times.
After about 200 I started noticing that the pull was getting much better, after the prescribed 500 snaps I tore the gun down and gave it a good cleaning and lube, put it back together and it went from over 6 pounds with lots of rough travel to right at 2.5 with very little travel, the gun will suprise you when it goes of if your concentrating on the sight picture, as for why I didnt have my brother do the trigger job, diabetes killed him in 2001, I lost a hunting and fishin buddy and a good smith all in one,

It worked for me, you might want to try it before you pack up your frame and send it off, its cheap and easy to do but your hand will get tired after about 100 snaps so you might want to break it up into several sessions.

Rick

Adam10mm
11-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Just so you know before you go saving to buy a reamer. There are not many wildcats that have not been done for the TC's as a whole. I mean from .14's thru .600's.
I would do a lot of looking before I thought I came up with a better mouse trap.
Jeff

This is a wildcat that will be used in a magazine rifle and AR15. I'm going the TC route as it is an affordable single shot so I can work up loads in it and get an idea of the performance before I plunk down several hundred dollars for an AR15 in this cartridge.