PDA

View Full Version : Question about some of the advice given in this article.

abqcaster
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/11/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/?utm_content=buffer382e1&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=Buffer

He says you can never transfer a firearm to someone who lives in a different sate. Yet, I have read many posts on this site, as well as others of people traveling out of state for a private transfer. There are even ads for firearms stipulating direct transfer in the swappin' and sellin' section here. Along with my own knowledge and experience, I am inclined to believe the author of the article might be in error there.

koehn,jim
11-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I think what he means is you have to go thru a dealer. you cant transfer it to him but you can thru a dealer.

Ickisrulz
11-26-2013, 07:34 PM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

It seems this is the case. See paragraph 5.

MtGun44
11-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Gun made prior to 1899 are not covered by federal laws. If state laws are not violated, and many
states have no restrictions, then you can mail a gun directly to a person.

Bill

starmac
11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
We can mail a gun directly to a person inside the state, but not outside the way I understand it. I have never heard any rules of transferring any gun between private buyers and sellers as long as they are of age and a citizen.

HeavyMetal
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Starmac
and welcome to California, LOL!

Here private party sales must run through an FFL dealer no if ands or buts to be a legal transfer of ownership of a firearm.

It sucks but it is what it is here, retirement can't come to soon but I hope it drags it's feet some, LOL!

starmac
11-27-2013, 12:06 AM
You aren't fixing to welcome me to california, in fact if you ever see me there call the police, and tell them I have been kidnapped. I'm sure I would be breaking some kind of law just crossing the border, even though I have a passport. lol

MaryB
11-27-2013, 12:40 AM
State laws rule and in MN you can ship a firearm directly to another person, or do a face to face sale. Personally if it isn't family I will pay the $20 my FFL charges and transfer it that way

Wayne Smith
11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
And, here at least, I can buy a long gun in a bordering state. I would assume shipping such is equally legal.

jonp
11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Laws vary State to State but generally if you are a non-citizen of a state you can buy a long gun and walk out with it. A handgun you can buy but have to have it shipped to an FFL in your home state.

Know the law in the state you are in before any firearm transfer.

eljefe
11-27-2013, 09:09 PM
"And, here at least, I can buy a long gun in a bordering state. I would assume shipping such is equally legal"

You may buy a long gun in a bordering state, but not from an individual. You may not ship to an individual
who resides in a different state.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#gca-unlicensed-acquire

starmac
11-28-2013, 02:38 AM
I have a dumb question. If you bought a gun from a private individual in a bordering state, how would they know about it if you didn't tell them? We have no bordering states, so it is a moot question here.

Duckiller
11-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Heavy Metal is not quite right as of now. Soon he will be. As of right now there can be a private party trans fer of long guns if the gun is at least 50 years old and a dealer hasn't been used in any way. Bought my first gun at a gunshow early this year. Asked about which dealer we would to transfer gun and was informed of this provision of the law. I took the gun and left the show. I had gone to buy this gun and the show was the only way I knew to find him. Early next year we in California will not be able to transfer this way. Starting in 2014 long guns are being registered by our DOJ. Attorney General says they don't realy register since they don't recheck my address every few years. Since I haven't moved in almost 40 years I consider it registration. In early 2014 the DOJ gets make model and serial number and where I live of all guns sold in the Golden State. Moving has become a real possibility.