PDA

View Full Version : Buying Zinc. Is this a good deal or not?

jonp
11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I was at a place today asking after lead and the man there said that he sold all he had a couple of weeks ago to someone else. I have heard this more times lately than I care to think about.

He did have a barrel of Wheel Weights and I said "Is that so"? I went out to take a look and they were a mixture of zinc and iron/al/etc.. Probably 300lbs or so of them.
He told me I could sort through them if I wanted and he would sell the zinc to me for 60 cents/lb.

If I can trade them even for lead as ShadyGrady has offered is this a good deal or not?

Buckshot
11-27-2013, 12:59 AM
..............Don't know the current market price for zinc, but you can cast boolits with it. There are a few threads here at Cast Boolits dealing with it. Here's one:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/sho ... hp?t=89931

..............Buckshot

birdadly
11-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Also factor in the cost to ship to ShadyGray. $12 for 65lbs or so, will increase your per pound price by about $.20. Still under $1/lb, but more work than buying ingots from the S&S section from time to time. My 2 cents! -Brad

steg
11-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Back in my first years of casting, plumbers pot and Coleman stove, I ran across some factory wad-cutters
I now realize were zinc, I just tossed them in with the melt and they took a very long time to melt. That would cause an increase in the cost of smelting and casting. Probably hard on aluminum molds also..

bobthenailer
11-27-2013, 08:20 AM
IMO NO! to much time sorting & leg work, just buy it allready in ingots from a fourm member

jonp
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I did not mention that I tore some ligaments in my ankle and have been out of work for a few weeks so time is not an issue on this.

40lbs zinc @ .60/lb is $24 + $12.50 shipping is $36.50 or so. Less than $1/lb. And it would give me something to do besides I'm pretty sure that in that 50gal drum there are some Pb, how many I'm not sure but they could not have gotten them all.

jeepyj
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
One other thing to watch for is how much steel weights are in there. I've found about 40% in my most recent sorts are steel.
Jeepyj

jonp
11-27-2013, 03:51 PM
One other thing to watch for is how much steel weights are in there. I've found about 40% in my most recent sorts are steel.
Jeepyj

There are steel ww in the barrel. The guy said he would let me sort through the barrel and then weigh out the zinc I found.

jeepyj
11-27-2013, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=jonp;2496334]There are steel ww in the barrel. The guy said he would let me sort through the barrel and then weigh out the zinc I found.[/QUOTE

He seems reasonable if that's the case. I've traded with shady 7 times so far and it is well worth the time especially if your having a hard time gathering good lead in your area and you've got the time. Generally I PM shady ahead of time to be sure he still needs the zinc so far he has always wanted it. Best of luck
Jeepyj