PDA

View Full Version : please help a new guy

Tswafford
11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Ok I have slugged the barrel on my Ruger .44 rifle, it measures .4305. how do I know what lee mold I need and do I need a sizing die?
Thanks

RickinTN
11-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I only have one lee 44 mold. It is the 310gr gas-checked bullet. From Lee it would not cast that large. It was around .428 to .429 if I remember correctly. I had to lap mine out to get a round .432 bullet. There is a sticky somewhere on the forum about this process. I would suggest a .432 sizing die as well. Lee doesn't make one I don't think but you could take a smaller sizer die and open it up with sand paper on a small dowel with a drill motor or a drill press. Go slowly. I think there is also a sticky about this process. You'll have to have a mold that drops a bullet a little over .432 in order to hone out the sizing die to your wanted dimensions.
Hope this helps,
Rick

Wayne Smith
11-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Save your pennies. Forget getting a Lee mold that fits, that's a gamble unless you buy it used from one of us who has measured the results from casting. Yes, it costs more but when you get a mold from Accurate you determine the diameter of the finished product in the alloy you specify. Tom will cut you exactly what you need. You can go to the Mountain Molds site and do the same thing, designing your own boolit.

Tswafford
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not trying to to be super precision. Myself and my boy are just shooting cans and such.

Larry Gibson
11-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Try the lee C429-240-SWC, get a .430 sizer and some Hornady GCs. Cast your bullets out of an alloy of BHN 10 - 14 and lube with a good soft lube or with LLA following the directions. Load them from plinking level to full bore magnum level. They will do very nicely in your rifle.

Which Lee rifle BTW? If the bolt or lever action then a PB'd cast bullet might be better suited for "cans and such" .

Larry Gibson

Tswafford
11-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Larry. It's the ruger Deerfield 44 auto loader. They haven't made them in quite a few years. I have managed to collect a few of them over the years.