PDA

View Full Version : Lube on crown

Taylor
11-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I happened to notice a build up of lube on the crown of my Scout.Sometimes I would wipe it off,mostly I just left it in place. Is it possible that this could effect accuracy?

felix
11-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Only if the lube does not go evenly should you become concerned. Use a close up reading glass to inspect. The fix would be to re-crown the barrel. Not worth it unless you really care for real. ... felix

Taylor
11-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I guess I should have been more specific,sorry. The lube is from the REAL's and maxi's being inserted into the muzzle. Not from being fired,sorry about that.

mooman76
11-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Use less and/or wipe off excess!

Underclocked
11-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Just wipe off the excess each time - and yes it can affect accuracy.

waksupi
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Just wipe off the excess each time - and yes it can affect accuracy.

Ok, ya gots ta 'splain that one to me. How can lube on the muzzle, affect accuracy? There is no way it can work on the propulsion or projectile, as far as I know. Once the projectile leaves the muzzle, the only things to cause deviation, is wind, and gravity, discounting imperfect bullets.

felix
11-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Ric, escaping gas has much more velocity than the boolit at mutual exit time. The gas must see a uniform expulsion, and must not splash the boolit with a heavier substance to one side of the boolit. Any splash, if any, must be uniform in distribution. Playing with the odds, that's all. I would suggest that a boolit edge failure would take precedence over the lube odds which would make the lube dispersion immaterial. How can we guarantee a boolit shoved down the muzzle was inserted perfectly around the base edge? Using hand techniques, that is. Maybe a "muzzle" seater should be invented by your shop? A lunch hour project? Over several days, months? ... felix

MT Gianni
11-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Is the concern that in loading the Maxi's the lube is being lost from one side of the bullet resulting in an out of ballance? I think it would depend on the amount. Gianni

versifier
11-19-2007, 03:58 AM
While it may well be a concern with a target rifle, the tiny amount it may effect the accuracy on a hunting rifle at reasonable ranges is negligible. Unless the dead deer in your freezer are complaining, I wouldn't give it a second thought. (And if the dead deer are complaining, there's a bigger problem than a little bit of excess lube.) :mrgreen:

Underclocked
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
felix splained it well enough, ah'm thankun. The effect could also be rifle dependent, or rather crown dependent. A recessed crown such as you would see on a QLA type barrel would surely see more effect from lube deposits inside that QLA than would an exposed target crown. The Whites I shoot have a sort of abbreviated funnel crown and the lubes we use can and will cause a shift in impact if allowed to build up on that funnel.