PDA

View Full Version : Plain base GC's

fecmech
11-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I recently purchased some PB checks to play with. Can someone tell me how you get them to stay on the boolit? If I size in my Star they stay in the die while the bullet falls out until the next bullet pushes it out. If I size in my Lyman 450 it sticks to the size die push out rod. Am I doing something wrong or are you supposed to be putting these things back on the base after you size it?

Idz
11-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Are you pressing through the die nose or base first? If the GC fits correctly base first may help

fecmech
11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
If I go base first in the Star I get a slightly cupped GC from the previous bullet that also falls off with any minimal handling.

Gunslinger1911
11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Dosn't sound like the die is sizing things down enough for the pb check to get a bite on the boolet base. Granted, I size with a Lyman 450 - but I find boolets with the pb check still on it after hitting a steel gong (if the load is slow enough and there is anything left )

What does the die size to, what is the boolit diam before / after sizing, what is the ID of the check, how thick is check ?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2013, 12:33 PM
One thing to note, is that PB checks prefer softer boolits. If you are sizing boolits cast with a harder alloy, try sizing them within 24 hours of casting, before they get a chance to age harden.
Jon

williamwaco
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I have never heard of anything like that.

It sounds to me like your gas checks simply don't fit your bullet?

It should take a firm press with your thumb or finger to put the gas check on the base of the bullet and it shouldn't fall off at all.

captaint
11-25-2013, 12:45 PM
I would agree with Mr. waco. I've been given PB gas checks that fit my 9mm boolits perfectly. Put them in the Star base down (after sizing & lubing) and avoid the bottom of the stroke. Works great. They stay on well. Then, I've bought some that were supposed to be for 9mm boolits and they are too big to stay on. Oh, well. Maybe I can use them for 38's, although I certainly don't need them for that. Mike

fecmech
11-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Evidently sizing to .359 (which is what I usually do) is the primary problem. I put a .358 die in my 450 and the checks stay on much better. These checks snap on ok so I think they are the right size. I just bought these on a whim as I'm a PB guy. I just wanted to see if I could gain any accuracy in my lever guns at max loadings with 358429 and an accurate 165E boolits. Thanks for the replies .