PDA

View Full Version : 54 cal patch question

Sasquatch-1
11-24-2013, 01:29 PM
First, does anyone use a gasket cutting punch to make patches for their muzzle loader.
Second, what is the proper diameter patch to use for a 54 cal ball?

Until now I have just been cutting the material off at the crown when patching. Thought I might like to give a go at having a proper size patch.

I am thinking of something like these:

Ohio Rusty
11-24-2013, 02:25 PM
No ... I find a patch that is the right size, cut out a piece of cardboard the same size. I use that as a pattern to draw circles on my patching material and cut out those patches with scissors during the winter setting in the TV room. That last pic you have of the Tandy punch set ..... I have that, but I use it to punch out felt wadd for cap-n-ball pistols and flinter smoothbores. One of those punches cuts out perfect size wads for a 20 gauge smoothie ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Maven
11-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I use the arch punches, but only for felt or cardstock wads. However, those who own a drill press can use them to cut patches. Btw, if you multiply the RB diameter, in this case .530" or .535" by 2.6, you'll obtain the "correct" patch diameter.

waksupi
11-24-2013, 04:48 PM
I rip material in strips, layer 4-5 together, and cut them square. Fast, easy, and cheap.

mooman76
11-24-2013, 04:56 PM
I cut mine in squares also. Rule of thumb is the patch should be able to wrap around the ball. Shorter and you risk the ball moving slightly off the patch as it goes down the bore. Really I just cut a bunch in different sizes because I have 1/2 dz calibers to deal with so I end up with some that fit each of the sizes.

oldgeezershooter
11-24-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.boretech.com/category/cottonpatches.shtml

Check these out.

johnson1942
11-24-2013, 09:35 PM
waksipi, im glad you posted what you did. your very traditional because thats what many did in days gone by. it may be faster and easier but their is another reason both you and i do it that way, it is more accurate. if a shooter pushes a round ball into the muzzle about a 1/8 inch below the muzzle and instead of cutting it off, takes a pen and puts a line around the cloth as if it is a knife to cut it off right at the muzzle, then pulls it out and looks at the line, it is square. it also is the size the shooter needs to make a template from for cutting squares. i first read about it that the old timers did it the very same way you do it in a very old book that i dont remember the name of. thanks for the post, you answered the question and go ahead sasquatch-1 try it.

Sasquatch-1
11-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Well I guess I will save the money and continue use the classic way I have been using for years. Jam the ball and patch in and trim the excess with a knife.

johnson1942
11-25-2013, 10:16 AM
good idea, doesnt get better than that.

sharpsguy
11-25-2013, 11:01 AM
When you cut the patch at the muzzle, the ball is perfectly centered in the patch. This definitely enhances accuracy. Pre cut patches, either round or square, can and usually do cause undiagnosed accuracy problems because the patch and ball do not stay perfectly centered when you start the ball and seat it. The patch will move slightly to one side or the other when you use the short starter to start the ball. I may have two or three pre cut and in my loading block for a quick and dirty emergency re load, but my first shot is always loaded with the patch cut at the muzzle.

waksupi
11-25-2013, 11:32 AM
When you cut the patch at the muzzle, the ball is perfectly centered in the patch. This definitely enhances accuracy. Pre cut patches, either round or square, can and usually do cause undiagnosed accuracy problems because the patch and ball do not stay perfectly centered when you start the ball and seat it. The patch will move slightly to one side or the other when you use the short starter to start the ball. I may have two or three pre cut and in my loading block for a quick and dirty emergency re load, but my first shot is always loaded with the patch cut at the muzzle.

I did some testing of that some years ago. I could detect no difference between a cut-at-muzzle, "perfect" patch, and those I intentionally loaded off centered. As long as the patch surrounded between bore and the ball, and protected it from the lands, it just didn't seem to matter, that I could determine.

Hanshi
11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I use punches to cut out wads and card wads but that's all. For patches I cut ticking strips and then cut that into squares. Fast, easy and works like a charm.

JeffinNZ
11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Cut them square.