PDA

View Full Version : Lyman/Ideal 429421

dubber123
11-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Has anyone noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy in the round vs. square lube groove designs? I want to send one out soon to be Hp'd by Erik, and have both styles. I would normally do the square groove for nostalgia sake, but the round groove casts a little closer to the spec I need. The square may be able to be lapped out, but if it isn't going to gain anything, I needn't bother. Thanks all.

Bret4207
11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Never found a difference related solely to the groove design. But the rounded ones let the boolit drop from the mould easier. I'd be looking more at which one shoots better for me in my guns and make the decision then.

runfiverun
11-23-2013, 09:42 PM
that's how I'd base it too.
I favor square grooves myself because the lube I use doesn't fall out of them in storage.[shrug]

dubber123
11-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured the case would be. I like the older design, just for nostalgia, and the one I have drops nicely, but a thou bigger would be nice so it could serve double duty in a .44 Special I have with .433" throats. I haven't shot much with the round groove version, but it drops perfectly round boolits that are just barely small. I guess I should cast some more from it, and see if I notice a major difference. I'm a bit rusty right now, I doubt I will be able to see a difference.

Shuz
11-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I've had several of the 429421 designs down thru the years and always used the mould that gave me the diameter I was looking for and the ease of casting; not the design of the lube groove.

fecmech
11-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I own 4 cavs in both 358429 and 429421 with the dreaded round lube groove. Somehow they never got the memo that they couldn't shoot well.

MTtimberline
11-24-2013, 12:40 PM
but a thou bigger would be nice so it could serve double duty in a .44 Special I have with .433" throats.

Can't the chosen mold be made to have a larger diameter when worked on by Erik by enlarging the bands

gray wolf
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Can't the chosen mold be made to have a larger diameter when worked on by Erik by enlarging the bands Seems like a dandy plan to me.

GP100man
11-24-2013, 01:23 PM
I have no exp with a square grooved ,but what I`ve gleaned in my bit of research is the square groove design holds more lube , hence the better retention, & is a bit better for longer barreled firearms such as carbines.

In my exp. with 358 boolits in revolvers is that more lube does`nt mean better accuracy.
Barrel length(& otherfirearm related variables),BHN (even the alloy to get to a certain BHN)pressure curves(speed of burn)lubes, all play a part of success in workin up a load.

dubber123
11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Eriks work certainly is inexpensive for the amount of time he has to have involved, and yes, he could enlarge the bands, but I would end up with a $150 1 cavity Lyman mold. I can certainly do a light lapping to the round groove version and get the diameter I want.

My goal is to get an accurate HP design that I can shoot at decent speeds with a softer alloy to promote expansion. I had zero luck with WW alloy performing at handgun speeds, but 50/50 air cooled seems to work great above 850 fps. The extra lube of the square groove version might help with leading, I should test for that. I shot 2 groups yesterday in .44 mag that should have been in the 1,200 fps.+ range with AC 50/50, and was pleased with the accuracy and minimal leading, which surprised me a bit. If the round groove version shoots as well, and doesn't lead, it will probably be the Guinea pig for this experiment.

Shuz
11-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Eriks work certainly is inexpensive for the amount of time he has to have involved, and yes, he could enlarge the bands, but I would end up with a $150 1 cavity Lyman mold. I can certainly do a light lapping to the round groove version and get the diameter I want.

My goal is to get an accurate HP design that I can shoot at decent speeds with a softer alloy to promote expansion. I had zero luck with WW alloy performing at handgun speeds, but 50/50 air cooled seems to work great above 850 fps. The extra lube of the square groove version might help with leading, I should test for that. I shot 2 groups yesterday in .44 mag that should have been in the 1,200 fps.+ range with AC 50/50, and was pleased with the accuracy and minimal leading, which surprised me a bit. If the round groove version shoots as well, and doesn't lead, it will probably be the Guinea pig for this experiment.

dubber123--Have you looked into an MP-Molds clone of the H&G 503? You might be able to pick one of those up for around $120. Then you would have a two cavity mould that would cast hollow point boolits, easily and perhaps with 3 different interchangeable pins. I know I love mine that I bought straight from Miha.

dubber123
11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
dubber123--Have you looked into an MP-Molds clone of the H&G 503? You might be able to pick one of those up for around $120. Then you would have a two cavity mould that would cast hollow point boolits, easily and perhaps with 3 different interchangeable pins. I know I love mine that I bought straight from Miha.

I have had that thought, but it seems any of the GB's I looked at are closed, or many months from being cut. Truth be told I would prefer a RF HP design. I'll have to see if Miha has any in stock. Thanks.

bhn22
11-24-2013, 07:05 PM
NOE shows a handful of 265 gr Ranchdog molds.

GLL
11-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Have Tom at Accurate Molds design a custom mold of the exact style and diameter you want !

Jerry