PDA

View Full Version : smelting pot questions

ffries61
11-23-2013, 12:57 AM
I've been doing my smelting in a dutch oven over a turkey fryer burner, but I want to be able to do larger batches, if I build a vessel 8" square by 10-12" tall, it'll give me about 250lb capacity. My question is, how thick of steel plate would I need to use to be safe ??

Fred

shadowcaster
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
smelting pot questions

I've been doing my smelting in a dutch oven over a turkey fryer burner, but I want to be able to do larger batches, if I build a vessel 8" square by 10-12" tall, it'll give me about 250lb capacity. My question is, how thick of steel plate would I need to use to be safe ??

Fred

If you build it tall and narrow.. you will have trouble fluxing, stirring, scooping, and scraping. There is also the possibility of it being top heavy. Wider and shallower is a much better/safer option. 1/4 inch sides and 5/16 bottom plate handles my 400 pound pot just fine.

Check this link out.. It should give you some ideas.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?146065-New-bottom-pour-smelting-pot!&highlight=bottom+pour+smelting+pot

If you want more details, I have them..

Shad

jmort
11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Use cut propane tank.

WILCO
11-24-2013, 06:55 PM
but I want to be able to do larger batches....

Hi Fred!

Please keep in mind that bigger isn't always better or safer. Keeping your process manageable will ensure a steady supply of ingots.

country gent
11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I perfer larger dia / size and shallower hieght in my pots. I believe you get a better more effient transfeer of heat to the pot. Also I find fluxingis easier with a shallower pot. Just my observations over the years. Whatever way you go make sure it has a dead stable base on it, as skimming fluxing on a smelting pot can tip one thats tippy. 150-300lbs of molten lead spilling could be interesting.

dikman
11-25-2013, 03:52 AM
A round pot will probably be better than a square one - easier to stir and no corners to trap any crud. Shadowcaster's idea of using round pipe is a good one. Make sure that the burner frame can support the extra weight. I made two out of a propane tank and found that with the shallower one I had to be careful stirring it as the lead would swirl over the edge if I stirred too vigorously!

I'm with WILCO, I prefer to keep the load manageable. The propane pots are good in that regard as they don't let me overdo the amount of lead I'm smelting.

farmerjim
11-25-2013, 07:33 AM
I love my (free) propane pot.

ffries61
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, I've been considering a propane bottle, just haven't come up with one yet, as far as supporting it, I was going to build a base instead of using burner to hold it.

Fred

shadowcaster
11-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've been considering a propane bottle, just haven't come up with one yet, as far as supporting it, I was going to build a base instead of using burner to hold it.

Fred

Depending on your burner.. It can be reenforced to to handle a lot of weight. After I braced mine, I stacked 500 pounds of ingots on it and then stood on it with my 230 pounds and it held up fine. I have no worries of it collapsing unless we have a major earth quake! :) Also, the flatter the bottom of your pot is the more stable it will be.

Shad

Airman Basic
11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Someone here sells the propane pots already cut, ready to go. Can't remember who, but worth a look.

Airman Basic
11-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Found him. Just PM D Crockett. He can do it.

ffries61
11-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Found him. Just PM D Crockett. He can do it.

Great, thanks a bunch

tengaugetx
11-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Go by a local autodealership and check their scrap metal trailer for an empty freon tank.

D Crockett
12-01-2013, 11:26 PM
ffries61 I have a special going on now buy the smelting pot and a 2 cavity ingot mold and get the second one free plus postage just to let everyone know that I have 2 propane pot and 2 Freon tank pots and when they are gone I do not plain on making any more due to health problems D Crockett

wistlepig1
12-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I made this one today in about an hour. Remove valve, Dawn Dish soap and water over night, 4 1/2 " grinder/metal wheel to do cutting, weld on handle. All suggestion from others here. Free smelt pot!

dikman
12-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Just be careful with that one. It's very tall compared to the base ring. I cut off a ring from the tank, cut a piece out and tightened it up to make a base ring slightly smaller than the tank diameter. Made a much safer base for it.

wistlepig1
12-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Dikman, Good idea to make the base wider, this is the first time I have made one. Do you have anymore suggestion? THANKS