PDA

View Full Version : You knew someone would try this..........

HiVelocity
11-22-2013, 06:17 PM

Yessir, powder coated buckshot. Why? I haven't a clue, I'll let you know when I load and shoot a few. I'm not sure what will happen, nor how powder coating will effect patterning, we'll see.

Maybe this will replace copper plated buckshot. [Laughing].

HV

dbosman
11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Interesting.
I wonder what powder coated duck and goose loads would do to condors that ate the ducks and geese.
Maybe powder coating can be used as a sneaky way around some lead bans?

Please let us know how this goes.
I'll also request you do some penetration testing on to see of the powder coats stays intact.

merlin101
11-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Maybe powder coating can be used as a sneaky way around some lead bans?

Powder coat lead shot copper color??? sneaky!

xacex
11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Ah, use magnum shot for your lead, and water drop after P/C. It should work just fine. I like the idea of black or copper shot to get by the bans. Save a ton on shot costs!

Did you just do the piglett method to coat them, or something else?

HiVelocity
11-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Xacex- I used the tumble method.

dbosman- I can guarantee the pc won't come off or flake. I tested both 9mm and 40's I PC'd in the same fashion as the buckshot; "struck with a rather large hammer" proved the PC integrity.

HV

Ken73
11-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Wonder if that would work for Texas instead of steel shot?

fastfire
11-23-2013, 03:14 AM
Fish -n- Game officers check shotgun shells using a magnet if they are reloads.

xacex
11-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Fish -n- Game officers check shotgun shells using a magnet if they are reloads.

Easy, iron filings as a buffer instead of COW. There you go.

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Dont really know why everyone whines about te cost of steel shot. It cost less then lead last time i checked...

Ken73
11-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Dont really know why everyone whines about te cost of steel shot. It cost less then lead last time i checked...

Different energy retention than lead. That's why so many people gripe about it, it doesn't go as far or retain enough energy compared to lead.

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Different energy retention than lead. That's why so many people gripe about it, it doesn't go as far or retain enough energy compared to lead.

Ok, i can see that, since its lighter. Ive never hunted ducks so really dont know much about steel shot.

dbosman
11-23-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm not promoting cheating on rules or laws. By sneaky I'm hoping it will allow lead shot and boolits stay legal. If the coating doesn't crack or flake, the lead can't oxidize. It's the oxides getting digested that allegedly kill high order scavengers, not the lead.

Huge quantities of shot can be coated in the same way huge quantities are graphite coated. In rotary coating drums. Just like pills and candy are coated. If powder coating can prevent another ban, we win.

btroj
11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
And the greenies are gonna buy that? They drink the "lead is evil" koolaid, lead shot isn't coming back for waterfowl.

dverna
11-25-2013, 03:34 PM
There may be an improvement in patterns if the coating reduces shot deformation.

Interesting concept.

Don Verna

Tonto
11-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I had written to a powder paint manufacturer about their product and it's use on fishing lures wondering if a well done coating would encapsulate lead in sinkers, jigs and spinnerbaits as a way to deal with the pressure to go lead-free. Their response was they were looking into that. Tin lures drove the costs up drastically with diminished performance. Someday the answers may emerge.