PDA

View Full Version : Sr1911

Tom Ruley
11-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Does anyone own a Ruger 1911? I'm considering buying one, and wanted feedback from owners.

chsparkman
11-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Don't have one myself, but my bro-in-law has one and really loves it. It shoots boolits very well and is very accurate. I've shot it a couple of times and I now want one myself.

saphelps
11-22-2013, 06:55 PM
I have one and LOVE it. Commander is out now also if you're looking for something easier to conceal.

Crash_Corrigan
11-22-2013, 08:46 PM
I have a Taurus PT 1911 for about 6 years. I have well over 7,000 rounds of cast boolits thru it. The first one had a trigger/sear issue and fired off 2 or 4 shots with each trigger pull. I brought it back to my gun dealer and he swapped it out with a brand new one immediately. He sent it back to Taurus and they returned it a few weeks later with new trigger and sears and such. As I had not shot the new gun and I liked the old one I brought it back and got the original.

From it's second birth from Taurus the trigger was crisp and clean at 3 3/4 of pull. After thousands of rounds fired it has lightened up to about just over 3 lbs. The functionality of the weapon is perfect if the ammo is good. Any FTF or FTE problems have all been traced back to my making substandard ammo.

The accuracy is way above normal for a .45 acp. From a bench I have been able to consistently get groups of 1.25" or less at 25 yds with my ammo. I am talking about a Lee 230 gr RNL boolit over 4.5 gr of Clay's powder with a Winchester LP primer and using any brass. On a good day I get all 8 shots onto a steel plate at 100 yds. The finish on the gun did not last well and I had it reblued. I replaced the plastic grips with wood and I am considering replacing the front sight with a Hi Vis type of light gathering tube at least for the front sight.

I have many handguns which I could and have carried concealed under my permit but I find myself carrying the Taurus most of the time. With a clip it no holster device attached to the gun I can carry any way I want and it is comfortable all day long. I have fired it enuf for me to be confident that I can hit what I when I need to with this gun and I have always believed in the inherent ballistics of a heavy slow boolit of soft lead. It will always make at least a .451 dia hole and penetrate deeply enuf to get to a vital organ or two. With a pair of spare loaded 10 round magazines in a cargo pocket I never feel undergunned.

remy3424
11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Like it a lot, would buy again. A lot of features for the money. Does well with cast. It doesn't like cheap magazines, they don't hold the slide back after last round fired.

ultramag
11-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Have both the SR1911 and SR1911CMD and like them very much. Would buy again for sure. My full size suffered the broken front sight that has plagued the SR's last time out. Ruger will pay it's way both ways and replace the front sight so it's not the worse thing to ever happen. I've not had mine be sensitive to any magazine choices, but I don't guess any of mine are cheap necessarily. It functions 100% with Ruger, Remington, McCormick, Wilson 47D's, and Baer mags. It's also had a Rock Island 8 rounder in it a few times. It's also very accurate and performs right up there with a couple 1911's that cost 2-3 times what it did.

rockrat
11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Very accurate and has eaten just about everything I have fed it. Only the NOE 45-155 boolit causes a hangup now and then.

scattershot
11-22-2013, 09:59 PM
I love mine. Very nice pistol. Accurate, nice looking, and a Ruger. What's not to like? Seriously, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Brenden
11-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Extremely accurate, but doesn't feed Lee 200gr swc tl very well.

50target
11-23-2013, 08:06 AM
I have the Commander and it is a really nice piece. I have tried all kinds of magazines and no problems with 7 or 8 rounders. Shoots my reloads without a problem and has a lot of features for a gun in that price range and Ruger quality. No functional issues. My only complaint is that with an empty mag in the gun and the slide back, it takes both hands to depress the slide release. No problem with a loaded mag. Swapped parts and same problem. I quit worrying about it. You'll like it.

aussie-dave
11-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Had mine now for about 12 months and love it. Mind you it's my first and only 1911 so I can't compare it to others.

She shoots "J"ays and boolits very well. My only gripe is the front of the grip is smooth but I think a hogue finger groove grip will fix that.

Tbird
11-23-2013, 03:53 PM
a lot of quality for the money..i love mine

Shiloh
11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
There is an article on them in the latest American Rifleman issue. Ruger
makes a good product at an affordable price.

Shiloh

MtGun44
11-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't have one but did a tune up for a friend, and it is a very well made
gun.

Bill

Tom Ruley
11-23-2013, 06:16 PM
I went to Gander mountain to look at the Ruger 1911. I found out that the ad stating $499 was wrong and was actually $749. And they were, of course, out of the Commander models. This is just another time that Gander Mountain has let me down. I must say, they are very consistent.

deltaenterprizes
11-24-2013, 07:50 AM
I got one recently after a long wait, and it is a nice pistol. I wish it had an ambi safety.
The nice thing is it does not have a Series 80 firing pin block.
I looked at the Taurus and the Ruger is much tighter.

johnnyh
11-24-2013, 08:57 AM
I always said I would buy one when I found one. Well I finally found one and bought the Commander series last week. Have not got to shoot it yet, but feels better to me than my light weight Colt Commander does. Recoil spring seems a little heavy but gun is really tight. Looking forward to putting lots of rounds through it soon. ;)

alrighty
11-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I have had mine for a couple of years now , it is a full size model.The only thing I have done to mine was the addition of a wide notch rear sight and a fiber optic front.The sights were available from Ruger.
I have found it to feed everything that I have tried and is very accurate for a pistol in it's price range.

MtGun44
11-24-2013, 05:58 PM
The comparison between Taurus and Ruger is not favorable to the Taurus, not anywhere
near close. I have done a LOT of work to make a Taurus 1911 reliable, and the Ruger is
fine out of the box.

Bill

wrench man
11-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Does anyone own a Ruger 1911?
Yep.
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/1911003_zpsb5299fb6.jpg (http://s754.photobucket.com/user/ramblerinternational/media/guns/1911003_zpsb5299fb6.jpg.html)

tonysp101
11-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Yes i have the goverment size and cmd size. fit and finish is very good on both. both are very accurate and reliable. i have sevral hundred rounds thru both with np probloms