PDA

View Full Version : my wonderful deer season so far

Lloyd Smale
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
season opened yesterday here and i spent it at the hospital getting ct scans done and the day today at the doc getting results. Looks like theres still problems with the back and he turned it over to the surgeon to see if he can fix it or if i just have to live with it. First time since 1975 when i was in the service that i missed opening day of season!!!!

44man
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I would have pushed you to your favorite place if I lived near you. Even gut and pull out the deer for you.
Not nice to fool with mother nature and miss opening day! :mrgreen:
I hope your back gets better, nothing worse.

Lloyd Smale
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Hell pal i think im going to go over to the bar and at least talk hunting!!

dubber123
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Hell pal i think im going to go over to the bar and at least talk hunting!!

Never a bad plan....:drinks:

tommag
11-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Lloyd, I'm not a Yooper, but have loaded in the UP during deer season and had a heck of a time finding anyone at the plant to unlock the doors so I could load myself.
It seems to me a TRUE YOOPER would have his casket wheeled to the stand so as not to miss the "holiest of holies".

Hope you recover soon and fully!
Tom

Bass Ackward
11-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Ah heck Lloyd. With all them short barrel handguns, chances are they would have just bounced off anyway.

So the next pop you here should be from your favorite beverage. :grin:

VTDW
11-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Lloyd,

Our rifle season opens tomorrow for 16 days and I am in the same boat with you. I wish I could meet you at the bar.:drinks: Heck, the friend that has let me hunt deer for over 20 yr. and now hawgs told me today he cannot walk much either and will not be deer hunting. Maybe I could bring him along to MI with me and we could have an Old Pharts table.:mrgreen: This getting old stuff sure ain't for wusses is it?

Dave

shotstring
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
You might consider transferring. I understand that there are some fine hospitals with landscaped grounds that have been known to have deer come and graze on the lush greenery.

When I was 14, I did make a window shot from our kitchen window in a metropolitan area to take out a cottontail in our front yard, which I promptly cleaned and cooked up for dinner. What one man can do, another can do! :-D

p.s. I'm sure they have everything you would need to dress out the deer over in surgery.

Dale53
11-18-2007, 02:19 AM
As I headed for the bed at 11:30 P.M. I checked the front door. I noticed something large in the front yard (I live in town in a residential neighborhood). It was a big whitetail doe nipping grass from my front sidewalk!!

We have so many deer here in SouthWestern Ohio that they are becoming a real problem. We have liberalized the bag limits but the hunters still are having problems keeping the deer herd thinned. When I was a lad, there was not a single deer in this part of the country! Now, they are everywhere.

Turkeys have been re-intoduced and we now have a huntable population of turkeys.

Lloyd, I have been plagued with a serious back problem for most of my adult life. Mine started with a fall on icy concrete steps. Then was aggravated by a motorcycle accident. I have had flare ups that put me in bed for a week at a time over the years. I found a physical therapist that really started me on the way to recovery. A year and a half ago, I started working out at the local fitness center. Back pain gone (I suffered with back pain every day for YEARS). It is wonderful. I have two ruptured discs in the neck (C4 and C5) and two in the lumbar region (L4 & L5). The discs are not repaired but the work outs seem to keep my back muscle toned up that keeps things aligned and pain free.

I hope that you get similar results from your diagnosis.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
11-18-2007, 06:41 AM
well guys i forced myself to sit out last night. I couldnt make it to camp but at least sat out in my bow scaffold with a sixgun. It was cold and painful and i didnt see a thing but it sure felt good to at least pretend i was hunting.

testhop
11-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Lloyd
i was in the same boat once the dr told me no hunting
i was on blood thinners he told me if i got shot i would bleed to death before i could get help
i just told him hell if i was healthy where i hunt i would bleed to death it is so far back thay have to pump sunshine in he just no so i told him if i have the choice of dieing in bed or my
deer stand he would find me in my stand
so i will tell you what Lloydi will hunt 2 extradays for you .
maybe the couple days in the woods will do both of us good
will keep you in our prayers

tom

qajaq59
11-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Back in 1975 after my first back surgery, a local firefighter, who was a good duck hunter and who I had never even met, heard from mutual friends that I loved duck hunting. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to go because I could barely walk yet, he came and got me. He carried me into his boat, took me out to the marsh and set me up so that I could hunt. That's what I call a hunter with CLASS.

waksupi
11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Lyoyd, there is no good time to get laid up, but hunting season would have to be about the worst time. I guess fishing would be about the only alternative, and that could wear on a man, too. With any luck, a deer will come up and surrender to you.

Lloyd Smale
11-18-2007, 11:18 AM
thanks for all the well wishes and support guys. I consider each and every one of you friends and more then anything i wish you luck in your hunting this year. I hear by pass on any luck that God would have given me to everyone here!

Larry Gibson
11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Lloyd

If it's any consolation my muzzle loading deer hunt just went south also. I got many many X-rays (over $4,000 billed to the VA) about 8 days ago and have had a lingering bad cold since. I've been quite weak also. Don't know if there is a connection but I've never had a cold like this. Anyways, the wife (my local witch doctor) put her foot down and said "NO" to me going. I argued but to no avail. Don't anyone tell her she was probably right. Well there's always next year.

Larry Gibson

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
11-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Lloyd:
Did ya hear that 6.5x55 crack this morning???? one of them "table does",[smilie=1: thinking of you buddy, hope you heal fast!!!
Nick

Dale53
11-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Larry;
Your wife was undoubtedly correct. There is a new "killer cold" running around the country right now and several people have simply died from a "simple" cold.

Take care of yourself.

Dale53

dmftoy1
11-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Lloyd, sorry to hear about your back. I bagged a huge antlerless buck this morning in your honor . . .he's sitting at the meat locker awaiting processing and the dogs and I had a nice lunch of liver and onions.

Take care,
Dave

Lloyd Smale
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Dad just called and said he shot one of those anterless bucks for me so ive got some venison anyway.
Lloyd, sorry to hear about your back. I bagged a huge antlerless buck this morning in your honor . . .he's sitting at the meat locker awaiting processing and the dogs and I had a nice lunch of liver and onions.

Take care,
Dave

Thumbcocker
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
If you are in the woods with a sixgun and it's deer season you are hunting.

I read that one Sitting Bull was traveling across country and a journalist asked him what the Sioux would do now that the buffalo were almost gone. He is supposed to have said sonething like " if we have to we will hunt mice because we are hunters".

A lot of being a hunter is on the inside. I can telll by your posts that you are a hunter.

Hope things work out for you.

GLynn41
11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
sometimes it is not sickness that gets in the way --I am a vol. fireman and at 4:45 am of the opening morning here in TN -- I got a call oh well pretty well shot the hunting day--hope you and all that have problems feel better--maybe if you can not hunt --you could load or cast?

Freightman
11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
I have a bad back so I can feel for you, had surgery 14+ years ago and it still hurts all the time. Good luck with yours.
My weenie dog and I hunt tree rats all the time in the back yard, she catches them when they hit the ground and shakes them vigorously.