PDA

View Full Version : Cost of doing business or just a rip-off

double8
11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I had a guy who was going to buy a handgun from me. I need to send it by FFL to FFL. He says his FFL charges $50 for a transfer. To me, that is nothing but a rip-off. Don't know why he is even dealing with this character. :holysheep

pull the trigger
11-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Agreed

BK7saum
11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
I know one guy that will transfer for free, but most here are $20-25. Class 3 transfers are $50.

mckenziedrums
11-21-2013, 03:17 PM
A local shop, largest privately owned gun store in the country, charges $50... They do that because they don't want to be in the business of transfers and to keep people from buying from Buds and other online only retailers. Makes it cheaper to buy there in the store. I understand it... but just means I don't go to them for transfers ;) Free enterprise... they can charge whatever they want.

HATCH
11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
$20 to $25 is the norm for for places.
I wish I could find a Class 3 guy near me that did $50 transfers. The guy I uses is a FFL 07 with SOT and he charges $100 cause he wants people to buy the stuff he makes..

BK7saum
11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Your right. It is a persons option to vote with their wallet. A high transfer does price out online sales and subsequent transfers

Springfield
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
My FFL charges 50.00 and the state adds on their own 25, so 75.oo total. And he is cheaper than the larger shops.

11-21-2013, 03:44 PM
With every private firearms sale down under having to go through a dealer we face the same issue. Prices range from free to over $100 for the transfer plus any freight costs.
Standard procedure is for the buyer to wear the cost unless otherwise agreed.
Quite often the seller will cover freight costs to sweeten the deal with the buyer handling the dealer costs at their end, Fairest way as the buyer nominates the dealer their end so has some control over what it will cost.

drhall762
11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Beats me. I do several a month and I charge a flat $10.00 for rifle, shotgun or handgun. Covers the time it takes to email an FFL and have the customer fill out the forms. I get a lot of repeats customers that actually bring me work. My 2 cents.

Down South
11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
My gun shop doesn't charge me but I have been doing business with them for 20+ yrs. I believe they do charge most everyone else $20-$25. It's worth it since they have to receive the firearm, do the paperwork and just put up with having to do it.

yobohadi
11-21-2013, 04:03 PM
They do have to take time to receive, check serial numbers, and fill out paperwork for the firearm before they even need to take the time to babysit you through the 4473 form, sit on hold for the FBI check, or pack it all back up, fill out more paperwork, and ship it back if you reject the firearm. Depending on the hassle I think $25 - $50 is reasonable for the time invested, they need to make a profit. If it is too high then you can negotiate with them or go elsewhere.

toolz568
11-21-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't mind spending $50 for a transfer if it will help keep my local shop in business. If I am not going to buy a gun from him at least he will get something.

Black Powder Bill
11-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I'd rather do transfers all day long than a sale. It takes me from 3 to 6 hrs to research for a customer. A transfer, they purchase, it shows up $30.00 later and the required triggerlock they leave happy.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 04:27 PM
20 to 25 is fair. I do not know why anyone would do business with a dealer that requires a firearm to come from a dealer. The guy I use charges me 20- to transfer as many guns at one time as I have shipped. He will receive from anyone with a photocopy of their drivers lic.

timspawn
11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I use to charge $25 then raised it to $50 because it was not worth it for reasons stated above...not to mention the liability involved in selling firearms. Actually $50 isn't worth it..to me. When people ask, I tell them my price and if they don't start cussing me, I refer them to another shop in town.

EDG
11-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Just vote with your feet. I have seen many gunshops that thought they could sell anything at the highest prices go bankrupt. They are too dumb to know people are sensitive about the cost of luxury goods associated with a hobby that is basically recycling. The whole point is to shoot more with less money. The retail retards never get the message even when selling the last of their inventory at a going out of business sale.

atr
11-21-2013, 04:40 PM
50 rifles to 75 pistols here is UBER Liberal dumb *** western WA

missionary5155
11-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Greetings
Three local GS's nearby where I live when in ILLinois will do this "service" for FREE.
All buisnesses can write off fees and lecenses. Sure the shop has to do a little paper work. I was an FFL. I did it for free. I would look somewhere else. I would also let the shop know there are other places you will be buying firearms,ammo and whatever.
Mike in Peru

Speedo66
11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
The price range in LGS's is $25-75. Needless to say, I'll patronize the least expensive place, and give them most of my other business.

plmitch
11-21-2013, 05:07 PM
My FFL charges 50.00 and the state adds on their own 25, so 75.oo total. And he is cheaper than the larger shops.

Thats a good price for this area!

dragon813gt
11-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Used to pay $20 but that shop went out of business. Now I pay $30 and have to drive 30 minutes on top of it. The PICS check is $5 on top of the fee. I understand the charges. No ones time is free so why would I expect it to be free? The FFL has to make sure all the paperwork is correct so I have no issues w/ the fees as long as they are what I deem acceptable.

jmort
11-21-2013, 05:34 PM
That is below average here in California. My FFL does it for $25.00 plus $25.00 to State for DROS, for total transer/state fee of $50.00. That is lowest I can find.

Duckiller
11-21-2013, 05:37 PM
If you are selling over a state line ATF says you must transfer FFL to FFL. Both dealers have to enter the gun on their books and detail how it was disposed of. It all takes time and time is money. It costs money to do things legal. You lost the last few elections so it is going to cost more. You want it to cost less try winning an election instead of complaining about some minor facet of the candidate and refusing to vote.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 05:45 PM
If you are a dealer and you do not want to do transfers just say "no". I can completely understand the guy that does not think it is worth it.

plmitch
11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
That is below average here in California. My FFL does it for $25.00 plus $25.00 to State for DROS, for total transer/state fee of $50.00. That is lowest I can find.

Great price there, half the cost I paid last time here in the Bay Area.

meshugunner
11-21-2013, 06:01 PM
It's his time and his business and he can charge whatever he wants and you are free to accept or reject. In my area, the gunstore charges $40 while my gunsmith wants $20. It usually takes him 5-10 mins to do the transfer, but I hang out and chat for an hour picking his brains about guns. I don't see how he makes money but last time I was there he sold me a Glock 17 that he happened to have "lying around" and I left with two guns instead of one for the same transfer cost. I also use his gunsmithing service, so it does bring in business. I found him because I was looking for a local FFL and he had the lowest charge.

Black Powder Bill
11-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Greetings
Three local GS's nearby where I live when in ILLinois will do this "service" for FREE.
All buisnesses can write off fees and lecenses. Sure the shop has to do a little paper work. I was an FFL. I did it for free. I would look somewhere else. I would also let the shop know there are other places you will be buying firearms,ammo and whatever.
Mike in Peru

LMAO write off licenses and fees. YEA ever look at how that write off stuff works. Lets say it cost me $50.00 in my time. come tax time those un-charge FREE fees and not part of the big write off plan. An expense has to be an actual expense and then you only get a % in write off as a business expense. Nothing is for "FREE" not my time nor my business expenses. I sure don't get free accounting, electric, computers, FFL license.
I've given people great deals over the years only to have them run down the road 20 miles to save a quarter on a box of cartridges.

Had one guy ask for a quote on a Browning clays SG once. He said ok. I waited for him to come around. A few weeks later I saw him at a shoot. He was bragging on how much he saved on a Browning O/U. Showed it right off and said to me in front of a dozen other guys.
This is the gun you wanted $1,600.00 for!

I looked at it and said NOPE yours is a field shotgun. The one you asked me for was a clays model.

A few weeks later he was asking how he could return his SG to Browning as the bluing was wearing off. I told him to contact Browning.

Nothing like a great deal.

Cipher
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
I agree that the high price of a transfer could price you out of an online sale. Around my neck of the woods the transfer would have to be some $150 or more (depending of the price range) before they would price me out. Most recent example is a Ruger GP100 about $715 out the door at the local gs or i can order online and pay a $25 transfer and walk out for $590. For this purchase the decision would easy up to about $150 transfer (I hope i never see that day).

mtnman31
11-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Local shop wanted 100 bucks for a transfer. He said they want to encourage you to buy guns from them. They don' t have what I want and to order something means I have to pay retail or more. That attitude pretty much means I won't be doing any business with them, ever.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah Black Powder Bill, I know what you mean. I have some definite opinions on this because I sold guns years ago and I agree nothing is free. I had a friend that was a small dealer and gunsmith and he had some real opinions about his time and money. Technically he was not supposed to do what he did, but I knew where he was coming from. He would not sell you a state hunting or fishing lic. unless you bought something in his shop. I used to love the look on peoples faces when he would tell them this. He was directly across the road from a Kmart and when someone would ask him to sell them a hunting or fishing lic. He would ask them why they did not get one when they bought their ammo or tackle at Kmart. They would respond that Kmart does not sell them. He would look at them and say. " Wow, that sucks for you, get out." He was a cantankerous old SOB but was a great gunsmith and stayed very busy.

HATCH
11-21-2013, 06:43 PM
If you are selling over a state line ATF says you must transfer FFL to FFL.

This statement isn't correct.
The ATF states that a FFL is required on the receiving end not the shipping end. I private person (such as myself) can ship guns to any FFL in the USA directly.
Now there may be state laws that require that the shipper be a FFL holder but as far as the FEDS are concerning only the receiver has to be a FFL holder.

I have sold and shipped guns to California (shipped a UZI!!) without any issues either.

sliphammer
11-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I quit buying out of state because shops in Washington state now have to charge state sales tax on your firearm purchase and you still have the shipping/transfer fees.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Hatch is right I have bought and sold a number of guns on gunbroker and private party to FFL is completely legal. It is no different than shipping your personal firearm to a gunsmith out of state to be worked on. He just needs to have an FFL.

11-21-2013, 07:10 PM
my local ffl charges 10.00 another shop charges 20.00 to order your gun for wholesale,but requires cash up front another thing is the gun control act of 1968 sets a max fee a ffl can charge for transfers if your curious how much do a little research you will be amazed,but this amount was established in 1968 and has never been updated. we also have a chain store that is now trying to charge 2.00 rxtra for them filling out there part of the 4473 form. i was looking at a 1399.00 rifle and they said there would be a 2.00 fee and i told them to keep there gun

double8
11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
All my local post offices say FFL to FFL...I can't ship to an FFL. While my FFL guy here is very reasonable, the guy who wanted my gun seemed to have wanted me to come down the $50 he would be charged to transfer.......I certainly won't subsidize his dealer.

abunaitoo
11-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Shops here charge between $40 and $60 for long guns.
Pistols cost more.
Guy in the club has a FFL and dosen't charge members anything.
I have a C&R and that's mostly what I buy.

olereb
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Mine charges $13.00 but there are several in the area that do charge $50.00,i know my friends that live in NY pay atleast $50.00 and some charge even more. I think a lot depends on where you live.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
All my local post offices say FFL to FFL...I can't ship to an FFL. While my FFL guy here is very reasonable, the guy who wanted my gun seemed to have wanted me to come down the $50 he would be charged to transfer.......I certainly won't subsidize his dealer.

Why would you try to ship through the Post Office. Use UPS or Fed Ex. I ship all my guns UPS.

Springfield
11-21-2013, 08:15 PM
double8: Your Post Office is correct, you can't ship HANDGUNS through the USPS but you can ship them by Fed_Ex or UPS. That's their rules, not the BATFE's. You can ship long guns by USPS, though.

shooterg
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm thinking an FFL holder can mail a handgun to another FFL for way less than a handgun goes UPS. While I'm sure a private individual can ship UPS/FedEx , I'm not sure if a non-FFL can mail a gun at the PO.

$20-$25 most I've paid here.

bedbugbilly
11-21-2013, 08:25 PM
First off, it's called "free enterprise". Nobody likes to pay one way or the other . . that's human nature. Is $10, $25, $50 too much? That is "in the eye of the beholder". However, a business is in business to make money . . . not break even. Where I live (MI) and I purchase a firearm in a store, it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes to get it done. It's my understanding that if a FFL does your transfer and there is a problem, it's their butt on the line. I have a friend who owns a large gun shop and every year the BATF are camped out in his basement going over his records to see that every T is crossed and every I is dotted.

Put yourself in the shoes of the gun shop owner. If they will do FFL transfers . . . (and more power to them if they do) . . . you are buying a weapon from some one else but asking them to do the paperwork . . . when they very likely could have sold you the same gun (in most cases). That's like buying your tires from the Sears Roebuck catalog, putting them on your car and then going to the local tire store to ask for air to fill them up.

There are two sides to every issue. In the end, if you feel that a $50 transfer fee by an FFL is too much . . . you have the option of going elsewhere and finding someone who will do it cheaper. Non of us like paying higher prices for things . . . even the guy who owns the gun store . . . but that's a fact of life. I am no martyr . . . but there are times that I will buy things locally that may cost a little more, but I know that the local store needs a community's support. If not, it's not going to be there the next time I need something. It's kind of like people who will waste $5.00 in gas to drive 20 miles to save a dollar on something.

If an FFL charges $50 for a transfer .. . then they probably have a good reason. . . especially if it's a smaller LGS. They don't have the buying power that a large chain store does. They don't get 90 or 120 day billing like chain stores do. Chances are, many items, primers, powder, whatever . . cost them more than someone like a large chain store and they have to take a lower profit margin on it in order to compete with the chain stores. As a result, they have to make up for that loss somewhere and such things as transfer fees help do that. Everyone who is not self-employe and who works for someone else expects their pay check at the end of the week. The guy who owns the LGS has to pay his overhead, pay his bills, pay his help, pay his withholding, pay his insurances, etc. . . at the end of it all . . . there's no guarantee that HE is going to have enough left over to pay himself so he can pay his own personal bills.

Those are the things you have to consider . . . it's not about "a dollar in is a dollar profit". . . . or they are "ripping you off". You still have the option of turning around and leaving if you don't want to pay their price . . . the same option you have when you pull in to a gas station, a hardware store or a grocery store. If they are good enough to do a transfer and assume liability, they are providing a service the same as anybody else. If you think that service is too high . . . wait until the next time you need a plumber or a furnace man who will have a minimum fee just to show up. In the end . . . people who work, don't and shouldn't do it for nothing.

meshugunner
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
That's right, an individual can ship to an FFL anywhere in the US. I've bought and sold a number of guns that way. However a non FFL is not allowed to use USPS, only an FFL. Fedex and UPS will ship but they require 2nd day for firearms which is not cheap about $35 in my experience. I have found it is actually cheaper to have my FFL ship it, with his fee and USPS postage, I save some money.

halbautomatisch
11-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Where I'm at $25 is dirt cheap, some shops with a lot of inventory charge $100 - not that they do many transfers, but they want people to buy what's in inventory. I've never heard of any dealers doing transfers for free and why any shop would do transfers for free I don't understand unless it's for regular customers that spend lots of money in the shop already. It takes time and there is liability involved with doing transfers, a shop should be getting paid for the service.

brtelec
11-21-2013, 09:40 PM
That's right, an individual can ship to an FFL anywhere in the US. I've bought and sold a number of guns that way. However a non FFL is not allowed to use USPS, only an FFL. Fedex and UPS will ship but they require 2nd day for firearms which is not cheap about $35 in my experience. I have found it is actually cheaper to have my FFL ship it, with his fee and USPS postage, I save some money.

As long as there has not been a recent change at UPS, the only thing that has to go express is handguns. Rifles can be shipped by regular shipping. I ran into UPS depots that tried to make me use 2nd day on a rifle and I left and came back with a print out of their policies and that took care of that.

nicholst55
11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
In Maryland, dealers typically charge $75 for transfers. Here in AZ, $25 seems to be the general going rate.

CITYREPO61
11-21-2013, 10:19 PM
In NY it's usually $25-150 for a transfer

Buzzard II
11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
$37.00 is the cheapest I've found here in the Peoples Republik of New Jersey, this includes a charge of $22.00 which the State collects from the FFL for the "free" NICS call. Most charge $50.00 .

338RemUltraMag
11-21-2013, 11:45 PM
In Cumberland MD I can get a transfer for 25, once I head to PA it costs 35, so unless I am buying a handgun I go to MD to transfer my firearms.

myg30
11-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Last transfer here in Nashville, TN was $20.
$10 for the background chk and $10 fer the paperwork.
One FFL here told me a transfer almost cost him his business because of a bad gun shipped from individual to him. ATF had him under a microscope for over a month. He will not do xfers any more because of the one bad deal.

Mike

kingstrider
11-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Really depends where you are at more than anything. In my home state of Kentucky most dealers were around $10-20. I'm living in MoCo Md now and most places here charge $50-75 depending on what it is. Not a lot of choice about it, you either pony up and pay or do without.

PalmettoShooter
11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
There's a pawn shop near me that does $20 transfers. It's kind of a hassle to get there b/c of traffic/location, but it's the cheapest around. I used to use a guy that was about 30 min away because he'd give me a flat fee of $25 no matter how many guns, but then I slowed down on the purchases, so it wasn't worth driving his way (and he had **** hours).

Currently I'm about to apply for my 07/02, and my location is smack dab in the middle of my city (I found a zoning loophole) so I'm planning on doing $20 transfers and $50 NFA transfers. I'm starting with a small safe, but the way I see it is that it'll cover the costs for me to get a big safe, which I wouldn't mind having. I've heard lots of places don't like doing transfers (other than the reasons mentioned in other posts in this thread) because it's a hassle. You have to receive, unpack, log, pack back up, etc. I don't really mind because starting out I need all the extra money I can get to cover rent and all that other stuff.

That being said, there's also the liability issue that a lot of places don't want to deal with. If your gun is damaged/stolen/etc. they're on the hook for it, because they cared for it until the transfer takes place. It also takes up space in the safe. Think about NFA transfers in particular... you'll likely be holding on to their toy for close to a year. That really adds up in safe space. I'm a small mfg setup, but I know I sure wouldn't want to leave a customer's gun in the back room and risk having it stolen if someone breaks in. Another new headache to deal with, but that's life.

Sorry for being long winded, I had a heck of a day.

Joel

gbrown
11-22-2013, 12:19 AM
My guy charges $20.00. I guess its how a person views it. They have to fill out the paperwork, do the background, if necessary, and then retain the records. Liability? A person fills out the form, background is done, everything appears correct, what liability? Some around here charge higher fees, seems like they are discouraging people from dealing with them. I've bought and sold guns interstate, and never had an issue. Again, its their business, how much they want to charge, and its your business, if you want to pay their fee. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As a few others have said, "Vote with your wallet."

mattd
11-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Graffs, who looks to be a sponsor here, and hands down the best LGS around me, charges $40. I've just seen the sign in store, my guy is $20 and has earned every dollar and then some on at least one occasion when things don't go perfectly.

A pause for the COZ
11-22-2013, 03:29 AM
My guy charges $20, Thats fair enough. Usually I bring some thing with me.
Pick up my gun and have him turn a part on his lath.
Pick up a gun and have him drill and tap a scope mount on a Marlin.
I have two coming in next week and will be taking a Mauser for him to pull the barrel off of.
I have never left with just paying him $20.
Its a win win.

Fla9-40
11-22-2013, 06:08 AM
My "Mom & Pop" FFL only charges me $5....That is why I keep coming back and ALWAYS recommend them to everyone for all there sporting needs. I did use a local FFL for awhile that charged $35....not any more. Not only did they loose out on $35 but have not been back in there store since!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-22-2013, 08:52 AM
My local Ma and Pa LGS use to charge $25 to transfer,
He recently bumped his fee up to $35 which I found out on the last gun I bought off Gunbroker. I was a little upset at first, but then realized there isn't many small LGS's around here, and if he thinks another $10 is necessary to stay afloat, so be it. I hope he is smart enough to stay in business. I guess he was hit hard this last year, due to the lack of receiving fresh inventory, which meant nothing much to sell...anyway, that extra $10 out of my pocket is really no big deal.
Jon

boltaction308
11-22-2013, 09:04 AM
My local store charges $75. It is actually a fair amount of work on their part to receive the gun, put it in their books, and then do the transfer back out. Also from their point of view it is one less gun that they could have sold. A guy in my gun club has an FFL from his house and charges $40. While I dont like paying this prices, I do consider them fair and part of the cost of doing business.

finishman2000
11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
what is it to you what his dealer is charging him? I sell guns online and state that if your dealer requires it be sent from an ffl instead of me it is another $30 that goes to my dealer plus the shipping. don't like it? don't buy it.

jarrodl
11-22-2013, 11:59 AM
My usual shop charges $25 ($10 background check included) unless it is on a gun he stocks. If he stocks it he charges $50. At first I thought that expensive, but when I though about him tying his money up to try to make a sale, it made sense. He also sells his guns at resonable prices. Often ad cheap as you see adverised in popular magazines. So even I'd he didnt charge more, the price would be about the same unless it was pretty expensive then sales tax would get you.

timspawn
11-22-2013, 12:01 PM
My guy charges $20.00. I guess its how a person views it. They have to fill out the paperwork, do the background, if necessary, and then retain the records. Liability? A person fills out the form, background is done, everything appears correct, what liability? Some around here charge higher fees, seems like they are discouraging people from dealing with them. I've bought and sold guns interstate, and never had an issue. Again, its their business, how much they want to charge, and its your business, if you want to pay their fee. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As a few others have said, "Vote with your wallet."

We live in a very litigious society. Even if I follow the letter of the law I am still liable. I have seen it happen. A guy buys a gun, passes the check with flying colors and then does something stupid. They say I should have known he was a drunk...drug head...had mental issues or whatever. Not to mention you have a large section of the country that thinks you can get on the computer and buy a gun and have it shipped to your house. All they hear is, he bought it online. I don't have the time or money to defend myself from the trial lawyers. Most of the money I make is not from guns as I am a pawn shop. I deal in more gold and tools than guns and I don't stock new guns. If somebody wants to do a transfer I tell them my price, if they don't like it I refer them one of the other shops in town and am happy to do it. No harm no foul. They also send me business so it works out.

sparky45
11-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Whatever works for you Tim is exactly what you should be doing. That said, I wouldn't do business with you because I ALWAYS do what's best for me in any type of monetary transaction.

timspawn
11-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Whatever works for you Tim is exactly what you should be doing. That said, I wouldn't do business with you because I ALWAYS do what's best for me in any type of monetary transaction.

That is exactly what I am doing...what is best for me and my business.

brody
11-22-2013, 01:19 PM
My FFL doesn't charge me for transfers. But I always check with him first to see if he has what I'm getting available in the store. His prices are great so I don't mind buying from him. I also usually "tip" $10-$20 because he is doing me a favor.

Also, as far as I know there are no laws demanding FFL to FFL shipping of your own gun. The gun must be received by a FFL though. It's just FUD from dealers who want make more money or cover their a**.

McLintock
11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I just received a Ruger Mark 1, made in 1951, from the Philidelphia area, and the first dealer wanted $77 to ship it, plus he wouldn't accept my C&R FFL for the transfer, the seller found another dealer. Leave the jughead dealers behind.
McLintock

louism
11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
If you have a C&R you can receive it from a nonlicenced individual. You just need his information for your bound book. Got this answer this year from BATFE.

silverbuzzard
11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I think Gander MT charges 75 !!!!! Again, they do this so you will not buy on- line.

I used to have a FFL and there are two schools of thought .
If the person shipping [or receiver] was a customer of mine , I would do it for 10 bucks . I figured I want to be loyal to my customers.
I stopped doing it when a guy[not a customer] wanted me to receive a 3,000 dollar rifle. I figured if it gets stolen from my possession, I would be out some serious bucks sooo I stopped.
The guy I use costs 35 bucks and I gladly pay it since he has the issues with freight company ,theft, damage WHILE it's in his possession.
Any more than 40 and I would be searching for a new FFL

ricky75
11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
The last time I did an FFL transfer I went on the internet and found an FFL close to me that did it for $10.00....................

hanleyfan
11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
If your dealer charges high fee to encourage you to buy from him, I think that does just the opposite, I will go down the road to his competitor that charges 20.00 and he also gets my business of other gun related items I need, The only reason I buy on line is because its not available locally or it priced to high. When you can save 100.00 plus dollars by ordering it on line its worth it. My local gun shop whom I dealt with for 10 years raised his fee from 20.00 to 50.00 back around 1 year and half ago, I did not say anything, just went down the road 3 miles to a shop that would do it for 20.00 and since I was there I would buy my supplies from him too. I went back to the old shop just out of curiosity to see what he had and he asked my why I had not been in for a while, I told him since he raised his transfer fee to 50.00 I took my business else where, he told me if I would start buying my supplies from him he would do my transfer for 20.00 from than on. I always liked this guy so I agreed.

alrighty
11-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I am unfortunate that I do not have a gun shop in my small town anymore but I am very fortunate that I have a retired police officer that has his FFL.He does all my transfers for $20.00 and that drops to $10.00 for additional transfers if at the same time.I can email him the details and within an hour he has already faxed or emailed his credentials.Super nice guy and we always end up talking guns for about an hour each transfer.
The gun shops in the surrounding towns charge between $30.00 up to 10% and good luck getting them to send their credentials within a week.It seems they are always gone to gun shows , they seem to leave on Thursday and don't return until the following Tuesday.

Ohio Rusty
11-22-2013, 06:42 PM
The only gun shop within 50 miles of me charges $45 for a transfer. I found that out *after* I had bought the T/C frame. Consequently, I stopped buying firearms thru mail order as i cannot get them shipped any cheaper.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Copper75
11-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I've got a buddy that does it for $20.
He's making pretty good money doing transfers for people.
Most shops around here charge 20-30. $50 seems high to me.

double8
11-22-2013, 07:41 PM
A bit off the mark.....but I wonder how many guns are "lost" through the USPS, UPS, FedEx?

w0fms
11-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Look around for gunsmiths. Newer ones need the business. The $50-$75 xfer locally "in town" was $15 for a 20 minute drive just by looking around... The guy essentially made nothing on me, but I referred a lot of business to him... buddies in the business are good too...

2AMMD
11-22-2013, 08:02 PM
The normal fee for an FFL transfer is $50.00 to $100.00. Is what it is.
2AMMD

ValorsMinion
11-22-2013, 08:58 PM
My guy who works out of his home charges $10. Most of the local shops around here charge $25. I think both prices are fair. Shops have overhead to pay as well as online sales take away from their business. But for the extra money you can stop by any time that's convenient for you during business hours and they never take vacations.

All you guys paying 50+ need to move to a free state like Texas (among other reasons). I don't know of anywhere here in Texas that you cant find someone who will do it for $25 or less.

Down South
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
There is a service on Gunbroker that helps people find FFL's to ship to and from. Just enter the zip where you ship and check the list. Many have their prices listed, others you can call to inquire.
Just thought someone might find it helpful.

On edit, just the FFL's that have submitted a copy of their FFL to GB are listed at this site.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

waltham41
11-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I charge $20 to do a transfer, and an additional $5 for every extra weapon going on the 4473. Will take transfers from individuals. I got tired of the expensive transfers and that is part of the reason why I got my own license.

I naturally prefer that someone buy a gun from me instead of just using me to bring one in from the outside, but I do not bring it up, its the customers choice as to where they spend their money and I am happy to at least make a quick $20 bucks. One unexpected transfer and lunch or supper is paid for ;)

Suo Gan
11-22-2013, 10:15 PM
I buy so many guns that I can't generally find an FFL that will deal with me more than 6 months. I have been through twelve dealers now...deceased, deceased, retired, retired, retired, retired, too many guns, too many guns, too many guns, too many guns, too many guns, too many guns, my current shop charges $95 and they will transfer 10 for that price. Other shops will charge sales tax...for out of state purchases, but not this shop.

It seems $95 is a bargain. But for a $100, 22 probably not so much.

JRLesan
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
A whole lot of misinformation on this thread. I suggest the whiners get their own FFL and then they can transfer to themselves for free!

PS Paul
11-23-2013, 01:25 AM
I quit buying out of state because shops in Washington state now have to charge state sales tax on your firearm purchase and you still have the shipping/transfer fees.

You are absolutely correct about that. The WA State Dept. of Revenue came down pretty hard on gun stores, including the one I ran for many years. When that happened, the appeal of out of state transfers REALLY died off and the transfers we did slowed from several per day to about 6 to 8 per week. At the onset of this, there were MANY customers who were PO'd and I had to have my sales guys produce the letter from Dept. of Revenue several times, whilst apologizing profusely for it, to some who said, "You never did this before".

At that point we were charging $30 for the transfer and there was certainly NO write-off of expenses for the time it took to orchestrate these transfers. Another thing not mentioned is the time taken away from other customers in the store (who deserve your attention for being there and shopping in the store) taken up with tracking down the transferring FFL (not as easy as it might appear on the surface sometimes), doing the 4473, NICS check, faxing, etc. while in-person customers are neglected..... In a small shop, I can see charging less, but in a super-busy store, sometimes the transfers are a net loss, no matter how you slice it cuz not every customer is as "loyal" as we would want to believe.

Just my humble .02 FWIW after living this for many years, that's all.

sparky45
11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
2AMMD

Maybe where you live it is, but here it's still $20.

sparky45
11-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I charge $20 to do a transfer, and an additional $5 for every extra weapon going on the 4473. Will take transfers from individuals. I got tired of the expensive transfers and that is part of the reason why I got my own license.

I naturally prefer that someone buy a gun from me instead of just using me to bring one in from the outside, but I do not bring it up, its the customers choice as to where they spend their money and I am happy to at least make a quick $20 bucks. One unexpected transfer and lunch or supper is paid for ;)

The FFL that I deal with handles his business just like you. That helps me out and before I buy a out of state gun, I give him first chance to find the same item for me.

freebullet
11-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Am I missing something? Is anything up for swapping & sellin in this thread?

jmort
11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
"Am I missing something?"

I missed it, you didn't. So no, you did more than just read the post which is what I did. Only took 83 posts to get there. Probably an "Our Town" topic.

BrassMagnet
11-23-2013, 03:28 PM
2AMMD

I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I am out of line I apologize.
When a state makes laws banning private transfer, some FFL holders believe they now own the gold mine. Instead, they own a hole in the ground that will soon be valueless.
Other FFL holders treat you like a friend and set their fee at what they perceive to be their cost and do the transfer as a favor in hopes you will shop in their place rather than the "Big Box" with the big fees.

jonp
11-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Rip off. Mine charges $15. I have paid $25 but I won't pay any higher. Really, to fill out a sheet and call it in?

andremajic
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
A whole lot of misinformation on this thread. I suggest the whiners get their own FFL and then they can transfer to themselves for free!

Too true, I believe the ATF fee is from 30 to 200 dollars, depending on the 1 of 8 available FFL licenses. Renewed every 3 years.
You'll need a small business license for your local area. I'd suggest a LLC to prevent your house/personal assets becoming a liability.

I would highly recommend that if you are in a position to apply and do the paperwork to get one! You can make a bit o' side income if you're good with paperwork.

Plus you can help out other gun enthusiasts in your area with something that takes a lot of time away from those gun shops that are too busy with customers to handle.

It's a win-win.

Here's some Q&A about how to get a FFL from a website devoted to the facts.
http://www.ffl123.com/ffl-license-frequently-asked-questions-ffl-faqs/

meshugunner
11-24-2013, 11:35 AM
As long as there has not been a recent change at UPS, the only thing that has to go express is handguns. Rifles can be shipped by regular shipping. I ran into UPS depots that tried to make me use 2nd day on a rifle and I left and came back with a print out of their policies and that took care of that.

Then I am corrected. I ship FedEx and my recollection is that they do require 2 day Express which cost about $35. My "knowledge about UPS is second hand and I've never shipped a rifle. I should check out UPS and see if I can do better.

Black Powder Bill
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Rip off. Mine charges $15. I have paid $25 but I won't pay any higher. Really, to fill out a sheet and call it in?

This topic rubs me in more than one way!

If you think $25.00 is a rip off and think filling out a "sheet" is all that is done. You are very misinformed in the operations of the FFL business.

I'm required by law to sell you a trigger lock at an additional expense.
As required via state law sales tax.
Since the transfer of a firearm has a paper trail to the moon and back of which an FFL has to keep
That list is also inspected by the ATFe more of my time that is not funded.
The license fee itself.
Local zoning laws
Register as a business or DBA
Phone
business cards
internet fees
insurance
"Spending an hour on the phone to a guy who never gives you his name so he can pick your brain". Best of all in 30 years of operations, I've only sold like 6 reloading manuals. Yea most of the time I give a pamphlet manual out.

In other words the FFL is required to preform all kinds of unfunded mandate's. Those fees have to end up someplace.

The days of the continual freebies to customers have come to an end.
The constant outcry for donations to support every association from gun to the feel good clubs.
Raffle tickets OMG don't even get me started on raffle tickets.
Most of which do not support the FFL.

As the example I made earlier with the Browning. He could have purchased a clays model from me, free of defects. But he choose to make the purchase from Gander Mtn.
OR have a guy show up at your door with a wholesale catalogue and ask if you can get a rifle for the price listed? Yes their are people that bold. Like the manager at work who had me purchase 2 22's for him and he didn't even consider I was going to mark them up. He was so bold he held his had out for the .25c change he was due. Then he wanted a few boxes of 22 cartridges. That didn't happen...nor did I order any more firearms for him.

I spend 4 decades doing freebies for a variety of sporting associations in NY and other states. Taking days away from hunting,fishing,trapping,family. Burning vacation days while others in the association were out doing what they pleased only to show up at a meeting or banquet and tell you, you never do anything! All because they had to come early to set up tables and chairs.

It's time for some people to cough up what is long over due.

My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates.

If sportsmen want handouts, I hear the government gives to those based on need. You just have to be willing give something up in return.

Rifle 57
11-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Non FFL holders [CAN] ship long guns in the USPS but they can not ship hand guns by USPS.

Bored1
11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
$15 is what I pay a local pawnshop for transfers. Not the best part of town, but really really nice guy. Never leave with just the transfered gun either. Good thing about a pawnshop is they have EVERYTHING. Last time I went to pick up 2 revolvers ended up spending more than the 30$ transfer fees on other tools, targets, some scrap silver, and a weird looking screwdriver. Also always check for guns with him before buying at another pawnshop. GOOD GUY.

As long as he is in business, I will use him only for transfers. IF you charge more than 15$ thats your right as a business owner, however its also my right to find the best shop to fit my needs. To each there own. Some are happy to spend more for something they feel is "better" however, I work hard for the little bit of spending cash I do have, and want to make it go as far as possible.

jonp
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
This topic rubs me in more than one way!

If you think $25.00 is a rip off and think filling out a "sheet" is all that is done. You are very misinformed in the operations of the FFL business.

I'm required by law to sell you a trigger lock at an additional expense.
As required via state law sales tax.
Since the transfer of a firearm has a paper trail to the moon and back of which an FFL has to keep
That list is also inspected by the ATFe more of my time that is not funded.
The license fee itself.
Local zoning laws
Register as a business or DBA
Phone
business cards
internet fees
insurance
"Spending an hour on the phone to a guy who never gives you his name so he can pick your brain". Best of all in 30 years of operations, I've only sold like 6 reloading manuals. Yea most of the time I give a pamphlet manual out.

In other words the FFL is required to preform all kinds of unfunded mandate's. Those fees have to end up someplace.

The days of the continual freebies to customers have come to an end.
The constant outcry for donations to support every association from gun to the feel good clubs.
Raffle tickets OMG don't even get me started on raffle tickets.
Most of which do not support the FFL.

As the example I made earlier with the Browning. He could have purchased a clays model from me, free of defects. But he choose to make the purchase from Gander Mtn.
OR have a guy show up at your door with a wholesale catalogue and ask if you can get a rifle for the price listed? Yes their are people that bold. Like the manager at work who had me purchase 2 22's for him and he didn't even consider I was going to mark them up. He was so bold he held his had out for the .25c change he was due. Then he wanted a few boxes of 22 cartridges. That didn't happen...nor did I order any more firearms for him.

I spend 4 decades doing freebies for a variety of sporting associations in NY and other states. Taking days away from hunting,fishing,trapping,family. Burning vacation days while others in the association were out doing what they pleased only to show up at a meeting or banquet and tell you, you never do anything! All because they had to come early to set up tables and chairs.

It's time for some people to cough up what is long over due.

My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates.

If sportsmen want handouts, I hear the government gives to those based on need. You just have to be willing give something up in return.
I was speaking of my state not NY. Things are insane up there and if that is where you chose to do business and comply with all of the dictates then that is ok by me. That's your choice.
No state sales tax, no zoning laws that cost extra, everyone has internet and a phone by now I hope, business cards don't cost a great deal. So what we are talking about is insurance and keeping the paperwork for an inspection.

"My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates. "
If my FFL, who works out of his house, picks up all of the business that other guys are ripping off people to the tune of $50 or more than it pays for itself many times over. That indeed is how business operates. Check Walmart on this.

Don't get angry with me because NY is a gun control hellhole of the States own making.

rromeo
11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I am out of line I apologize.
When a state makes laws banning private transfer, some FFL holders believe they now own the gold mine. Instead, they own a hole in the ground that will soon be valueless.
Other FFL holders treat you like a friend and set their fee at what they perceive to be their cost and do the transfer as a favor in hopes you will shop in their place rather than the "Big Box" with the big fees.

I don't know about other states that require FFLs for instate sales, just about California. If the sale is between two CA residents that show up together, it's limited to $35 total which is $25 for the state fee, and $10 "profit" for the dealer. If it's a transfer that is shipped to the dealer, then they can charge whatever they like.

Out where I now live, $20-30 seems average. My favored store charges $20 for unlimited guns. So far I've bought more from their stock than I've transferred.

eljefe
11-24-2013, 08:24 PM
About two years or so ago, I had an individual send me a gun to be transferred. The only problem was, it was the wrong gun. Of course the simpleton said for me to "just send it back"...not really an option. It got to be a big convoluted mess. Subsequently, I only accept from individuals if the firearm is being transferred to one of my regular customers. I will not get into fees, etc., because that is largely regional. I will say, however, that doing a transfer does not end with the NICS approval. I have had to respond to numerous ATF trace requests over the years on transferred firearms. I charge what I think I need to do the job, and the customer is free to accept or reject, no hard feelings either way.

sparky45
11-25-2013, 08:21 PM
I agree with eljefe on the take it or leave it approach. I have noticed one thing, at least in my area, that those who charge over $25 for a firearm transfer, aren't nearly as busy now as they were before they raised their fees. One in particular that went from $20 to $50 per transfer has lost considerable business. He now works part time for USPS, I think. He changed his fee per transfer last Sept. and I found another FFL holder that has transfered/sold 11 firearms for me since then. So, anybody can set there rates at any price they want, as with my previous dealer, he might as well of charged $500 per transfer, he lost my business forever.
That's my definition of " cost of doing business".

w0fms
11-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Another resource to find an inexpensive FFL to transfer stuff to is to look at the big mail order C&R dealers like Aim Surplus. That is how I found the gunsmith I used and referred many others to.

eljefe
11-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I have yet to see a dealer rely solely on transfers as a source of revenue. Maybe kitchen table dealers...there aren't too many of them in my area. If a dealer has to go out of business due to a lack of transfers, he probably should not have been in business in the first place.

As I posted previously, transfer fees are largely regional. What seems outrageous to some is cheap to others.

youngda9
11-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Most are $25 and up. It takes time to process and store the forms. Receive, catalogue, and store the item. And it takes time to interface with the customer (couple phone calls plus time to deliver item). $25 seems fair.

My guy charges $10.

Jay561
11-26-2013, 10:59 AM
My first FFL transfer cost this much. It was pretty much the LGS telling me to go away.

Trey45
11-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Every FFL around here charges 50 per transfer. A few years ago I bought 5 pistols, it would have cost me 250 to transfer them, a friend of mine found a FFL that charges 25 per form 4473. You can transfer 5 on a single form, it cost me 25 bucks instead of 250. That FFL is my go to guy now.

Echo
11-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I just gave a sporterized Springfield -03 to my HS chum (whose gun stash was stolen, and deer season is nigh). My smith neighbor charged me a total of $57.26,shipping and insurance included, and feel that was a good deal.

double8
11-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Ya! Mine charges $15..up from $12.50. We sit and chat in his office while I fill out the paperwork. He calls it in, completes his part of the deal...we're done. He has overhead for sure, but he can be working [or chatting] during the transfer paperwork. The phone call is on speed dial, he maybe has 5 minutes time tied up. Sure can't see those $50-$100 charges.

jonp
11-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Every FFL around here charges 50 per transfer. A few years ago I bought 5 pistols, it would have cost me 250 to transfer them, a friend of mine found a FFL that charges 25 per form 4473. You can transfer 5 on a single form, it cost me 25 bucks instead of 250. That FFL is my go to guy now.
Funny how that happens and my point exactly. If a guy charges you $100 and you don't think that's fair are you going to use him again?