PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for feedback

RIjake
11-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm resizing/lubing .45ACP 230g RN to.452 with a Lyman 450. Lube is BAC. I am not using a heater but did warm up the base and cast pieces first. This is what I'm getting. It's 4 vertical lines where the lube is coming out of the holes in the die. My question is, is this enough lube or should I rotate the bullet to get an even coating around the circumference? Also how do I deal with the extra lube that is around the nose? Wipe off after reloading is complete?

Thanks!
Marc

Walter Laich
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
It would appear that you have the bullet going too far down in the sizing die. No lube should end up on the nose if you are the right depth. Raise the adjustment till the bullet no longer has these lines of lube on the nose.

I have the same problems sometimes when it's cold outside and my luber hasn't warmed up enough. I do turn mine until I have the lube groove(s) filled. As the luber comes up to temp and I keep a fair amount of pressure on the lube column this will go away.

I've used a trouble light leaned against my luber to warm it up faster

walt

guicksylver
11-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Too deep and try a cheap hair dryer, works great

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 12:27 PM
it appears you are only sizing part of the boolit which will allow lube to squirt up the sides.
looks like a tumble lube mold also.

mdi
11-21-2013, 12:28 PM
How are the bands filling out? Are you getting lube in all the grooves? Don't have a 450, so this post is just a FWIW...

ShooterAZ
11-21-2013, 02:52 PM
From the pics, it looks to me that the boolit may be undersized and Tumble lube design. While it is possible to get some lube in the very small grooves, it's not the ideal situation.

RIjake
11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
So ShooterAZ, you're saying that the boolit mold is designed to tumble lube not lube in a Lyman 450? It is a Lee double cavity. It doesn't seem that it's undersized because after resizing them they are a very tight fit in my cases.

ShooterAZ
11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Marc,

Yes, that boolit is designed for tumble lube. The traditional style will have much fewer or only one deeper lube groove(s). I have tried doing what you are doing with my RCBS LAM2, and it did fill the tiny grooves. Maybe try a little more lube pressure, or switch to a conventional style boolit? As to sizing, hard to tell from the pic, but it doesn't appear that the boolit is getting sized much or at all. For less than $20 you can get another 2 Cavity mold, LEE 452-228-1R (on sale at Midway right now). They make in 6 cavity also. If you'd like to get better quality, go with RCBS molds.

Or...you you could use some LLA or 45/45/10 and tumble lube them.

williamwaco
11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Do yourself a favor.

Get a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox, or White Lable Xlox and a one quart zip lock bag.

See

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=6986f254fee610be9f88b568b6335189

Don't be turned off by their unprofessional web site. They have good stuff and have given me good service.

RIjake
11-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I'll try the tumble lube method.