PDA

View Full Version : ?? 45 Long Colt Lever decision>>>> help.

retiredPO
11-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I started Loading 45 long colt for my sons pistol and my daughters judge... I have fallen in love with the bullet,
and I love lever guns.. so the decision is for a 62 yr old.. not highly technical.. just like to shoot a lot... which
would be the best bet for me. also easy on the pocketbook wouldnt break my heart.....And I definately dont have a problem with older guns, I load for and shoot my 1884 trapdoor and 1862 .58 cal.... so like me ...age is not an issue.
thanks

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 12:55 PM
bout the best I could recommend is an older used rossi model 92.
the 45 colt was not an original lever gun round the 44-40 was it has a large enough rim to work properly.
the only issue I see is I rarely see to many of these rifles for sale on the used market.

Ramjet-SS
11-22-2013, 12:00 AM
That's easy buy the American Made Henry.
Great looking proud to own and take on a hunt or to the range.
Smooth as silk.
Scary scary accurate.
Reliable.
Top notch customer service by a company who cares about the people who purchase their product.
Strong action for plus P loads.
Works well with open sights or scope or receiver peep sights from Skinner.

Rooster59
11-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Rossi is my choice. It easily handles and shoots 300gr Lee bullets at levels exceeding Ruger only loads.

Artful
11-22-2013, 01:19 AM
If I could swing it, I'd look for a Marlin, Rossi would be second

gmsharps
11-22-2013, 01:35 AM
I have a first year winchster 94 trapper in 45 colt that I like and a Euberti yellow boy in 45 colt also. Euberti also has made the 1873 in 45 colt. A lot of choices out there just have to decide how much you want to spend and what version you have to have.

gmsharps

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-22-2013, 01:44 AM
I have a Uberti/Cimarron Arms Model of 1873 in 45 Colt. It is the deluxe pistol grip checkered on grip and forearm model with 26" octagon barrel and full magazine. crescent butt plate. Color case hardened frame. I bought it several years ago, before they doubled in price between 2008 and 2012. I was a cowboy action shooter before turning 64 and having "Uncle Arthur(itis) coming to live with me. If you are interested, PM me.

Rich

jh45gun
11-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Some folks complain about Rossi but they are fine as far as I am concerned. Some folks used to complain about Henry ten years ago too but you seldom hear any one complain about them now.

Lonegun1894
11-22-2013, 02:14 AM
I have a Rossi 92 and a Winchester 94 and recommend the Rossi over the Winchester just due to the 92 action being made for handgun-length rounds while the 94 is made for .30-30 length rounds and doesn't feed the .45 Colt quiet as smoothly as the 92 action. I also like the 1:30" ROT of the Rossi over the 1:16" ROT of the Winchester as the slower twist allows plain base cast boolits to be fired as higher velocities without leading the barrel. I know this may not make a difference if your use is limited to ligh loads that you only paper-punch with, but makes a difference when you use yours for hunting like I do. Also, the Rossi is nice and light weight for those days when you have to carry it for longer distances. I want to say my 20" Rossi .45 weighs about 5.5 lbs per my bathroom scale, vs my 16" Winchester 94 .45 being 6.5 lbs. Neither is heavy by any means, but it does make a difference towards the end of a long day.

wrench man
11-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Marlin 1894, mines a Cowboy limited with a 24" octagon barrel, the LGS has had a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt on the rack for over a year now, if the owner of the shop handed it to me I'd leave it sitting on the counter.

Lonegun1894
11-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Always though it was amazing how some people can love one design while hating another. And I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else, but still find it amusing. Except when it comes to leverguns. Like almost all of them as long as they have a tube magazine.

Airman Basic
11-22-2013, 06:10 AM
You'll hear everything but meat fryin' and money jinglin', but I bought a Rossi 16 in. 357 yesterday, took it straight to the range, shot every 38 and 357 I had loaded up, couldn't ask for better. Ate everything I threw at it with no bobbles and good accuracy.

bangerjim
11-22-2013, 06:11 AM
I have the Rossi lever action in both 38/357 and 45LC and have not had any of the problems everybody bitches about on here. Both are easy shooting and fun to use. No hang-ups or jams except on the 38 when I try full WC's!

45LC is my favorite cal to cast, load, and shoot also!

"The bullet that won the west".

bangerjim

retiredPO
11-22-2013, 07:33 AM
WOW.... that did get me a load to chew on.... will be hitting the gun shows and watching the papers.... thank you all for the
opinions.... looking forward to making my choice.....

btroj
11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
My Marlin 1894 CB with a 24 inch barrel is a great shooter. Feeds almost any bullet well. Doesn't lead with about any sane load. It has gone on a few deer hunts with me, shot a couple pigs with it too.

Pb2au
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Another vote for the Rossi 92.
Mine has been a good shooter and accurate.

Ragnarok
11-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I own a Marlin 'Cowboy' with 20" barrel in .45 Colt. Shoots and feeds great..however won't feed semi-wadcutters.

John Boy
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I have 2 Rossi 45 Colts. One has over 12,000 rounds of BP reloads down the bore. Been field stripped 3 times, no broken parts and no jams. Just make sure the cases are properly roll crimped so the case mouth doesn't hang up when chambering ... which is necessary for any straight wall case.
Accuracy? No complaints out to 200yds
Here's a link how to tune up a Rossi ... http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

snaketail
11-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I have a Rossi 92 .454 that I use to shoot .45 Colt. Bought it new, it was a bit stiff at first, but the more I shot it the better it got. Mine is stainless steel and feeds everything I've fed it so far - best accuracy is with 250gr SWC over Unique powder. All the Rossi .45s are going to like .454 Boolits best, they will lead the bore if you use .452s that are made for .45acp. Yes, .002 makes a difference in accuracy and leading.

1Papalote
11-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Find a 24" Marlin Cowboy.

1Papalote

Lonegun1894
11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
For what it is worth, the guy who are suggesting the Marlin do have a very valid point if you want to use a scope. I use irons, so prefer the Rossi, but my only option for a scope is a scout-type forward of the receiver should I ever change my mind. Marlin can mount one in the traditional over the receiver position, even though there is nothing traditional about a scope on a levergun. I mean, who in their right mind would disgrace a rifle like that???:kidding:

ReloaderFred
11-22-2013, 01:34 PM
We have two of the Marlin 24" 1894CB's in .45 Colt. They're both sweet shooters and great rifles. The action on the Marlin smooths out better than the 92's, as I've shot them both side by side. Both of our Marlins will feed any shape bullet we've tried, including 265 gr. SWC bullets, which definitely aren't made for shooting in leveraction rifles......

Hope this helps.

Fred

sparky45
11-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Go with the Rossi! I have two, one in 38/357 with a 20" barrel and the other in 44/40 and 24" barrel. Both are as smooth as silk after I followed the instructions of "Steves Gunz". Easy to perform the cleaning procedures and minor tweaks he suggests. Plus, you can save some money by going Rossi. I bought my 44/40 last month for $495 to my door. The gun is NEW and is in Stainless Steel. You won't be sorry.

hanleyfan
11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Besides you can not find a marlin in 45 colt thats for sale and when they are get ready to lay out serious cash for one. the ones I have seen are 850.00 and up for one. The Rossi is readily available for around 450.00 to 475.00.

smkummer
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
I would have to believe the Rem-Marlins quality will come up. With that in mind for $600 retail, it would be a marlin for me. I like shooting fellow forum member sixpointfive's 24 in. cowboy in 45 Colt. The only reason I do not have one is because I am making my 70's vintage 1894 Marlin in 44 mag. work with a lee 200 FP bullet unsized in cowboy action shooting.

osteodoc08
11-22-2013, 05:05 PM
On the cheap (not that they are cheaply made)------Rossi
Middle of the road------Marlin
unlimited budget------custom

I prefer my Marlins. I have a 24" CB model and love it. I want to add another or a Winchester sometime

Ramjet-SS
11-22-2013, 09:15 PM
The Remlins are good if you have the action smoothed and worked of they are rough and gritty feeling. The Rossi quality is suspect at best and yes I have owned all three mentioned here the best of the bunch without question has been the Henry great out of the box accurate smooth and built quality.

New Marlins you get what you pay for.
Rossi you get less than you pay for.
Henry exceeds the price in every category.

UNIQUEDOT
11-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Henry exceeds the price in every category.

I've owned a few Henry's, but I wouldn't pay a nickel...well maybe a nickel for the big boys as there's no loading gate. Prototypes had the gate, but it was omitted from production for whatever reasons. I went with Rossi and believe it to have been a fantastic bargain.

propwashp47
11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
snaketail I like your rear sight . who makes it? I wood like to get one for my emf/ rossi Hartford, it is also ss. I hope to load my 1st hard cast lee 255s from hardball and lee TL this week end.thanks

Airman Basic
11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Go with the Rossi! I have two, one in 38/357 with a 20" barrel and the other in 44/40 and 24" barrel. Both are as smooth as silk after I followed the instructions of "Steves Gunz". Easy to perform the cleaning procedures and minor tweaks he suggests. Plus, you can save some money by going Rossi. I bought my 44/40 last month for $495 to my door. The gun is NEW and is in Stainless Steel. You won't be sorry.
Found his site. Where's the instructions you mentioned?

Airman Basic
11-23-2013, 12:59 PM
On the cheap (not that they are cheaply made)------Rossi
Middle of the road------Marlin
unlimited budget------custom

Guess I'm old fashioned, maybe just old, but $500 for the Rossi just don't fall in the cheap category for me.

propwashp47
11-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I am with you there $55.00is not cheep.I got my emf Hartford used at a round $400.00 and sold a new rossi 44 mag blue 24 in bl for $425.00 and had paid $530 for with the ffl . but I am more than happy with the upgrade

TXGunNut
11-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm happy with my 94AE Trapper but if I were looking today I'd probably go with a Puma/Rossi and wouldn't pass on a Marlin CB. Dunno about the Henrys. Maybe I'm prejudiced against rifles without loading gates.

sparky45
11-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Look on Steve's page again, on the left hand side and click on the DVD, it's contained within. I bought the DVD a year ago when I got my 38/357 and used the instructions on it to disassemble and re-assemble the 92. I replaced the plastic magazine follower and the ejector spring along with lapping all the "flat" parts to remove the sharp edges. Let me tell you, the edges are sharp enough to cut by carelessly picking up the parts. The before action and after action is like night and day, really made a huge difference in how the gun runs. Also, there are usually remnants of milling procedures contained within the action that needs to be cleaned out. I used Brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) to do the job. Over all both the 92's now run great and shoot very well (accurately). I think the DVD is like $29 from Steve's Gunz, the quality is somewhat poor but is a great instructional video.

btroj
11-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Much comes down to availability, price, and personal preference.

I like my Marlin CB because of the 24 inch barrel. I would consider a Rossi but Henry with no loading gate leaves me cold. Just my preference.

Gee_Wizz01
11-23-2013, 06:02 PM
My only complaint about the Henry is the 8.6 Lb weight. I can live without a loading gate. I have Rossi's in 44 Mag and 45 Colt and I have had no problems with them. Both are accurate and feed everything I load. For an interesting .45 Colt, I have a Taurus Thunderbolt. I know there are a lot of complaints about the Thunderbolt, but I got a good one and it shoots great.

G

Poohgyrr
11-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Whichever one comes home with you, a good Lever in 45LC is a good thing to have.

retiredPO
11-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Gun Show in Des Moines tomorrow morning,.... the quest begins....
thanks... Ill let you know if i score.

Gunslinger1911
11-29-2013, 07:45 PM
I'll add in my Win 94 Trapper (with aftermarket "John Wayne" loop), and Uberti Henry ( kind of like the no forend look). Shoot the snot out of each. Win not real happy with SWC.

schutzen
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
I have a Winchester 94 AE and a Marlin 94CB with the octagon barrel. I like the Winchester, but I love the Marlin. I have six lever guns and the Marlin CB .45 is by far my favorite.

Ramjet-SS
11-29-2013, 08:56 PM
I've owned a few Henry's, but I wouldn't pay a nickel...well maybe a nickel for the big boys as there's no loading gate. Prototypes had the gate, but it was omitted from production for whatever reasons. I went with Rossi and believe it to have been a fantastic bargain.

I will tell you why I like the tube loading;

When unloading the tube out you only have to lever one round out. SAFER

So if you judge the gun on that one feature frankly you are short sided as all the qualities make the Henry a fantastic American made Rifle. More positives than negatives.

Ramjet-SS
11-29-2013, 09:02 PM
My only complaint about the Henry is the 8.6 Lb weight. I can live without a loading gate. I have Rossi's in 44 Mag and 45 Colt and I have had no problems with them. Both are accurate and feed everything I load. For an interesting .45 Colt, I have a Taurus Thunderbolt. I know there are a lot of complaints about the Thunderbolt, but I got a good one and it shoots great.

G

The 30-30 brass has the best of both worlds. I just do not see the loading gate as big issue tube load is easier and unloading is safer. But everyone has there own preferences.........mine safe and American Made, high quality and great customer service. Henry has all that. Way higher quality than the Rossi or the Remlin. Again I have owned all three now own 3 Henry's and a customized Remlin so that I could get it to function as well as the Henry. The Rossi is just truck gun and in caliber not common to Leverguns so I got it but had allot of issues with it fixed them and hoping that no more crop up.

kingemandigger
12-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I second the notion of getting an older rossi 92 in 45 colt. The 1892 action is very strong and you can load up some pretty hot rounds if you want to. Also, with some use, the action will smooth out and shoot really well. I currently own a newer chiappa 1892 by cimarron firearms (45 colt, 24 in octagonal barrel. The fit and finish is wonderful, and the action is smooth as butter right out of the box. One of these is a bit more expensive than the rossi, unfortunately. I load my 45s with blue dot, which is an excellent powder for this purpose in my opinion... b/w 12 & 13 grains depending on boolit weight produces standard pressures with a little more oomph than factory, and great accuracy characteristics.8979989800

superior
12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I love the Rossi with stout loads of Hs6,2400, and H110

avogunner
12-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I love my Uberti 1860 Henry.....it's accurate, fast, and just plain fun to shoot.

robertbank
12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I have two Rossis and am happy with both. As a more "experienced" shooter ie age 69 I have shoulders that don't enjoy recoil anymore. The .44Mag with any load resembling factory was brutal on the shoulder with the crescent shaped butt plate. A 'smith solved that problem with a flat recoil pad and now the gun is a joy to shoot. If you intend shot heavy loads in your .45Colt version I would strongly suggest a recoil pad purchase.

I do like the Marlins. I have a 336W made in 2009 by Remington and it is well made, fit and finish is excellent and it shoots cast boolits. That said a Marlin would cost me close to a grand up here and the Rossis run around $600. I still want a Marlin for scoping though as the eyes aren't what they once were. Consider the latter point. A quality gun that you can't see the sights isn't much more than a glorified sling shot.

Take Care

Bob

retiredPO
12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Bob... thanks for the advice.... there have been all kinds of great suggestions and expierence to pic from... I agree with the recoil pad, Since I retired, my wife got tired of me being around, and told me to get busy doing something away from home, I started Soil Sampling 10 weeks in the fall and 4 weeks in the spring... and we get paid by the acre, so of course I have to go fast ( its in the blood) and some serious crashes.. have tore the sholders up pretty good.... so recoil pad is a must, and most guns are a bit short for me anyway, so the pad gives me that extra inch I need (sounds familiar) thanks again....

snaketail
12-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Propwash47 -
The tang sight is from Marbles. I bought the suggested one and then replaced it with the "Improved" one so that I could change the sight posts - the first one was out of elevation at 50 yards. The "Improved" is only halfway up at 200 yards - much better. Get the "Improved" - you'll be much happier.
M

TheCelt
12-22-2013, 06:38 PM
All the rifles listed are good shooters. See if you can "try a few on for size" and see what fits you the best. The 1873 is a toggle bolt gun and is not quite as stout as the model 92s and 94s or the Marlins. fact is ALL of the modern lever guns are good rifles and as you have discovered the 45 Colt is fun to shoot!

old sparky
12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I have 3 1894 marlins. 1 - 357 2 - 45's one 20" the other 24" two 1873's in 45 a 20" and a 24" all are fine rifles but do somthing better than the other. The 73's are smooth and I can shoot them faster they are the toggle action designed for a pistol caliber in those days black powder that didnt reach the pressures of today. I got them for cowboy action shooting and they can flat put some lead down range. I can not shoot them as accurate at 100 yards but their sights are not as good so that plays into that. The marlins are more accurate and can shoot stout loads if your wanting to hunt with them that could be a consideration. I have worked up loads for the marlins to shoot rifle Sillywet with 240 and 300 grain boolits in the marlins. they will shoot 1.5" - 2"ish groups at 100 yards. I have tried alot of powder boolit combinations and thats about it. Now I got a marlin 1894 in 357 its a shooter. I never had a rossi 1892 several guys I shot with in cowboy action did. I dont have a idea about accuracy since distances were so short but I do know they were not designed to shoot as fast as they were shooting and they had feeding jamming issues from having someone lever them sloppy. So they got work on them and somtimes it worked and somtimes that created new issues. I would love to play with a 92 for accuracy. Nothing compairs to a good running 73 for smooth levering with a plinking load! I love my marlins they are quaility not quite as fast but no dog can shoot any ammo out there. If you want target accuracy the 45 is not the best choice. I have seen several people set out to make it be but they have the same results. The 357 and 44 just group better. I still love the 45 and wont get rid of the marlins and another may follow me home.

thats my .02 cents

joec
12-23-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm also a Rossi man for lever guns and have 3 of them. My 45 Colt is an octagon barreled model with the other a round barrel 454 Casull. The last is a Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70. I also suggest go with a newer one as some of the older models are hit and miss as are the new ones but easier to fix due to more consistent machining.

Clark
12-23-2013, 02:14 PM
I bought a Win 94 trapper 16.25" barrel for $299 at BIG5 in 2004, took it to the range and shot a group at 50 meters with open sights.

KCSO
12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
I have had them all and my current 45 Colt gun is not a lever but a pump, a Lightning. But if i had to have a levergun in 45 Colt again i would probably choose a Rossi. The price difference between the Rossi and the Puma isn't balanced by extra quality. I had several of the more expensive 45 Colt levers from the Charles Daly to the Marlin 24" barreled Cowboy and The Rossi's i have had shot just as good for a lot less money. I don't admire the stock shapes or the roughness of the Rossi and occasionally you have to send a bum one back but they smooth up easy and for a lot less than the price difference. Bear in mind that with the leverguns in 45 Colt you will be working the case down more during resizing but case life is still acceptable.

Ramjet-SS
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
The 44-40 is sweet I have no idea if they will come out with 45 colt or not but the Big Boy in the same caliber is treat to shoot and will out many high dollar center fire rifles I have owned. Recoil is low because it is a heavier rifle but like all lever actions carries easy with it thin receiver.

By the way I am drooling over one of the 44-40 reproductions I want one and probably will order one soon. What a wonderful American made classic.

retiredPO
01-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Hivelocity tipped me off to a post for a Rossi.... got it... 425 plus shipping... I feel like its gonna be a treat.... I have both
452 and 454 molds.... so let the loadmatching begin.... God life is good.....

kbstenberg
01-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Retired PO Good morning
I don't mean to rain on your parade. Have you checked out the Rossi website. it is run by our Ranch Dog. It has a tutorial on smoothing out the rough spots on the Rossi actions. Just trying to give a Helping hand. Kevin

retiredPO
01-02-2014, 11:00 AM
No rain here... just snow.... yes I have been on the RD site, and joined, and read,... the gun I bought has already had many of the modifications needed to smooth out.... but even if i have to do more to it.... thats part of the bonding process....
thanks for the heads up.

Maximumbob54
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Bought the R92 in .44 magnum and would buy it all over again. Looking for the carbine .357 magnum next. Will likely end up with the .45 Colt with the octagon barrel at some point. It's sad that Brazil makes a better 1892 than I can buy that's made in the US these days. I won't complain about Remlin twice in the same day. Henry? I pass on the lack of a loading gate. Safer? Never heard of a slam fire or whatever from ejecting out the unused ammo from an 1892. Sounds like they just saved some money making them with a rimfire tube load instead of the traditional loading gate. And Henry is anything but cheap. But they do look snappy in the brass. The brass skinner sights really top them off well.

KCSO
01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I will be picking up tonight and posting tomorrow a 45 LC Marlin Cowboy, an origianl with the 24" barrel. Probably looking at $600 and will post in swapping and selling.

TheCelt
01-08-2014, 05:01 PM
I will be picking up tonight and posting tomorrow a 45 LC Marlin Cowboy, an origianl with the 24" barrel. Probably looking at $600 and will post in swapping and selling.

That model is probably the most accurate 45 Colt rifle I ever shot!!!! It'd cloverleave 200gr Lee RNFP in front of 6 gr of clays at 50 yards.