PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894c

wire nut
11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a marlin 1894c pre safety that I bought used. The magazine tube band that holds the mag. to the barrell is in front of the front site. Should the band be there or behind the front site. I also noticed that the band will turn on the barrell and let the mag. tube turn out of line with the barrell. I tried tighting the band screw but it did not help. Any suggestions. Thanks Jim

imashooter2
11-16-2007, 07:02 PM
How long is the barrel? My 2001 vintage 1894C has an 18.5 inch barrel and the band on the receiver side of the sight.

beemer
11-16-2007, 10:22 PM
My 1894 Marlin has the 18.5 in. barrel and it is pre-saftey. The barrel band is in front of the front sight. There should be a small notch under the barrel and on top of the mag tube that the barrel band screw fits through.

beemer

wire nut
11-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I didn't measure the barrell but it appears to be 18.5 inches. The person I bought the gun from had butchered up the screw in the mag. band and this caused me to wonder if he had put it back in the wrong place. Thanks wire nut

BCB
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree with beemer. My 1894C is pre-safety and it has the barrel band in front of the front sight. There does appear to be notches in the magazine tube and the bottom of the barrel. I didn't unscrew the screw to see. But, mine has never been "torn apart" so the band is where it was placed when it left the factory. Good-luck...BCB

beemer
11-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Wire nut

The screw should be a snug fit in the notches between the barrel and tube, that is what holds the parts in place. If the screw has been damaged or stripped the parts will shift and could change the point of impact. I would take it apart and check for damage and have it fixed if necessary.

The 1894 is one of the handiest little rifles I have ever owned. Mine is a 357 mag and has peep sights, it goes great with my Blackhawk.

beemer

wire nut
11-17-2007, 04:15 PM
The point of impact is my main concern.When the mag. tube shifts to the left the point of impact will be 8 inches high at 25 yds. I used it deer hunting last weekend and even though I killed one I missed 2 others standing still and fairly open shots at about 70 yds. I never thought that it would change the point of impact that much but it does with gun. It is a .357 mag by the way. Thanks Wire nut

chasw
11-27-2007, 11:47 PM
My M-1894 (with safety button) came with a 20" barrel and the band to the rear of the front sight. To recreate the original saddle carbine sight configuration, I had my gunsmith cut the barrel to 18.5 inches and cut a new dovetail for the front sight just behind the upper band.

If you look at old time Winchester SRCs you will see the front sight is always behind the upper band. This is to make it easy to get the barrel in and out of the saddle scabbard without too much scraping. Those oldtimers had it all their gear perfected for long days in the saddle. - CW