PDA

View Full Version : Ammo price increase!

oldred
11-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Ok who else got the E-Mail flyer from Widener's ammo sale this morning? I noticed at the top it had a note saying there is to be a LARGE price increase in 2014! :mad: Don't know if this is just a sales gimmick or a real warning but if it's true then while I don't buy much (if anything) in the way of loaded ammo it would seem this would also trickle down to the already grossly over-priced components.

novalty
11-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Saw a 50 round WWB of 45acp at Wally World last night for $24.97. They also had a 50 round box of Remington 9mm for $14.97. Those prices aren't that far from what it cost for 100 round a year or so ago.

lavenatti
11-21-2013, 07:42 AM
It's a sales gimmick. I don't even remember the last time I bought loaded ammo anyway...

captaint
11-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Only ammo I buy loaded is 22RF. They can keep the rest - at whatever price.
Mike

Garyshome
11-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Maybe they are having problems getting lead already.

oldred
11-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Maybe they are having problems getting lead already.

Even if not I bet there is already a big increase in lead prices!

bob208
11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
could be there is a medical devices tax per Obama care goes on sporting goods the first of the year

dragon813gt
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Most of the manufacturers get their lead from the secondary smelters. No one knows what's going to happen to the price of lead long term. But there are no problems at the current time. Nothing stays the same price for long anymore. And the manufacturers have seen the demand. Raw materials haven't increased that much. But Obamacare is not helping their bottom line. I don't see a valid reason for a big price increase.

Freightman
11-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Lead actually fell in price from yesterday, look on the lead board it has a market up and down site.

oldred
11-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Lead actually fell in price from yesterday, look on the lead board it has a market up and down site.

Well that's good news, with the EPA regulations causing the closing of the main source of raw lead I just "assumed" (dangerous word there) that prices would go up in a hurry but hopefully not. The suggestion that ammo prices might go higher because of higher lead prices was meant to be strictly speculation on my part and nothing more (I said "I bet" there is already a big increase lead prices), I probably should have chosen my words a bit more carefully.

GRUMPA
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
The way I see it they're marketing fear to increase profits.

dragon813gt
11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
The way I see it they're marketing fear to increase profits.

Hit the nail on the head. Looks like they've decided to use CTD's marketing tactics.

Moonman
11-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Increases are supposed to be in the 3 to 5% area.

Components are subject to WORLD COMMODITY PRICES, LEAD, BRASS, ETC.

Duckiller
11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Prices increase around the first of every year. If they didn't 22LR would still be $0.35 per box.

GRUMPA
11-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Hit the nail on the head. Looks like they've decided to use CTD's marketing tactics.

Acronym help please....CTD's??

jcwit
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
CTD= Cheaper Than Dirt.

Hickory
11-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Look for a lot of price increases in the future.

Someone has to pay for all the government workers in
charge of making the Affordable Care Act work.
If businesses have a price increase it is passed on to the costumer.

That means you, and me.

olereb
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I have no idea if its true but my FFL did tell me last week that he had been told by several people in the ammunition business that prices were going to skyrocket in 2014 due to some guberment stuff,i don't really buy ammo so I didn't get into it much but he isn't a price gouger and is usually in the know on this stuff.

bangerjim
11-21-2013, 09:24 PM
So why are we worrying about the cost of factory loads? We are here because we all roll our own! Who cares what the everyday Joe Bozos out there that have not discovered this addicting hobby are paying.

I sure do not care if 50 9mm's sell for $50 a box!

Let the suckers bite at those "special weekly deals" I see in the papers.

banger.

Bullshop Junior
11-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I actually bought a bunch of 270 factory shells last week at the grand total of...$12.86 a box. Bought two boxes then figured i cant barley load them for rhat so went back and bought the rest of what they had. The first time in my life i have ever bought non rimfire ammo....

Hickory
11-21-2013, 09:46 PM
So why are we worrying about the cost of factory loads?

Everything will go up in price, powder, primers, boolits, loading equipment and more.
This maybe the beginings of out of control inflation. I'd stock up now, Merry Christmas and an O'bummer New Year.

Garyshome
11-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Centerfire Systems has 7.62x39 steel case stuff for $.24/per with free shipping, right now!

dtknowles
11-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Even if not I bet there is already a big increase in lead prices!

Check the spot price on the lead and alloys forum the lead price as not move more than a few cents still less a buck a pound.

Tim

DBH45
11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Since this Country is apparantly not going to be producing Lead I would imagine the prices of same will rise.

bangerjim
11-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Since this Country is apparantly not going to be producing Lead I would imagine the prices of same will rise.

There are plenty of lead recycling plants in the US that will continue to make our magic element available at around a buck a pound for quite some time. And there is some talk of Doe Run building a new plant in MO.

banger

Taylor3006
11-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't all care that much about the price of ammo, I reload most of what I shoot. HOWEVER it may be a good idea to buy a few extra boxes of self defense ammo, I use only factory ammo in my home defense guns to avoid problems should I ever have to use it on a criminal in defense of life or property. Even in Texas, a lawyer may initiate a lawsuit to show how evil you are by reloading exceptionally deadly ammo to shoot someone with. I kid you not...

jcwit
11-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Its my understanding there has yet to be a case where handloaded ammo was deemed more deadly than factory ammo. I kid you not...

myg30
11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Academy Sports here in Nashville area had "Paint cans" 1500 rds of 22 LR, Not sure of the brand but I heard they were $75 maybe tax and ammo fee included too.
IS THIS NOT ALREADY INFLATED ??? $25 per 500 rds ?
Another web email I got had some 22lr at $49 brick, get em while they last ! Screw That ! I'll shoot my hi power air rifle before I'd pay $50 a brick.

Just me venting, Mike

MBTcustom
11-22-2013, 10:30 AM
This is awesome!
You mean to tell me that ammo come's already put together?!?! Seems kind of gucci, but it sure would save a lot of time if you could afford to buy it. What will they think of next?

Baron von Trollwhack
11-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Does anyone actually believe that ammo or components will ever return to last years, or the year before's retail levels?

myg30
11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Does anyone actually believe that ammo or components will ever return to last years, or the year before's retail levels?

YES !! Just like gasoline !

dragon813gt
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
So why are we worrying about the cost of factory loads?

Because there is a direct correlation between factory ammo and component cost. It would be naive to assume that component costs would stay the same as factory ammo went up. Component costs have been outpacing factory ammo as far as price increases for the past few years. We may or not be at the new normal. And no one is happy with the new normal.

jcwit
11-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Most certainly or very close to it. From another thread I replied to.

For those out there that think the current scalping price is the "new norm", consider the fact the retail price of high quality match ammo is still in the $70.00 to $150.00 a brick the same as it was 8 years ago. That's odd isn't it?

blackthorn
11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
So why are we worrying about the cost of factory loads? We are here because we all roll our own! Who cares what the everyday Joe Bozos out there that have not discovered this addicting hobby are paying.

I sure do not care if 50 9mm's sell for $50 a box!

Let the suckers bite at those "special weekly deals" I see in the papers.

banger.

When factory stuff goes up----our stuf will not be far behind!! So maybe you should rethink!

dakotashooter2
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't all care that much about the price of ammo, I reload most of what I shoot. HOWEVER it may be a good idea to buy a few extra boxes of self defense ammo, I use only factory ammo in my home defense guns to avoid problems should I ever have to use it on a criminal in defense of life or property. Even in Texas, a lawyer may initiate a lawsuit to show how evil you are by reloading exceptionally deadly ammo to shoot someone with. I kid you not...

This no longer applies. Under the current market it can be argued that commercial supplies are/were not readily available...............

dragon813gt
11-22-2013, 04:01 PM
It has never applied and is one of those rumors that persists. Massad Ayoob is one of the most vocal about not carrying reloads for self defense. I will continue to carry my own reloads.

xs11jack
11-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Is widener's the only one telling everyone that a big price increase is coming in 2014? I just read somewhere in the last few days that the military is ordering "Green Bullets", that is no lead projectiles. That will keep 3,000 tons of lead on the market each year. Anyone else heard anything about that or did those chilly cheese dogs give me nightmares?
Ole Jack

WILCO
11-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Look for a lot of price increases in the future.

Someone has to pay for all the government workers in
charge of making the Affordable Care Act work.
If businesses have a price increase it is passed on to the costumer.

That means you, and me.

Very few people actually understand economics 101 Hickory.